Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Marlow wrote: »
    The way I read navi's question was cleary how OpenEIR arrives at the premise. Nevermind the drop to the customer. And that's predominantly overhead in rural areas.

/M

Maybe, their facts should never been taken at face value.
    I seriously never come across OH drops but rarely. As I said I only ever really deal with the problem cases but I've looked at Google street view far too many times to see lots of areas where it goes underground and I'm usually looking for a way to get it overhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fritzelly wrote: »
    Come across quite a few from the 80's - tiny ducting, enough room for the copper and thats it. 60/70's not really much knowledge from memory - yeah never seem to have had ducting, but requiring it for the install

We'll have to agree to disagree but drive around any older rural area and you'll see overhead drop cables everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

when is "NBP" - is that sorted out by 2020 - at the very least?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/communications-minister-refuses-to-commit-to-deadline-for-national-broadband-plan-882874.html

Nevermind that the Journalist is a tool and can't even decide to spell Bruton as "Burton" or "Bruton" having both spellings in one and the same article.

If the minister can't tell you, how are we going to tell you ?

/M

Maybe, their facts should never been taken at face value.
    I seriously never come across OH drops but rarely. As I said I only ever really deal with the problem cases but I've looked at Google street view far too many times to see lots of areas where it goes underground and I'm usually looking for a way to get it overhead
    We'll have to agree to disagree but drive around any older rural area and you'll see overhead drop cables everywhere.

In the Wescht, in the South and in Sligo/Donegal/Leitrim it's 80%+ overhead.

You must not be more than 80km out of Dublin with the problems you look at :)

And sometimes you find about 2km cable coiled up on a pole, where they stopped the rollout 2 years ago and went off to somewhere else.

/M

Give me a google link for some areas if you remember - not disagreeing with you at all just I never seem to come across those. KN are making a killing on doing the ducting work for people at an extra charge.
    My brain is wrecked after spending the past several days getting wholesale to get addresses correctly registered after being told submit them with the eircode, then do it again without the eircode then again with the eircode then again without ...to be finally told they don't know what's happening.

• Advertisement

In the Wescht, in the South and in Sligo/Donegal/Leitrim it's 80%+ overhead.

You must not be more than 80km out of Dublin with the problems you look at :)

/M

Lol - no I'm dealing with them everywhere, a lot of the areas you have brought up previously as being problems with the exchange blah blah
    Suprisingly I have very few dealing with anyone in Donegal!

Lol - no I'm dealing with them everywhere, a lot of the areas you have brought up previously as being problems with the exchange blah blah
    Suprisingly I have very few dealing with anyone in Donegal!

Funny that. Donegal has the biggest FTTH penetration in Ireland. 40k+ premises. 75% of that OpenEIR.

/M

Give me a google link for some areas if you remember - not disagreeing with you at all just I never seem to come across those. KN are making a killing on doing the ducting work for people at an extra charge.
    My brain is wrecked after spending the past several days getting wholesale to get addresses correctly registered after being told submit them with the eircode, then do it again without the eircode then again with the eircode then again without ...to be finally told they don't know what's happening.

https://goo.gl/maps/PFyzrP5qBfo - Westmeath

https://goo.gl/maps/xbWMQnCgqLm - Galway

https://goo.gl/maps/gznBgD9h6vL2 - Roscommon

Just examples. And these links are all part of the 300k.

/M

Funny that. Donegal has the biggest FTTH penetration in Ireland. 40k+ premises. 75% of that OpenEIR.

/M

Probably a little bit of ahh shure we'll sort it out - everywhere else but it's a bit too much like hard work

Probably a little bit of ahh shure we'll sort it out - everywhere else but it's a bit too much like hard work

That ... I can agree with.

/M

• Advertisement

https://goo.gl/maps/PFyzrP5qBfo - Westmeath

https://goo.gl/maps/xbWMQnCgqLm - Galway

https://goo.gl/maps/gznBgD9h6vL2 - Roscommon

Just examples. And these links are all part of the 300k.

/M

Stupid really asking for links as I can't check the connections but thanks anyway, see what you mean

Stupid really asking for links as I can't check the connections but thanks anyway, see what you mean

Sorry ... I can't really be posting a bunch of Eircodes here .... the data protection comissioner would have a field day :)

There's lots and lots and lots of overhead. My own gaff, that I moved into a month ago, got connected overhead. I would have preferred ducted, but the phone line was in overhead anyhow and there was no duct ... end off .. house been build mid-naughties, so hey ... that's easy. Plus the pole was on the other side of the road. I wasn't going to wait for OpenEIR to do the civils on fixing that.

Moycullen, Co. Galway is a disaster for the ducting across the road blocked/non-existant scenario.

And yes .. you don't want to deal with blocked ducts or crap.

I've even got one, where he couldn't go overhead because of HV lines nearby and the other pole being obstructed by trees to So we laid a duct. (Even that is called "Line of Sight" ... even though it's not fixed wireless :p ).

/M

It's definitely an age thing. Newer homes (post 2000) I'd say are nearly guaranteed ducted. Before that I'd imagine it's more likely they are not than are. I don't know when Eircom introduced the ETU but that would be a good indicator of when ducting became more common.

It's definitely an age thing. Newer homes (post 2000) I'd say are nearly guaranteed ducted. Before that I'd imagine it's more likely they are not than are. I don't know when Eircom introduced the ETU but that would be a good indicator of when ducting became more common.

Nope .. the gaff i rented is mid naughties. Not a notion of any kind of ducting. Even ESB is overhead. And this is midlands. 10 minutes out of Athlone and certainly an upmarket area.

/M

Nope .. the gaff i rented is mid naughties. Not a notion of any kind of ducting. Even ESB is overhead. And this is midlands. 10 minutes out of Athlone and certainly an upmarket area.

/M

Dodgy builder!

Dodgy builder!

Not even that. This place was build by somebody for himself. You notice these things, when you look at it. The place has thermostats on all radiators, water filtration system, the works.

Things that would have been the norm in Denmark in the 60s but are the total exception in Ireland from all I've seen, even within the last 10+ years. ... But there is no ETU and there is no ducting.

/M

Like I said I'm more dealing with the problem cases so my overall view is probably more skewed that way

Ohh and ducting cemented under the floor is still very common for houses not that old, ETU's do not seem to be all that common bar the very newer builds, even for 10 year old estates

Like I said I'm more dealing with the problem cases so my overall view is probably more skewed that way

That is correct, Sir. You never hear a peep from happy customers. We do have the odd one that rings us, just to tell us, that the broadband is great. Makes for happy staff.

/M

You never hear a peep from happy customers.
    /M

Very true - like this is what you are supposed to be doing anyway
    Tho have had the same guy phone up 3 days in a row now to extol my virtues (got thru to others in the office) - all I did was sort out an issue with his address and order, thinking a bit stalkerish now. Brazilian I think he is. Making for a good laugh at me tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

How would one go about getting an area in the carbury region activated for ftth. The DPS are in the ground now for over 6 months. Other areas in Kildare have gone active in less than 3 months after developer finished building houses.
    I've seen orders for ADSL and VDSL come out repeatedly for the same customers when all that is available is ftth which still cannot be ordered. Is there a contact or office to contact?

• Advertisement

Brazilian I think he is.

Don't underestimate that. For a person like that broadband is the only affordable way to keep in touch with his family.

/M

babi-hrse wrote: »
    How would one go about getting an area in the carbury region activated for ftth. The DPS are in the ground now for over 6 months. Other areas in Kildare have gone active in less than 3 months after developer finished building houses.
    I've seen orders for ADSL and VDSL come out repeatedly for the same customers when all that is available is ftth which still cannot be ordered. Is there a contact or office to contact?

Is this directly of the Naas exchange ? There is a problem there to be solved end of the month, start of December. Lines flagged as unavailable ? It's been an issue since August.

/M

Is this directly of the Naas exchange ? There is a problem there to be solved end of the month, start of December. It's been an issue since August.

/M

Carbury exchange, serves carbury ticknevin and derrinturn exchange code CRY

Is carbury exchange a daughter exchange of naas?

FTTH is coming from Enfield for that one. They've actually gone way beyond, what they planned for. 540 were forecast, 480 are in for the actual expansion and 616 ended up being listed active ..4 premises unavailable, which probably just means one DP is full ...

If they aren't available, they're NBP I'm afraid. Unless you can find poles with DPs that they didn't document and then are able to poke the right person in OE.

/M

Be up to the developer to liaise with their line manager if an estate is still not active and if it is a new estate then you are back of the line anyway. Is it a new estate? Unless you've been waiting over a year then you are lucky - most are waiting a lot longer than that to go live.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 classic tiler

Can you change the ONT unit btw? A neighbour here is really paranoid about the Chinese being involved.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Can you change the ONT unit btw? A neighbour here is really paranoid about the Chinese being involved.
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Sure just cover it in tinfoil :P
    ������������

Can I ask ... WHY WOULD YOUR NEIGHBOR WANT INTERNET ?

/M

FTTH is coming from Enfield for that one. They've actually gone way beyond, what they planned for. 540 were forecast, 480 are in for the actual expansion and 616 ended up being listed active ..4 premises unavailable, which probably just means one DP is full ...

If they aren't available, they're NBP I'm afraid. Unless you can find poles with DPs that they didn't document and then are able to poke the right person in OE.

/M

The DPS in new estate maybe only 12 houses about a year old are there ug updated on fulcrum 2 months ago. There's an estate in kilcock boycetown which is still being finished off and half the homes already have ftth in. There was a massive headache for an estate along the dunboyne rd where the DPS were in a year and nobody was able to order it. No idea what the situation is now. Is there no way they can get the same people who test it at the end of installing it to have the responsibility to submit eircodes and dp location off as a done thing. Be nice to be able to get people connected to it right after it goes active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

So then.... Apparently all things are looking like I can order me FTTH from the 1st of December then . in peoples experience, if I haven't got a blocked duct or other problem that could cause a failed install what would I be looking at from the time of ordering 1st week of Dec? One week until engineer to come out and fit or 2 weeks or more? .. I mean like I won't be sitting down to my Turkey and stuffing dinner on Christmas day will I and installer phone me up and say "OK , I'm ready to install" haha :) well OK I know that's far fetched (because I cannot see them working through the Christmas period) but at this stage even if installer did say the only slot I have free is Christmas day I would bloody bite his hand off , invite him in to join family for Christmas dinner and even play charades with him :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement