Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

fritzelly wrote: »
    They won't do chimney installs - come across that a few times. You may get lucky and the tech will do but its most certainly not the norm and a reason for refusal for an install
    But thats sales guys for ye

And yeah they get commission for every sale - even tho they feck up most of them and end up having to be reordered

Yes, I was doubtful about it. Installer nixed it but did put the ugly mess in the loft, leaving me to dig a trench and bury the line. Installer arrived at about 9 and was out of here by about 11:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Marlow wrote: »
    Actually .. you would think the invasion of germans (even if it's just for holiday homes) would have helped Cork and South Kerry getting more organised (no puns intended) :p

/M
    That's a laugh. I have a German a couple of hundred meters down the hill from me. He cuts the grass in both directions from his house going past mine. This is both sides of the road and the middle too. He's started clearing ditches and even sorted out one of his neighbours with water. You have to see it to believe it. The German desire to put order on the world is extremely strong.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Just wondering if the phone provided with eir ftth has to be directly connected to the supplied router or can it be connected to a powerline adapter/netgear orbi in a different room.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Just wondering if the phone provided with eir ftth has to be directly connected to the supplied router or can it be connected to a powerline adapter in a different room.

It doesn't work like that.

An analog phone has to be plugged in to the router. So the phone has to be plugged in, where the router is.

That port may look similar, but it's not ethernet.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes any regular phone with a standard rj11(not rj45) connector will work but it has to be plugged into the F2000

Has anyone figured out if Eir do or do not want to supply the SIP login details to customers who want to use their own VOIP phone?
    Rep have tried in the past to supply the details which would indecate that they do want to however these reps do not have access to the correct detail to enable this which may indicate that higher up in Eir they do not want customers doing.

You would think encouraging customers to make more use of the phone service would benefit Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Did a small bit of gaming for the first time in a while last night. Disconnected from one game then slowdowns and lag in other games, switched it off again :rolleyes: Will be quite the jump from fixed wireless to FTTH. Ordered a an 8 port switch with PoE for the attic aswell as I plan on installing a few cameras. Didnt bother with current provider as connection was up and down and didnt want anything else hogging bandwidth (depending on what way I do the cameras)

tuxy wrote: »
    You would think encouraging customers to make more use of the phone service would benefit Eir.

No. They also still won't let you port a number from one exchange to another exchange within the same county, even though that technically is no problem.

The only choice people have in reality is to go with a provider that gives them a full fledged VoIP service or use a third party VoIP provider for the phone service.

Eir is an incumbent. And as such very much stuck in their old telephone thinking way of things.

/M

I see, I can can understand an incumbent not letting you port a number from an exchange but not giving you your sip password after setting up all the infrastructure for VOIP is still odd but not surprising.

What are Vodafone and Sky like with current VDSL and VOIP as they will probably use the same system with openeir ftth.

I see, I can can understand an incumbent not letting you port a number from an exchange but not giving you your sip password after setting up all the infrastructure for VOIP is still odd but not surprising.

It's not odd. They won't even call it VoIP, like everyone else. They call it VoBB.

And while it's a bit more complicated to use your own device, as the phone service is provided out of band on a different Vlan than the broadband, it is VoIP after all.

Vodafone is not an inch better in that regard.

/M

• Advertisement

Ah I see, so it's segregated on Eirs network on a different vlan. I guess that could make sense for admins and it explains why they would not want you using your own device.

Yes.

The Huawei and Gigabox routers don't have the ability to throttle the internet stream when a call arrives or is placed. By placing the voice call out of band in a seperate Vlan, you can give it additional bandwidth so that a maxed connection doesn't cause issues with voice quality. Both OpenEIR and SIRO offer this option to providers on their networks.

It also means, that the VoIP server used by the provider is not accessible through the traditional internet. You have to be on said Vlan to get to it.

It's different with the Fritz!Box routers. They have the ability of managing the bandwidth to free up enough to make a call, even when the connection is maxed. They can also use a seperate Vlan, if wanted by the provider.

Either way, that's neither here nor there. Eir is not interested in tech savvy users nor freedom of choice. They opted for a solution, that means very little change to the end user.

/M

Makes perfect sense now, thanks for the explanation.
    I can save time and give up all hope of using VOIP on an alternative device on the EIr network :)

Makes perfect sense now, thanks for the explanation.
    I can save time and give up all hope of using VOIP on an alternative device on the EIr network :)

Here comes the next culprit: if you decide to port your phone number to an alternative provider and you have a FTTH bundle with Eir ....... 24 hours later your FTTH connection will drop dead. It cancels off the entire package.

It takes another 24 hours to free the FTTH port. And another 24 hours for another provider to bring it back online again. If a weekend is in between those 3 days .. add another 2 days offline time to it.

/M

Yikes, thanks for the heads up!

So when people got the password from a Rep before and got no further it was because they were connected to the router that was trying to send it over the main data vlan(10)?

If they connected the phone direct to the ont and the phone supported changing the vlan do you think it may work?
    Even if it did it's too much effort and you might as well use the f2000.

So when people got the password from a Rep before and got no further it was because they were connected to the router that was trying to send it over the main data vlan(10)?

If they connected the phone direct to the ont and the phone supported changing the vlan do you think it may work?
    Even if it did it's too much effort and you might as well use the f2000.

No. It has been tried with the correct Vlan also. The credentials don't work, full stop.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Yes.

The Huawei and Gigabox routers don't have the ability to throttle the internet stream when a call arrives or is placed. By placing the voice call out of band in a seperate Vlan, you can give it additional bandwidth so that a maxed connection doesn't cause issues with voice quality. Both OpenEIR and SIRO offer this option to providers on their networks.

It also means, that the VoIP server used by the provider is not accessible through the traditional internet. You have to be on said Vlan to get to it.

It's different with the Fritz!Box routers. They have the ability of managing the bandwidth to free up enough to make a call, even when the connection is maxed. They can also use a seperate Vlan, if wanted by the provider.

Either way, that's neither here nor there. Eir is not interested in tech savvy users nor freedom of choice. They opted for a solution, that means very little change to the end user.

/M

Do I need some special username/password to activate a Friztbox on Eir FTTH?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Here comes the next culprit: if you decide to port your phone number to an alternative provider and you have a FTTH bundle with Eir ....... 24 hours later your FTTH connection will drop dead. It cancels off the entire package.

It takes another 24 hours to free the FTTH port. And another 24 hours for another provider to bring it back online again. If a weekend is in between those 3 days .. add another 2 days offline time to it.

/M

Is this applicable where eir have retained use of the copper for the phone rather than using VOIP through the modem?

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Do I need some special username/password to activate a Friztbox on Eir FTTH?

Thanks

Do you mean when using Eir as your provider and you want to use your own router?
    You just need to set the wan port to DHCP IPOE and use Vlan ID 10. Everything will work perfectly except Eir's VOIP service.

Edit: forgot to make it clear that you don't need a name or password

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fibre-DP-to-nowhere.jpg

DP for the Tepee

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

just to let you know martin just in case there is an error somewhere , the primary school which is a few hundred yards up the road from me has

F56FW32

"VDSL
    VDSL Broadband
    (up to 100 Mbit/s)
    Available 31-10-2018 at maximum 7M/1M"

but on my eircode it says:

"VDSL
    VDSL Broadband
    (up to 100 Mbit/s)
    Please check with our sales team or check"

and we are on the same telephone lines on the poles

just in case you need to amend something on your availability checker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It's not odd. They won't even call it VoIP, like everyone else. They call it VoBB.

And while it's a bit more complicated to use your own device, as the phone service is provided out of band on a different Vlan than the broadband, it is VoIP after all.

Vodafone is not an inch better in that regard.

/M

Voice over BroadBand much better name/terminology for it in my opinion especially for residential users to grasp/understand

Is this applicable where eir have retained use of the copper for the phone rather than using VOIP through the modem?

Yes. The same still happens because the 2 lines are bundled together under the same UAN and phone-number. No difference if you port it from copper or VoBB.
    Voice over BroadBand much better name/terminology for it in my opinion especially for residential users to grasp/understand

That still doesn't make it right though. VoIP is a long established terminology. Eir just wanted it fancy.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

just to let you know martin just in case there is an error somewhere , the primary school which is a few hundred yards up the road from me has

F56FW32

"VDSL
    VDSL Broadband
    (up to 100 Mbit/s)
    Available 31-10-2018 at maximum 7M/1M"

but on my eircode it says:

"VDSL
    VDSL Broadband
    (up to 100 Mbit/s)
    Please check with our sales team or check"

and we are on the same telephone lines on the poles

just in case you need to amend something on your availability checker.

No. That is entirely correct. It means that OpenEIR have data for the school and they have no data for you.

That's the way the OpenEIR database is. So instead of telling people "NO", we're telling people "Please check with our sales team or check", so that it can be manually rectified or investigated, if needed.

Until we are provided with better quality data, that's the most sensible way to treat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Isn't that how we end up with people calling their internet connection 'wifi'? :D

A bit like the the time when I called sky asking about Sky Q they were trying to convince me that I needed broadband in order for the multiroom to work. They couldn't differentiate between an actual broadband connection and in home network ('wifi') even when I explained it.

Yup, a VDSL modem would need to be installed at the premises at some point to record the signal and determine speed.

Yup, a VDSL modem would need to be installed at the premises at some point to record the signal and determine speed.

And the line needed to be connected to the VDSL DSLAM.

And since the school already is down to 7M/1M, the few additional meters could very much mean, that Andy can't get it and now has wasted an installation fee on nothing.

Being on the same pole is not the indicating factor. Total cable distance from the cabinet to the master socket is.

/M

I don't think he ordered, I think he just wanted martin to update him info to 7Mb/1Mb

But as said every vdsl line must be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Wait is it possible to have phone using the copper and not using the FTTH?

Is it more expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It is not that it is a new technology looking for a name. It already has one and that is VOIP.

Give things their proper name and people will use them and understand if they need to.
    Multiple names for the same technology is deliberately confusing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement