Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It the Vodafone router not the same device, Huawei HG659?

No, The Vodafone one is years old and is the EchoLife  HG556a. I never thought it was very good for signal strength but it still trashes the F2000. I really wish I could extend the network with the Sky router I have, as that has better range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

We were told providing us with FttC was not commercially viable, offered dsl instead. Same thing shows up on the fibre rollout site etc.

Engineer called out. Pointed to the exchange across our street and asked why nobody on our road was getting FttH.

So yeah we actually can get FttH because we live at the exchange. It will be set up this week. Funny that this was not communicated to us or our neighbours before when inquiring... I know next door have gone through multiple providers trying to get an adequate service.

...also, sky lied that eir still apply a fair usage policy when we cancelled the dsl order in favour of eir FttH. Presumably the person thought it was true, but they can't be saying that without checking their facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Hi all again,

Just looking to improve the WiFi around the house, have a few dead areas with the eir router.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the following solutions or if there is anything different out there.

Was looking at the Netgear Orbi RBK53, Ubiquity Amplifi HD, Netgear Nighthawk R8000 or XR500? or just use a couple of powerline adapters.

I have used the power lines before but it was only on a very slow connection.

Ideally I would like to get rid of the eir router and just use one device instead, is that even possible with any of the above Netgear or Ubiquity solutions?

I know the best solution would be to hard wire a few extra ports around the house but that isn't possible in the near future anyway.

Not using VOIP either

I wonder if this kind of setup would work using powerlines - take the ethernet out of one of the LAN sockets on the modem router thats hooked up to the ONT and put it into the power-line adaptor and then in another area of the house plug in the powerline receiver and plug the ethernet out of that plug into the WAN socket of a wireless 802.11ac router and then connect with the SSID off that router instead of the one where the ONT is? - would that give a better wireless range in the house?

464528.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes something is not right with the f2000 on 2.4g. 2.4 should aways have a stronger signal once there is no 2.4g interfearance . I had a collection of junk rebranded eircom routers some over a decase old of couse they have no 5g but outperedform the f2000 when it comes to signal.

My new AP does a much better job on 2.4 than all of them while also doing a good job on 5g at the same time.

I meant it has been ADSL. If the open eir message is correct then VDSL has not yet been launched. The pub is still passing for VDSL but it may not be possible to actually get it installed yet. My home was passing for FTTH a month before it went live.

that is such a strange way of operating things ... how could a company pass something thats not launched and cannot be able to install it yet! :rolleyes:

It should go: the cabinet is live and has passed tests for up to 100mbps (FTTC) and so a service can now be orders - how can they pass it for fibre if the gubbings in it is still ADSL??? - or how can they pass a premises for 100mbps if the cabinet hasnt gone live yet!

• Advertisement

I wonder if this kind of setup would work using powerlines - take the ethernet out of one of the LAN sockets on the modem router thats hooked up to the ONT
    Please leave the ONT alone. Doing that would leave you with no wan conbection to your fibre. Why would you want the power line on a WAN port?

If you plug it into a lan port on your router and plug the other side into a wifi AP you will get whateved speed the powerline adaptor is capable of.

Btw if someone wants to try using an old router as an AP just disable the DHCP server on it and give it a valid non cinflicting IP on your home network and use the LAN ports. It usually works but can depend on the settings of the router.

tuxy wrote: »
    Please leave the ONT alone. Doing that would leave you with no wan conbection to your fibre. Why would you want the power line on a WAN port?

If you plug it into a lan port on your router and plug the other side into a wifi AP you will get whateved speed the powerline adaptor is capable of.

I never mentioned anything about messing with the ONT !

The lan cable that comes out of ONT to the F2000 router or fritz box has (what is it 4 LAN sockets?) that you can plug in an ethernet from your laptop if you wish - ONT not even touched!

Ah I see so you want to connect to Eirs network over your WAN port with a power adapter in between. That could possibly work while greatly reducing speed and increasing latency.
    What purpose does the modem in the diagram serve except for using its switch to link two Ethernet cables? What kind of modem is it?

Ah I see so you want to connect to Eirs network over your WAN port with a power adapter in between. That could possibly work while greatly reducing speed and increasing latency.
    What purpose does the modem in the diagram serve except for using its switch to link two Ethernet cables? What kind of modem is it?

nothing at the moment - I havent even got FTTH installed yet :)

I was just thinking about your man getting a bad wireless signal in parts of the house because of where the F2000 is placed next to the ONT and if by using a power-line setup to bring out a wireless router (stronger w-fi signal than the f2000 puts out) if this kind of set up works . He has 300mbps package though so he might loose quite a lot of that speed due to the powerline plugs though.

• Advertisement

But the modem/Router/Switch/WIFI combo in the diagram is just using the switch to connect two ethernet cables why is it there? It has no way to connect to your Lan.

But the modem/Router/Switch/WIFI combo in the diagram is just using the switch to connect two ethernet cables why is it there? It has no way to connect to your Lan.

Grey cable from ONT into F2000 powerline plug to Lan1 socket say for example - then data travels through house wiring then to the other TP link plug and then take the ethernet cable out of the TP link plug and put it in a Wireless router of your choice (as long as its a WAN socket)

464534.jpg

Why would you use the switch on the F2000 when plugging the powerline into the grey cable directly has the same result?

It's still a poor solution anyway as you want as few devices as possible down stream of the power line adapter.
    Put the power adapter on a lan port after the Wan connection. Make use of wifi on both devices on non overlapping channels and try to connect to the one that is not connected to the lan over power adaptor when you can. Also it's very important to not use the one connected to the power adaptor as a router.

The labeling of modem is confusing also as there is no modulation being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I must be missing something here but why extend the wifi using the plugs to only plug it into another wifi router???

Why would you use the switch on the F2000 when plugging the powerline into the grey cable directly has the same result?

you see that's were I was confused because I thought you had to have the modem with the Vlan tagging to work , thats why I put the F2000 modem router in that diagram and thats why i left it in situ in the diagram - i wouldnt have thought you could just plug the grey lead from the ONT right into the powerline plug or straight into a laptop and get internet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

i wouldnt have thought you could just plug the grey lead from the ONT right into the powerline plug or straight into a laptop and get internet

You can't. Most average user or novice can't. Only if the power-line adapter is Vlan transparent and doesn't strip the Vlan tag or said laptop is configured with Vlan tagging on it's interface.

If you know, what you are at, you can.

/M

fritzelly wrote: »
    I must be missing something here but why extend the wifi using the plugs to only plug it into another wifi router???

so you can use a different wi-fi router with a better more reliable signal/longer reach than the f2000 and also place it in a better location in the house and not restricted to have it next to the ONT

so you can use a different wi-fi router with a better more reliable signal/longer reach than the f2000 and also place it in a better location in the house and not restricted to have it next to the ONT

I'm baffled

I was figuring that some times the wireless router is better place central in the house especially when there are dead spots where the wireless signal wont reach.

Even in my own situation when I finally get FTTH installed (hopefully November if what open eir say is true) that the ODP and ONT and Modem/wireless router will all be placed in a bedroom at the side of the house because thats where the fibre will enter the building. But i personally find in my house anyway that the wireless router that we have works good in the hall ... in the middle of the house

No, i was just also relaying my idea to your man who was getting dead spots and thinking of using TP-Link plugs ... but if they wont work or strip Vlan tagging or loose too much bandwidth then fair enough I will take that.

For the speeds you might get on a home plug system plugging it into a wireless router as well is probably not gonna make any difference. Better to wire a Cat6 cable to where you want the wireless router to be to cover as much ground as possible
    Doesn't make sense to spend money on something that will probably give you crappy wifi to start with.

• Advertisement

A WAN port connects two subnets. In most homes this is used to connect your lan subnet to your ISPs subnet.
    It's at this point that vlan tagging is done, it can be done on your LAN also with the right router but how many people need a vlan in their house?

Power adapters can be put to good use to eliminate dead spots but are also difficult to recommend to any individual because of very unpredictable speeds. You should always try to borrow a pair or order from amazon who will probably accept a return/refund of opened goods.
    It makes no sense at all to throttle you WAN connection to your ISP. Just use the adapters on your LAN never on an external WAN connection.

For the speeds you might get on a home plug system plugging it into a wireless router as well is probably not gonna make any difference. Better to wire a Cat6 cable to where you want the wireless router to be to cover as much ground as possible
    Doesn't make sense to spend money on something that will probably give you crappy wifi to start with.

Drilling all them holes and all that cat6 cabling and crimping RJ45 connectors .. I would rather try seeing how the power-plugs work out .

Currys have TP-LINK TL-PA4010 Powerline Adapter (reportedly up to 600mbps) for only 29.99eur a pair it wouldnt break the bank if it didnt work

EDIT: actually the TP-LINK WPA4220 WiFi Powerline Adapter Kit at 46.99 looks even better idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Drilling all them holes and all that cat6 cabling and crimping RJ45 connectors .. I would rather try seeing how the power-plugs work out .

Currys have TP-LINK TL-PA4010 Powerline Adapter (reportedly up to 600mbps) for only 29.99eur a pair it wouldnt break the bank if it didnt work

EDIT: actually the TP-LINK WPA4220 WiFi Powerline Adapter Kit at 46.99 looks even better idea

Get a €20 xiaomi router and put it in access point/ bridge mode, should outperform powerline plugs easily

Marlow wrote: »
    You can't. Most average user or novice can't. Only if the power-line adapter is Vlan transparent and doesn't strip the Vlan tag or said laptop is configured with Vlan tagging on it's interface.

If you know, what you are at, you can.

/M

are all / most the power-line adapters strip the Vlan tag do you reckon? -

If the f2000 (or similar router) has already communicated with the Vlan tag ID does that still have to be intact and pass onto another router or transfer over wireless and power-line adapters as well then?

Get a €20 xiaomi router and put it in access point/ bridge mode, should outperform powerline plugs easily

Yesh mesh wifi networks at the consumer level have come a long way and are a better solution in most cases now.

In my case even a wifi transmitter right next to the door will not get a good signal into the extentiion. Very thick wall and the doors are double glazed glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

If you are getting 1gbit would you not just goto the effort of getting some cat 6a cable off Amazon and get the drill out and get the most out of your connection, no messing or faffing around testing if this or that will work sufficiently?

you could as well - what are we talking ordering from China and waiting 3 or 4 weeks ?

Maybe start a separate thread about routers and wifi extenders - you have been bringing this thread off topic multiple times.

Maybe start a separate thread about routers and wifi extenders - you have been bringing this thread off topic multiple times.

yes OK I will refrain now about talking of networking - my idea was born out of @Rossi IRL who has FTTH and dead spots in his rooms of wireless signal - so it was sort of on topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wish they would provide a symetrical home package.
    alongside 150/30 ....... maybe offer 75/75 or something close.
    That would suit a lot of users I suspect :)
    If you need those upload speeds then you are not a residential user. BW still costs money and if you have need for fast uploads as well as downloads then you are basically doubling the cost to the provider.

I asked a couple of mates living in other EU countries what their service was like.

1. has 200/200 for about €25 in Denmark
    2. got 100/100 for €22 in Seville .... but strangely he is getting 350/350 on his connection. :cool:

If only our providers would/could provide such service at such reasonable prices. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement