Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

cnocbui wrote: »
    13/08/2018 AOOME(?) 1XG657A OPENEIR 06358M

That's as near as I can make out on the abraded bit I have to hand. I can pop up into the loft for a look at a hopefully more pristine sample if that doesn't seem right.

That seems to be the same stuff that is in my duct at least judging by the number. The last digit is length in metres from the start of the roll I think.
    The design is a circular core with two square pieces underneath. Didn't realise the fibre was in the middle as shown.
    https://www.ssd.ru/kabel-abonentskiy-ok-sms-t-m-ng-a-1xg657a-600n-ssd

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

MBSnr wrote: »
    That seems to be the same stuff that is in my duct at least judging by the number. The last digit is length in metres from the start of the roll I think.
    The design is a circular core with two square pieces underneath. Didn't realise the fibre was in the middle as shown.
    https://www.ssd.ru/kabel-abonentskiy-ok-sms-t-m-ng-a-1xg657a-600n-ssd

No, it's just circular:
    Fibre-cable-2.jpg

Polypropylene outer with two embedded strands of Dynema; Kevlar fibre tension/reinforcing; white plastic inner sleeve; more kevlar fibre; blue plastic inner sleeve; yellow coating on low refractive index transparent jacket; glass fibre.

You could probably fit several hundred of the actual fibres inside the outer jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

13/08/2018 AOOME(?) 1XG657A OPENEIR 06358M

That's as near as I can make out on the abraded bit I have to hand. I can pop up into the loft for a look at a hopefully more pristine sample if that doesn't seem right.

Thanks cnocbui. It Acome. They are the French manufacturer that makes the distribution cable that is used on the poles. From your description it seems this cable is
    model UNB1629 or UNB1630 branch cable.

http://www.acome.fr/en/The-Group/Products-and-Systems/Optical-FTTH-access-network/Aerial/Aerial

I wonder why they went with the 3M cable in the beginning when they were using Acome cables for distribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

No, it's just circular:
    Fibre-cable-2.jpg

Polypropylene outer with two embedded strands of Dynema; Kevlar fibre tension/reinforcing; white plastic inner sleeve; more kevlar fibre; blue plastic inner sleeve; yellow coating on low refractive index transparent jacket; glass fibre.

You could probably fit several hundred of the actual fibres inside the outer jacket.

So is yours the one they are now using for all installs? I do think the cable on mine is very flimsy between the poles....

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

MBSnr wrote: »
    So is yours the one they are now using for all installs? I do think the cable on mine is very flimsy between the poles....

This is the one there using now. For both oh and ug The one on a before picture was an older type
    I liked the older type it was easier to carry and manipulate around bends. There were two fibres inside only one is used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Did I hear right on the radio news today that rural broadband rollout is shelving and has been put back to 2020 something and concentrating on urban broadband? - I hope they finish off our FTTH thats not live yet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

UNB1629 would seem to be it, as there is a single fibre at the core.

Did I hear right on the radio news today that rural broadband rollout is shelving and has been put back to 2020 something and concentrating on urban broadband? - I hope they finish off our FTTH thats not live yet

It has nothing to do with the 300000 premises that eir has committed to of which you are one.

UNB1629 would seem to be it, as there is a single fibre at the core.

1629 or 1630 can both be one or two strand fibre cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

It has nothing to do with the 300000 premises that eir has committed to of which you are one.
    We hope.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Don't be causing the guy to fret :pac:

If I don't get the facility to order ftth before the end of November then someone will die! :) and it won't be a painless death either

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone can advise me on this. Fibre broadband stops less then 400m from my home but does not pass it. Is there anyway that we can have fibre installed or is it a case of waiting for the governments rural broadband plan to make up the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the NBP.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Thanks Martin.

Now when I put in my eircode on your checker I am getting available 1/12/18 - do you need to double check the info and ammed like before , or is that the info you have received from OpenEir and should be correct?

Does that also mean thats the earliest I can place an order for FTTH ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

If I don't get the facility to order ftth before the end of November then someone will die! :) and it won't be a painless death either
    Thanks Martin.

Now when I put in my eircode on your checker I am getting available 1/12/18 - do you need to double check the info and ammed like before , or is that the info you have received from OpenEir and should be correct?

Does that also mean thats the earliest I can place an order for FTTH ?

thanks

Run lads!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Tdo you need to double check the info and ammed like before

As stated before, we never amend the data we get from OpenEIR. We just optimize them and present them in a much more readable format.

The date stated is when OpenEIR anticipates to have the exchange ready. Some providers will take your order before that, but they can't order with OpenEIR until the exchange is live for FTTH.

just wondering (have to wonder because I havent got FTTH installed yet) - but if you took the ethernet cable out of ONT and put it into LAN socket of laptop or computer can you just get on internet with it? - or does it have to go into the router and then link up PC to one of the 4 LAN sockets? (or wirelessly of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In most cases yes, but its not normally considered a good idea with Windows boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Only, if you are able to configure Vlan tagging on the laptop/computer in question. You asked a similar question before in this thread and it was answered then.

Doesn't work without Vlan tagging. Applies both to routers and computers. Any device you hook up directly to the ONT will have to be able to tag with Vlan 10 ... otherwise no go.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Only, if you are able to configure Vlan tagging on the laptop/computer in question. You asked a similar question before in this thread and it was answered then.

Doesn't work without Vlan tagging. Applies both to routers and computers. Any device you hook up directly to the ONT will have to be able to tag with Vlan 10 ... otherwise no go.

/M

ah right thank - now I shall have to read up on how to enable vlan tagging on windows laptop then , brush up a bit.

yeah , sorry about that - I thought I was just asking about routers then , but didnt realise you had to configure laptop with vlan tagging to work by just taking the lead that comes out of the ONT

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

just wondering (have to wonder because I havent got FTTH installed yet) - but if you took the ethernet cable out of ONT and put it into LAN socket of laptop or computer can you just get on internet with it?

Why would you want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Why would you want to?

I'm wondering myself as i think it's came up a few times now

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Why would you want to?

i dont - was just wondering if you could

anyway its useful in the future if you had a problem and you suspected it was a router problem to take the ethernet wire from the ONT and put it straight into laptop and check the speed etc

re setting the VLAN ID - I had to download a dignostic programme from realtek for my LAN card to set the ID ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

I feel sorry for the FTTH users in Sligo, as they are going to experience a lot of downtime on their network after the 1st of December.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

BandMember wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the FTTH users in Sligo, as they are going to experience a lot of downtime on their network after the 1st of December.....

:pac::pac::pac:

BandMember wrote: »

there not - im not going to do anything , im just intrigued - anyway, what kind of system is that in place if a person can unplug a ethernet cable from the ONT , plug it into their laptop and affect the rest of the neighbourhood - sounds a load of bullocks to me - it should be isolated .

If you had a phone line and took out the phone out of the master socket and put another phone in its place or a fax machine or whatever you dont affect the quality of your neighbours phone line ... i should imagine its the same with fibre all your affecting is your own premises no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It

Was

A

Joke

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement