Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    Is this the f2000 over wifi? Anyone going with Eir who needs a strong wifi signal needs to factor in the cost of a good wifi access point to add to their network. I found the f2000 perfectly adequate over a wired connection though.

most would be tho

i dunno why and its most probably just because you can see them but i much prefer wireless routers where they have placed the stubby aerials on the outside of the unit rather than hide the aerials on the inside of the unit . it may make the routers more aesthetically nicer looking but i still prefer them on the outside ... even better if the router is equipped with those small f-type screw type connectors at the rear where you can plug in an external base type aerial on a lead so you can place the aerial well away from the router

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, it's the F2000 and no, my son's computers are all connected via ethernet.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes, it's the F2000 and no, my son's computers are all connected via ethernet.
    I also have an F2000 and I do find that it can occasionally drop sessions and that is wired Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Are those Fritzbox routers worth the extra money, as Marlow seemed to imply? When the fibre finally shows up, I'd be looking for a reliable wifi router.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I'm looking to go with pure telecom do they supply a different router than the one that looks like a red caddilac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

blueser wrote: »
    Are those Fritzbox routers worth the extra money, as Marlow seemed to imply? When the fibre finally shows up, I'd be looking for a reliable wifi router.

Lets say it like this: AVM is so confident with their routers, they haven't even given a reset button. Factory reset has to be done through the webinterface or via a special piece of software.

They're generally set up and forget. Unless you need to tweak something in regards to interference on wifi or port-forwarding. But otherwise there's no need to go near them. Ever.

/M

babi-hrse wrote: »
    I'm looking to go with pure telecom do they supply a different router than the one that looks like a red caddilac

haha - yeah thats what the Fritz boxes look exactly like

Marlow wrote: »
    Lets say it like this: AVM is so confident with their routers, they haven't even given a reset button. Factory reset has to be done through the webinterface or via a special piece of software.

They're generally set up and forget. Unless you need to tweak something in regards to interference on wifi or port-forwarding. But otherwise there's no need to go near them. Ever.

/M
    Thanks for the heads up.

babi-hrse wrote: »

There is a black version of the Fritz!Box routers. You can always ask for that, if the provider stocks it.

I'm not sure, what Pure Telecom are using for FTTH, but on VDSL they were using those crummy Technicolor routers ... and those are far from reliable.

/M

i've liked the belkin range of wireless lan routers over the years - you dont see them around as much these days

• Advertisement

i've liked the belkin range of wireless lan routers over the years - you dont see them around as much these days

Their performance is awful. Most of them can't cope with the faster speeds. What good is a router, that only can handle 15-20 Mbit/s throughput when firewalling, when your connection is 100 Mbit/s or faster ?

ISPs performance test their routers, that they at least wired can reach the speeds of the packages they offer. On SIRO it's actually a requirement by SIRO, that the provider tests their router in the lab first and proves they can handle the speed.

No Belkin router being offered by any of the providers tells a story: either not capable, not price efficient or Belkin not having a presence / talking to providers. Either one of those will boot them out of the market.

/M

Oh .. and some providers won't even give you support, if you have a Belkin, Buffalo, Netis or Tenda router.

D-Link just a notch above that.

Those are the ones that ALWAYS give trouble.

TP-Link have made a solid name for them in the last 5+ years, when it comes to budget routers. They basically picked up, where Linksys disappeared, when Cisco bought them. But they are, what they are: budget routers.

/M

Their performance is awful. Most of them can't cope with the faster speeds. What good is a router, that only can handle 15-20 Mbit/s throughput when firewalling, when your connection is 100 Mbit/s or faster ?

ISPs performance test their routers, that they at least wired can reach the speeds of the packages they offer. On SIRO it's actually a requirement by SIRO, that the provider tests their router in the lab first and proves they can handle the speed.

No Belkin router being offered by any of the providers tells a story: either not capable, not price efficient or Belkin not having a presence / talking to providers. Either one of those will boot them out of the market.

/M

aesthetically they have looked quite sexy though - black n shiny and pretty LED lights and symbols :D

aesthetically they have looked quite sexy though - black n shiny and pretty LED lights and symbols :D
    Looking sexy, but the performance isn't up to speed. Are you trying to tell us something?
    :D

Looking sexy, but the performance isn't up to speed. Are you trying to tell us something?
    :D

make of it what you will .. but its not the sizeof Tx rates its what you do with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Any benefit of ordering online vs over the phone? (Likely provider dependant)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Mine was free with Digiweb. It has a lot of nice features that if you are a little geeky you'd like. It can email a weekly summary of what's going on data usage and connection wise to you. It emails if you miss a VoIP phone call. It allows you to rename each device on the network so they appear logically in network view. It queries devices on the network and gives you power line adapter speed info, version details etc. It has live data utilization monitoring. You can also set up vpn and remote access via their online portal. I don't use some of the features but it's noticeable how much better it is over my older Vodafone hg device for ADSL.

All small things that the regular user will not even notice.

Plus the WiFi has very good coverage.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Mine was free with Digiweb. It has a lot of nice features that if you are a little geeky you'd like. It can email a weekly summary of what's going on data usage and connection wise to you. It emails if you miss a VoIP phone call. It allows you to rename each device on the network so they appear logically in network view. It queries devices on the network and gives you power line adapter speed info, version details etc. It has live data utilization monitoring. You can also set up vpn and remote access via their online portal. I don't use some of the features but it's noticeable how much better it is over my older Vodafone hg device for ADSL.

All small things that the regular user will not even notice.

Plus the WiFi has very good coverage.
    I'm in a contract with Eir until June. Thanks for the advice though, they seem to be the ones to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Seen a couple of KN vans around here on Friday. The available to order date is on the 7th. Be interesting to see how quickly it goes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

TP-Link have made a solid name for them in the last 5+ years, when it comes to budget routers. They basically picked up, where Linksys disappeared, when Cisco bought them. But they are, what they are: budget routers.

/M

When I got Fibre in, was having issues with devices connecting via wireless to F2000, so replaced with TP-Link Archer C1200. Sorted out all the issues I was having, but it doesn't seem like it could handle the VLAN 10 (I think) tagging for the eir TV.
    So I have the F2000 plugged in with the Eir Vision box connected to that and the TP-Link connected to the F2000 managing everything else.

So just something else to keep in mind if changing routers, and getting EirTV.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00416PTDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

When I got Fibre in, was having issues with devices connecting via wireless to F2000, so replaced with TP-Link Archer C1200. Sorted out all the issues I was having, but it doesn't seem like it could handle the VLAN 10 (I think) tagging for the eir TV.
    So I have the F2000 plugged in with the Eir Vision box connected to that and the TP-Link connected to the F2000 managing everything else.

So just something else to keep in mind if changing routers, and getting EirTV.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00416PTDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Yeah I bought the Archer C1200 to run as an access point for upstairs. Works very well and has great wifi coverage reaching the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Been following this thread for a while and my new house goes live on 7/11/18 to order, airwire have been a great help on here so went with them. Interestingly a mate a few doors down is also going live on 7/11/18 but eir wont take the preorder so he is going into the eir shop first thing 7/11/18 to order. Hoping after he didnt listen to me to go with airwire that mine gets installed first!

Have gotten a few businesses, friends and family to order FTTH and all had trouble with their installs requiring multiple visits from KN to complete installs - but for me and my mate they are just straight forward overhead 20m installs both on new poles into almost identical houses as regards install. So with all things equal will be interesting to see if airwire get an install booked and completed before eir...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Seems quite a few of us in different areas are on 7/11 dates. I'll likely go with eir for the first year but can see myself switching to Airwire. Only reason choosing eir to be honest is the initial 12 month offer and I already pay for BT Sport (dont judge me..)

MBSnr wrote: »
    Yeah I bought the Archer C1200 to run as an access point for upstairs. Works very well and has great wifi coverage reaching the garden.

not bad price - 69eur komplett.ie and 50euro from DID electrical

not bad price - 69eur komplett.ie and 50euro from DID electrical

Just looking, its currently 45 pounds on Amazon with Prime membership. I paid £63. But as I said, not a direct replacement for the F2000 if you are getting eir TV, but good AP.

that C1200 TP-link looks like it should handle IPTV and has settings for Vlan tagging - strange that it didnt work and that you have 2 have 2 routers connected when maybe the one TP-Link should suffice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

but it doesn't seem like it could handle the VLAN 10 (I think) tagging for the eir TV.

It can do vlan tagging just fine or else you would have no data. vlan10 is used for data only. VOIP uses a different vlan and eir TV uses IP multicast.
    It was probably the multicast that the router couldn't do.

It can do vlan tagging just fine or else you would have no data. vlan10 is used for data only. VOIP uses a different vlan and eir TV uses IP multicast.
    It was probably the multicast that the router couldn't do.

Yea your right. It had no issue with the vlan tagging. And had functionality to do vlan tagging for VOIP, but couldn't handle the multicast. Maybe I didn't have the right settings, but couldn't for life of me replicate what was on the f2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

vlan10 is used for data only. VOIP uses a different vlan

Out of curiosity I checked this and it is not the case. VoIP is using VLAN 10. What differentiates it from normal traffic is that it gets assigned an 802.1p PCP value of 4. I assume this is to make use of the QoS that is part of the GPON framework. It gets quite complicated with T-CONTs and GEM Ports.

Some background if anyone is interested:

https://sites.google.com/site/amitsciscozone/home/gpon/gpon-vlans-and-gem-ports

A slideshare from Huawei with more information:

https://www.slideshare.net/mansoor_gr8/gpon-fundamentals

To capture the traffic I set up a port mirroring switch between the ONT and router. I then used Wireshark to capture a SIP registration event and also a phone call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Interesting, maybe we will eventually figure out how to get eir voip working on something that's not the f2000.

Or maybe not, as it's far more complicated than expected. Still worth investigating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement