Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://www.ft.com/content/29eb5d28-e10d-11e8-8e70-5e22a430c1ad

Eircom and Siro should take note.
    The UK has warned its telecoms companies to consider their suppliers carefully as they build 5G networks, in a move that industry figures said was targeted at Huawei

Can’t quote full article.

I assume this is why Nokia were instead included in the NBP consortium somewhat to alleviate future concerns/press coverage of national security that would (and have) rise on this side of the world.
    Whether you believe anything untoward is going on or not, mud sticks.

My workplace has internally already banned the use Lenovo, Acer, ASUS etc laptops on the premises. Ridiculous given that most of not all are built by Foxconn these days. Including iPads, iPhones etc. Can’t go in to it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭blueser

https://www.ft.com/content/29eb5d28-e10d-11e8-8e70-5e22a430c1ad

Eircom and Siro should take note.

Can’t quote full article.

I assume this is why Nokia were instead included in the NBP consortium somewhat to alleviate future concerns/press coverage of national security that would (and have) rise on this side of the world.
    Whether you believe anything untoward is going on or not, mud sticks.

My workplace has internally already banned the use Lenovo, Acer, ASUS etc laptops on the premises. Ridiculous given that most of not all are built by Foxconn these days. Including iPads, iPhones etc. Can’t go in to it further.
    Wrong thread? Plus, that link is hidden behind a subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

very strange to link to the one behind a paywall when the article is available elsewhere.
    https://tech2.org/canada/united-kingdom-warns-that-5g-networks-should-consider-suppliers-carefully/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

_sheep wrote: »
    So with all things equal will be interesting to see if airwire get an install booked and completed before eir...

So today 7/11/18 ordering is live for me and my mate who are in houses side by side. He went with eir and me with airwire. He got his appointment this morning from Eir that his install will be Monday AM 12/11/18 and I'm still waiting for notification.

So today 7/11/18 ordering is live for me and my mate who are in houses side by side. He went with eir and me with airwire. He got his appointment this morning from Eir that his install will be Monday AM 12/11/18 and I'm still waiting for notification.
    Your mate went with Eir, yeah? How was he notified by them?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Sometimes, there is another task needed from our side, before your order can go in. Be assured, that we'll get in touch, once we have the confirmed date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

blueser wrote: »
    Your mate went with Eir, yeah? How was he notified by them?

Just rang him to clarify, he got an email. He also said the guy in the Eir shop took his order on Monday even though 'he wasnt supposed to' until today, no idea what means though.

Just rang him to clarify, he got an email. He also said the guy in the Eir shop took his order on Monday even though 'he wasnt supposed to' until today, no idea what means though.
    Thanks.

*keeps checking inbox*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Something has occurred to me: in their FTTH video, open Eir say a few things - they bring in the fibre through the ENT, they don't go into attics and they install the ONT near existing sockets (I think).
    That poses a bit of a problem for me, because our old eircom rj11 socket is the other side of the house from the ENT, and the cabling runs through the attic.

Where are they likely to install the ONT then in this case? At the east side of the house is really inconvenient in terms of wireless signal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Something has occurred to me: in their FTTH video, open Eir say a few things - they bring in the fibre through the ENT, they don't go into attics and they install the ONT near existing sockets (I think).
    That poses a bit of a problem for me, because our old eircom rj11 socket is the other side of the house from the ENT, and the cabling runs through the attic.

Where are they likely to install the ONT then in this case? At the east side of the house is really inconvenient in terms of wireless signal...

The installer would likely want to install the ONT on the other side of the ETU (ENT) or at least somewhere in that room.

How does the cable get from the ETU to the attic? Is there the possibility of installing a drawstring to pull the cable into the attic then feeding it back down to the phone point?Although you'd have to do this yourself as the installer will likely not go into the attic.

Alternatively you could ask him to bring the cable back out of the ETU then clip it to the exterior of your home to a room more suitable for installation.

• Advertisement

The installer would likely want to install the ONT on the other side of the ETU (ENT) or at least somewhere in that room.

How does the cable get from the ETU to the attic? Is there the possibility of installing a drawstring to pull the cable into the attic then feeding it back down to the phone point?Although you'd have to do this yourself as the installer will likely not go into the attic.

Alternatively you could ask him to bring the cable back out of the ETU then clip it to the exterior of your home to a room more suitable for installation.

The problem with the ETU is the rooms on the other side of it are the kitchen and utility room. High humidity and a microwave in the kitchen, and not enough sockets in the utility room.

I have the tools to terminate cat5e cable, would it be a more viable option to run ethernet from the ONT into the attic then along to the intended router location beside the existing socket, or is the ONT pickier about cable length than I'm assuming here? The routers use WAN ports right?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I managed to get my install done in the attic a few weeks ago, but I understand that is fairly exceptional.

While the installers may not go near attics, that doesn't mean others can't. If you were to say to an installer that given 15 min, you would have the fibre run through the attic and poking out the wall at the existing Eir socket, he might be Ok with that.

The problem with the ETU is the rooms on the other side of it are the kitchen and utility room. High humidity and a microwave in the kitchen, and not enough sockets in the utility room.

I have the tools to terminate cat5e cable, would it be a more viable option to run ethernet from the ONT into the attic then along to the intended router location beside the existing socket, or is the ONT pickier about cable length than I'm assuming here? The routers use WAN ports right?

Yes router uses WAN Ethernet from the ONT. That would be an option. Technically you should be able to go 100m over Ethernet from the ONT to the router. The ONT is still left in the kitchen or utility room in this scenario though and it needs power also.

Yes router uses WAN Ethernet from the ONT. That would be an option. Technically you should be able to go 100m over Ethernet from the ONT to the router. The ONT is still left in the kitchen or utility room in this scenario though and it needs power also.
    How long is the power cable for the ONT just out of interest? I could probably find a socket for it but not 2 at once if the router was left there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Power lead isn't that long and he needs to sign off the installation which means he can't just leave it half done while you arrange to get the router plugged in somewhere else.
    Why don't you just take the first visit as a survey (you are after all assuming there won't be any problems). Ask the tech what he's ok with, what he suggests is the easiest and what he's willing to do.
    Every install is different and most of the techs are pretty obliging to make the install as easy as possible and suitable for you, you could have him back out a few days later to do the install (assuming no other issues). But time is money for them, literally, so the easier you make it for him the better

How long is the power cable for the ONT just out of interest? I could probably find a socket for it but not 2 at once if the router was left there.

About 1m. Mine isn't very accessible so it's hard to measure. Someone else might have a more accurate answer.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Power lead isn't that long and he needs to sign off the installation which means he can't just leave it half done while you arrange to get the router plugged in somewhere else.
    Why don't you just take the first visit as a survey (you are after all assuming there won't be any problems). Ask the tech what he's ok with, what he suggests is the easiest and what he's willing to do.
    Every install is different and most of the techs are pretty obliging to make the install as easy as possible and suitable for you, you could have him back out a few days later to do the install (assuming no other issues). But time is money for them, literally, so the easier you make it for him the better

Just have an extension lead or an adapter to plug in the router beside the ONT, let him sign off then move it when he's gone.

Is there a way to ensure you get the same installer, I had 5 different ones call to me.

I read it as there is no spare sockets there at all?

Generally the techs can pick up the job if they know its there. More rural you are the more the chance of the same tech

I had many different things pointed out by the different techs as to why my install was going to be difficult. The last guy who called seemed confused on why there would be any issue and had the install done very fast.

• Advertisement

I read it as there is no spare sockets there at all?

4 in the utility room, all of them in use. A little 2 way splitter cube *could* be used, but with a fridge, freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer plugged in I'd be wary about sharing a socket with a high-draw device

So would I and not even knowing if they are on another shared circuit.

4 in the utility room, all of them in use. A little 2 way splitter cube *could* be used, but with a fridge, freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer plugged in I'd be wary about sharing a socket with a high-draw device

A fridge isn't a particularly high load device and the couple of watts the ONT uses is unlikely to make any difference.

A fridge isn't a particularly high load device and the couple of watts the ONT uses is unlikely to make any difference.

Can have a high draw when starting a cooling down cycle along with the freezer etc, still need to be careful not to be overloading the line.

Guessing single storey? He could maybe take it from the ENT to the eaves around to the front and in to your hallway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Honestly ... the ONT PSU is like 2A or less. And that's at 12V .. not 220V. So no more than 25W. It's not what's going to make a difference.

The combination there in one plug would make me worried beforehand.

/M

Can have a high draw when starting a cooling down cycle along with the freezer etc, still need to be careful not to be overloading the line.

Guessing single storey? He could maybe take it from the ENT to the eaves around to the front and in to your hallway

If <5W is going to cause an issue you have bigger problems with your wiring.

If <5W is going to cause an issue you have bigger problems with your wiring.

Jup .. replace a standard bulb with a LED power saving bulb and you have room for 5 ONTs.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Jup .. replace a standard bulb with a LED power saving bulb and you have room for 5 ONTs.

/M

Lights wouldn't be on the same circuit

As I said the line could be working fine now but even adding a few low power devices could start heating up the line. No one but the poster (maybe) knows what cabling was used for the sockets.

Anyway mute point - there is probably a better solution to the placement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

What’s wrong exactly with having the ONT and ODP affixed to the wall like mine? It takes up little space and is visible in case of any faults/failures occur.

Those insistent on installing it in the attic should take note, Just because a technician installs it in the attic, there’s no guarantee other techs will go up to replace the ont if issues do arise. Eircom is meant to be taking everything back in-house soon and I somehow doubt their technicians will be as accommodating as KN.

• Advertisement

What’s wrong exactly with having the ONT and ODP affixed to the wall like mine? It takes up little space and is visible in case of any faults/failures occur.

Those insistent on installing it in the attic should take note, Just because a technician installs it in the attic, there’s no guarantee other techs will go up to replace the ont if issues do arise. Eircom is meant to be taking everything back in-house soon and I somehow doubt their technicians will be as accommodating as KN.

Nothing .. and it's even tidier these days ... The cradle is the ODP.

45042802534_cdf472e50b_b.jpg

So all that sits on the wall is that cradle having all the ODP components and then the ONT sitting inside that.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement