Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ED E wrote: »
    It

Was

A

Joke

what

Was

A

Joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

what

Was

A

Joke?

Sometimes there's great benefit to culchies not been able to access public networks...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Fibre sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I think I'm going to start selling Popcorn here.. should make a killing with that.

/M

If off topic I will remove put up for anyone who wanted to see what goes on in black boxes

• Advertisement

If off topic I will remove put up for anyone who wanted to see what goes on in black boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

babi-hrse wrote: »

Thanks. It's certainly more on topic than some other things. I presume that is for customer drops? I believe the exchange facing connections are fusion spliced.

Thanks. It's certainly more on topic than some other things. I presume that is for customer drops? I believe the exchange facing connections are fusion spliced.

Customer drop cable

I believe the exchange facing connections are fusion spliced.

I think so at the dp it's just made off like the customer drop end and a coupler is used but before that and in the splitter boxes I'd say so it's not stuff I open. Think all that is done by a company called diffusion

I think so at the dp it's just made off like the customer drop end and a coupler is used but before that and in the splitter boxes I'd say so it's not stuff I open. Think all that is done by a company called diffusion

ah yes , i remember the diffusion utility vans all round my area in june and i was thinking it unusual that they werent using kn networks

• Advertisement

ah yes , i remember the diffusion utility vans all round my area in june and i was thinking it unusual that they werent using kn networks

Lots of different companies being used for that sort of infrastructure work. OpenEIR typically use KN or Diffusion, but also others.

SIRO use TLI, KN, Actavo, Huawei, Diffusion and a few others.

/M

If one wanted to run a fibre cable into their home to a preferred location one could get this lead on amazon along with the coupler.
    End external run of fibre at etu and connect to internal run using coupler. Electrical tape the thing airtight.
    Food for thought for those who don't want to have ont on wall in sitting room. Course driving a nail in the wrong place in the years to come will give a major headache

If one wanted to run a fibre cable into their home to a preferred location one could get this lead on amazon along with the coupler.
    End external run of fibre at etu and connect to internal run using coupler. Electrical tape the thing airtight.
    Food for thought for those who don't want to have ont on wall in sitting room. Course driving a nail in the wrong place in the years to come will give a major headache

The cable you posted is wrong. It needs APC connectors, otherwise you may damage the fiber optical transceivers either end.

Basically .. make sure, they're the green connectors and you should be sound. Nearly all GPON solutions use APC style transmission.

/M

thats handy - when i have my FTTH finally installed the odp will be in a bedroom and my router at the moment is in a hall - I could use that cable to link the odp to the ONT and router in the hall (if i dont affect everybody else's FTTH in the neighborhood that is of course ;) )

if i dont affect everybody else's FTTH in the neighborhood that is of course ;)

You do, if you get a cable with the wrong type connectors.

/M

My bad
    The site sold both types I sent a screenshot of the fact that it can come in pre ordered lenght up to 30m wouldn't want to have someone wiring the wrong cable about.
    But what is the key difference. Does the wrong cable bounce light back to the network like some kind of optical collision issue? My understanding of it wanes outside of what it's supposed to read and what it's threshold it's not to pass below. I understand the light bounces sideways up the cable reflecting inwards rather than a straight beam.
    The frequency it gets tested at is 1500nm networks is an area I'm fascinated by.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

This new, stronger cable that Openeir are installing for overhead installations to premises - is a duct with a 15 mm internal diameter adequate?

My supply will be coming from a pole on the road to a pole on my site, and from there, through the fascia and attic and down into a room. I have that duct installed in the attic (about 7 metres long and fitted with a light rope), in anticipation of a service connection in the next few weeks.

The duct is a flexible black thing, ribbed on the outside and quite smooth inside - I don't know the trade name for it.

My bad
    The site sold both types I sent a screenshot of the fact that it can come in pre ordered lenght up to 30m wouldn't want to have someone wiring the wrong cable about.
    But what is the key difference. Does the wrong cable bounce light back to the network like some kind of optical collision issue? My understanding of it wanes outside of what it's supposed to read and what it's threshold it's not to pass below. I understand the light bounces sideways up the cable reflecting inwards rather than a straight beam.
    The frequency it gets tested at is 1500nm networks is an area I'm fascinated by.

It's two different connector types. You'd likely break the ONT trying to fit the wrong type. They are colour coded for a reason.

Poulgorm wrote: »
    This new, stronger cable that Openeir are installing for overhead installations to premises - is a duct with a 15 mm internal diameter adequate?

My supply will be coming from a pole on the road to a pole on my site, and from there, through the fascia and attic and down into a room. I have that duct installed in the attic (about 7 metres long and fitted with a light rope), in anticipation of a service connection in the next few weeks.

The duct is a flexible black thing, ribbed on the outside and quite smooth inside - I don't know the trade name for it.

Should be. The cable diameter seems to be 6.9mm max.

Poulgorm wrote: »

I would not say so. The problem is the fibreglass rods are 7mm trying to attach another 6mm to a rod is not really feasible. A pipe that narrow a rod is likely to wedge itself at the first bend that goes more than 30degrees and that's the tech not being able to get it down the duct and packing up and moving on.
    I'm not trying to be cold but you'll feel alot more annoyed when you take the day off and 25minutes later when the rod won't go through you get told you have work to do on your property.
    Main area of fails on a site is usually the dogleg right at the etu (white box below ESB meter outside modern houses). It's frustrating because you can hear it clacking but stuck at 2 feet is still stuck. I would try to get a wider duct or run a new one. As mentioned previously you can run a duct along a hedge as long as you tie it back. Leave enough duct to be clamped to the pole to a height of 1meter. A drawstring never fails. For ducts more than 50meters leave exposed points for intervention as the rods are only 60m long. A 200m duct with only a start and an end with no rope in is useless as there's no getting the fibre to the other end.
    However if your talking a short duct yeah in house that's narrow yeah one can push the fibre up it and provided there's nowhere for it to curl around it'll pipe all the way up.

I'm not sure if you're talking a duct underground or duct through the attic

• Advertisement

I would not say so. The problem is the fibreglass rods are 7mm trying to attach another 6mm to a rod is not really feasible. A pipe that narrow a rod is likely to wedge itself at the first bend that goes more than 30degrees and that's the tech not being able to get it down the duct and packing up and moving on.
    I'm not trying to be cold but you'll feel alot more annoyed when you take the day off and 25minutes later when the rod won't go through you get told you have work to do on your property.
    Main area of fails on a site is usually the dogleg right at the etu (white box below ESB meter outside modern houses). It's frustrating because you can hear it clacking but stuck at 2 feet is still stuck. I would try to get a wider duct or run a new one. As mentioned previously you can run a duct along a hedge as long as you tie it back. Leave enough duct to be clamped to the pole to a height of 1meter. A drawstring never fails. For ducts more than 50meters leave exposed points for intervention as the rods are only 60m long. A 200m duct with only a start and an end with no rope in is useless as there's no getting the fibre to the other end.

It's coming from a pole to fascia, then into a duct WITH ROPE in the attic. Why you are talking about rods and ETUs I don't know.

Sorry just reread what you posted pole to soffit and fascia and up a pipe into attic. Yeah you shouldnt have any issues with that. Provided you don't have any 90 degree turning points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Question regarding bending... The duct from the road comes up into ETU. There is then a small conduit (horizontal) from there into the sitting room where there was a phone socket. So that's where the fiber would enter the house. Sockets right beside it so no issue there. But from the duct to the conduit would be 90 degrees, not tight but still. The bend could be lessened by having it loop. Does this cause problems or is something else installed in the etu?

chris_ie wrote: »
    Question regarding bending... The duct from the road comes up into ETU. There is then a small conduit (horizontal) from there into the sitting room where there was a phone socket. So that's where the fiber would enter the house. Sockets right beside it so no issue there. But from the duct to the conduit would be 90 degrees, not tight but still. The bend could be lessened by having it loop. Does this cause problems or is something else installed in the etu?

90 degrees depends on how much room you have. Have a rope in it ... that's for sure.

/M

I assume the duct from the road and the horizontal conduit are not joined. If so it's just a matter if having a curve on the cable to get from one to the other. There is nothing else to be installed in the ETU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I assume the duct from the road and the horizontal conduit are not joined. If so it's just a matter if having a curve on the cable to get from one to the other. There is nothing else to be installed in the ETU.

No, they're not joined. Bit of room curve it.

Marlow wrote: »
    90 degrees depends on how much room you have. Have a rope in it ... that's for sure.

/M

Have a rope in it? If you mean for pulling the fiber through, I can't access the other end of the duct under the road.

Have a rope in it? If you mean for pulling the fiber through, I can't access the other end of the duct under the road.

Let the installer do their job. Don't worry about it.

Let the installer do their job. Don't worry about it.

And if he doesn't succeed ... negotiate "options" for not getting into bother in regards to access to fix his job :) ...

Generally .. thumbs pressed . ... and pray .. and you'll be alright.. a lot of the KN guys are dead sound if you don't rub them the wrong way.

At the end of the day .. they don't get paid unless they complete the job.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

anyway its useful in the future if you had a problem and you suspected it was a router problem to take the ethernet wire from the ONT and put it straight into laptop and check the speed etc

re setting the VLAN ID - I had to download a dignostic programme from realtek for my LAN card to set the ID ...

If it did work, you'd effectively be putting your Windows pc directly on the internet (with a public ip) without the benefit of any port blocking from the firewall provided by the router.

Not something I'd do....

• Advertisement

MBSnr wrote: »
    If it did work, you'd effectively be putting your Windows pc directly on the internet (with a public ip) without the benefit of any port blocking from the firewall provided by the router.

Not something I'd do....

It'll last about 30 seconds ... and then he'll require a re-install :) Sure .. it'll be fun for sh*t and giggles.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement