Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

A fridge isn't a particularly high load device and the couple of watts the ONT uses is unlikely to make any difference.

The dual socket the fridge and freezer are on is more than 1m from the wall the ONT is likely to be installed on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    The dual socket the fridge and freezer are on is more than 1m from the wall the ONT is likely to be installed on

Zones in houses generally run off the same line (if I'm understanding what you are trying to say) e.g. upstairs lights are one circuit, downstairs light another circuit, then you could have other circuits powering sockets in a few rooms, bathroom/s would be their own circuit etc

You are probably fine but chat with the tech and come to some sort of common solution that works for both of you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »
    Nothing .. and it's even tidier these days ... The cradle is the ODP.

45042802534_cdf472e50b_b.jpg

So all that sits on the wall is that cradle having all the ODP components and then the ONT sitting inside that.

/M

Ha , tidier he says :D ... Oh for the day soon they start using combined ont and wireless router in one unit ...

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Ha , tidier he says :D ... Oh for the day soon they start using combined ont and wireless router in one unit ...

Only way that will happen is if the Operator is resposnible for the ONT. While Openeir are terminating their network at the ONT, they are never going to force the Operators to use a specific router by combining it in the ONT.

It would be like telling Digiweb/Airwire/etc, they can't supply their Fritzbox anymore, because Openeir have decided they are using a combined ONT & Router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

_sheep wrote: »
    So today 7/11/18 ordering is live for me and my mate who are in houses side by side. He went with eir and me with airwire. He got his appointment this morning from Eir that his install will be Monday AM 12/11/18 and I'm still waiting for notification.

Airwire called with my install date, which is Tuesday AM 13/11/18 (i requested an AM specifically) so only a day after my eir neighbour - only reason mine was slightly behind was because airwire weren't setup (i think) on my rural exchange in Tipperary so I think that meant they had a little extra work to do.

My experience with airwire so far has been them in full contact with me before I even have a chance to ring/email them, thumbs up so far.

• Advertisement

Only way that will happen is if the Operator is resposnible for the ONT. While Openeir are terminating their network at the ONT, they are never going to force the Operators to use a specific router by combining it in the ONT.

It would be like telling Digiweb/Airwire/etc, they can't supply their Fritzbox anymore, because Openeir have decided they are using a combined ONT & Router.

i'd say (if the ONT with combined wireless router was reliable enough / strong wireless signal) it would be fine for most people's purpose.

then if ISP's still want to supply fritz box offer it as an upgrade and just get people to turn off the wireless of the supplied ONT/wireless router and go through the fritz box or whatever the ISP has supplied

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

i'd say (if the ONT with combined wireless router was reliable enough / strong wireless signal) it would be fine for most people's purpose.

then if ISP's still want to supply fritz box offer it as an upgrade and just get people to turn off the wireless of the supplied ONT/wireless router and go through the fritz box or whatever the ISP has supplied

It adds cost to the already costly installation. The answer is simply NO ! Also .. none of the providers have access to configure anything in the ONT. They are not even able to query the link speed of the LAN port for diagnostics. Nevermind OpenEIR letting them configure something.

It's the official demark. And OpenEIR will not give anyone access to it. End of story.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hi all,

I am having issues with my FTTH. On the Huawei optical network terminal the LOS part is flashing red. Just wondering if any of ye have come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I am having issues with my FTTH. On the Huawei optical network terminal the LOS part is flashing red. Just wondering if any of ye have come across this?

It typically means, that there is a problem between the ONT and the OLT in the exchange.

You will need to contact your provider and report it as a fault.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Let's not go round in circles again with the combo ont/router discussion.
    The only positive is one less power cable and there are too many negatives for me to list them all again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Just to give some balance from the mostly negative posts lately around installs, I’d like to give my positive one to give people some hope! :)

From KN road crews coming around to having it live in my house took ~11 weeks.

The Fibre rollout map was saying “First half 2018” this time last year but early this year it moved to “Autumn/Winter 2018” and they’ve hit that target, for me anyway.

Here are my timelines….
    Day 0 - KN vans around finding/opening manhole covers etc which had been partially tarred over and they put in some draw cables for the underground sections. I spoke to these guys and they are like a "clearing crew" to prep the run for the guys who sling up the actual cable.
    Day 14 - Nothing seen for 2 weeks and then fibre cable being pushed in.
    Day 26 - Fibre cable on the pole outside my house, which is the last on the line (Phew!)
    Day 28 - DP’s appearing
    Day 36 - All DP’s up.
    Day 49 - Airwire checker shows my Eircode as going live in 4 weeks time
    Day 76 - Ordered on the date that Airwire checker gave.
    Day 78 - OpenEir called to arrange an appointment for install for a few days time
    Day 81 - KN arrived to install at 2pm and left at 6pm.

I showed him what I wanted. He terminated one end of the cable out of the back of his van (seemed to take quite a while - hour or so) and he put it in the DP. I pulled the cable with him and we had it at the ONT point in about 15mins I’d say. I had put draw strings already in place in the ducts a few months previously so it was simple and he was very appreciative of the prep being done beforehand. This is clearly an important step for a clean first time install.
    I bought the 4mm version of this a few months previously to check the duct and to get draw strings in...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323323024988

As it turned out I was lucky as he needed extra time to get it working. He struggled to get a good signal on the cable once he had it terminated in the house. Its manual splicing. Eventually he figured out the other end, at the DP, was at fault and had to re-splice that. He actually spent more time splicing than anything else!

Overall it took him 4hrs onsite and all is well since.

Other details for the nerds....
    - I got one of the cradle ODP's with the ONT sitting into it, like Marlow posted a few posts back.... The ONT itself is a Huawei "Echo Life HG8010H GPON Terminal"
    - The fibre cable into the house is fairly strong stuff. Part number on it is Acome 1XG657A2
    - The connectors have Dexgreen documentation on them (SC/APC SM G657A2 SX 2.6mm 100mm) so I guess they are buying these here:
    https://www.dexgreenconnect.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=263&product_id=54

Best of luck to those waiting. Its worth the wait!

tuxy wrote: »
    The only positive is one less power cable and there are too many negatives for me to list them all again.

i werent intended to start up the convo again.

was just saying like that there could be as many positives to having an all in one ONT/Router and not just from the one less cable / power supply aspect of it.

However I see it seems to be such a sore point with people on here even though ONT's with built in wireless are manufactured and must be used in other countries otherwise they wouldnt bother manufacturing them

Last word on it anyway

Hi all,

might be a lost connection in the fibre cable from the ODP to ONT - some people have said they have knocked it whilst doing hoovering

was going to say if you can take the fibre cable out of the ont socket and see if there is a light showing (dont look at it directly because its laser - shine it onto a blank piece of a4 white paper)

However - people on here i think were saying its fibre optic light is in the invisible laser range so you cannot see the light . - But be handy if you could and save a call to technical services and hanging on the line to report it or waiting for an engineer to come out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Unfortunately no light from it.

Engineer will be out in up to 3 days :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

Use a smart phone camera to check light - dont look directly at it

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

The first shipment of Fritz!Box 7530 has arrived.

45782376981_5075fbeef1_c.jpg

Left to right: 7530, 7560, 7590.

They are basically the same router as the 7560, but with supervectoring 35b and in the new case. They are also slightly smaller than the 7560.

We will be testing these in the next week and they will then replace the 7430, 4040 and 7560 once stocks are gone. We can offer these at the same price level as the 7430 and 4040.

Pending performance tests, we may still keep the 7560 for Gbit/s FTTH around for a while.

Just a sneak peak, of what is coming. And yes, they can also be got in black. It's a special order, but we will be stocking a few black ones.

Technical specifications: https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-7530/

sorry to hear you have to wait 3 days to get it repaired - 3 days can be crucial to a lot of people if they cannot wait 3 days without internet.

At least with ADSL people would have normally got their internet back quicker so there is that positive. If it was phone line problem or socket you could at least unplug the router and plug it into another phone socket in the house or just pop out and get another router from currys or whatever if the router just packed up

and because a lot of people are getting a VOIP package these days it means if the ONT or ODP is at fault or DP problem on the pole or back at the exchange then they can now be without a landline phone for 3 days or more now if their fibre goes down

DaveR1000 wrote: »
    Use a smart phone camera to check light - dont look directly at it

ah yes, good idea - I forgot about that - I used to check my TV remotes that way to see if they were working

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Got a provisional install appointment for next tuesday, between 1 and 5. Have gone for the 300mb package, 1000mb is, in my case, using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Sometimes it's the premade patch lead yellow lead with green sc connectors. If it's that you may just need to flag down a know van and ask him nicely if he has a spare fibre patch lead.
    It goes without saying but I'll just say it don't touch the tip of either end after pulling off the covers.
    If there's no yellow patch lead then your talking a resplice which you will just have to wait for someone to come resplice it for you. That's assuming it's not broken out on the network.
    The jobs that come out now with the new cradle say not to use the patch lead which in my opinion is a stupid thing to do as a child pulling the ont can end up snapping the network side fibre cable. A fibre cable a foot too short is a cable that will remain a foot too short and could result in replacing the whole cable all the way back to the dp.

• Advertisement

You cannot see the light on the cable. It gets measured on a light meter. Maybe there's some kind of 3d glasses that could see it. I'd assume it's an infrared beam but that conjecture I only know I cannot see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fibre uses infra red wavelengths so invisible to the human eye: http://www.thefoa.org/tech/wavelength.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Lads have started pulling fiber the last few days from the exchange towards my house. Distance of 5 mile. Was giving up hope but now back on track. Mighty.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Fibre uses infra red wavelengths so invisible to the human eye: http://www.thefoa.org/tech/wavelength.htm

thanks, shall have a read of that.

you normally think of laser as being visible. I had a optic lead from my stack system to an amplifier and that had a red light that travelled along the fibre cable and then the lens of a CD / DVD player is red light

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Folks, let's have some common sense here.

If you don't know how to clean a fibre connector, you shouldn't be unplugging the fibre patch lead.

If you don't know that PON uses infrared light that you can't see, you shouldn't be unplugging the fibre patch lead.

If you don't know how to handle a fibre patch lead without damaging it or its connectors, you shouldn't be unplugging the fibre patch lead.

The lights on the ONT provide all the information that's required for your ISP to diagnose and troubleshoot any problems. If more in-depth troubleshooting is called for, it will require equipment that you don't have, don't need and can't afford.

If your FTTH stops working and there are unusual lights on the ONT, call your ISP. It's unlikely in the extreme that you'll make things better by unplugging the fibre patch lead, and there's a fairly decent chance you'll make it worse.

Is there a way to ensure you get the same installer, I had 5 different ones call to me.

No not really it depends who's in the area that day with the run up to Christmas the installs get busier so the techs have less flex to accommodate as their schedules are full up.
    You can try but it could go either way.
    Around April may June there's a lot more room for manuver

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Folks, let's have some common sense here.

If you don't know how to clean a fibre connector, you shouldn't be unplugging the fibre patch lead.

If you don't know that PON uses infrared light that you can't see, you shouldn't be unplugging the fibre patch lead.

If you don't know how to handle a fibre patch lead without damaging it or its connectors, you shouldn't be unplugging the fibre patch lead.

The lights on the ONT provide all the information that's required for your ISP to diagnose and troubleshoot any problems. If more in-depth troubleshooting is called for, it will require equipment that you don't have, don't need and can't afford.

If your FTTH stops working and there are unusual lights on the ONT, call your ISP. It's unlikely in the extreme that you'll make things better by unplugging the fibre patch lead, and there's a fairly decent chance you'll make it worse.

oops - that was all a dig at me .. even though your not mentioning names :)

on another note there is a way of putting a point across in a nicer way

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

oops - that was all a dig at me .. even though your not mentioning names :)

on another note there is a way of putting a point across in a nicer way

It wasn't exactly intended as a dig, more as an attempt to inoculate against bad advice.

I don't mean to offend you, but by your own admission you're not an expert on this stuff. There are experts on this stuff on this forum, so it would be nice to keep the signal:noise as high as possible.

I understand your urge to give advice, and it's commendable - but if you're not sure whether the advice you're giving is good or bad, then it's probably bad and you should wait for someone to come along and give what they know is good advice.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It wasn't exactly intended as a dig, more as an attempt to inoculate against bad advice.

I don't mean to offend you, but by your own admission you're not an expert on this stuff. There are experts on this stuff on this forum, so it would be nice to keep the signal:noise as high as possible.

I understand your urge to give advice, and it's commendable - but if you're not sure whether the advice you're giving is good or bad, then it's probably bad and you should wait for someone to come along and give what they know is good advice.

fair enough - was meant to be helpful , checking that the problem wasnt with the patch cable coming loose or something rather than waiting days for an engineer to come out and sort it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

I've said this a few months ago but I believe that either SIRO or OpenEir will offer a combined ONT/Router in the next 1-2 years.

The major operators like Vodafone and Sky will push for this, with OpenEir and SIRO set to compete in the same locations from next year this could be seen as a good reason for Sky for example to choose one wholesaler over the other if price is the same.

in fact you can get pluggable ONTs that are basically an SFP that can just slot into a router. Once these become more mass market the wholesaler could issue these as the ONT and still have control and diagnostics from the ONT. It would be a much neater solution and the problems with demarcation points can be overcome with agreement within the industry. This will become a more common approach once XGSPON comes mainstream.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement