Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »
    It'll last about 30 seconds ... and then he'll require a re-install :) Sure .. it'll be fun for sh*t and giggles.

/M

i use the firewall in my antivirus package :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

i use the firewall in my antivirus package :P

That's as useful as a rubber-duck in the Sahara.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Excuse my ignorance here, but anyway. I've noticed these
    20181031-115746.jpg
    have started appearing on Poles on my road, along with sporadic sightings of KN vans. That box is about 25 yards from my front door. I'm assuming they are connected to the fibre installation process?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

blueser wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance here, but anyway. I've noticed these
    20181031-115746.jpg
    have started appearing on Poles on my road, along with sporadic sightings of KN vans. That box is about 25 yards from my front door. I'm assuming they are connected to the fibre installation process?

They'll be your FTTH distribution points ... get ready for fibre :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Robxxx7 wrote: »

Available at some point in time...

fritzelly wrote: »
    Available at some point in time...
    I've been told the next 6-8 weeks.

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes that black box usually serves 4 homes. The a fibre line will come from it either overhead or through a duct if your house has a duct.
    6 to 8 weeks is realistic once you see them in place but of course there can be unexpected delays at the exchange or somewhere else along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hcvti

There has been one of those outside my mothers house for a long while(over a year) now, and still between 2-3meg is all that is being got there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

hcvti wrote: »
    There has been one of those outside my mothers house for a long while(over a year) now, and still between 2-3meg is all that is being got there.

Have you checked online to see if fibre is available for her house now? The speed doesn't improve just because of the box on the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hcvti

Yes, I know they dont inform you in a timely manner that fiber is available, however I have checked multiple times within the last year, as my own house is 2.5 miles closer to a large town and neither post code/telephone number meets the criteria. 
    6mb available....bla....bla..... and it is 4.5meg at my place and 2-3meg at hers.
    Cheers.

I was asking because 12 months to have the boxes on the pole seems quite long. Mine were on the pole 4 months before fibre became available and I think that was with a delay of them finding blocked conduits in the village that required fixing first.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

hcvti wrote: »

If there is a box like that and there are houses enabled within a mile or 2 from you, then it's possible, that it is a documentation issue with OpenEIR.

We get quite a few of these and it generally can be sorted.

We would need a picture of the DP/pole in relation to the house, DP number and eircode for them to get it listed. A phone number can be helpful to index the property correctly.

Obviously we will only do that work, if it's ordered with us. But other providers can do that, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes that black box usually serves 4 homes. The a fibre line will come from it either overhead or through a duct if your house has a duct.
    6 to 8 weeks is realistic once you see them in place but of course there can be unexpected delays at the exchange or somewhere else along the line.

Anything really can lead to a long delay in installation. My area went live Aug 18. After 3 attempts mine is delayed due to a blocked duct from pole to undergroungd chamber prob 6 ft away which is outside a neighbors house.
    That has led to a deadline date for Dec 4 to fix the duct. A small little job made into a major one. Planning, road traffic management plan, risk accessment and so on.
    I'll be lucky to have it by next spring.

codie wrote: »
    Anything really can lead to a long delay in installation. My area went live Aug 18. After 3 attempts mine is delayed due to a blocked duct from pole to undergroungd chamber prob 6 ft away which is outside a neighbors house.
    That has led to a deadline date for Dec 4 to fix the duct. A small little job made into a major one. Planning, road traffic management plan, risk accessment and so on.
    I'll be lucky to have it by next spring.

Big difference though. Because your premise would be listed as available and it's a civils issue that then will be sorted by OpenEIR, as your order is processed.

The issue above is, where the premise hasn't even been listed as passed, even though it has been passed. Not an uncommon problem either.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

@ Airwire: MartinL

I'm currently on ADSL2 on phone line with Sky. Ducting been put in place for fibre in the last few weeks so hoping to have fibre available in the coming months.

Sky are putting their BB price up from 5th December so considering cancelling.

I wanted to ask if Airwire can offer any economically viable interim connection which could then be upgraded to fibre when it finally goes live?

i am located in the area covered by Airwire.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

iPhone. wrote: »
    I wanted to ask if Airwire can offer any economically viable interim connection which could then be upgraded to fibre when it finally goes live?

i am located in the area covered by Airwire.

When you say "area covered by Airwire", is that referring to our fixed wireless coverage ?

We have no problem with upgrading customers to a different technology, even within contract.

If you move from lets say VDSL to FTTH, it's minimum 6 months from installation before you can upgrade.

If it's FWA or Jet, then there is no problem upgrading at any given time.

What sort of speeds do you have on ADSL2 right now ? If you PM me your Eircode, I can give you more precise answer, what is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

When you say "area covered by Airwire", is that referring to our fixed wireless coverage ?

We have no problem with upgrading customers to a different technology, even within contract.

If you move from lets say VDSL to FTTH, it's minimum 6 months from installation before you can upgrade.

If it's FWA or Jet, then there is no problem upgrading at any given time.

What sort of speeds do you have on ADSL2 right now ? If you PM me your Eircode, I can give you more precise answer, what is possible.

Cheers Martin, PM sent with details.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

In reference to the picture of splice box
    There's a splice in that. See the braided wire attached to the grey clamp. The fibre cores are coming up that into the box and back down again. But the silly sods are supposed to put that above the dp not below it. That's problematic to get a ladder up to if there's a wall behind.

• Advertisement

babi-hrse wrote: »
    In reference to the picture of splice box
    There's a splice in that. See the braided wire attached to the grey clamp. The fibre cores are coming up that into the box and back down again. But the silly sods are supposed to put that above the dp not below it. That's problematic to get a ladder up to if there's a wall behind.
    If you're referring to the picture I posted, there's no wall there. A ditch and a sycamore tree is what's around that pole. They wouldn't have a problem getting a ladder or hydraulic platform up to it.

blueser wrote: »
    If you're referring to the picture I posted, there's no wall there. A ditch and a sycamore tree is what's around that pole. They wouldn't have a problem getting a ladder or hydraulic platform up to it.

No I wasn't instinuating that there was an issue it's that they should have put the fibre spans above at the highest point on the pole not lower than the dp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

babi-hrse wrote: »
    No I wasn't instinuating that there was an issue it's that they should have put the fibre spans above at the highest point on the pole not lower than the dp.

Is is obviously an unusual pole situation. The cable tensioning brackets are usually at the top of the pole with the DP underneath. For whatever reason they have had to put the DP above the brackets, probably due to lack of space.

Is is obviously an unusual pole situation. The cable tensioning brackets are usually at the top of the pole with the DP underneath. For whatever reason they have had to put the DP above the brackets, probably due to lack of space.

I question their logic sometimes.
    Ive seen an ancient pole with a dp placed on it and there was a brand new replacement pole put up. A hoist would have to be called everyone someone needs to go near it.
    Someone else told me but I haven't seen it myself of a dp being placed right up against a stay wire and it was a struggle to get the lid off due to the wire pressing against. Had to start rocking the pole to get slack on it. That could be a tall tale but the former is true.

Speaking of unusual pole situations. Why would they have placed a pole with a DP to service empty fields?

Fibre-DP-to-nowhere.jpg

cnocbui wrote: »
    Speaking of unusual pole situations. Why would they have placed a pole with a DP to service empty fields?

Are sure ... there could be other purposes.

Maybe they want pre-empted the need to service ANPR and speed cameras.

Or they planned ahead for the first time in life and anticipated 4 houses being build in those fields.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Are sure ... there could be other purposes.

Maybe they want pre-empted the need to service ANPR and speed cameras.

Or they planned ahead for the first time in life and anticipated 4 houses being build in those fields.

/M

If there are houses to be built in those fields, they would be the first built on that road, for at least 6km in either direction, in the last 15 years at least. I very much doubt there will be. I pass regularly and don't recall ever seeing any planning notices.

Great place for a speed camera - a dead straight high quality safe piece of road that isn't a black spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My educated guess is that its not going to nowhere. Right after that pole is a big ESB pylon so the cable went underground from there to the next pole and there is a house across the road..... since you know where that pole is, is the house across the road on the fibre rollout map showing as part of the FTTH rollout?

KCross wrote: »
    My educated guess is that its not going to nowhere. Right after that pole is a big ESB pylon so the cable went underground from there to the next pole and there is a house across the road..... since you know where that pole is, is the house across the road on the fibre rollout map showing as part of the FTTH rollout?

That doesn't appear to be the case, The pole is actually inside a FTTC zone, as is the house past the pylon.

DP-Pylon-fibre.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That doesn't appear to be the case, The pole is actually inside a FTTC zone, as is the house past the pylon.

It does look like the DP is positioned to service the houses around it though, doesnt it? There are at least 5, from what I can see, houses in a radius around it and so not really going to nowhere?

I understand they are not in the initial rollout map so maybe they are just planning ahead. I also know from my own locality that the houses that are right next to the cabinet for FTTC are actually being indexed for FTTH and are showing as available on the airwire checker for FTTH.

For the two house on the top right of your pic that are in the rollout, do they have a DP outside their houses as well?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement