Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Wait is it possible to have phone using the copper and not using the FTTH?

Is it more expensive?

If there is an active eir landline on copper in place at the time of installation they generally leave it in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If there is an active eir landline on copper in place at the time of installation they generally leave it in situ.

My copper is still in situ but I have been switched to VOIP over fibre. I imagine they probably would have left it if I had been with Eir for the phone, but I was with Sky and the number was ported over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Wow, that will solve all my problems.

Cheers lads for all the help.

It's great to have a place like this with knowledgeable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Wow, that will solve all my problems.

Cheers lads for all the help.

It's great to have a place like this with knowledgeable people.

What problems will this info solve?

I was with eir for phone & DSL broadband prior to getting fibre and my phone remains on the copper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Really? When mine was installed just as the guy was getting into his van he said "btw your phone will switch to voip in an hour or two"
    It was the first I heard of it and he was gone before I could ask any questions.

I thought voip switchover was the default option unless you tell them you have an alarm that needs the old line.

• Advertisement

What problems will this info solve?

I was with eir for phone & DSL broadband prior to getting fibre and my phone remains on the copper.

The fiber is installed in my bedroom whereas I have a few phone ports around the house.

I won't have to keep the phone in the upstairs bedroom now which would be great news.

Guess I can also cancel the GSM order for my wired alarm system.

tuxy wrote: »
    Really? When mine was installed just as the guy was getting into his van he said "btw your phone will switch to voip in an hour or two"
    It was the first I heard of it and he was gone before I could ask any questions.

I thought voip switchover was the default option unless you tell them you have an alarm that needs the old line.

I was going by this and posters like Johnboy who has been left on copper.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107884537

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I was going by this and posters like Johnboy who has been left on copper.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107884537

I asked the installer about the VOIP set up and he said it was not on his worksheet so it remained on copper.

The fiber is installed in my bedroom whereas I have a few phone ports around the house.

I won't have to keep the phone in the upstairs bedroom now which would be great news.

Guess I can also cancel the GSM order for my wired alarm system.

Don't take my word as gospel on the matter. I had been going on what was posted here but people like tuxy seem to have been switched to VoIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

No. That is entirely correct. It means that OpenEIR have data for the school and they have no data for you.

That's the way the OpenEIR database is. So instead of telling people "NO", we're telling people "Please check with our sales team or check", so that it can be manually rectified or investigated, if needed.

Until we are provided with better quality data, that's the most sensible way to treat it.

oh, ok then - i just thought i was being helpful just in case you needed to investigate or correct details

• Advertisement

Don't take my word as gospel on the matter. I had been going on what was posted here but people like tuxy seem to have been switched to VoIP.

I've heard of people having no issue keeping a standard phone line once it's requested when ordering
    Now that I think about it I was asked if I had an alarm at the time of order and I said no. I'm sure I could have lied and kept my phone line connected if I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

First of all, you can't be sure, if your phone line stays on the copper or not. And getting the GSM upgrade for your alarm system now is a good plan. Because you don't know, when they're just going to abandon the copper entirely.

If the add-on modules for your alarm system don't exist anymore at such time, you'd have to buy a complete new alarm system.

If they move you to VoIP, you can in theory disconnect the incoming phone line in the back of the master-socket. Then plug the phone port of the router into the nearest phone socket to that.

That way all the sockets around the house will still work.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    And the line needed to be connected to the VDSL DSLAM.

And since the school already is down to 7M/1M, the few additional meters could very much mean, that Andy can't get it and now has wasted an installation fee on nothing.

Being on the same pole is not the indicating factor. Total cable distance from the cabinet to the master socket is.

/M

* naw because I am holding out for FTTH meself LOL :D

sure the VDSL 7m/1m is would be worst figures than I am getting with my present FW system

I don't think he ordered, I think he just wanted martin to update him info to 7Mb/1Mb

But as said every vdsl line must be tested.

spot on - im not ordering .. i'm (supposedly) just near to ordering FTTH that I can smell it (... apparently)

spot on - im not ordering .. i'm (supposedly) just near to ordering FTTH that I can smell it (... apparently)

Why would you waste somebodies time updating a database with something you're never going to order ?

/M

if you were a customer who kept their copper and active then you will still have to pay line (landline rental) at what is that about 25eur a month isnt it? (been years since I have had a landline so dont know costs now) - ifyou switch to VOIP / VoBB then you can ditch the copper and save yourself the line rental each month ... obviously if u have something like eircom phonewatch or similar (if it uses copper landline) then you will obviously have to keep the copper landline active.

if you were a customer who kept their copper and active then you will still have to pay line (landline rental) at what is that about 25eur a month isnt it? (been years since I have had a landline so dont know costs now) - ifyou switch to VOIP / VoBB then you can ditch the copper and save yourself the line rental each month ... obviously if u have something like eircom phonewatch or similar (if it uses copper landline) then you will obviously have to keep the copper landline active.

That is not true. Somebody like Johnboy who has FTTH and a copper landline is not paying extra line rental for the copper.

Exactly, the Eir package includes phone provided over whatever method they decide unless you specify you need a standard line for an alarm.

Why would you waste somebodies time updating a database with something you're never going to order ?

/M

because I am presumably not going to be the only one viewing it - jaysus , get in to trouble just for trying to be helpful. I thought if martin wasnt aware that it might have been a help to point him to the (what I thought was) discrepancy but I wish i hadnt bothered now

That is not true. Somebody like Johnboy who has FTTH and a copper landline is not paying extra line rental for the copper.

is he not? - i thought if you have an active landline you had to pay line rental on it - sorry then for the mis-information then

• Advertisement

is he not? - i thought if you have an active landline you had to pay line rental on it - sorry then for the mis-information then

The line rental is included in the bundle price that you pay to eir. You are paying line rental with VoIP, it's just the transmission method that is different.

The line rental is included in the bundle price that you pay to eir. You are paying line rental with VoIP, it's just the transmission method that is different.

surprising that because with copper landline some of the charge what you are paying is for the power for the active line - whereas Gpon fibre has fraction of power of the POTS , so I would have thought that when a person ditched POTS and went right over to VOIP they would have saved 25eur a month or whatever it is and just pay for the FTTH (with VOIP included if in the package they selected)

Running POTS and FTTH VOIP (if you dont need a landline say if dont have an alarm that relies on landline) seems strange to me because that would be like still using a 56k modem at the same time as using ADSL when ADSL/VDS would be newer technology and can do the same as the 56k and more) .. which you wouldnt do

The line rental is not based on the actual cost to operate the line.

The line rental is a Comreg regulated agreed price, that is based on the overall cost of running the network, having to provide the USO and the split by the amount lines in operation or available.

It doesn't matter if your phone service (from Eir) comes via copper, wireless, fibre or by any other means or what it costs to provide it.

If it costs them less to operate it, then thats just more profit to them.

If Eir got rid of the USO, then they would have to slash the pricing on the line rental overall. Not something they're looking forward to, even though they'd like to get rid of the USO.

/M

Hasn't it been at least a decade since eir even put a line rental charge on the bill when a broadband/phone combo is ordered. It shows as bundle/service charge and it still shows as bundle/service charge after the installation of FTTH.
    If someone was to order a phone service only then yes it may show as line rental in that case or perhaps it will just be a service charge.

Hasn't it been at least a decade since eir even put a line rental charge on the bill when a broadband/phone combo is ordered. It shows as bundle/service charge and it still shows as bundle/service charge after the installation of FTTH.
    If someone was to order a phone service only then yes it may show as line rental in that case or perhaps it will just be a service charge.

The line rental charge is part of the bundle.

The issue with the bundle is, that once you cancel one part of the bundle, the whole product falls apart and they can lock you back into a new contract.

You do not fall back to a standalone product.

That's deliberate. It also makes it a lot more difficult to compare with others.

/M

The line rental charge is part of the bundle.

The issue with the bundle is, that once you cancel one part of the bundle, the whole product falls apart and they can lock you back into a new contract.

You do not fall back to a standalone product.

That's deliberate. It also makes it a lot more difficult to compare with others.

/M

I cancelled the VoIP part of my bundle last week. It is due to terminate on the 7th of November. No new contract. Are you saying my connection will fail on that day?

Got off the phone there with Eir.

They set the phone to stay with the copper at time of order.

I'm glad

so I havent got an active POTS line (the copper is in situ though and wired up to the master socket and rest of sockets in the house) - and go with eir FTTH , if i got FTTH and decided I dont want to use VOIP for my calls but instead have/make my calls through a POTS line instead of VoBB/VOIP then eir will not charge for line rental for the POTS line they have to activate and get working ... because I will be paying for a FTTH package from eir?

Also , they used to chargesomething like 120eur to activate a POTS line didnt they? - would they charge me that too ?

I just have a feeling they would tell me I dont need an active landline and to use VOIP/VoBB through the FTTH myself (and that would be logical IMO)

Also if a customer gets the POTS landline rental included in their package ... and I pay the same FTTH package price - but dont have a working POTS landline , why am I not getting a discount ... or why are they not paying more because they have FTTH and a working POTS line ... why would they be same price package?

I cancelled the VoIP part of my bundle last week. It is due to terminate on the 7th of November. No new contract. Are you saying my connection will fail on that day?

I'm not sure, what happens when you cancel the VoIP portion. The contractual part obviously is down to whatever they've advised you on. You will probably be alright.

But if you were to port the phone number off to another phone provider, it would fail 24 hours later. And it would block the GPON port in the DP for another 24 hours after that again in the DP.

After those 48 hours, an ISP would be able to re-order, but an in-situ order still takes another 24 hours.

If there's a weekend in the mix, nothing progresses on those 2 days. Adds another 48 hours.

/M

• Advertisement

so I havent got an active POTS line (the copper is in situ though and wired up to the master socket and rest of sockets in the house) - and go with eir FTTH , if i got FTTH and decided I dont want to use VOIP for my calls but instead have/make my calls through a POTS line instead of VoBB/VOIP then eir will not charge for line rental for the POTS line they have to activate and get working ... because I will be paying for a FTTH package from eir?

First of, you would need to order your phone line from Eir before you order the bundle. So that it's enabled on the copper line.

The next problem is, that you probably can't avail of the discount on the website anymore .. because now you're not a new customer anymore. So the bundle price goes up by a 10er per month. The pricing they advertise is for new customers only, that come from other providers.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement