Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Alangers wrote: »
    engineer said the DP outside my house and the one down the road have the same ID numbers

That right there is an issue. If you PM me your Eircode, I can have a looksie, what it should be for your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

TLDR: Does anyone know of a way or a source to check to get more specific updates on the rural 300k programme, progress & possible live dates etc?

For our location in Galway the firbrerollout.ie site says "We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the first half of 2018." In people's experience, how accurate is that likely to be, like could I be confident that it'd be available before the end of June?

I'm particularly interested as if I know, then it might stop me from signing up to an 18 month mobile broadband contract with 3...... will be looking for some kind of broadband in a new address at the beginning of May

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

tobdom wrote: »
    For our location in Galway the firbrerollout.ie site says "We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the first half of 2018." In people's experience, how accurate is that likely to be, like could I be confident that it'd be available before the end of June?

I'm particularly interested as if I know, then it might stop me from signing up to an 18 month mobile broadband contract with 3...... will be looking for some kind of broadband in a new address at the beginning of May

There are no accurate dates until OpenEIR releases the actual dates to the providers. And that only happens within a month previous to the address going live. Up until then, it's guesswork at best.

For our customers, who are on fixed wireless, we offer to migrate them to FTTH, as it becomes available (if they wish so). So if your location is covered by us, that's an option.

Other providers don't necessarily have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

According to the fibrerollout.ie and the DCCAE map and the eir website my eircode is enabled for Fibre (I assume FTTH? or FTTC?), but Eir are telling me it's not available? Anyone else run into issues like this recently?

I've searched this thread and it seems like one or two others resolved this by going to a different provider and just paying the installation fee.

On the eir website if I put in my phone number it says fibre is not enabled, are they using 2 lookup systems or something? And only showing the old DSL speeds if using the phone number?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

According to the fibrerollout.ie and the DCCAE map and the eir website my eircode is enabled for Fibre (I assume FTTH? or FTTC?)

Green area or house logo ?

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Green area or house logo ?

/M

House logo.

Thanks for the help

House logo.

Thanks for the help

House logo means, that you're enabled. Have you got a phone line and tried to order using the phone number ?

While FTTH works of Eircodes, OpenEIR internally still use their own geo-addressing. So if they for example have 2 address keys tied to your eircode and only one of them is FTTH-enabled, then the order fails in most cases ...

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    House logo means, that you're enabled. Have you got a phone line and tried to order using the phone number ?

While FTTH works of Eircodes, OpenEIR internally still use their own geo-addressing. So if they for example have 2 address keys tied to your eircode and only one of them is FTTH-enabled, then the order fails in most cases ...

/M

I haven't tried to order with Eir, I just rang up enquiring about it due to the mismatch on the website and they just said something along the lines of "that's incorrect, it's a mistake on the website" and I never went any further. But that was probably with tech support rather than sales, should I chance sales with just the eircode?

On the addressing, all other houses along the road are enabled and the line continues for another 1km+ approx.

EDIT: Yes I do have a phone line, with Eir at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

at that stage where all the work on the poles have been done ....boxes up after weeks of work in the area ...now ...nothing ....the wait ....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Vego wrote: »
    at that stage where all the work on the poles have been done ....boxes up after weeks of work in the area ...now ...nothing ....the wait ....

Still all the work at the exchange to be done now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

House logo.

Thanks for the help

It’s possible that the wrong eircode is attached to your phone number. This could lead to the circumstance you’re describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

fritzelly wrote: »
    Still all the work at the exchange to be done now...

Indeed .....I cant wait this is like a kid waiting for christmas day :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I spotted a fellow in an Eir van yesterday, going from pole to pole in my area. Asked him if FTTH was far away and he said that he was doing a survey of the poles, to decide if any of them needed changing, prior to installing FTTH.

FTTH is many months away, I suspect. Still, it's a tentative start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Yeh youve a good wait ahead, the poles were replaced in January in my area and no work done since then

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Poles replaced up my road a month or so back, some big reels of cable started appearing shortly afterwards and then all went quiet.

I'm supposed to be first half of 2018 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Poles were surveyed here early last year, and nothing done since ..... neither poles replaced nor poles stripped of vegetation/ivy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Around my area it was about 14 months between pole survey and area going live for FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Eir is due to go live in my area at the end of April.
    My house was only recently built and was still a green field site when the original FTTH map was made up.
    Both my neighbours have been able to order FTTH and get install date (literally right next door). I have been advised by two eir agents that because my house wasn't initially selected and my eircode doesn't show on their site that I can't order it until the next time they pick addresses which will be next year at earliest.
    Anyone come across this problem or know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Get neighbours eircodes and speak to a competent rep to get you added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

daddy pig wrote: »
    Eir is due to go live in my area at the end of April.
    My house was only recently built and was still a green field site when the original FTTH map was made up.
    Both my neighbours have been able to order FTTH and get install date (literally right next door). I have been advised by two eir agents that because my house wasn't initially selected and my eircode doesn't show on their site that I can't order it until the next time they pick addresses which will be next year at earliest.
    Anyone come across this problem or know what to do

Email fibrepower@openeir.ie explaining your situation. Give as much detail as possible, your Eircode, Eircodes of premises on each side of you that are able to order. Ask for your home to be added to the APQ file that is sent to retail ISPs. There is no guarantee that they will help you but it is worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'm now in limbo over my install - there is plant/ducting work that needs to be fixed as they discovered no light at the DP/pole. I await a phone call in the coming weeks/months/year with no ETA of a fix. Boo hiss

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Poles
    Poles

Please leave the poor polish people in peace :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

I'm looking for some advice.
    I have a contract with EiR for Fibre broadband. 300Mb.
    I rarely get more than 200Mb....this morning I'm getting 170.
    Eir "support" told me that if I have a light then they are not interested in helping me
    Can anyone advice what I should do....is there any way of measuring speed at Eir terminal in house rather than via computer?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

How are you connecting to the router. Best to use an ethernet cable straight to the router, as long as the pc has gigabit ethernet. Are you connecting my wifi, is it ac?

Cat 5 cable 2 metres from Asus AC88 router....

garroff wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice.
    I have a contract with EiR for Fibre broadband. 300Mb.
    I rarely get more than 200Mb....this morning I'm getting 170.
    Eir "support" told me that if I have a light then they are not interested in helping me
    Can anyone advice what I should do....is there any way of measuring speed at Eir terminal in house rather than via computer?
    Thanks

Have you confirmed the speeds with the original F2000 router? Have you tried more than one computer by cable? Have you tried different cables?

As far as I know there is no way of measuring speed from the ONT, it only gives dBm power values for the light.

Tested with Eir router and with different cables. Did not check with different computer.

Previous check never gave 250Mb

Speed now 158Mbps....and for that I paid €86 yesterday.......NOT up to €86....an exact €86....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Computer model/spec?

• Advertisement

Tested with Eir router and with different cables. Did not check with different computer.

Previous check never gave 250Mb

I'd try another computer if you have one available just to rule out any issue with the original. The max you'll ever see on an eir 300Mb line is around 285Mb.
    Speed now 158Mbps....and for that I paid €86 yesterday.......NOT up to €86....an exact €86....

Out of interest are you out of contract? I'm paying €69 for 300Mb plus calls over VoBB but I'm still within the original 12 month contract. If you are out of contract and not happy with the support you are receiving then I'd move to another supplier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement