Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Dell Inspiron P66F with 1Gb card.
    Will be out of contract in Sep and paying €91.
    Will not stay with Eir because they don't give a F$^k!.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Cat5 isnt fast enough. Do you have ac wifi on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Cat5 isnt fast enough. Do you have ac wifi on your phone?

Will try Cat6 lead next week....have WiFi on phone ...ac WiFi???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

garroff wrote: »
    Will try Cat6 lead next week....have WiFi on phone ...ac WiFi???

802.11ac

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Its the fastest wifi standard, close to the router it should be fast enough to max your connection. Most modern mobiles have it now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

exactly one year to the day since I got FTTH installed. It's been very smooth throughout except at the start where I was installed from the wrong pole and June wind destroyed my connection. Eir reinstalled my line from the correct pole back in July and no problems ever since. One whole year since the horrors of single digit ADSL and connection still going great. I am now also over the 12 month contract and free to move to another provider.

7208287334.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Gonzo wrote: »
    . I am now also over the 12 month contract and free to move to another provider.

I signed up in April and got an 18 months contract.
    Did you ever go over the 1TB FUP in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

One whole year since the horrors of single digit ADSL and connection still going great. I am now also over the 12 month contract and free to move to another provider.
    Wow, that flew.
    I've had install dates of the 1st February and the 4th March and now hearing May 18th!
    I signed up to an 18 month contract with Vodafone thinking I'd have to double pay for ages. That contract runs out in 7 minutes!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

long_b wrote: »
    I signed up in April and got an 18 months contract.
    Did you ever go over the 1TB FUP in the end?

never gone over, can't afford to go over it either Eir's penalty charges are so high. I am lucky as I am basically the only person in the house who uses the internet for work and gaming/videos. If there was another member in the household who watches lots of video content the FUP would be smashed each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

never gone over, can't afford to go over it either Eir's penalty charges are so high. I am lucky as I am basically the only person in the house who uses the internet for work and gaming/videos. If there was another member in the household who watches lots of video content the FUP would be smashed each month.
    which ISP have you decided to go with Gonzo.

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »

I haven't totally decided on moving yet. I'm very happy with the performance of Eir's network, it's just the FUP which is the only downside. Problems with the F2000 seems to have resolved a few months ago with a firmware update. If I am going to move it would be a decision between Digiweb and Airwire. I've yet to see ping/speedtests from those ISP's over OpenEir's network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

I’m genuinely concerned now about the FUP, I got some Nest cameras recently and they are uploading about 500GB a month and total usage is around 700-800GB a month now as a result.

Hopefully they will address this in the coming months just in time before I reach 1TB. Probably unlikely my usage will change much over the next year that I will exceed 1TB unless I add another camera. I can always lower the quality of the streams but don’t want to have to do that.

By this time next year when my contract is up I’d fully expect that both Sky and Vodafone will be selling on the network as they will have passed about at least 250k homes at that stage and it’s just to big of a pot for either to give up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Don't limit yourself to the big providers. Some have no limit or 2tb etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

rob808 wrote: »

I haven't totally decided on moving yet. I'm very happy with the performance of Eir's network, it's just the FUP which is the only downside. Problems with the F2000 seems to have resolved a few months ago with a firmware update. If I am going to move it would be a decision between Digiweb and Airwire. I've yet to see ping/speedtests from those ISP's over OpenEir's network.

Hi Gonzo

Do you have to log into F2000 to force firmware update?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Hi Gonzo

Do you have to log into F2000 to force firmware update?

Thanks

No. All updates are pushed automatically from eir over TR-069 (CWMP) so there is no user intervention needed. The latest firmware for the F2000 is: V100R001C59B036

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Loads of poles replaced in our area last week, and a KN van was up on a hoist outside our house earlier. Fitting this bit of cable, and also the black thing. has this got to do with fibre or something else?

If it is fibre related, where am I on the timeline? Close to activation?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Loads of poles replaced in our area last week, and a KN van was up on a hoist outside our house earlier. Fitting this bit of cable, and also the black thing. has this got to do with fibre or something else?

If it is fibre related, where am I on the timeline? Close to activation?

The black thing is copper cable related, not fibre. The Fibre connection boxes look like this.

Many months can pass between poles being replaced and fibre being strung. It was about a year in my case. Boxes are now on the poles and have been for weeks but still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

cnocbui wrote: »
    The black thing is copper cable related, not fibre. The Fibre connection boxes look like this.

Many months can pass between poles being replaced and fibre being strung. It was about a year in my case. Boxes are now on the poles and have been for weeks but still nothing.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Sneem Road out of Kenmare has the splitter boxes on poles as far as Pat Spillane's pub near Templenoe. A crew with 3 vans (Eir itself for a change) is out everyday working that patch.

Not sure which exchange serves that part of the road. Certainly the Balckwater Bridge exchange used to have a microwave dish attached and that is now gone.

There are lots of roads done out of Kenmare in the Kilgarvan direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

KOR101 wrote: »
    Not sure which exchange serves that part of the road. Certainly the Balckwater Bridge exchange used to have a microwave dish attached and that is now gone.

Probably Killarney. Kenmare isn't BMB enabled.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

That right there is an issue. If you PM me your Eircode, I can have a looksie, what it should be for your address.

I just want to thank @Airwire:MartinL for his excellent investigative work on my behalf.

Shows the benefit of the smaller local providers, I’d highly recommend supporting the smaller guys for excellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KOR101 wrote: »
    Certainly the Balckwater Bridge exchange used to have a microwave dish attached and that is now gone.

Thats a sign of NGNification. Usually a subtended exchange becoming a standalone unit and joining the 21st century ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Hi guys just wondering about how Eir set up ftth in villages. I persume people in the village are on fttc with speeds up to 100mb. And then ftth is used for houses outside the village. Or am I wrong and houses in the village are also connected to ftth

eamo22 wrote: »
    Hi guys just wondering about how Eir set up ftth in villages. I persume people in the village are on fttc with speeds up to 100mb. And then ftth is used for houses outside the village. Or am I wrong and houses in the village are also connected to ftth

Look at the map on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

Generally, if OpenEIR deployed a VDSL cab, anyone within 500m of that only can avail of FTTC/VDSL. If you're more than 500m from the VDSL cab, then you're most likely either covered by FTTH ... or ADSL1, maybe 2 .. or nothing.

Unless you're lucky to have alternative providers.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

eamo22 wrote: »

That would be typical in most villages. FTTC rollout happened between 2010 and 2015. FTTH rollout begun approximately 18 months ago and is aimed at premises where the FTTC technology has no real benefit. Ocasionally very small villages that don't have their own exchange and a larger village nearby have an FTTH equipped exchange will then have have FTTH connections.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've been working on a coverage check tool. The design is pretty basic currently.

FTTC data is patchy at best at the moment, as a lot of VDSL isn't coded by Eircode.

OpenEIR FTTH is spot on and updated weekly.

SIRO only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise and Sligo.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Hope it helps.

Lately, the fibrerollout.ie map doesn't show map data anymore at certain zoom levels or it just takes a long time to load.

Anyone else seeing that problem ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Thanks for replys guys. Definitely more than 500m from the exchange. Just I no a couple in another Village that get fttc and ftth is further out. Everything is done here except the fibre on the poles. Boxes are up, poles replaced and ditches cut back last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Borrisoleigh (Nenagh side) today. Still haven’t started work on the Thurles side yet.

• Advertisement

Borrisoleigh (Nenagh side) today. Still haven’t started work on the Thurles side yet.

That is the sort of view you want to have though.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement