Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

ED E wrote: »
    170K SIRO premises as of August, 185K list of eircodes... Its SIRO. Theres a shorter list of OE Eircodes that they're planning (80K I think).

Thats 185459 as of today.

I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

I'd like to know how eir can get away with not connecting 10 homes in middle to ftth saying it's not commercially viable

please see attached image roughly 10 homes in the middle of road not connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

paconnors wrote: »
    I'd like to know how eir can get away with not connecting 10 homes in middle to ftth saying it's not commercially viable

That has happened in A LOT of places.

There are 3 reasons for this:
    - bad planning
    - somebody forgot to index those premises and there's actually DPs for them
    - the 2 fibre runs have each reached their 20km max of total fibre run or the max amount of households*olt ports has been exhausted as per planning.

The rollout that OpenEIR has done does not leave a lot of wiggle room. A good few DPs are already marked full.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    That has happened in A LOT of places.

There are 3 reasons for this:
    - bad planning
    - somebody forgot to index those premises and there's actually DPs for them
    - the 2 fibre runs have each reached their 20km max of total fibre run or the max amount of households*olt ports has been exhausted as per planning.

The rollout that OpenEIR has done does not leave a lot of wiggle room. A good few DPs are already marked full.

/M

any way of finding out is there a dp for my property?

- Have the other premises been passed already ? Are they live ?
    - If so, is your cabling over ground (on poles) or under ground ?
    - If on poles, is there a DP (black box, yellow sticker) on a pole within 50m-100m from your house ?

/M

• Advertisement

thanks for reply I'll check poles nearby. our cabling is Overground

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I took this the other day on my camcorder, zoomed into it from ground level . Thought i would post it on here for people to see what the sticker looks like

463996.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Send us a code of one of the nearby ones and I'll see if there's any update for Q4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It is not that they are commercially unviable. You have to understand eir's reasoning for taking on this project.

This rollout was only ever about disrupting the NBP. By leaving gaps such as this they thought they had effectively made the process unviable for other bidders. It worked in the case of SIRO who bailed out when the DCCAE agreed to the contract with eir.

Bizarrely the least equipped bidder is still in the process, just about, and events over the coming weeks may see them ejected.

Unfortunately people like you are the collateral damage in the machinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hi all, should be ordering fiber this week. Just have to sort out a few things like getting Internet to my camera system.

Was looking at this and just wondering if they work and would it be compatible with Eir?

Reason I like the look of this is the satellite units have ethernet ports which would allow me to connect up the camera system.

Would be using them for heavy online gaming aswell.

Netgear Orbi
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B072MY95N7/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Can't break much more, than it is anyhow.

The dates on OpenEIR were the planned dates. They've been pushed and pushed.

The dates on the Airwire checker are the official launch dates. Having said that, last weeks update was the typical quarterly big push to keep up the pretends on being on the ball. 23k new FTTH premises in that. Followed by only 2k this week. They do it every 3 months. So for those, who are down for start November now, anticipate that it can take up to 4 additonal weeks to get the exchanges ready.

Example: of all those, that were launched 8.8., at least 8 exchanges got delayed by 1, 2 or 3 weeks and then came online staggered like that.

Of that whole rollout, there's very few areas that got pushed further back. So it is a sign of, that things are happening now and FTTH is coming before xmas.

Look at it like this .. there's a ton of premises that now have been pushed to Q1 and Q2 2019. At least there's a good chance you're not in that bunch.

Oh ... and Donegal has now broken the 30k barrier for FTTH enabled homes.

/M

Fingers crossed then so, if I could just spot the KN lads again I could have a chat and finally understand the layout (poles, ducted etc) round our way :D The town we connect into has a green icon for the cabinet, covered by a big blue icon for 'Planned'. So not sure what the status of the cabinet is. (I know the map is a bit out of date)

chris_ie wrote: »
    Fingers crossed then so, if I could just spot the KN lads again I could have a chat and finally understand the layout (poles, ducted etc) round our way :D The town we connect into has a green icon for the cabinet, covered by a big blue icon for 'Planned'. So not sure what the status of the cabinet is. (I know the map is a bit out of date)

Again. The cabinet has nothing to do with the FTTH rollout. The FTTH rollout gets enabled completely seperate from the FTTC cabinets.

Give you an example: Calverstown in Co. Kildare was down for both FTTH and VDSL. It got FTTH enabled in the start of September. The cabinet for VDSL/FTTC then went live end of September and added additional products to the area, but having nothing to do with the FTTH.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Again. The cabinet has nothing to do with the FTTH rollout. The FTTH rollout gets enabled completely seperate from the FTTC cabinets.

Give you an example: Calverstown in Co. Kildare was down for both FTTH and VDSL. It got FTTH enabled in the start of September. The cabinet for VDSL/FTTC then went live end of September and added additional products to the area, but having nothing to do with the FTTH.

/M

Apologies Marlow, wasn't aware of that. Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can I ask re a main road that has had ftth added.
    Houses upto a mile off the main road are not covered. Some houses only 500m off are not covered. What will happen here?

If the roads are private is it upto the householder to pay to extend the fibre and what sort of costs would be involved?

I am sure a lot of homes are affected by this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Houses upto a mile off the main road are not covered. Some houses only 500m off are not covered. What will happen here?

If the roads are private is it upto the householder to pay to extend the fibre and what sort of costs would be involved?
    Thanks

they would be covered by the NBP

they would be covered by the NBP

In what way? Will fibre be run in from the main road to the house or what will happen?

In the past people have had to pay for their own telegram poles in such situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can I ask re a main road that has had ftth added.

I am sure a lot of homes are affected by this.

Thanks

Private lanes - you will have to provide ducting if there is no infrastructure in place
    Costs depend on the distance/who does it - look at about €1000 euro per 100m to hire a contractor
    But that will also depend on whoever does the NBP - i.e. if they would be willing to pay for duct on private property

If you weren't included in the 300k then you are in the NBP - the thing that's been all over the news so don't be making any plans for fibre for a good few years yet.

It is not for me but relatives. Their neighbours at the top of their lane have ftth (not sure if it is the blue line rollout or the extra 300k - I think it is the former).

I presume fibre could just be run along the existing telegram poles. It is just a case of whether it will be subsidised and if not whether they have permission to do it themselves.

There will be a lot of businesses like farms in this situation who would be a priority for connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Having said that, last weeks update was the typical quarterly big push to keep up the pretends on being on the ball. 23k new FTTH premises in that. Followed by only 2k this week. They do it every 3 months./M
    Are you really saying 23k in one week, as opposed to for the quarter?

2k a week is okay, giving 26k for the quarter.

I'm just wondering still whether there hasn't actually been a bigger falloff in the build since the new owners took over. At least in Kerry where I am, there was huge activity even for a a couple of months after EIR changed ownership. That makes sense as work orders to the likes of KNN I suppose would carry through. But, since then, it's like a ghost town.

Did you say previously that it's probably about six months from the initial build until orders can be placed. If so, it would only be around now, that the effect of the new owners would start to be seen in the figures.

KOR101 wrote: »

2k a week is okay, giving 26k for the quarter.

I'm just wondering still whether there hasn't actually been a bigger falloff in the build since the new owners took over. At least in Kerry where I am, there was huge activity even for a a couple of months after EIR changed ownership. That makes sense as work orders to the likes of KNN I suppose would carry through. But, since then, it's like a ghost town.

Did you say previously that it's probably about six months from the initial build until orders can be placed. If so, it would only be around now, that the effect of the new owners would start to be seen in the figures.

~30K per quarter is the best they've ever done and if they can keep to that for the remaining period they should hit their end Q2 2019 target.

• Advertisement

They do this at the start of every quarter to satisfy the department.

Push a big bunch out in a weeks roll out and then near to nothing for the remainder of the quarter, while they fix all they clean up the mess they created. It's usually dribs and drabs in the 1000-2000 premises every week after that for 3 months.

/M

They do this at the start of every quarter to satisfy the department.

Push a big bunch out in a weeks roll out and then near to nothing for the remainder of the quarter, while they fix all they clean up the mess they created. It's usually dribs and drabs in the 1000-2000 premises every week after that for 3 months.

/M
    Sorry Marlow, but 1k to 2k a week for 13 weeks adds up. So 26k in one week is a big deal unless I'm missing something.

~30K per quarter is the best they've ever done and if they can keep to that for the remaining period they should hit their end Q2 2019 target.
    There's no way they'll make Sneem by June 2019.

There's no way they'll make Sneem by June 2019.

Why do you think that?

Sorry Marlow, but 1k to 2k a week for 13 weeks adds up. So 26k in one week is a big deal unless I'm missing something.

What you are missing is that they could enable multiple exchanges in a week resulting in thousands of "possible" connections.
    Nothing remiss with the figures bar them doing this kind of work at the most opportune time for them.

fritzelly wrote: »
    What you are missing is that they could enable multiple exchanges in a week resulting in thousands of "possible" connections.
    Nothing remiss with the figures bar them doing this kind of work at the most opportune time for them.

The big issue is, when they push the roullout for the entire quarter in the week that the dept pulls the figures and then just list the premises for not available for the next 6 months.

The Naas exchange as an example. Was on track start of August, nearly 130 premises flagged not available since mid-August. That's over 2 months now. Last I heard they're going live mid December ... which brings them well into a completely different quarter.

/M

Why do you think that?
    Because they are only at Templenoe currently and it was a fair bit of work just to get that far. It's over 20k to Sneem from there on harder terrain than they faced coming from Kenmare. And, that's not even accounting for the side roads they mapped for their plan. The side roads are kind of the 'real' rural as opposed to the R roads.

They clearly had a plan that was fast unfolding during the spring. I'm a couple of kilometers beyond Templenoe, up a side road, and in the spring red dots appeared on some of the poles up that road. I guess they indicate where the DPs are going to go. But, then everything just stopped dead. If they had continued they might just have made the Dec 2018 deadline. So, I'm just wondering.

I think EIR wouldn't think twice about lying to the press or at Dail committees, but I do think they wouldn't lie to the financial markets about their capital expenditure plans and that just say a fall from 300m to 250m per annum.

The big issue is, when they push the roullout for the entire quarter in the week that the dept pulls the figures and then just list the premises for not available for the next 6 months.

/M

I did quote the possible...

I can understand, why they stopped updating the fibrerollout map. August for example was a disaster month for them. When you have a negative rollout for a month, then you do have problems :)

/M

• Advertisement

Well we know why August (and July) was bad - everyone on holidays
    If it was in house they would be controlling holiday time - outsourced they are at the mercy of KN

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement