Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The nearest house is about 150m from the DP, as the crow flies, straight across a field - 200m following the lane. I'm pretty sure the houses marked for FTTH top right, have a nearby DP, from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tjspock

hi,how far from a dp on pole can you be to get fibre? nearly every pole on my road has a dp outside a house except mine!!! the pole closest to me with a dp is 3 poles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

tjspock wrote: »
    hi,how far from a dp on pole can you be to get fibre? nearly every pole on my road has a dp outside a house except mine!!! the pole closest to me with a dp is 3 poles away.

First check if your house is on the map here https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tjspock

house on map,just wondering why houses to the left and right of me on same road have dp on their poles and there is none on mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

house on map,just wondering why houses to the left and right of me on same road have dp on their poles and there is none on mine

The DP serves 4 houses, it would be a waste to have one on every pole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

cnocbui wrote: »
    Speaking of unusual pole situations. Why would they have placed a pole with a DP to service empty fields?

Fibre-DP-to-nowhere.jpg

It seems to be a cable joint. If you notice in the background there are no poles so what will have happened is the underground crew will have blown the cable from the exchange and then will have left a loop of cable on that pole. Then the overhead crew comes along and starts cabling at that pole leaving another loop of cable. The two loops are then fusion spliced and housed in the box. It's likely not acing as a DP at all.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It seems to be a cable joint. If you notice in the background there are no poles so what will have happened is the underground crew will have blown the cable from the exchange and then will have left a loop of cable on that pole. Then the overhead crew comes along and starts cabling at that pole leaving another loop of cable. The two loops are then fusion spliced and housed in the box. It's likely not acing as a DP at all.

^ This.

They won't run overhead fibre under any MV or HV ESB wires, and the ones in the picture are 200/400kV. It's just a junction box for the point where the overhead fibre goes into a duct.

We're used to thinking of those 3M boxes as DPs, but they're really just generic splice closures that happen to house PON splitters in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Stupid question but is there someone we can contact in relation to getting a line run from next door?

Mothers house is 350m up the road, has one of those boxes with extra connections (Eir guys said so when I asked).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Stupid question but is there someone we can contact in relation to getting a line run from next door?

Mothers house is 350m up the road, has one of those boxes with extra connections (Eir guys said so when I asked).

Not a chance in hell, unless you're squat in the middle of 2 houses and were forgotten about by mistake you won't be added.
    At 350m you may as well be in a different county.
    Tho I did tell someone to contact openeir as they have ducting down to the road already laid and they are one house about 200m back from the road and from what I could see there maybe spare ports. But did tell her it's a very very slim chance. On top of that she is only 500m or so from a cab so will still get good speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

The hard and fast rule is 4 spans and drop think but a phone call and get the go ahead it can be 6 spans and drop. Typically a pole is 50m apart. The other rule is your not allowed to pass a dp. Ie no running 5 spans from a dp down the road up to a house when there's a dp 2 poles away. That basically results in a failed install and a survey to get dp changed to closer dp exceptional cases such as dp is across road and a span across would be ripped down by the first truck to pass under it.
    So either 250 or 350 depending.

• Advertisement

Reality is anything over 3 poles your chances are nearing zero - having other properties wanting to place orders increases your chances

GaryCocs wrote: »

fritzelly is most likely correct but to be sure if you put your mother's Eircode into this checker:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

then put the Eircode of a home near or at the box into the checker

If the second house passes and your mother's doesn't you're likely out of luck and she'll have to wait for the NBP.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Reality is anything over 3 poles your chances are nearing zero - having other properties wanting to place orders increases your chances

babi-hrse is dealing with installations thought where the premises is already on the APQ file whereas lots of questions here are about getting premises added to the APQ which is less likely to happen.

babi-hrse is dealing with installations thought where the premises is already on the APQ file whereas lots of questions here are about getting premises added to the APQ which is less likely to happen.

Yeah but more than 3 poles to be installed to get connection is heading into not a chance territory. By and large all rural connections are underground and getting an overhead connection where none exists seems to be getting harder (was never easy to start with with just one pole)
    As I referenced earlier with a woman who had laid new ducting down 200m - slim chance they may go with it since its just a cable pull

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The worst one I find is, if you spoon feed OE that they clearly forgot to document a few DPs, give them eircodes, ard-ids, dp-numbers and whoever picks up the ticket still goes "NBP", instead of escalating it properly.

Even though it's clearly a mistake. And not the first of them.

/M

Yep absolutely, had one a good while ago. An house past the customer had got fibre installed
    (both outside the rollout by maybe 20 meters to her house) and the line was running off a pole across her property. Tried to get her added - no go.
    Told her to threaten she will have the cable pulled down since it was crossing her property and never gave permission - soon changed their minds.

Incidentally OE are requiring eircodes for all new addresses to be added to their DB
    Dunno how that is gonna work out for new builds/estates that are gonna be FTTC or DSL regardless - guess a forewarning you better get your eircode sorted out pronto to get a connection in good time (tho not really relevant to FTTH since they all require eircodes)
    Tho the new requirement is actually fecking up all LE requests it seems.

Incidentally OE are requiring eircodes for all new addresses to be added to their DB

Yeah ... i spotted that they've gotten very very adamant about that for FTTH recently. A bit hilarious, since they've got 3.5k FTTH lines in the APQ, that have no eircode ... and a load on top, where either the adddress is the complete wrong county and sometimes even the eircode is wrong.

Like the ones on the Aran Islands, who are off the Kildare exchange etc. :) I'd love to see, how they'd work that one.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Like the ones on the Aran Islands, who are off the Kildare exchange etc. :) I'd love to see, how they'd work that one.

/M

It's that new wireless technology :eek:

Yeah but more than 3 poles to be installed to get connection is heading into not a chance territory. By and large all rural connections are underground and getting an overhead connection where none exists seems to be getting harder (was never easy to start with with just one pole)
    As I referenced earlier with a woman who had laid new ducting down 200m - slim chance they may go with it since its just a cable pull

It going to be at the discretion of the installer, which he is, so you'd have to take him at his word.

I don't agree that the majority of rural connections are underground. The age of construction will have a huge bearing on whether it is or not.

• Advertisement

It going to be at the discretion of the installer, which he is, so you'd have to take him at his word.

I don't agree that the majority of rural connections are underground. The age of construction will have a huge bearing on whether it is or not.

Installer can make a recommendation but it's ultimately up to the planning/BCC
    Many a time they have said we go OH and planning said no - had to sort out the ducting. But it is a grey area as to which way they will go.
    If there is ducting already in place then that is the way they will nearly always insist it goes.

Seen very few FTTH in rural areas where the install is OH, "generally" to do with ESB always seeming to be the house side of the road and the telegraph poles the other side where it is an OH feed. But nearly always people have built their homes the other side of the road from the poles :rolleyes:

Installer can make a recommendation but it's ultimately up to the planning/BCC
    If there is ducting already in place then that is the way they will nearly always insist it goes.

Seen very few FTTH in rural areas where the install is OH, "generally" to do with ESB always seeming to be the house side of the road and the telegraph poles the other side where it is an OH feed. But nearly always people have built their homes the other side of the road from the poles :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised if even 50% of the 300K are underground connections.

I'd be surprised if 10% are OH - seriously never come across them and in most cases it's trying to get the connection to go OH instead - but then again I'm only ever really dealing with the problem cases

Cannot remember the area but there is a street with poles in a village but all the fibre is run underground. Hard to explain to someone your phone maybe coming from the pole but the fibre is run underground and you need to sort out the ducting to the house. OE wouldn't entertain going up the pole to follow the phone line - need ducting in place else no connection

I'd be surprised if even 50% of the 300K are underground connections.

The desktop data is limited.

But:
    - a little over 9k are underground for sure.
    - 52k+ have been categorized as being on a pole.
    - 18k+ have been defined by there distance from the road, so unknown.
    - 105k have been defined as drop-point, which could be over ground or under ground.

that leaves about 50k unknown. And that's the data of all FTTH.

But I would agree, that in principle, the majority of rural rural FTTH is over ground. In villages, it's 50/50.

8 out of 10 installations I deal with are overhead on the road.

/M

I'd be surprised if 10% are OH - seriously never come across them and in most cases it's trying to get the connection to go OH instead - but then again I'm only ever really dealing with the problem cases

Cannot remember the area but there is a street with poles in a village but all the fibre is run underground. Hard to explain to someone your phone maybe coming from the pole but the fibre is run underground and you need to sort out the ducting to the house. OE wouldn't entertain going up the pole to follow the phone line - need ducting in place else no connection

Ah come on. You must never have been in rural Ireland. Do you think they were putting down ducting for phone cable in the 60s, 70s, 80s? Not a chance.

Hmmm categorized on a pole - well most connections are coming from a pole...but from the pole to the home is underground
    In the past year I've probably dealt with god knows how many - say 5k (rough estimate) - pretty much all were underground connections to the home

Hmmm categorized on a pole - well most connections are coming from a pole...but from the pole to the home is underground
    In the past year I've probably dealt with god knows how many - say 5k (rough estimate) - pretty much all were underground connections to the home

That's a different story. The question is: are we talking delivery on OpenEIRs network or delivery to the home.

OpenEIR has no say in delivery to the home. Well, they have .. they will only go 50m overhead for a drop. End off.

The way I read navi's question was cleary how OpenEIR arrives at the premise. Nevermind the drop to the customer. And that's predominantly overhead in rural areas.

/M

Ah come on. You must never have been in rural Ireland. Do you think they were putting down ducting for phone cable in the 60s, 70s, 80s? Not a chance.

Come across quite a few from the 80's - tiny ducting, enough room for the copper and thats it. 60/70's not really much knowledge from memory - yeah never seem to have had ducting, but requiring it for the install

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

when is "NBP" - is that sorted out by 2020 - at the very least?

• Advertisement

when is "NBP" - is that sorted out by 2020 - at the very least?

Nobody knows. Unlikely to have started by 2020 would be my guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement