Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

cnocbui wrote: »
    That's the top tier!

That's €61.50 for 40 mbps and generous monthly allowance of 100 GB per month.

Ah here .. the NBN has been the worst roll-out in history. If you think the NBP here was a sh!t-show you should follow some of the disaster that is going on down there.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Count your blessings. We could have been like Australia and got an imbecile of a communications minister (later an imbecile of a Prime Minister) who threw out the oppositions plan for fiber to the home and replaced it tin cans and string, condemning the next 2 generations of an entire country to third world internet connections. Read here and weep with relief:

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/nbn/nbn-speeds-explained#fixed

That's the top tier!

Oz has always had tiny caps, previously due to the country having less bandwidth (subsea) than an Irish university, but their cable situation is much improved now. Still 100GB caps though!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Marlow wrote: »
    Ah here .. the NBN has been the worst roll-out in history. If you think the NBP here was a sh!t-show you should follow some of the disaster that is going on down there.

/M

You are being too kind.

The poor sods are ending up with copper that will have cost more than Gbps fibre would have. All thanks to the myopic stupidity of Malcom bl00dy Turnbull.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Count your blessings. We could have been like Australia and got an imbecile of a communications minister (later an imbecile of a Prime Minister) who threw out the oppositions plan for fiber to the home and replaced it tin cans and string, condemning the next 2 generations of an entire country to third world internet connections. Read here and weep with relief:

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/nbn/nbn-speeds-explained#fixed

That's the top tier!

That is approx what I was paying for phone (no calls) and 5Mb/s broadband up to recently. ;)

I was tracking that disaster from its very earliest conception ........ which was a good, if costly one.
    What they messed about with subsequently was as near criminal as one can get without gaol time IMO.

I gave up on it a couple of years back when my mate in Aus expired suddenly.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Guys, apologies in advance. I know this has been discussed before but I am still confused.

Have FTTH 300mb using F2000.

F2000 not delivering satisfactory consistent WiFi and also some issues on wired connection to smart TV for streaming.

I appreciate that issues may not solely be fault of ISP F2000 but suspect it is a factor.

We have a large household with 6 users minimum that can increase to 10-15 when teenage visitors in house. We have a great 300mb connection but I don’t feel that router/WiFi is delivering what it should.

I am happy to spend some money on an F2000 replacement but despite efforts I’m still at a loss on what to go for/what is compatible. E.g am I after a WiFi modem router or just a router to replace F2000.

I’d like to avail of mesh technology (I know friztbox do this). But how about top end netgear e.g NETGEAR R9000 Nighthawk X10 Tri-Band AD7200 (7.2 Gbps) Smart Wi-Fi Router - Alexa enabled https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M3Z2YA6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9UY0Bb2PHWQQA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Guys, apologies in advance. I know this has been discussed before but I am still confused.

Have FTTH 300mb using F2000.

F2000 not delivering satisfactory consistent WiFi and also some issues on wired connection to smart TV for streaming.

I appreciate that issues may not solely be fault of ISP F2000 but suspect it is a factor.

We have a large household with 6 users minimum that can increase to 10-15 when teenage visitors in house. We have a great 300mb connection but I don’t feel that router/WiFi is delivering what it should.

I am happy to spend some money on an F2000 replacement but despite efforts I’m still at a loss on what to go for/what is compatible. E.g am I after a WiFi modem router or just a router to replace F2000.

I’d like to avail of mesh technology (I know friztbox do this). But how about top end netgear e.g NETGEAR R9000 Nighthawk X10 Tri-Band AD7200 (7.2 Gbps) Smart Wi-Fi Router - Alexa enabled https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M3Z2YA6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9UY0Bb2PHWQQA

Do you have a phone package and if so is it VoIP or traditional copper?

Do you have a phone package and if so is it VoIP or traditional copper?

Hi Navi, it’s copper and only used for alarm signal. I guess I should allow for VoIP with any new device.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

£400 gets you very very little more than £200 does. I dont know that I'd bother with it.
    some issues on wired connection to smart TV for streaming.

The F2000 should be PERFECT fully wired so can you describe this a bit more?

For most homes that are going FTTH, especially with over 15 clients, you're probably best getting two really solid APs and then killing the F2000s own wifi if required.

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Hi Navi, it’s copper and only used for alarm signal. I guess I should allow for VoIP with any new device.

It was more of a case if you had VoIP and you replaced the router you would lose the phone service. This is not an issue with a copper landline.

I know guys like m99T, tuxy and maybe others have used Ubiquiti access points with good results. They seem to get universal good reviews. You would connect the access point to a LAN port on the F2000 (WiFi off)and locate the AP somewhere centrally and it should provide good WiFi coverage for your home. They should be able to give you more advice about them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ime_c_1_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ubiquiti+access+point&sprefix=ubiquiti+acc%2Caps%2C152&crid=3V6PZAV4BC2VL&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aubiquiti+access+point

I'm not really up to date on routers but if you are buying one make sure it can tag VLAN on it's WAN interface otherwise it will not connect.

ED E wrote: »
    £400 gets you very very little more than £200 does. I dont know that I'd bother with it.

The F2000 should be PERFECT fully wired so can you describe this a bit more?

For most homes that are going FTTH, especially with over 15 clients, you're probably best getting two really solid APs and then killing the F2000s own wifi if required.

Thanks Ed. I was thinks more €200 than €400 so that’s good!

Ref TV. Low end LG 4K Smart TV. Slow loading Netflix Prime Video. Got message on Prime last night that I do not have enough bandwidth :)

Internet Ethernet feed from ‘modem’ to TV is via a switch but normal speed on output side of switch. This could be crappy apps on LG TV. May need to switch to a Roku device or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Chromecast for days.

Pair of these are rock solid, one up one down / one either end for dormers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

When I start discussing routers and wifi on this thread and not FTTH issue I get told by others its 'off-topic' and to go on the networking and routers thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

ED E wrote: »
    Chromecast for days.

Pair of these are rock solid, one up one down / one either end for dormers.

Sweet, I've just ordered a new switch with a few PoE ports. Had briefly looks around for good APs with PoE. These might do the job.

chris_ie wrote: »
    Sweet, I've just ordered a new switch with a few PoE ports. Had briefly looks around for good APs with PoE. These might do the job.

You have to be massively picky with any type of PoE switch. I wouldn't trust an AP to deliver enough current on the PoE ports.

Example: there are only 4 Mikrotik devices currently, that can be trusted for PoE delivery:
    the CRS328-24P-4S+RM, CRS112-8P-4S-IN, HEX POE and the PowerBox Pro. All other units are an older generation, that just don't deliver enough current to devices.

Netonix make good PoE switches, but expensive.

Cisco is well spec'd, but then can't feed 24V devices.

Ubiquity ToughSwitch ... i'm not gone on it, TBH. Seen weird issues with links dropping.

Anything else tends to be for the bin. TP-Link make some cheap and cheerful 8 port switches, that have 4 PoE ports, but they aren't managed .. so meh !

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

My UAP-AC-LR has been solid connected to a Ubiquiti poe switch. It draws under 4 watts.

Won't the access point work well with any poe switch that supports 802.3af?

I also have a UAP-AC-LITE but I'm not sure how muc power that draws as I have it connected to with a poe passive injector but I imagine it's close to 4 watts also.

Great access points and I do notice the slightly extra range 2.4Ghz with the LR, the lite version is probably the best to go for in a home setting if you're buying more than one. Probably a waste of money paying for the LR in that setting.

tuxy wrote: »
    My UAP-AC-LR has been solid connected to a Ubiquiti poe switch. It draws under 4 watts.

Won't the access point work well with any poe switch that supports 802.3af?

That should generally be no issue at that consumption. I've some stuff that draws 50W on PoE :) Other things at 30W. Most of it is like 5-15W.

/M

So powering a switch that is powering other devices is tricky isn't it?
    The Ubiquity switch I have does not support that, it has to be plugged into the wall to power other devices. It's rated up to 60 watts but you can buy a 150 watt model.

Whatever switch chris_ie has ordered should be good to power way more APs than he needs once the switch is connected to it's own power supply.

Well,

OpenEIR have now removed the FTTH and FTTC logos of the supplier list. Well, I can see that becoming a mess:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I had initially just wanted a normal switch but planned on installing a few cameras at some point so figured I'd go with one with a few PoE connections. It will be on its own power supply. I could run a power cable to the AP aswell if really needed but PoE would be much neater.

It should work well with POE once you get the cameras up and running as the access points use such a tiny amount of power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Marlow wrote: »
    Well,

OpenEIR have now removed the FTTH and FTTC logos of the supplier list. Well, I can see that becoming a mess:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M
    What do you mean? See them all there

Since when did this thread become all about routers blah blah

fritzelly wrote: »
    What do you mean? See them all there

Since when did this thread become all about routers blah blah

They are missing for me also. They also have gotten rid of the explanations for the different icons so it seems deliberate.

Yup gone. Maybe enough people realised there are other ISPs offering this service. It's a common misconception from people posting in the talk to Eir section of boards.

I'd say it's just a lazy approach similar to not updating the map.

There was a few in there that are offering FTTH but only listed as FTTC .. still some providers missing completely.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Is there any website out there which lists all the providers of FTTH from the Openeir network?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Is there any website out there which lists all the providers of FTTH from the Openeir network?

There is a need for an impartial list. Maybe a sticky?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There were a few offcuts from my install. I broke out the macro lens and thought someone might be interested to see what is doing the job:
    Fibre-cable.jpg

There are some other inner protective sleeves I have excluded. The fibre is tiny in diameter. It's the clear glass bit at the end of the yellow strand. The black outer protective jacket contains two embeded strands of what I take to be Dyneema - a very high molecular weight plastic with a very low modulus of elasticity and a tensile strength higher than carbon fiber and many times that of steel, by weight. It's also is very light and will float in water.

The cable also contains a great shank of kevlar fibre for tensile strength protection. Despite that, I am anticipating a prolonged and complete loss of service when we next get a significant storm as these cables are strung so tight you would think they were using them to support the poles. When the poles start thrashing about in a gale... fingers crossed.

9726_9726 wrote: »

Excellent idea. The list on the Comreg site is useless - even worse than Eir's.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Excellent idea. The list on the Comreg site is useless - even worse than Eir's.

http://irelandoffline.org/ is probably the best place, where something like that would be placed.

They already have an excellent broadband map: http://irelandoffline.org/map/#!/map

So it might be worth engaging them and see, if they're interested in hosting an impartial list of irish providers including a proper tagging of what services they host.

/M

• Advertisement

For the past few weeks, the Airwire Eircode checker says that I will have FTTH available on 7th November.

Up to now, the Eir Eircode checker was saying that only FTTC was available (which is what I have). Lo and behold, I checked the Eir Eircode checker this morning and it says that FTTH is available NOW!

However, when I check the Eir site using my telephone number, it says only FTTC is available.

What's a man to believe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement