Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »
    First of, you would need to order your phone line from Eir before you order the bundle. So that it's enabled on the copper line.

The next problem is, that you probably can't avail of the discount on the website anymore .. because now you're not a new customer anymore. So the bundle price goes up by a 10er per month. The pricing they advertise is for new customers only, that come from other providers.

/M

so that would be a FTTC VDSL package then (if FTTC VDSL is live , if not ADSL) ... and then add FTTH on top , if I wanted to order FTTH along with a working landline - then keep FTTH for my broadband / fibre internet and the POTS to make regular phone calls - seems messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Also if a customer gets the POTS landline rental included in their package ... and I pay the same FTTH package price - but dont have a working POTS landline , why am I not getting a discount ... or why are they not paying more because they have FTTH and a working POTS line ... why would they be same price package?

Because it's the same package as far a eir(not openeir) are concerned just provided differently, both of you get a working telephone service. They will not discourage people who currently have house alarm systems from signing up. If the alarm worked over voip they would probably use that for everyone.

tuxy wrote: »
    Because it's the same package as far a eir(not openeir) are concerned just provided differently, both of you get a working telephone service. They will not discourage people who currently have house alarm systems from signing up. If the alarm worked over voip they would probably use that for everyone.

thats a good point . I dont particulary know how these house alarms work apart from that they work on the analog POTS line .. but these TEL/VOIP sockets on the VDSL modems and the like , are them sockets not analog as well because you can plug in an ordinary PSTN/POTS telephone into them sockets on the router. although with VOIP do you still get a dial tone? (I have never used VOIP through a modem before , as you can most probably tell - my fixed wireless offered VOIP but I never availed of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

VoIP works the same for voice as it does on an analog line.

Anything digital (data transmission, fax, dtmf tones) does not work without special protocols, because VoIP uses compression codecs for the voice and makes swiss cheese out of data transmissions.

That means, that the majority of alarms and the HSE panic buttons don't work, because they use old fashioned analog modem transmission.

The life-line panic button works. I believe they just use DTMF tones for it. Which is really good.

And alarm systems can be changed to use GSM, which still has the capability of dial-up data.

GSM actually had the same problems, when it was rolled out in the start of the 90s. While fax transmissions worked no problem on old analogue mobile phones, GSM is like ISDN just mobile and made swiss cheese out of faxes during transmission. It was fixed by adding special profiles for fax and data calls that would not be compressed.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hi all again,

Just looking to improve the WiFi around the house, have a few dead areas with the eir router.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the following solutions or if there is anything different out there.

Was looking at the Netgear Orbi RBK53, Ubiquity Amplifi HD, Netgear Nighthawk R8000 or XR500? or just use a couple of powerline adapters.

I have used the power lines before but it was only on a very slow connection.

Ideally I would like to get rid of the eir router and just use one device instead, is that even possible with any of the above Netgear or Ubiquity solutions?

I know the best solution would be to hard wire a few extra ports around the house but that isn't possible in the near future anyway.

Not using VOIP either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Hi all again,

Just looking to improve the WiFi around the house, have a few dead areas with the eir router.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the following solutions or if there is anything different out there.

Was looking at the Netgear Orbi RBK53, Ubiquity Amplifi HD, Netgear Nighthawk R8000 or XR500? or just use a couple of powerline adapters.

I have used the power lines before but it was only on a very slow connection.

Ideally I would like to get rid of the eir router and just use one device instead, is that even possible with any of the above Netgear or Ubiquity solutions?

I know the best solution would be to hard wire a few extra ports around the house but that isn't possible in the near future anyway.

Not using VOIP either

Have you tried them now you have a faster connection?

Have you tried them now you have a faster connection?

I'm not in possession of them anymore so would need to rebuy.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Are you asking can you replace the f2000 with an r8000?

If so my r7800 works without the f2000, you just have to set up a vlan profile

If you are asking about coverage?

Im not too sure. I only used the f2000 for a few days and didnt really see any problems with coverage, it was just on the slow side

I have got a lend of a set of tp link AV600? Powerline adapters and the speeds are 10 down and 50up

I can knock that model of powerline adapters off the list so.

I have got a lend of a set of tp link AV600? Powerline adapters and the speeds are 10 down and 50up

I can knock powerline adapters off the list so.

AV600 should have wireless up to 300mbps I think - 50 up that seems high .. your not getting 50down and 10up are ye?

what FTTH package you on from eir is it 150mbps / 300mbps or gigabit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

AV600 should have wireless up to 300mbps I think - 50 up that seems high .. your not getting 50down and 10up are ye?

I think you'd be lucky to get 10% of the quoted speed on a powerline tbh

I think you'd be lucky to get 10% of the quoted speed on a powerline tbh

misleading information on product packaging then or product not fit for purpose ... but then they will always get away with the "Up to.." get out clause

I use a powerline adaptor for one room that's a deadspot, extension with very thick walls

I'm lucky that I can get 50 mbit using an AV1300 adaptor as plugging the same adaptor into other sockets around the house I get 10-20 mbit. There is one place I can plug it in where I get 90mbit but that's not much use as that room has good wifi signal.

Electrical power circuits are not designed to transmit data. It's all very random what speeds you will get and in some houses they will even fail to connect completely.

I can knock that model of powerline adapters off the list so.

Having a good upload speed and poor download speed can sometimes be a result of plugging it into a surge protector which you should never do. But it can also just be the power adaptor acting weird which is not unusual.

The f2000 does have poor wifi performance from my experience.
    Use an app for phone or laptop to measure wifi signal strength. Can it see the wifi signal at all in the deadspot even if it can't connect?
    What signal strength are you getting?

I'm on the 300 package. And no it wasn't a mix up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

misleading information on product packaging then or product not fit for purpose ... but then they will always get away with the "Up to.." get out clause

You might not think they are fit for purpose, as is your entitlement.

I have used them for many years and they are capable of streaming Live HD video in my house without a glitch.

I do not expect them to be capable of a sustained 1Gb/s transfer, but then I don't expect that from any of the devices I have here including those with 1Gb/s ethernet interfaces.

Neither would I expect the same devices to operate in someone else's house in a similar manner.
    They might work better, or maybe worse.
    That will depend on the house wiring and other factors.

Maximum capabilites advertised in ideal conditions is no indicator of performance in a 'real' situation ....... the same goes for any similar type product.

Can it see the wifi signal at all in the deadspot even if it can't connect?
    What signal strenght are you getting?

Sometimes in the kitchen it's on 1 bar, other times it's not. Would like something more consistent.

Sometimes in the kitchen it's on 1 bar, other times it's not. Would like something more consistent.

A bar is not a measurement. You need to install an app to measure signal in dBm which may help us recommend a solution.

A bar is not a measurement. You need to install an app to measure signal in dBm which may help us recommend a solution.

It goes from around - 87 to not picking it up in say room A and not picking it up atall in room B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

You might not think they are fit for purpose, as is your entitlement.

I have used them for many years and they are capable of streaming Live HD video in my house without a glitch.

I do not expect them to be capable of a sustained 1Gb/s transfer, but then I don't expect that from any of the devices I have here including those with 1Gb/s ethernet interfaces.

Neither would I expect the same devices to operate in someone else's house in a similar manner.
    They might work better, or maybe worse.
    That will depend on the house wiring and other factors.

Maximum capabilites advertised in ideal conditions is no indicator of performance in a 'real' situation ....... the same goes for any similar type product.

Yeah same kinda experience. I have a set of TP AV1300 powerline adaptors plugged into an Archer C1200 to get wifi upstairs and over spill into the garden. They run faster than my 2.4GHz devices can connect to the Archer anyhow ~ around 200-300Mbps. Downstairs my 5GHz devices connect to my Fritzbox or are wired direct.
    I also have another AV1300 that I can move about the house if needed and I find that speed varies dramatically depending on location and what else is running - drier/dishwasher etc. Can be as low as 30Mbps but even that's above the 25Mbps Netflix recommends for Ultra HD. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

I have a bit of a black spot of knowledge when it comes to networking but i remember in the old days of 802.11b/g/n router if i wanted better stable wireless signal and reaching better places I would change settings in the router configuration page from N say to G and then maybe take "auto" off on channel frequency and try channels up and and down from ch6 and try all different settings until the room where I had the poorest wireless signal and try and tweak the best signal with the most bars -

I am presuming the f2000 has a wireless configuration page where you can change 802.11ac to n ? and change channel frequency manually .. i would even try maybe disabling temporarily the 802.11ac to open network as well because i have noticed in the past sometimes the encryption slowing down the connection and limiting the reach of the wireless signal and open reaching further, but that might has just been me thinking it

sorry for going off topic (well its sort of on topic because its discussing the f2000 router supplied with FTTH )

• Advertisement

I just got a DM back from OpenEir to say about FTTH to my house "a new exchange is waiting to go live in in your area in the first week of November. Your premises is linked to this exchange. Apologies again for the delay"

I am presuming the f2000 has a wireless configuration page where you can change 802.11ac to n ? and change channel frequency manually .. i would even try maybe disabling temporarily the 802.11ac to open network as well because i have noticed in the past sometimes the encryption slowing down the connection and limiting the reach of the wireless signal and open reaching further, but that might has just been me thinking it

No the F2000 comes with 2 different SSID's for 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz as default.
    You select which you want when you connect so yes do make sure you are connected using the 2.4 SSID if you have problems with low signal strength.

Many access points will broadcast both wavelengths on the same SSID because most modern clients are setup to move between the two depending on signal strength.
    This is the setup I use and it works well for me as my phone will move around depending on what part of the house I'm in. So if I'm near the AP I'll get close to full 150 mbit and probably more if I moved to a faster package.
    However some clients are not very good at roaming and that can cause issues. Apple devices are actually fairly good at this and android comes with loads of setting where you can set rules based on signal strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I just got a DM back from OpenEir to say about FTTH to my house "a new exchange is waiting to go live in in your area in the first week of November. Your premises is linked to this exchange. Apologies again for the delay"

The phone lines are passing on the checker as I said to you about the pub but perhaps they have not officially launched the exchange yet. I'm not sure what that has to do with your home though unless they plan on launching FTTC and FTTH on the same day. Perhaps there is still an issue with the backhaul.

Yes the new exchange about to go live was the message I got from Eir a few years ago when they installed VDSL at the exchange I was connected to.
    Does your exchange have VDSL or is it still on ADSL only?

Yes the new exchange about to go live was the message I got from Eir a few years ago when they installed VDSL at the exchange I was connected to.
    Does your exchange have VDSL or is it still on ADSL only?

It's ADSL.

The phone lines are passing on the checker as I said to you about the pub but perhaps they have not officially launched the exchange yet. I'm not sure what that has to do with your home though unless they plan on launching FTTC and FTTH on the same day. Perhaps there is still an issue with the backhaul.

oh right thanks for that ... so is that a normal thing that they can be live ... but the exchange(es) have to be 'officially launched' before i can place an order with a provider? - how do they do this "official launch" do you know? - is it all bells and whistles like an announcement in the newspaper, on the local radio news, and signs next to the road in the village to say something like "Fibre Now Available" or is it just a low key launch and supply details to ISP's that customers can now order?

oh and which famous person gets to cut the tape at the cabinet at the official launch ;) "I now declare this cabinet Fibre Live!" :D

It's ADSL.

not VDSL now seeing as the pub passes for 100mbps ?

not VDSL now seeing as the pub passes for 100mbps ?

I meant it has been ADSL. If the open eir message is correct then VDSL has not yet been launched. The pub is still passing for VDSL but it may not be possible to actually get it installed yet. My home was passing for FTTH a month before it went live.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am using two routers - the F2000 router on 5 Ghz has at least 10 db lower signal strength than the secondary Vodafone router I used to extend coverage, which is using 2.4 Ghz. I found the 2.4 GHz SSID on the F2000 equally as weak as the 5Ghz one.

Sitting just 4m from the F2000 and the signal strength on 5 Ghz is only -79 db

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    I am using two routers - the F2000 router on 5 Ghz has at least 10 db lower signal strength than the secondary Vodafone router I used to extend coverage, which is using 2.4 Ghz. I found the 2.4 GHz SSID on the F2000 equally as weak as the 5Ghz one.

It the Vodafone router not the same device, Huawei HG659?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement