Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭f0zzy

Is there any way to find out more definitive date on timing for install other than what general indication on the fibrerollout site "first half of FY18" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

f0zzy wrote: »
    Is there any way to find out more definitive date on timing for install other than what general indication on the fibrerollout site "first half of FY18" ?

Not really. Only when OpenEIR releases specific dates to the providers and that's only near to the completion of the works.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

f0zzy wrote: »

Is it the Eircode checker you're using?
    Our eircode still says Spring/Summer 2018 but if i click on the Exchange it says "Estimated date for first live 1000Mb/s fibre is 11th April"

I'd imagine that is only for locations that are pretty much finished though?
    One nearby exchange still says "Winter 2018" for example.

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »
    Is it the Eircode checker you're using?
    Our eircode still says Spring/Summer 2018 but if i click on the Exchange it says "Estimated date for first live 1000Mb/s fibre is 11th April"

I'd imagine that is only for locations that are pretty much finished though?
    One nearby exchange still says "Winter 2018" for example.

The date of 11.04.2018 (for example) is only available, IF OpenEIR have passed the data on to the provider. That's weekly updates the providers get.

And those are only released less than a month ahead of time. If even.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Marlow wrote: »
    Have a read at this: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057848243 and let me know, how you get on, when you're cancelling your broadband with Eir to not having to pay them 81 EUR/month after 12 months. :)

/M

Ouch, 3.5 hour queue!

"I need to cancel but ye don't answer the phone. What will I do?"

"Phone us"

Nice!

• Advertisement

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Ouch, 3.5 hour queue!

"I need to cancel but ye don't answer the phone. What will I do?"

"Phone us"

Nice!

That saga didn't end there. But that's another story.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Had first visit from KN today. Duct is good, but need a pole. They've said they'll put the pole in 3 weeks from today and then run the cable. Fingers crossed.

The date of 11.04.2018 (for example) is only available, IF OpenEIR have passed the data on to the provider. That's weekly updates the providers get.

/M

Just to clarify that by "Our Eircode" I'm referring to the qualifying one I've borrowed from the derelict house down the road :)

C.

Just to clarify that by "Our Eircode" I'm referring to the qualifying one I've borrowed from the derelict house down the road :)

It doesn't really matter. I've managed to order multiple lines on the same Eircode. Doesn't matter if different providers or the same.

The only thing you can't do is order a line from another provider, while one already is on order and not completed.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭f0zzy

/M
    Ya its the eircode checker I used : If I click on the exchange FB01_E01 it indicates high speed is available mind you but am sure fibre rollout has not happened yet.

• Advertisement

After all that(hadn't started digging the duct in yet) our eircode is now showing as available on the Eir.ie website.

I also notice the fibrerollout map has now updated to 26/03 though it still doesn't cover our house. Which would be the more accurate?

446772.jpg

Thanks,

C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

After all that(hadn't started digging the duct in yet) our eircode is now showing as available on the Eir.ie website.

I also notice the fibrerollout map has now updated to 26/03 though it still doesn't cover our house. Which would be the more accurate?

446772.jpg

Thanks,

C.

The Eircode checker on eir.ie is the most accurate. You should now be able to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

When I use the eircode checker, it says my house is on the FTTH route and I should have FTTH in the first half of 2018. But it says I can then get broadband speeds between 30 Mb/s and 1000 Mb. Where did they get the 30 from? I thought the minimum was 150.

Poulgorm wrote: »
    When I use the eircode checker, it says my house is on the FTTH route and I should have FTTH in the first half of 2018. But it says I can then get broadband speeds between 30 Mb/s and 1000 Mb. Where did they get the 30 from? I thought the minimum was 150.

It's a standard message and completely misleading. Of course you can get less than 30 Mbit/s also :)

The 30-100 Mbit/s is for FTTC (aka VDSL) on copper to a fiber cabinet. And while those lines sometimes perform at less than 30 Mbit/s, EIR advertises with a minimum of 30 Mbit/s because otherwise it wouldn't have qualified for the NBP minimum standards ...

Now .. that doesn't matter anymore, as they've backed out of the NBP, so now there's no problem even selling you 4 Mbit/s on their eFibre package :)

FTTH currently is from 150-1000, correct, depending on what package you choose. And there will be new packages probably later this year, so it starts from 100 then ...

/M

A certain percentage of the 300000, up to 10% I believe, will be serviced by VDSL2 (FTTC). Some of the homes getting this technology could have speeds of 30Mb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

A certain percentage of the 300000, up to 10% I believe, will be serviced by VDSL2 (FTTC). Some of the homes getting this technology could have speeds of 30Mb/s.

Well, I am already on FTTC @ 12 Mb/s (my house is about 1.6 Km from the cabinet). Hopefully, I will get the 150 Mb/s package.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well, I am already on FTTC @ 12 Mb/s (my house is about 1.6 Km from the cabinet). Hopefully, I will get the 150 Mb/s package.

You probably won't be in range of 30Mb, a change to SuperVector/V2 might get you to 20-22Mb. So you're "Safe" from being stuck in the valley between good copper and super glass.

The Eircode check on fibrerollout.ie just checks if a premises is included in the 300000 premises agreed with the Government. It has no logic of what technology would be used to achieve the connection. Therefore if an Eircode passes on the balance of probability (90%) the premises would get FTTH.

In your specific case as you already have FTTC you will most likely get FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jeepster_ie

ED E wrote: »
    So you're "Safe" from being stuck in the valley between good copper and super glass.

Unfortunately I'm in that "valley". 4kms from the exchange so a max of 4mpbs DL and 150 metres from the end of the blue area in the rural rollout (due to have fibre in the area in the second half of 2018 - of course I am one of only 4 houses in the village not being connected according to the rollout/NBP map).

Got in contact with openeir...basically said the 300000 were locked down and I'll have to wait for NBP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

Hi anybody on eir FTTH with F2000 router have this problem with recording/time:Batch try resetting it and turning it off cant seem to fix it any help with this problem thanks.

Total Downloads to date this month:
     388549 MB (379.443 GB)
    Total Uploads to date this month:
     22193 MB (21.673 GB)
    Combined Download + Upload to date this month:
     410742 MB (401.116 GB)
    Product Allowance:
    Unlimited
    Last usage recording date/time:Batch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

rob808 wrote: »
    Hi anybody on eir FTTH with F2000 router have this problem with recording/time:Batch try resetting it and turning it off cant seem to fix it any help with this problem thanks.

Total Downloads to date this month:
     388549 MB (379.443 GB)
    Total Uploads to date this month:
     22193 MB (21.673 GB)
    Combined Download + Upload to date this month:
     410742 MB (401.116 GB)
    Product Allowance:
    Unlimited
    Last usage recording date/time:Batch

Stupid question maybe but do you actually have television in your package as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

fritzelly wrote: »
    Stupid question maybe but do you actually have television in your package as well?
    no just broadband but i do still have my dsl phone line for telephone.It usually fix itself but being like that for week and half was onto eir support but got no where with them it annoying not knowing what im using.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats the NGA proxy setup. Instead of a big server in a regional centre counting bytes its your local exchange. Clearly they batch them back from there. I wouldn't expect a delay of more than 24hrs, probably a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

work just started in monasterevin rural ftth in lughill area

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just checked on the updated Eir map and they say that the fibre build has commended in Bweeng, Co.Cork ... anyone in the know have any details of what they have done?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just checked on the updated Eir map and they say that the fibre build has commended in Bweeng, Co.Cork ... anyone in the know have any details of what they have done?

That fibre build commenced message usually refers to the FTTC build so they have probably installed the DSLAM into the exchange.

irishfeen wrote: »
    That fibre build commenced message usually refers to the FTTC build so they have probably installed the DSLAM into the exchange.

Unfortunately it can take months after that, before the cab then goes live.

Castlebaldwin: cab installed, DSLAM in cab, fiber ran 1 1/2 years ago between Riverstown/Castlebaldwin ...... still not live ... just one example.

So .. don't get your hopes up until they actually enabled it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alangers

Well I think I had it getting ftth installed. Signed up before Christmas 4 attempts to install later and same issue as day one, No power at the DP (think that’s what’s it’s called) on the pole. Lines run in to the house by first engineer so it’s ready to go if Eir could just get power... so frustrated at this stage. Keep getting told the issue is fixed but it’s not. How does a company tell you something is ready and fixed when it’s blatantly not. 3 days leave to be available for the engineer - that’s the most frustrating part. Thank goodness I didn’t go cancelling my mobile broadband package 3 months ago!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cirod

I am literally the exact same but my timeframe is much longer. Initial instal last October. Eventually they told me that there was work to be done to get the DP live and keep giving me forecast dates for the work to be done by....but each month, its delayed by another month. I plan to complain to Comreg after this next forecast date is missed. I am not hopeful that it will help but worth doing nonetheless. At least they have stopped making appointments that are destined to fail....each which required me taking afternoons off work.

Alangers wrote: »
    Well I think I had it getting ftth installed. Signed up before Christmas 4 attempts to install later and same issue as day one, No power at the DP (think that’s what’s it’s called) on the pole. Lines run in to the house by first engineer so it’s ready to go if Eir could just get power... so frustrated at this stage. Keep getting told the issue is fixed but it’s not. How does a company tell you something is ready and fixed when it’s blatantly not. 3 days leave to be available for the engineer - that’s the most frustrating part. Thank goodness I didn’t go cancelling my mobile broadband package 3 months ago!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alangers

I’m going to give them a call tomorrow - engineer said the DP outside my house and the one down the road have the same ID numbers - he was unsure why. First engineer to make that observation. He was going to talk to his supervisor. I’m thinking tying a red ribbon 🎀 on the pole to help eir identity it. Eir have also credited €100 to my account so far for inconvenience but what good is that with no install. Going to give them one more chance to sort it out. I’m hoping now the engineer identified the same Id number it
    Might help. Fingers crossed 🀞ðŸ¼

Cirod wrote: »
    I am literally the exact same but my timeframe is much longer. Initial instal last October. Eventually they told me that there was work to be done to get the DP live and keep giving me forecast dates for the work to be done by....but each month, its delayed by another month. I plan to complain to Comreg after this next forecast date is missed. I am not hopeful that it will help but worth doing nonetheless. At least they have stopped making appointments that are destined to fail....each which required me taking afternoons off work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement