Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I asked a couple of mates living in other EU countries what their service was like.

1. has 200/200 for about €25 in Denmark
    2. got 100/100 for €22 in Seville .... but strangely he is getting 350/350 on his connection. :cool:

If only our providers would/could provide such service at such reasonable prices. :(

thats good symetric upload and download speeds the same as well - especially as a lot of people upload to youtube and other places these days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I asked a couple of mates living in other EU countries what their service was like.

2. got 100/100 for €22 in Seville .... but strangely he is getting 350/350 on his connection. :cool:

If only our providers would/could provide such service at such reasonable prices. :(

Quick check and those are not the norm for both your examples
    As already mentioned there are the outliers there. Who are there ISP's
    http://www.speedtest.net/reports/spain/

Same results for Denmark (well I checked Copenhagen and Denmark in general) - couldn't even find a provider offering more than 100mb in Denmark and the prices are a lot higher than you quoted (but still better than Ireland)

And none of them offer same down/up speeds

Ahh crap I'm reading those figures a bit wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

fritzelly wrote: »
    Quick check and those are not the norm for both your examples
    As already mentioned there are the outliers there. Who are there ISP's
    http://www.speedtest.net/reports/spain/

Same results for Denmark (well I checked Copenhagen and Denmark in general) - couldn't even find a provider offering more than 100mb in Denmark and the prices are a lot higher than you quoted (but still better than Ireland)

And none of them offer same down/up speeds

Ahh crap I'm reading those figures a bit wrong.

You seem to be looking at mobile speeds ;)

EDIT:

I just heard back from my contact in Seville ... :D
    A new, very small, local provider near to Seville: Nextfibra http://nextfibra.com/

21€...

spain-speed.png

His speed test yesterday

spain-speed2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fritzelly wrote: »

Here's a broadband comparison site: https://www.bredbaandsguiden.dk/bredbaand

Split the DKK (kr.) by 7.5.

100/25 is 29 EUR with Hiper. 6 months contract.
    30/30 is 30 EUR with Stofa. 1 months contract.

That's the bottom line in Denmark and then it goes up.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭dam099

Marlow wrote: »
    You can't. Most average user or novice can't. Only if the power-line adapter is Vlan transparent and doesn't strip the Vlan tag or said laptop is configured with Vlan tagging on it's interface.

If you know, what you are at, you can.

/M

Some of them must be transparent then :), I was doing it for a few weeks, not Eir though, SIRO ONT into Power-line on one end, Power-line into the HG659 on the other.

Not that I'd recommend it long term, I was having some construction done downstairs where the ONT was and didn't want the router sitting in the middle of it. Speeds fluctuated between 50-200 Mbs over an iPhone 8 and every time the sparkys cut the power it didn't come back up properly without rebooting the power-line adapters after everything else was up. I couldn't test more reliably than that as most my gear was in storage.

Permanent solution was to get CAT6 as part of said construction and I can get 930 Mbs wired on PC or ATV4K and occasionally 600 Mbs on the iPhone to Netgear 7800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Has it not already been stated dozens times on here that Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in the Europe for broadband because of our huge rural population. It's people like you who are the reason why we have expensive broadband. Urban customers have to subsidise all of the telephone poles on private land feeding your house.

You complaining about high prices for broadband is like you taking a dump on the floor of your bathroom and then wondering why there's a smell in the house, while blaming the smell on everyone but you.

Spain also has the highest percentage of people living in flats in Europe, which are easy and cheap to fibre-up, combined with lower salaries, that's why broadband is cheaper there.

I'm hoping Eircom's new owners slaps a large tariff on rural dwellers as SIRO gobbles up more of its urban customers, it's the only way they can stay competitive in urban areas with competition from rivals heating up.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

You complaining about high prices for broadband is like you taking a dump on the floor of your bathroom and then wondering why there's a smell in the house, while blaming the smell on everyone but you.

I'm hoping Eircom's new owners slaps a large tariff on rural dwellers as SIRO gobbles up more of its urban customers, it's the only way they can stay competitive in urban areas with competition from rivals heating up.

Good Lord

Has it not already been stated dozens times on here that Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in the Europe for broadband because of our huge rural population. It's people like you who are the reason why we have expensive broadband. Urban customers have to subsidise all of the telephone poles on private land feeding your house.

Spain also has the highest percentage of people living in flats in Europe, which are easy and cheap to fibre-up, combined with lower salaries, that's why broadband is cheaper there.

Why don't you tell us all how you really feel?

That you harbour such ill-hopes and disregard for fellow citizens says a lot about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The cost of living in Dublin is 28.77% higher than in Madrid; the cost of rent in Dublin, in particular, is 84.82% higher than in Madrid.

As a country dweller, I sincerely apologize for making your cost of living so high. In order to atone for my sins, I'm going to sell up and move to Dublin forthwith. Hopefully everyone else who lives outside of Dublin will follow my example as a matter of courtesy to you and Marx. Just imagine how much prices will fall in Dublin when we do! I'm sure the cost of accommodation will plummet by at least 80% - don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Nicht feeding ze troll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Airwire gives me an "Available 07-11-18" message. Decided to mail openeir to see what they'd say. They said "the current forecast date suggests that your area should be connected to the fibre network on or before December 2018." I'd say December is more likely, unless they are just trotting out December as it was a "Winter 2018" date all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

chris_ie wrote: »
    Airwire gives me an "Available 07-11-18" message. Decided to mail openeir to see what they'd say. They said "the current forecast date suggests that your area should be connected to the fibre network on or before December 2018." I'd say December is more likely, unless they are just trotting out December as it was a "Winter 2018" date all along.

it will be a nice christmas present :)

it will be a nice christmas present :)

It would indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭blueser

KN have been working on my road on and off for the last couple of months. They were around yesterday so I asked them when we were likely to be connected (second half of 2018, ccording to the rollout map). The bloke said hopefully in the next two or three months, so hopefully it might be available and connected for Christmas. I should get 150mbps, according to the KN guy. It'll be a huge step up from what laughingly passes for broadband at the moment; 1.5mbps.

Mind you; I was told "2 months" 2 months ago!

blueser wrote: »
    KN have been working on my road on and off for the last couple of months. They were around yesterday so I asked them when we were likely to be connected (second half of 2018, ccording to the rollout map). The bloke said hopefully in the next two or three months, so hopefully it might be available and connected for Christmas. I should get 150mbps, according to the KN guy. It'll be a huge step up from what laughingly passes for broadband at the moment; 1.5mbps.

Mind you; I was told "2 months" 2 months ago!

If you could get 150Mb/s then you could if you wished get 1,000Mb/s as it would be FTTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I should get 150mbps, according to the KN guy.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. If you get FTTH connected to your house you will get 1000mbs. It's not variable like DSL.

You can then decide what speed package you want from the ISP.(150,300 or 1000)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭blueser

tuxy wrote: »
    He doesn't know what he's talking about. If you get FTTH connected to your house you will get 1000mbs. It's not variable like DSL.

You can then decide what speed package you want from the ISP.(150,300 or 1000)
    If you could get 150Mb/s then you could if you wished get 1,000Mb/s as it would be FTTH.
    I guess he was assuming that I would be opting for the cheapest package. I'm fully aware that 1000mbs is available.

I guess he was assuming that I would be opting for the cheapest package. I'm fully aware that 1000mbs is available.

Assumption is the mother of all f*** ups.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'd like to just thank everyone for their help over the weekend there. With your guidance I was able to source the duct under the decking (not the mains power line!) and make it accessible.

The KN guy came out and found that the duct was partially blocked. In all fairness to him he spent a good while working with it and finally got a cable through from the pole to the house. So we're up and running now with FTTH and it was a huge monkey off my back because we bought the house with no guarantee of quality broadband.

Much obliged to you all. Hopefully those of you still waiting for FTTH get sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I'd like to just thank everyone for their help over the weekend there. With your guidance I was able to source the duct under the decking (not the mains power line!) and make it accessible.

The KN guy came out and found that the duct was partially blocked. In all fairness to him he spent a good while working with it and finally got a cable through from the pole to the house. So we're up and running now with FTTH and it was a huge monkey off my back because we bought the house with no guarantee of quality broadband.

Much obliged to you all. Hopefully those of you still waiting for FTTH get sorted soon.

Glad to see you're still with us. I had feared you may have been electrocuted! Enjoy the connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Folks in Eir and Sky were the same really. Only giving prices for 150 and when you ask for more they come out with... .

"ah sure you won't need more than 150"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Rossi IRL wrote: »

"ah sure you won't need more than 150"

Hope they're not on commission

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Have you seen how FTTH is done in Spain? They literally hang the cable, with one single fixing at the top, down the front of apartment buildings, totally loose.

The "don't drill my house" brigade here would lose it.

That (and housing density) is why it is so cheap.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Have you seen how FTTH is done in Spain? They literally hang the cable, with one single fixing at the top, down the front of apartment buildings, totally loose.

Here is a photo I took in Valencia. This is also done if the cake has to drop many storeys.

The "don't drill my house" brigade here would lose it.

That (and housing density) is why it is so cheap.

My post above, and my previous post on this particular aspect, was asking about symmetrical service, but that seems to be overlooked.

That was the import of what I posted. The costs were to show that symmetrical can be done elsewhere for much less than we are paying for our asymmetrical service.

It seems everyone concentrates on cost first rather than on quality of service.

My post above, and my previous post on this particular aspect, was asking about symmetrical service, but that seems to be overlooked.

That was the import of what I posted. The costs were to show that symmetrical can be done elsewhere for much less than we are paying for our asymmetrical service.

Some people are just all about the "deals". I've known people who'd say "I cant believe you spent €500 on that, I got this one for €200!!". Three years later I'm still on the same one and they're on their 3rd or 4th €200 bargain...

Some people are just all about the "deals". I've known people who'd say "I cant believe you spent €500 on that, I got this one for €200!!". Three years later I'm still on the same one and they're on their 3rd or 4th €200 bargain...

Ah sure .. but they got a new one every year :) .... some people just like the hassle. Never mind that.

/M

It goes the other way too. I've bought many a well researched and considered bargain that has been superior, with far greater longevity, to far more expensive alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

My post was about costs and hence, prices.

cnocbui wrote: »
    It goes the other way too. I've bought many a well researched and considered bargain that has been superior, with far greater longevity, to far more expensive alternatives.

Totally agree. But some people don't like to research!

• Advertisement

Count your blessings. We could have been like Australia and got an imbecile of a communications minister (later an imbecile of a Prime Minister) who threw out the oppositions plan for fiber to the home and replaced it tin cans and string, condemning the next 2 generations of an entire country to third world internet connections. Read here and weep with relief:

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/nbn/nbn-speeds-explained#fixed
    $ 99 per month
    for 24 months
    Min cost $2,475
    (inc. $99 connection charge for new customers)
    That's the top tier!

That's €61.50 for 40 mbps and generous monthly allowance of 100 GB per month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement