Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Darwin wrote: »
    I saw the K&N vans in our area a few weeks back and I see that FTTH is now available according to Airwire. Sorry for the noob questions, but our phone line duct runs under our driveway to a pole located at the entrance to our house (about 10 metres away). All the telegraph poles are the opposite side of the road, and K&N have mounted the roll of fibre cabling (not sure what the correct term is) outside our neighbours.
    I am right in thinking they will run the fibre cable alongside the existing copper cable over the road to our pole and then try to use the copper wire duct under our driveway? We also have a separate duct for ESB cables - could that possibly be used if the phone duct is blocked? Like the previous poster, I really don't want any cabling running overhead at all. Thanks in advance.

You are correct. They will try to follow the copper path. They will not use the ESB ducting as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

The Eir checker (based on my Eircode) says that FTTH is not available, with no indication when it will become available.

The Airwire checker (again, based on my Eircode) says that it will be available from 7th of next month.

Airwire's data is provided by Eir: how come Eir can't update their own database? Why do their management settle for such incompetence?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

cnocbui wrote: »
    I previously mentioned the WiFi signal strength problem with the Eir modem. I have managed a solution. I had an old Vodafone ADSL modem lying around spare. My son found out that it could be flashed with a Linux based firmware that broke the chains to Vodafone, so he did that and installed LEDE, he then configured it. Now I have the Vodafone router connected to the Eir router via an ethernet cable. The 2.4 Ghz modem in the Eir router has been turned off so we now have 5 Ghz from the Eir router reaching about half the house and a 2.4 Ghz signal from the LEDE router now reaching the whole house.

That was handy that he knew how to do all that. Was the vodafone router a HG659 ?

Poulgorm wrote: »
    The Eir checker (based on my Eircode) says that FTTH is not available, with no indication when it will become available.

The Airwire checker (again, based on my Eircode) says that it will be available from 7th of next month.

Airwire's data is provided by Eir: how come Eir can't update their own database? Why do their management settle for such incompetence?

I wonder the very same

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sales don't really have a clue beyond entering your details - they just enter your eircode and it tells them yes or no.
    It can be easily checked in UG if and when your eircode is likely to go live (usually a date in the near future or something like 2099 meaning no idea), but access to UG is restricted as its too easy to feck something up and anything done there does not flow back into eir's back end system and it's not the most user friendly interface.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Sales don't really have a clue beyond entering your details - they just enter your eircode and it tells them yes or no.
    It can be easily checked in UG if and when your eircode is likely to go live (usually a date in the near future or something like 2099 meaning no idea), but access to UG is restricted as its too easy to feck something up and anything done there does not flow back into eir's back end system and it's not the most user friendly interface.

Run UG by me again .. I predict it dosent mean UnderGround :)

Unified Gateway

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Airwire's data is provided by Eir: how come Eir can't update their own database?

Airwire's data is provided by open eir, who also provide it to eir, as well as to every other retailer.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Airwire's data is provided by open eir, who also provide it to eir, as well as to every other retailer.

A mistake lots of people make - same group, completely different companies

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A mistake lots of people make - same group, completely different companies

Yeah, it's frustrating that open eir didn't get a completely different brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,070 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That was handy that he knew how to do all that. Was the vodafone router a HG659 ?

Something like that - possibly HG665a. It's the white router in the photo. He didn't know how to do it, but he has an IT degree and is very tech literate so he just researched how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Why do their management settle for such incompetence?

Where do you think the incompetence stems from?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yeah, it's frustrating that open eir didn't get a completely different brand.

Yeah, it's like they looked at BT and thought oooh cool name - we'll be OpenEir.
    Would have been far better for a completely different name, then again it is still eircom at the end of the day just to confuse matters even more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cnocbui wrote: »
    Something like that - possibly HG665a. It's the white router in the photo. He didn't know how to do it, but he has an IT degree and is very tech literate so he just researched how to do it.

Looks like a HG556a which is supported by LEDE.
    Beats having to buy a wifi access point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Seen KN running underground cable along the roads in my village a few weeks back. What stage is this? Haven't seen them since and never got a chance to ask them.

Seen KN running underground cable along the roads in my village a few weeks back. What stage is this? Haven't seen them since and never got a chance to ask them.

It could be cable or it could be ducting which would then have cable installed into it. Either way I'd think that you're unlikely to be able to order this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Airwire's data is provided by Eir: how come Eir can't update their own database?

Possibly because they let a bunch of people go with VL?

jd wrote: »
    Possibly because they let a bunch of people go with VL?

Not VL, it's redundancy - about 800 people going/gone in the next coupla months ergo why people are spending an hour listening to OneRepublic trying to get thru to someone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yeah, it's like they looked at BT and thought oooh cool name - we'll be OpenEir.
    Would have been far better for a completely different name, then again it is still eircom at the end of the day just to confuse matters even more

No no. They paid a consultant and marketing firm a few millions to just look at BT and copy/fiddle it to create Eir/OpenEIRs new brand.

T'was hillarious at best, what sort of money they paid for that brand change.

Before that, it was "Eircom" and "Eircom Wholesale".

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    No no. They paid a consultant and marketing firm a few millions to just look at BT and copy/fiddle it to create Eir/OpenEIRs new brand.

T'was hillarious at best, what sort of money they paid for that brand change.

Before that, it was "Eircom" and "Eircom Wholesale".

/M

Reminds of when BP paid millions to change their name and all the advertising company did was slant (italicise) the letters. Funny thing is now they've probably paid millions more to lowercase the logo and non italicised!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not VL, it's redundancy - about 800 people going/gone in the next coupla months ergo why people are spending an hour listening to OneRepublic trying to get thru to someone :(

Are they not rehiring the HCL crews into the inhouse contact teams? Would have assumed a TUPEing for some at least.

eir are having some sort of issues today. If anyone is having issues with their connection try changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 or other public servers.

https://www.eir.ie/ currently down

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057919647/

eir are having some sort of issues today. If anyone is having issues with their connection try changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 or other public servers.

Affecting vdsl also changed DNS earlier today.

Hard to believe ISP's in 2018 can't manage a robust DNS infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭plodder

Seen the same issue in my own place and the parents. Both North Dublin.
    Switching DNS from passthru on the router to google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 fixes it.

limnam wrote: »
    Hard to believe ISP's in 2018 can't manage a robust DNS infrastructure

It's actually not as easy as you think. There are a good few ways to exploit DNS servers and also ways of starting DoS reflection attacks using DNS servers.

It's a very old protocol and migration to more modern approaches with certification (DNSSEC) have been slow. Not that they'd remove the issues entirely either.

/M

It's actually not as easy as you think. There are a good few ways to exploit DNS servers and also ways of starting DoS reflection attacks using DNS servers.

It's a very old protocol and migration to more modern approaches with certification (DNSSEC) have been slow. Not that they'd remove the issues entirely either.

/M

While all that might be true. Google/open dns etc etc seem to be able to do a much better job of it than eir.

limnam wrote: »
    While all that might be true. Google/open dns etc etc seem to be able to do a much better job of it than eir.

Google developed their own complete custom DNS core. And while it certainly has ran extremely stable, they have ulterior motives running a DNS service and making sure it's stable.

By you using their DNS service you're feeding them more ways in pushing marketing your way.

It's your choice of course :)

The providers generally only run a standard setup for DNS. With no logging of your activities.

/M

Google developed their own complete custom DNS core. And while it certainly has ran extremely stable, they have ulterior motives running a DNS service and making sure it's stable.

By you using their DNS service you're feeding them more ways in pushing marketing your way.

It's your choice of course :)

The providers generally only run a standard setup for DNS. With no logging of your activities.

/M

I understand there's a "price" to pay for google's service.

But I'm currently paying Eir 65e a month for a 3MB connection, the least they could do is put some of that into investing in a reliable DNS architecture.

(Or slightly more reliable)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Cloueflare usually have the best latency in Ireland and they have the cool 1.1.1.1 address. But are they considered even more insecure than using google?
    or maybe there is just no way of knowing exactly what these companies do with the data collected.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Cloueflare usually have the best latency in Ireland and they have the cool 1.1.1.1 address. But are they considered even more insecure than using google?
    or maybe there is just no way of knowing exactly what these companies do with the data collected.

They are a caching service. So no advertising/marketing motives there. The question is if they share the data with somebody.

At the end of the day, DNS is always a question of who you trust. Because if they fettled with the DNS, then you could get send to other places than what was your intention.

OpenDNS is another option, but they are now owned by Cisco .. so ..

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement