Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    I have no problem with you, just your attempts to derail the thread at every opportunity. There's a nets & comms section for networking questions.

If you really wanted to lean what happens when you use the wrong vlan tag you would just change the tag on a PC on your local network.

how am I de-railing this thread - it says "Rural FTTH thread" - I have only ever been talking about FTTH issues /qustions - if I had been asking about ADSL or fixed wireless then yes it would be off topic.

I have only had Fixed wireless and used routers without this Vlan tagging , so I dont know about it, its all new to me

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Ah jesus lads shake your dicks this is more off topic if anything.

More to the point though with this new Gigastation do you think the F2000 is going to see an upgrade soon? I want me some down firing LED's

tuxy wrote: »
    I have no problem with you, just your attempts to derail the thread at every opportunity. There's a nets & comms section for networking questions.

If you really wanted to lean what happens when you use the wrong vlan tag you would just change the tag on a PC on your local network.

haha - i'm laughing here now, "attempts to de-rail the thread!" .. yeah, I woke up this morning and I though "what shall I do today?? - I know , I will derail the FTTH thread!" Jeez! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

m99T wrote: »

More to the point though with this new Gigastation do you think the F2000 is going to see an upgrade soon? I want me some down firing LED's

It's only a Vodafone device is it not? Not manufactured by Huawei.

It's only a Vodafone device is it not? Not manufactured by Huawei.

Yeah it is, but the F2000 has been kicking around since 2014 with only a minor cosmetic changes. I know it looks good but i'd love to see something nicer looking from what is supposed to be the biggest telecoms operator in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Eir retail has been looking at other routers, but they aren't likely to change quick.

Look at what they did with the F1000. They got that and never organised any firmware upgrades for it. All F1000 are still on firmware release 1.0 unless you jailbreak them and flash them with the ZyXEL firmware.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Eir retail has been looking at other routers, but they aren't likely to change quick.

Look at what they did with the F1000. They got that and never organised any firmware upgrades for it. All F1000 are still on firmware release 1.0 unless you jailbreak them and flash them with the ZyXEL firmware.

/M

Is there any exploitable security vulns with 1.0? Asking for a friend.

Would be nice to see them go with something like a Fritz!Box but not as damn ugly.

Would be nice to see them go with something like a Fritz!Box but not as damn ugly.

Have you seen the new ones ? Also, Fritz!Box can also be got in black, but it's special order.

https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-7590/

7530 will look the same.

/M

Have you seen the new ones ? Also, Fritz!Box can also be got in black, but it's special order.

https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-7590/

7530 will look the same.

/M

Seen it yeah. I mean it looks better than the 1970's spaceships of old but it still has a wiff of the jeffersons about it in a time when routers looks like this:

google-wifi-6546-010.jpg
    amplfi-wifi-router.jpg?quality=98&strip=all
    maxresdefault.jpg

Even though the black one looks alright I still don't favour the design. Why should a router be big rectangle with lights? Why cant it be something that you would be proud to display. Something that provides useful information at a glance. Just my opinion though. I know they will never go for a design like these.

Why cant it be something that you would be proud to display. Something that provides useful information at a glance. Just my opinion though. I know they will never go for a design like these.

Washing machine comes to mind with that last one there :)

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

People want to DISPLAY their router?

:):)

/M

Hahah yeah I do see it. The google wifi is my favourite on design.

Ze Germans are fond of the more utilitarian designs.

Ze Germans are fond of the more utilitarian designs.

Deutschland Deutschland über alles!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

People want to DISPLAY their router?

:):)

On the ONT at least.

nanog-features-display.jpg

/M

i was thinking more like those expensive Dyson blade-less fans :D

the fritz box in black much better looking than the normal fritz box

51vxpmNMlgL._SX355_.jpg

ED E wrote: »
    On the ONT at least.

I have a few of those and an 8 port UFiber OLT on my desk here :) The idea with the display on that ONT is a really good idea. I also quite liked having the display in the Mikrotik routers.

It's actually something, that brings down support issues.

/M

i was thinking more like those expensive Dyson blade-less fans :D

the fritz box in black much better looking than the normal fritz box

That black Fritz seems fine to me. Although I don't really regard routers as furniture or decoration.

I have a few of those and an 8 port UFiber OLT on my desk here :) The idea with the display on that ONT is a really good idea. I also quite liked having the display in the Mikrotik routers.

It's actually something, that brings down support issues.

/M

Chances of some sneak peaks of behind the scenes testing?????

They do look very nice. I wonder what the signal level on the LoCo actually measures though.

Chances of some sneak peaks of behind the scenes testing?????

They do look very nice. I wonder what the signal level on the LoCo actually measures though.

It's planned for a trial in a business park outside Sligo, that has been left out by a few 100m in both directions.

Should be live in a month or two.

/M

• Advertisement

It's planned for a trial in a business park outside Sligo, that has been left out by a few 100m in both directions.

/M

Would love to get a chance to see it in operation some time. Massive UBNT fan boy as is probably evident.

Think you can run some fibre to those traffic lights on the main street and all? Every time i'm going back to Donegal one goes green as the other is red.

/M

Do you have to pay for duct access and if so who are you buying from?

Do you have to pay for duct access and if so who are you buying from?

The entire rollout is in a privately owned business park, with access to ducting provided to make this happen. Getting connectivity in is going to be a different matter.

It's just a place, that's basically completely left out and all they can get is (unreliable) fixed wireless at 20 Mbit/s or ADSL1 at 3-4 Mbit/s. And there are quite a few businesses in there. It's mad.

/M

Would love to get a chance to see it in operation some time. Massive UBNT fan boy as is probably evident.

Think you can run some fibre to those traffic lights on the main street and all? Every time i'm going back to Donegal one goes green as the other is red.

was at a Magnet broadband seminar in July about the free broadband for Sligo town and they were mentioning about linking up the traffic lights on the inner relief road wirelessly - I think thats what they are planing to do, but I zoned out that time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »
    This was one of the issue raised Comreg's Pricing of Wholesale Services in the Wholesale Local Access (WLA) market consultation back in April 2017 and this appears to be fix for the issue.
    https://www.comreg.ie/publication/pricing-wholesale-services-wholesale-local-access-wla-market-wholesale-central-access-markets/

Have a read through section 13.2, Recovery of connection costs for CGA / NGA services.
    Representatives from Comreg will appear before the Joint Committee on Communications, Climate Action and Environment in relation to broadband installation issues. 2pm kick-off tomorrow.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/committees/32/communications-climate-action-and-environment/

Comreg before the committee yesterday - https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/video-archive/committees/1988

Mentioned at the committee, Comreg is to publish its final decisions on wholesale broadband market access review in the coming weeks following approval of its draft decision by the European Commission, which was notified to Comreg yesterday (video 33:50mins & 55:10mins). Note the proposed change to the installation charge.

untitled6.jpg

untitled4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Just ordered with Airwire. 1GB package with an 18 month contract. :D

Is there anything I should know/be wary of before the install. It will be overhead btw.

correction wrote: »
    Just ordered with Airwire. 1GB package with an 18 month contract. :D

Is there anything I should know/be wary of before the install. It will be overhead btw.

No attics unless you have a duct run through it, you must have a double socket free somewhere for the ONT and Router. They can run it down an eve and around the house if you ask nicely. Might want to drill the hole yourself, some of the monkeys they have never held a SDS drill before. Oh and if you have a duct, try to use it. It is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,070 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No attics unless you have a duct run through it, you must have a double socket free somewhere for the ONT and Router. They can run it down an eve and around the house if you ask nicely. Might want to drill the hole yourself, some of the monkeys they have never held a SDS drill before. Oh and if you have a duct, try to use it. It is better.

My fibre is currently lying on the ground in 13mm ID heavy duty water pipe, transitioning to a 1m section of 13m qualpex. When I get around to trenching it, the qualpex will be rammed down into an expansion joint in the concrete apron around the house, popping up a few cm close to the wall of the house where it passes through a hole in the wall and into the boiler room where it rises and enters the loft space and then runs to the approximate centre of the house where the ONT and router are attached to a beam. I ran the cable in the loft and I suspect it was only made possible because I already had installed power in the loft and had a spare power board handy.

Fibre-in-loft.jpg

I think it's probably up to the individual installers willingness to depart from the rules. I also made it clear that running the cable overhead to the wall of the house was not on and the install wouldn't go ahead if that was the only option. The sales people told me with certainty that it could be strung to the chimney, which is only why I agreed in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,070 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I previously mentioned the WiFi signal strength problem with the Eir modem. I have managed a solution. I had an old Vodafone ADSL modem lying around spare. My son found out that it could be flashed with a Linux based firmware that broke the chains to Vodafone, so he did that and installed LEDE, he then configured it. Now I have the Vodafone router connected to the Eir router via an ethernet cable. The 2.4 Ghz modem in the Eir router has been turned off so we now have 5 Ghz from the Eir router reaching about half the house and a 2.4 Ghz signal from the LEDE router now reaching the whole house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I saw the K&N vans in our area a few weeks back and I see that FTTH is now available according to Airwire. Sorry for the noob questions, but our phone line duct runs under our driveway to a pole located at the entrance to our house (about 10 metres away). All the telegraph poles are the opposite side of the road, and K&N have mounted the roll of fibre cabling (not sure what the correct term is) outside our neighbours.
    I am right in thinking they will run the fibre cable alongside the existing copper cable over the road to our pole and then try to use the copper wire duct under our driveway? We also have a separate duct for ESB cables - could that possibly be used if the phone duct is blocked? Like the previous poster, I really don't want any cabling running overhead at all. Thanks in advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement