Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

what technically stops a new ONT being registered onto an OLT - is it done automatically or by human - if an ONT does not register on an OLT and you have no service, can you put the original ONT back on and get service back without engineer calling out? - a little bit more explanaition and I might get my head around it all, why a new ONT will not work rather than saying it wont work or "you are not allowed to do it"

- OpenEIR has a database of all ONTs that they purchased from Huawei (serial-numbers and passwords)
    - When a batch of ONTs get handed to an engineer, this stock gets allocated to that engineer and that engineer only.
    - Only that engineer can provision the ONTs that are in his stock portfolio.

Even if an engineer got hold of another ONT somewhere, the quality checks and database in place would prevent him from provisioning another ONT, than the ones he's been allocated with.

Seen it happen. More than once. Especially when the engineer got new stock and it wasn't allocated to him yet.

Both OpenEIR AND SIRO are that serious about the quality of their FTTH network. Because one dodgy ONT could kill 32 lines. In one go.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »
    - OpenEIR has a database of all ONTs that they purchased from Huawei (serial-numbers and passwords)
    - When a batch of ONTs get handed to an engineer, this stock gets allocated to that engineer and that engineer only.
    - Only that engineer can provision the ONTs that are in his stock portfolio.

Even if an engineer got hold of another ONT somewhere, the quality checks and database in place would prevent him from provisioning another ONT, than the ones he's been allocated with.

Seen it happen. More than once. Especially when the engineer got new stock and it wasn't allocated to him yet.

Both OpenEIR AND SIRO are that serious about the quality of their FTTH network. Because one dodgy ONT could kill 32 lines. In one go.

/M

thank you , thats a bit clearer now . am getting the info in dribs and drabs . why is that do you know? , do you know way they operate that way? - is it to stop an engineer or anyone else putting on a rogue ONT unit from god knows where and do other countries operate their FTTH network system like this or is it just Ireland / OE do you know?

why is that do you know?

Because one dodgy ONT could kill 32 lines. In one go. !!!!!!!!!!

An ISP or Operator tests a certain amount of equipment. The less stock they have to keep and the more volume they buy, the cheaper they get it. Of one item !!! .. if they buy all kinds of different stuff it gets real expensive.

It's extremely simple economics. If you don't like it, start rolling out your own FTTH network.

Or apply for a job in OpenEIR, that lets you make the decisions to change this. Don't think you'd survive long though, because the profits would go way down.

/M

Because one dodgy ONT could kill 32 lines. In one go. !!!!!!!!!!

An ISP or Operator tests a certain amount of equipment. The less stock they have to keep and the more volume they buy, the cheaper they get it. Of one item !!! .. if they buy all kinds of different stuff it gets real expensive.

It's extremely simple economics. If you don't like it, start rolling out your own FTTH network.

Or apply for a job in OpenEIR, that lets you make the decisions to change this. Don't think you'd survive long though, because the profits would go way down.

/M

its not the case of 'not liking it' its just difficult to get my head around that there are neater combined ONT / wireless routers out there on the market but OE is not (well yet) entertaining using them - the HG8245 I have seen for sale cannot be classed as 'rogue' ONT's surely and openeir have been using Huawei devices all over the shop on their networks and infrastructures and I think even the existing ONT is made by Huawei isnt it? - and the f2000 an eir badged Huawei HG659B router and the previous eir router was HG658c made by Huawei - so surely it would not cost them a lot to test out the HG 8245 ONT/Wi-Fi router and buy them in bulk .. but then again its the ISP's that are supplying the wi-fi routers

If OE haven't tested it, it's not going to happen.

It's all about economics. It's not only the neatness of the unit. It's the price per unit and the engineering time (which costs a lot) to test these units. And those are not small amounts of money.

The more units you test, the more you have to support. Cost of running the network goes up.

And OpenEIRs network was build as a wholesale network. The ONT with Wifi build in is designed for networks that do not accomodate wholesale.

Bottom line is: The ONT belongs to OpenEIR. If you mess with it, you pay. If OpenEIR still was a state owned incumbent, you could be dragged to court for messing with it. (interference with telecoms infrastructure).

You theories have no place here. It's best if you start a new thread about them, if you want to continue this. It's not helping anybody.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you are that hung up on lack of neatness and not liking how the providers are doing things, you always have the option of not ordering fibre.

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you are that hung up on lack of neatness and not liking how the providers are doing things, you always have the option of not ordering fibre.

ah now - I dont feel that strongly or hung up about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

not at all about pricing - say if the customer didnt like the look of the ISP supplied wireless router :) .. or felt that there existing router performed better than the supplied ISP router (yes I know these ones supplied for FTTH are supposed to be far reaching signal and very reliable units you just plug in and forget about) but still I just wondered what would happen if you wanted to use your existing one for some reason.

Don't like the look?! [Picard Face Palm] The ONT is part of the network! "North of the demarc". (Google that phrase). Not yours to mess with.

Try telling the ESB that you want to replace the 63A fuse or the meter for something tidier.

Or giving out about the equipment to a home worker on 1M DSL trying to get a job with Apple.

Just move on and drop this thing about the appearance of the equipment. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Wait until Andy actually gets it installed and then starts posting here...

On another note

Only one in seven rural households accept high-speed broadband from Eir

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/only-one-in-seven-rural-households-accept-high-speed-broadband-from-eir-884253.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninkel

Such laboured nothings, in so strange a style
    Amaze the unlearned, and make the learned smile.

Alexander Pope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

MBSnr wrote: »

dosnt mention what number of the other 6 are with other providers

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

seems to be quite low uptake numbers. is it a lack of knowledge that its available to people?

eir can't even maintain the rollout map sufficiently

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

BArra wrote: »
    seems to be quite low uptake numbers. is it a lack of knowledge that its available to people?

Definitely lack of knowledge and awareness is a big part of it.
    My in-laws line was enabled for FTTH about 1 year ago. They didn't know about it until I checked their line while checking mine a few months ago. As soon as I told them they ordered. And after they ordered, their neighbours ordered. None of them were aware that their exchange was live.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I can only talk about my area and it went live in early October.

I got no notification from any provider about it, even though I was signed up to be notified by a couple of providers.

Nobody from eir etc going door to door or anything.

I only got it in when I got it in caus I have been keeping an eye on it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Indifference as well. All my neighbours have sub 5Mb ADSL1. One is probably happy enough as it does him for all his basic needs. Another is waiting until out of contract. The last one has young kids using tablets etc and has complained about how bad his internet is, isn't in contract, but hasn't ordered FTTH yet and it's been available to order since 1st Aug... Go figure.

I'm seeing on average about 1 cable into each DP around my area. So a guess of around 25% take up if there's 4 ports. I can only assume that it'll increase a little as others reach the end of their contracts but I'd doubt they run out of DP ports any time soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

The connection boxes went up on the poles near me a couple of weeks ago. The poles were replaced about this time last year or earlier.

guys just pulling underground fibre to poles today, few more months to rock 1Gbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

fritzelly wrote: »
    But I am so sick of reading about routers in this thread.
    Yes, Andy you've swamped this thread with posts. I'm not saying it's not related, but you should start a separate thread on routers for FTTH and leave this thread to the basics of where, when and how.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,373 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys my area is supposed to getting Eir Fibre

VMVZkXM.png

V4BGK40.png

I like to keep an eye on developments and it's always has the same status of 2nd half of this year.

It's November now and I live near the exchange and there's no work on it yet.

Slightly worrying.

I was originally due for Autumn, 2017. It wasn't available till basically end of Spring of 2018.

brianbruff wrote: »
    guys just pulling underground fibre to poles today, few more months to rock 1Gbps

Unless you have some extraordinary need, there is no point in paying more for 1 Gbps. Very few bits of the internet can feed you at that speed, and most can't even match the the basic 150 Mbps basic package rate.

• Advertisement

Unless you have some extraordinary need, there is no point in paying more for 1 Gbps. Very few bits of the internet can feed you at that speed, and most can't even match the the basic 150 Mbps basic package rate.

Some people need the upload.

/M

KOR101 wrote: »
    Yes, Andy you've swamped this thread with posts. I'm not saying it's not related, but you should start a separate thread on routers for FTTH and leave this thread to the basics of where, when and how.

am thinking of starting my own thread on it .. but I have already got off my chest about it all in this thread because this is FTTH thread and I was talking about FTTH ONT and not just about wireless broadband routers I thought it was more related to this thread than just discussing on the routers thread - how wrong was I?

I didnt even read the part on the beginning of this thread about "you are not to mention about equipment used in FTTH installations" and can only discuss basics of where, when and how .

cannot believe how some people have got their backs up about it to be honest. Its only a discussion - the way some people have gone on is like I want to bring the whole Gpon network down in Ireland they have got so upset about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gofree

Hi,

We are living along a narrow country road, the fibre passes along the road overhead on poles and continues another 300 meters up the road and doesn't go any further. There is a black box right outside my house, there are 4 houses here, and another black box up the road for another 2 houses where the fibre line stops on the map.

We are all eligible for FTTH, four of the six including myself have applied and have had failed installation for no light at the box. I had my own own installation in October, as the KN guy was waiting on a hoist he done all the work on the property, cable through underground ducting and in to the house all I need is a modem everything ok here. However when he went on the pole he couldn't get a signal at the black box. He said it was up to openeir to fix the fault. The fault is located between this black box and the next black box which is located 300 meters down the same road. This black box is working.

Turns out the problem is a damaged fibre cable due to forestry work. This is located around 100 metres from my house down the road between two poles. See Pictures. The fibre is the top cable. (1534 AERIAL 2017 ACOME G652 OPENEIR)

The next black box which is working is located down the same road around 300 meters from my house where there is another 4 houses, and a house was successfully connected there.

Does anyone know is this an easy problem to fix and the cost to eir? There are six houses eligible for fibre effected by this. The cable runs down overhead on about 10 poles the damage between poles 4 and 5. Can this be reattached to the pole or joined? Do they have to replace the entire 300 metres of cable? Am I correct in saying this is one continuous cable between the black boxes or does it go further? Also looks like there is a reel of cable in the black boxes what is this for? Sorry a lot of questions not an expert in this, just want some level of knowledge when I am talking to eir. Also will eir even fix this, they have a contract with the government right to bring fibre to all these houses?

[IMG][/img]DSC00181a.jpg

[IMG][/img]DSC00186aa.jpg

[IMG][/img]DSC00189aaa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I can only talk about my area and it went live in early October.

I got no notification from any provider about it, even though I was signed up to be notified by a couple of providers.

Nobody from eir etc going door to door or anything.

I only got it in when I got it in caus I have been keeping an eye on it for years.

Same here. In fact if I was relying on eirs website, Id still not have it, only for Airwire made the connection happen for me.

Some people need the upload.

/M

I suspect it's more a want than a need. At 30 Mbps my upload speed is now about 5 times faster than my old download speed. At that speed I can upload over 300 GB in 24 hours and so exceed the 1 TB fair usage in about 3 days. If someone is running a business from home or working from home and absolutely needs to upload very large files quickly, then yes they would have a need, but their fair usage limit is then going to be a problem. Even with a tame game developer ensconced in a bedroom I don't 'need' more than 30 Mbps.

Your first problem is, that you went with a provider, that has a fair use policy that low.

I use the 100 Mbit/s upload on a daily basis. That's of course working from home.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Headshot wrote: »

VMVZkXM.png

V4BGK40.png

I like to keep an eye on developments and it's always has the same status of 2nd half of this year.

Slightly worrying.
    Did you go on the Airwire website and put your eircode in their "availability checker"? It might give you a possible date. That's how I found out a date for my connection.

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Headshot wrote: »

Slightly worrying.

Yeah OpenEir informed me there was an update due on their website today - haven't spotted it yet. They have been missing lots of targets to date - so none of this surprises me anymore. Read another post on here talking about how quick it was at 11 weeks from first sighting of a KN van - the whole thing doesn't fill me with hope. :(

I suspect it's more a want than a need. At 30 Mbps my upload speed is now about 5 times faster than my old download speed. At that speed I can upload over 300 GB in 24 hours and so exceed the 1 TB fair usage in about 3 days. If someone is running a business from home or working from home and absolutely needs to upload very large files quickly, then yes they would have a need, but their fair usage limit is then going to be a problem. Even with a tame game developer ensconced in a bedroom I don't 'need' more than 30 Mbps.

is there a 'fair usage limit' on the upload though? - I thought that fair usage limit worked for downloads only?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's combined usage with all the providers I can think of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement