Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That all depends on the provider you order from. It varies a lot.

Talk to them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »
    That all depends on the provider you order from. It varies a lot.

Talk to them.

/M

yes, i wasnt thinking of that - i suppose some companies are more busier with installs than others - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭blueser

So then.... Apparently all things are looking like I can order me FTTH from the 1st of December then . in peoples experience, if I haven't got a blocked duct or other problem that could cause a failed install what would I be looking at from the time of ordering 1st week of Dec? One week until engineer to come out and fit or 2 weeks or more? .. I mean like I won't be sitting down to my Turkey and stuffing dinner on Christmas day will I and installer phone me up and say "OK , I'm ready to install" haha :) well OK I know that's far fetched (because I cannot see them working through the Christmas period) but at this stage even if installer did say the only slot I have free is Christmas day I would bloody bite his hand off , invite him in to join family for Christmas dinner and even play charades with him :D
    How did Eir (assuming they're your provider) let you know that you were free to order; email, phone, leaflet in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

If they aren't available, they're NBP I'm afraid. Unless you can find poles with DPs that they didn't document and then are able to poke the right person in OE.

/M

So there is a dp been there for a while now. So could it be an indexing/apq/provider not aware issue or something a bit more serious like nothing on the other end of the line at olt end

babi-hrse wrote: »
    So there is a dp been there for a while now. So could it be an indexing/apq/provider not aware issue or something a bit more serious like nothing on the other end of the line at olt end

If others in the area are enabled ... yes !

/M

• Advertisement

blueser wrote: »
    How did Eir (assuming they're your provider) let you know that you were free to order; email, phone, leaflet in the post?

I'm still not showing up as available for FTTH on the eir website at https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

i'm just taking airwire checker as gospel it says "Available 1/12/18" when i submit my eircode - maybe the eir website is not being updated as frequent as it should be .. or maybe they will update it after the 1st Dec

I'm still not showing up as available for FTTH on the eir website at https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

i'm just taking airwire checker as gospel it says "Available 1/12/18" when i submit my eircode - maybe the eir website is not being updated as frequent as it should be .. or maybe they will update it after the 1st Dec
    Thanks for the info. Just went on there and put in my eircode;

nBfs0O4.png

I've not heard anything official from Eir yet though, so I'll keep the champagne on ice for now. I just texted a mate who got the same result when he put his eircode in, even though KN haven't been up near him (they have been down my way).

Thanks for the info. Just went on there and put in my eircode;.

so close to it being available you can almost touch it :)

so close to it being available you can almost touch it :)
    Don't be filthy!
    ;)

Don't be filthy!
    ;)

:D - 150mbps of sexiness

• Advertisement

:D - 150mbps of sexiness
    Does that chat up line work then?
    ;)

It'll be sexier than 1.5 mbps
    :(

Does that chat up line work then?
    ;)

It'll be sexier than 1.5 mbps
    :(

i count myself lucky ... on a good day when the wind is blowing the right way i have 11mbps from my fixed Wireless system

i count myself lucky ... on a good day when the wind is blowing the right way i have 11mbps from my fixed Wireless system
    Up til recently, I'd have sold my soul to Satan for 11mbps!

I've not heard anything official from Eir yet though, so I'll keep the champagne on ice for now. I just texted a mate who got the same result when he put his eircode in, even though KN haven't been up near him (they have been down my way).

See ... maybe you're just trying to order with the wrong internet provider :)

/M

See ... maybe you're just trying to order with the wrong internet provider :)

/M
    I'm with Eir at the moment (contract to next june), whereas my mate is with VF.

I'm with Eir at the moment (contract to next june), whereas my mate is with VF.

Vodafone only is covering 93k of the over 220k premises possible. And that's only a recent development.

And both of them are terrible to update their databases. Vodafone works of a database that's from end of August. Eir maybe once a month. Airwire every week and they even tell you what date their data is from. None of the others do.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Thanks for the info. Just went on there and put in my eircode;

nBfs0O4.png

Airwire will have you connected while you are still waiting on eir to update their database. That’s how it worked with me.

Vodafone only is covering 93k of the over 220k premises possible. And that's only a recent development.

And both of them are terrible to update their databases. Vodafone works of a database that's from end of August. Eir maybe once a month. Airwire every week and they even tell you what date their data is from. None of the others do.

/M
    You seem pretty up to speed (pardon the pun!) on this issue. Where would Airwire get that early november date that I screenshotted earlier from? Are they just guessing, or do they have access to information from Eir/OpenEir/KN/whoever that the great unwashed aren't being given?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

AidenL wrote: »
    Airwire will have you connected while you are still waiting on eir to update their database. That’s how it worked with me.

But you'd miss out on the fantastic tunes you will listen to for hours on end calling Eir on 1901.

You seem pretty up to speed (pardon the pun!) on this issue. Where would Airwire get that early november date that I screenshotted earlier from? Are they just guessing, or do they have access to information from Eir/OpenEir that the great unwashed aren't bring given?

OpenEIR gives every wholesale partner a new file with the covered and soon to be covered premises every single week. That's a known fact (for those in the industry). Actually ... it's 3 files. And then another one once a month.

Not every provider does implement each file. Or optimize and filter them for errors. And not every provider makes use of the additional files.

Also , not every provider relays all of the information that is in that file. Like the first possible order date. You'll find scenarios where the Eir checker tells you "Yes" and the Airwire checker gives you a date. That happens when Eir finally updates their database but ignores the ready for order date. They'll just sit on your order for a couple of weeks then, leaving you in the dark.

You'll find quite a few examples of that, if you read back in this thread.

/M

• Advertisement

OpenEIR gives every wholesale partner a new file with the covered and soon to be covered premises every single week. That's a known fact (for those in the industry). Actually ... it's 3 files. And then another one once a month.

Not every provider does implement each file. Or optimize and filter them for errors. And not every provider makes use of the additional files.

Also , not every provider relays all of the information that is in that file. Like the first possible order date.

/M
    Thanks for that. So, as far as Airwire are concerned, the information given to them is genuine, whatever the providers do re. honouring that information.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Thanks for that. So, as far as Airwire are concerned, the information given to them is genuine, whatever the providers do re. honouring that information.

We are an OpenEIR partner as you can see here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

The information in our availability check comes straight from OpenEIR. We tend to update it every single week, as we get the updated information from them, unless there is a problem with the update we receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Read back through Airwire:MartinL posts, he's explained how they do it in various posts.

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=874592&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=%2A%3A%2A

We are an OpenEIR partner as you can see here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

The information in our availability check comes straight from OpenEIR. We tend to update it every single week, as we get the updated information from them, unless there is a problem with the update we receive.
    Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

that must be a weird situation to be in - having FTTH all up and running and working with airwire and checking the eir site with your FTTH connection only to be told that "FTTH is not available at your premises at the moment" haha :D

tuxy wrote: »
    But you'd miss out on the fantastic tunes you will listen to for hours on end calling Eir on 1901.

takes me back years ago when you used to phone up eircom technical support and was put on hold listening to a loop of whitney houston track which they used on their TV adverts over and over and over again . I liked that song when it first came out ... hated it after listening to it 50 times in a row waiting for tech person to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

that must be a weird situation to be in - having FTTH all up and running and working with airwire and checking the eir site with your FTTH connection only to be told that "FTTH is not available at your premises at the moment" haha :D

Not weird, quite satisfying :)

Not weird, quite satisfying :)

I wouldn't know ... but I will soon :) - by Christmas hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's because some ISPs have grasped that providing a quality router is more important than margins. The Fritz!Box routers are far and beyond from cheap. Full stop. Never have been. The cost for customer support for shoddy routers is far bigger, than a massive margin on the router.
    /M

Spot on. EIR are about to get some blow back from me. I lost internet connection on Friday and had to reboot the router. It's now happened again. My son, who is more computer literate than I, has been complaining that the internet connection has been generally unstable, with it stopping interacting with the internet and even it's own web interface at times. After rebooting this time, it subsequently lost connection for 30 pings - about 30 seconds.

Frankly, having forked out for fibre, I am now back with the copper unreliability I have experienced for the past ten years. Unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is this the f2000 over wifi? Anyone going with Eir who needs a strong wifi signal needs to factor in the cost of a good wifi access point to add to their network. I found the f2000 perfectly adequate over a wired connection though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement