Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

The eir site is a bit poor. I stuck in an eircode I know down home that has FTTH available, the 'great news' appears and I select a bundle to order, just to see what's involved in the process. It then pops up with a place to enter your phone number to see if you can get eir fiber or use an address. The address then gives a list of non specific addresses. After entering and address it just goes back to the main broadband page again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

chris_ie wrote: »
    The eir site is a bit poor. I stuck in an eircode I know down home that has FTTH available, the 'great news' appears and I select a bundle to order, just to see what's involved in the process. It then pops up with a place to enter your phone number to see if you can get eir fiber or use an address. The address then gives a list of non specific addresses. After entering and address it just goes back to the main broadband page again.

If ordering with eir I'd definitely do it by phone. Document everything you can, times of calls, name of rep etc.

If ordering with eir I'd definitely do it by phone. Document everything you can, times of calls, name of rep etc.
    Are they that bad? I haven't dealt with eir ever! Although I have read some threads about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's not so much Eir's fault (well it is really by offering multiple ways to check) but the only way to 100% guarantee you get a correct result for FTTH prequal is with the eircode. The eircode is the primary indicator that OpenEir have used to show what premises can get FTTH. Their internal address system was never used
    Unless the eircode is matched with the internal ARD key that OpenEir use then using your phone number to check is pointless and unless...well it gets more messy from there on.
    It's just the messy way that OE have operated forever - tho they are now changing to requiring eircodes for all new address additions which actually creates other problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Are they that bad? I haven't dealt with eir ever! Although I have read some threads about them.

Yes they really are. Here's the latest calamity of Eir-ors ;)
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057922523
    This is just the tip of the iceberg. You can read many stories like this over there.
    https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

I know you generally see the negative side of a company on such forums but Eir's is far worse than any of other such talk to forums. It's happened to me. After being with them since they were Telecom Eireann I lost service and they had no record of me ever being a customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Looks like the F2000 seems to have IPv4 issues. Had several reports of the IPv4 of if going haywire in the last days, while IPv6 still worked.

powercycle fixes it .... for a while ....

The mind boggles, why they went with that doorstop ... it must have been cheap.

Then again, they also never paid ZyXEL for firmware upgrades on the F1000 either, so those are all still on rev 1.00. Which was pretty unreliable.

/M

Yeah they don't seem too promising. I had a laugh a while back when i used the web chat on the site to ask about FTTH live date. It was only a date I wanted and they kept saying they'd need my phone number to see what speeds I could get. Even after telling them numerous times I didn't have a phone number and anyway it was FTTH. They said they'd need to install a phone line before they could check the speed and "are you happy to proceed with this order?" Ridiculously bad.

Only reason I'm going eir is I currently pay for BT sport and first 12 months seems a better deal. Otherwise I'd go with Airwire.

The webchat is still mainly operated by India. Don't expect any sort of knowledgable response from that.

It's useless .. at best.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The webchat is still mainly operated by India. Don't expect any sort of knowledgable response from that.

It's useless .. at best.

/M

I've rarely ever come across a site with a decent web chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

I've rarely ever come across a site with a decent web chat.

Amazon are good. Contact them with an issue and they'll give back a refund no questions asked :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

airwire checker a couple of days ago said of my eircode "FTTC VDSL available 1/12/18" and FTTH "Coming Soon"

Today after an update it says "FTTC VDSL Please check with our sales team or check" and FTTH "coming Soon"

*dont worry Martin I am not getting at you and I realise you just work from the lists you get from OE.

just pointing out how hit and miss the OE information must be when supplying the info to the ISP's

at least I know now that our village's cabinets are VDSL live now anyway because I have had 2 callouts so far locally who have changed packages over from ADSL to VDSL so at least the cabinets are FTTC live now so thats something.

one of my customers 90mbps (but they are close to the cabinet) and another only 750meters away from the cabinet decreased to 30mbps

it just shows that FTTC doesnt carry that brilliant distance wise over copper from the cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Our available date has been updated to the 21st of November which seems like a more realistic date where's the 7th seemed like a holder date that several exchanges got.

A question for Martin if he reads this. I've ordered with yourselves, will I need to do anymore or will you get in touch when there's progress? Thanks

We've been moved out to 21st Nov now also. I'll be surprised if we have it by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭blueser

correction wrote: »
    Our available date has been updated to the 21st of November which seems like a more realistic date where's the 7th seemed like a holder date that several exchanges got.

A question for Martin if he reads this. I've ordered with yourselves, will I need to do anymore or will you get in touch when there's progress? Thanks
    Still showing me as available from tomorrow, "last updated 6.11.2018". I have a similar (but different!) question to yours; if I was to order via Airwire, I assume that I would need to pay up my contract with Eir (expires next June).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

blueser wrote: »
    Still showing me as available from tomorrow, "last updated 6.11.2018". I have a similar (but different!) question to yours; if I was to order via Airwire, I assume that I would need to pay up my contract with Eir (expires next June).

I was talking to someone the other day who was with Vodafone at home still in contract and they wanted him to pay 600euro to leave whilst he was still in contract! :eek:

I was talking to someone the other day who was with Vodafone at home still in contract and they wanted him to pay 600euro to leave whilst he was still in contract! :eek:
    Yep. That's why I'll probably have to wait for Eir have the fibre "available". I believe that when you switch over to fibre, you enter a new contract and the old one is cancelled.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

airwire checker a couple of days ago said of my eircode "FTTC VDSL available 1/12/18" and FTTH "Coming Soon"

Today after an update it says "FTTC VDSL Please check with our sales team or check" and FTTH "coming Soon"

*dont worry Martin I am not getting at you and I realise you just work from the lists you get from OE.

We have already flagged the issue with OpenEIR that there are premises listed last week, that now have been removed again.

It's a few 100 of them.

Is there any cases the available dates get brought forward? Where they over estimate the available date to give themselves time but get it done earlier? I doubt it, as its only bumped two weeks, so think I'll be best to forget about it til the 21st and not bother checking.

PS : Cheers to Martin, great that someone keeps us up to date. Hopefully you get plenty business from grateful people on here.

Is there any cases the available dates get brought forward? Where they over estimate the available date to give themselves time but get it done earlier? I doubt it, as its only bumped two weeks, so think I'll be best to forget about it til the 21st and not bother checking.

What normally happens is that they (OE) just flag the premises as unavailable and then you and the providers are left in the dark.

That they brought dates forward in this instance is considered progress.

Oh ... and it looks like they broke the fibrerollout.ie map .... doh !

/M

What normally happens is that they (OE) just flag the premises as unavailable and then you and the providers are left in the dark.

That they brought dates forward in this instance is considered progress.

Oh ... and it looks like they broke the fibrerollout.ie map .... doh !

/M

Yeah I was originally down for Available 7th, now 21st. To be honest I didnt think we'd get it before Christmas until those on here mentioned the Airwire checker and I saw the 7th. Might have been better off not knowing :D Anyways, glad we'll get it eventually, whenever that may be.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

On top of that, we also brought another 10gig upstream online in Dublin this week. We're the first provider to have upstream from NTT in Ireland, which should give us very decent routes into Asia.

That brings us to 4 different upstream carriers (Cogent, Level3, NTT and Viatel) and of course connectivity on both Lans on INEX.

Yeah I was originally down for Available 7th, now 21st. To be honest I didnt think we'd get it before Christmas until those on here mentioned the Airwire checker and I saw the 7th. Might have been better off not knowing :D Anyways, glad we'll get it eventually, whenever that may be.

It's always been quoted, that the dates are estimated. At least you've got something to look forward to instead of not knowing at all.

/M

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

On top of that, we also brought another 10gig upstream online in Dublin this week. We're the first provider to have upstream from NTT in Ireland, which should give us very decent routes into Asia.

That brings us to 4 different upstream carriers (Cogent, Level3, NTT and Viatel) and of course connectivity on both Lans on INEX.
    Seeing as you've updated your site, and I'm still showing up as "available" tomorrow, what's the chances of that being put back at this late stage? None slim, possible, likely, definitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

None slim, possible, likely, definitely?

All of them til the install actually happens

Seeing as you've updated your site, and I'm still showing up as "available" tomorrow, what's the chances of that being put back at this late stage? None slim, possible, likely, definitely?

There are even people that are "available" that fail for no light at DP. If the date hasn't changed your chances are good. But then there is still the chance of Eir retails database not letting you order for a while, if that's the way you want to go.

/M

There are even people that are "available" that fail for no light at DP. If the date hasn't changed your chances are good. But then there is still the chance of Eir retails database not letting you order for a while, if that's the way you want to go.

/M
    It'll have to be Eir unfortunately, seeing as I'm in a contract with them until next June. Paying off 7 months at €45 pm is not an enticing prospect.

By the way; DP? It's probably blindingly obvious, but give us a clue anyway!

By the way; DP? It's probably blindingly obvious, but give us a clue anyway!

DP = distribution point
    I had to wait about 2 months after ordering before I got a successful install. They kept sending people out to do an install but there was no light at the DP.
    It turns out the DP outside my house was faulty and they had other issues at the exchange so they were sorting that out before replacing the faulty DP.
    Not sure why they wanted to send a tech every week even though the problem had been logged.

tuxy wrote: »
    DP = distribution point
    I had to wait about 2 months after ordering before I got a successful install. They kept sending people out to do an install but there was no light at the DP.
    It turns out the DP outside my house was faulty and they had other issues at the exchange so they were sorting that out before replacing the faulty DP.
    Not sure why they wanted to send a tech every week even though the problem had been logged.
    Thanks. Is the DP the unit at the top of the telegraph poles?
    20181031-115746.jpg

Yep

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Yep
    Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement