Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭michaelheno

Even if you had VoIP with your connection, we have no problems giving out the credentials for that separately.

So there are no issues doing, what you want to do. It is just a good idea to keep your original router around for reference (to plug in, when you need to test), if you ever have a problem, as we only can offer you best effort support on systems we haven't tested.

Good to know Martin and of course I will keep the supplied router at hand for any future support problems

• Registered Users Posts: 20,073 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

T-Bird wrote: »
    Probably won't happen, but I hope there is a clause that I can get out of the contract I unknowingly signed into..

You can cancel within the 14 day cooling off period.

Looking at setting up a ubiquiti home network setup to improve wifi in the house. I have FTTH looking at then router element of the setup can you directly connect a USG to the ont or would it have to be connected to the provided router

My son was able to improve WiFi coverage in our house by flashing a spare Vodafone router with open source firmware. The routers are connected via an ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

cnocbui wrote: »
    My son was able to improve WiFi coverage in our house by flashing a spare Vodafone router with open source firmware. The routers are connected via an ethernet cable.

The Fritz!Box routers support that sort of functionality by default (setting a 2nd Fritz!Box up as repeater or mesh via wireless or cable) and tying it all back into one big network.

It's only the cheapo routers of the main providers, that additionally are locked down, where you have to look at completely different solution.

But what Michael is trying is more than better coverage. The Ubiquity Unify network also gives you the ability to manage it all from one point and view. Instead of having to manage each device individually. You also manage the security aspect of the network from one view.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The Fritz!Box routers support that sort of functionality by default (setting a 2nd Fritz!Box up as repeater or mesh via wireless or cable) and tying it all back into one big network.

It's only the cheapo routers of the main providers, that additionally are locked down, where you have to look at completely different solution.

But what Michael is trying is more than better coverage. The Ubiquity Unify network also gives you the ability to manage it all from one point and view. Instead of having to manage each device individually. You also manage the security aspect of the network from one view.

/M

Not too many problems that can't be solved by throwing a lot of money at them. Just putting it out there as a zero cost option. I don't do much network management in a domestic setting, except when things go sour, which I was hoping fibre would see and end of - then Eir decided to not heed ICANNs warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not VL, it's redundancy - about 800 people going/gone in the next coupla months ergo why people are spending an hour listening to OneRepublic trying to get thru to someone :(

The 800 in the next few months are customer care with HCL. A lot of eir staff took a VL package that was offered earlier in the year.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Thanks for the update.
    FTTH is back to 'available soon', which is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭yellowbear

Thanks Martin,
    Sorry if this has been asked before but my address has updated from coming soon to an actual date. Is this date set in stone. I see work being done on the cabinet nearby but didn't think it would be ready thay quickly.

yellowbear wrote: »
    Thanks Martin,
    Sorry if this has been asked before but my address has updated from coming soon to an actual date. Is this date set in stone. I see work being done on the cabinet nearby but didn't think it would be ready thay quickly.

No. The date is not set in stone. The date is the day, that a provider can place the order with OpenEIR.

But it's not uncommon, that OpenEIR misses that date and there can be a 1-4 week delay before everything falls in place.

That's the situation where people talk about no light at the DP or other delays.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

A question if you wouldn't mind, Martin. We rang and placed an order on Friday just gone, got an email asking us to reply agreeing to terms which we did. Should we have received a confirmation email or is it taken care of once we replied to the email. Thanks

correction wrote: »
    A question if you wouldn't mind, Martin. We rang and placed an order on Friday just gone, got an email asking us to reply agreeing to terms which we did. Should we have received a confirmation email or is it taken care of once we replied to the email. Thanks

You will get a call confirming the installation date, as it has to suit you.

In some cases, if you are on an exchange, that we don't have in the system yet, it can take 24-48 hours just to bring the connection from the exchange to our systems online first.

If you ordered late on Friday, the order process was probably started yesterday. Worst case scenario you'll get a call today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

You will get a call confirming the installation date, as it has to suit you.

In some cases, if you are on an exchange, that we don't have in the system yet, it can take 24-48 hours just to bring the connection from the exchange to our systems online first.

If you ordered late on Friday, the order process was probably started yesterday. Worst case scenario you'll get a call today or tomorrow.

We're on an exchange that isn't due till the 7th of November (ordered as soon as we could). Just want to be sure we're officially ordered up and don't need to call you closer to the date.

correction wrote: »
    We're on an exchange that isn't due till the 7th of November (ordered as soon as we could). Just want to be sure we're officially ordered up and don't need to call you closer to the date.

If that is the case, you'll get an email confirming, that we have your order and with a timeline for the installation. But it's normal, that it takes 2-3 workdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

So drove down the road the other day after spotting the KN fellas out our way. Sure enough quite a lot of the poles had the small roll of cables hanging off them, no boxes though. Nothing in front of our house but was told before we’re ducted/under the road.

So is that the actual fiber itself rolled out? Just DPs to be done?

Interesting... used AirWires checker. Says available 7-11-2018. That when it should be available to order? Wasn’t expecting it til next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eirs APQ backend is currently down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

chris_ie wrote: »
    So drove down the road the other day after spotting the KN fellas out our way. Sure enough quite a lot of the poles had the small roll of cables hanging off them, no boxes though. Nothing in front of our house but was told before we’re ducted/under the road.

Interesting... used AirWires checker. Says available 7-11-2018. That when it should be available to order? Wasn’t expecting it til next year.

Most likely. That 7th of November date seems ambitious if there are no DPs installed yet. Though I suppose yours could be already installed if it is underground.

Most likely. That 7th of November date seems ambitious if there are no DPs installed yet. Though I suppose yours could be already installed if it is underground.

Yeah I won’t get my hopes up too much. I’ll hopefully see the KN fellas out again and get a chat with them. Tried an eir code further on up the road where there’s def no DP and it shows the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

DP boxes were put up on poles in July where I am - still no FTTH available to order at the moment in our area! :(

DP boxes were put up on poles in July where I am - still no FTTH available to order at the moment in our area! :(

Probably be the same here! Does the airwire check show a date for you?

• Advertisement

Took another wander! Confused about the lines round here. KN fella had said we’re were ducted. He was down manhole when he was connecting phone line for neighbors house. There’s a pole in our garden though.

Hard to describe, the fiber run comes from the left of the house. There is a pole 2 houses to the left with the roll of cable on it. That pole doesn’t connect to the pole in my garden or the next door neighbors pole to the left. Those lines go a sort of different direction but same general direction. So it’s kinda confusing! For those poles with the roll of cable, were the DP would go, how many houses would that connect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Took another wander! Confused about the lines round here. KN fella had said we’re were ducted. He was down manhole when he was connecting phone line for neighbors house. There’s a pole in our garden though.

Hard to describe, the fiber run comes from the left of the house. There is a pole 2 houses to the left with the roll of cable on it. That pole doesn’t connect to the pole in my garden or the next door neighbors pole to the left. Those lines go a sort of different direction but same general direction. So it’s kinda confusing! For those poles with the roll of cable, were the DP would go, how many houses would that connect?

Usually four, maybe eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Probably be the same here! Does the airwire check show a date for you?

it did , a couple of times it showed available .. but then it went back to 'coming soon' - some info was supplied wrongly by open eir or something .. or some problem with the infrastructure in our area needs fixing or something - suppose I just have to be patient, frustrating all this waiting around though waiting for it to materialise and not knowing when.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭yellowbear

it did , a couple of times it showed available .. but then it went back to 'coming soon' - some info was supplied wrongly by open eir or something .. or some problem with the infrastructure in our area needs fixing or something - suppose I just have to be patient, frustrating all this waiting around though waiting for it to materialise and not knowing when.

I moved in to my house late 2016 and the openeir checker said it was coming in 6 months back then. Ive got a date for next month on airwire now. I'll believe it when I i see it.

ED E wrote: »
    Eirs APQ backend is currently down.

Can't break much more, than it is anyhow.
    yellowbear wrote: »
    I moved in to my house late 2016 and the openeir checker said it was coming in 6 months back then. Ive got a date for next month on airwire now. I'll believe it when I i see it.

The dates on OpenEIR were the planned dates. They've been pushed and pushed.

The dates on the Airwire checker are the official launch dates. Having said that, last weeks update was the typical quarterly big push to keep up the pretends on being on the ball. 23k new FTTH premises in that. Followed by only 2k this week. They do it every 3 months. So for those, who are down for start November now, anticipate that it can take up to 4 additonal weeks to get the exchanges ready.

Example: of all those, that were launched 8.8., at least 8 exchanges got delayed by 1, 2 or 3 weeks and then came online staggered like that.

Of that whole rollout, there's very few areas that got pushed further back. So it is a sign of, that things are happening now and FTTH is coming before xmas.

Look at it like this .. there's a ton of premises that now have been pushed to Q1 and Q2 2019. At least there's a good chance you're not in that bunch.

Oh ... and Donegal has now broken the 30k barrier for FTTH enabled homes.

/M

Can't break much more, than it is anyhow.

Well, bad as it is Vodafones is FAR worse. They've not heard of server side scripting obviously: Send 185 THOUSAND records to the clients browser and let them match their eircode instead of doing a lookup and sending back a binary option.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Oh ... and Donegal has now broken the 30k barrier for FTTH enabled homes.

/M

In good time for the rally too! Gwan the hills.

Well, bad as it is Vodafones is FAR worse. They've not heard of server side scripting obviously: Send 185 THOUSAND records to the clients browser and let them match their eircode instead of doing a lookup and sending back a binary option.

:rolleyes:

185k .... hang on here ... that's FTTH. They don't officially do that yet. So more like 1.6M FTTC records to tell you that you can't get FTTH :)

/M

170K SIRO premises as of August, 185K list of eircodes... Its SIRO. Theres a shorter list of OE Eircodes that they're planning (80K I think).

• Advertisement

170K SIRO premises as of August, 185K list of eircodes... Its SIRO. Theres a shorter list of OE Eircodes that they're planning (80K I think).

Ah .. wrong thread so :) ... but that's actually interesting. Because that would be the most complete list one could grab. SIRO only gives providers lists of the premises passed on the interconnect, they have enabled. Vodafone would be the only one on all at the moment.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement