Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

is there a 'fair usage limit' on the upload though? - I thought that fair usage limit worked for downloads only?

Fair usage ... with most providers that have it .. is for all traffic .. so download + upload combined.

Again: be specific. There is no ONE answer for all providers. So you'd have to specify which provider you are referring to.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Broadband low uptake: - cannot be just to do with awareness and that people not realise its live in their area - not just that I particularly think.

Its not cheap and its not a necessity with a lot of people. - still most charging the 129euro just for the installation and packaged going up to full price in 6months or 12months (sometimes around 60eur for the cheapest package)

It has taken so many years to materialise with a lot of people that they are/were either fed up waiting for fibre brodband to come to them that they most probably think we will just stick with what we have and make do, we have been putting up with it this long and getting on OK . -

If a majority of people were getting 24mbps ADSL that would have been / still fine for a lot of people who just want to go on social media / check emails and the like ... so why would they upgrade to 150mbps FTTH as the minimum speed

Marlow wrote: »
    Fair usage ... with most providers that have it .. is for all traffic .. so download + upload combined.

Again: be specific. There is no ONE answer for all providers. So you'd have to specify which provider you are referring to.

/M

I have always steered clear of packages that say fair usage applies and gone for 'unlimited' - that goes for mobile phone data plans I have ever got as well

- mind you saying that .. even on 'unlimited plans' - when I have read the tiny writing it still says '*fair usage applies'

- mind you saying that .. even on 'unlimited plans' - when I have read the tiny writing it still says '*fair usage applies'

It's that tiny little writing, that's the important bit. Unlimited tells you nothing !. Very few providers don't have a fair use policy and specify clear limits, where they do exist.

Only 3 or 4 come to mind.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Then it gets more confusing with some providers enforcing the fup and other chosing not to.

I don't think there is a mobile provider without a fup. 3 has a fup of 15GB yet I know many people that use 100's of GB evert month on the 3 network without any issue. Well except for the issue that the network tends to be heavily congested at peak times.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Then it gets more confusing with some providers enforcing the fup and other chosing not to.

I don't think there is a mobile provider without a fup. 3 has a fup of 15GB yet I know many people that use 100's of GB evert month on the 3 network without any issue.

That's because in such a case, the FUP has been put in place to safeguard losses.

Basically: if it takes overhand, they'll just start enforcing it. As a consumer, you're just chancing your arm by signing up for a provider like that.

Three is actually a very good example. When they started their 750GB data sub, they specified clearly 750GB limit. But hey .. that was too hard to sell, so now it's back to "Unlimited" with a 750GB fair use policy.

Again. This is an issue for the ASAI. The same as selling VDSL and LTE as "fibre" or "fibre powered". But the ASAI is not interested.

/M

I don't think there is a mobile provider without a fup. 3 has a fup of 15GB yet I know many people that use 100's of GB evert month on the 3 network without any issue. Well except for the issue that the network tends to be heavily congested at peak times.

i thought - well according to the 3 adverts, its "all you can eat Data"

i thought - well according to the 3 adverts, its "all you can eat Data"

It is, in the exact same way all the other services advertised as unlimited but also has a FUP burred in the contract.

The ISP convinces the regulator that this advertising is ok by showing statistics of the average user(probably something like 2-4gb on mobile) so then it make their FUP look fair.

The ISP convinces the regulator

The ISP doesn't need to convince the regulator. The regulator doesn't regulate anything.

And the ASAI doesn't pick up on it either.

It's just the way things are.

/M

I see, so like this

https://www.asai.ie/complaint/telecommunications-41/

All the advertiser has to do is not respond to the complaint.

ASAIs conclusion is just a recommendation and has no basis in law?

• Advertisement

Does anyone else who went for an overhead install get anxiety when they look out the window and see this?

1b7036755135455a2e56d925f246fe6c.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

If it comes down they have to replace it so better than no fiber! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would have, until I discovered just how much Dyneema/Spectra and kevlar make up that cable.

Now I am cautiously optimistic.

Unfortunately I think the cables are strung far too tight in many places and that the next time we have 160+ kph winds the top of the poles are going to whip around and snap cables in places.

Someone said they recently started using stronger cable. My install was before this with different cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

gofree wrote: »
    Hi,

We are living along a narrow country road, the fibre passes along the road overhead on poles and continues another 300 meters up the road and doesn't go any further. There is a black box right outside my house, there are 4 houses here, and another black box up the road for another 2 houses where the fibre line stops on the map.

We are all eligible for FTTH, four of the six including myself have applied and have had failed installation for no light at the box. I had my own own installation in October, as the KN guy was waiting on a hoist he done all the work on the property, cable through underground ducting and in to the house all I need is a modem everything ok here. However when he went on the pole he couldn't get a signal at the black box. He said it was up to openeir to fix the fault. The fault is located between this black box and the next black box which is located 300 meters down the same road. This black box is working.

Turns out the problem is a damaged fibre cable due to forestry work. This is located around 100 metres from my house down the road between two poles. See Pictures. The fibre is the top cable. (1534 AERIAL 2017 ACOME G652 OPENEIR)

The next black box which is working is located down the same road around 300 meters from my house where there is another 4 houses, and a house was successfully connected there.

Does anyone know is this an easy problem to fix and the cost to eir? There are six houses eligible for fibre effected by this. The cable runs down overhead on about 10 poles the damage between poles 4 and 5. Can this be reattached to the pole or joined? Do they have to replace the entire 300 metres of cable? Am I correct in saying this is one continuous cable between the black boxes or does it go further? Also looks like there is a reel of cable in the black boxes what is this for? Sorry a lot of questions not an expert in this, just want some level of knowledge when I am talking to eir. Also will eir even fix this, they have a contract with the government right to bring fibre to all these houses?

The whole section of broken cable will likely have to be replaced and spliced into the DPs (black boxes). It's probably a few hours work. They are so busy with other areas though I would not hold your breath. If it were a live cable that had come down there would be regulatory obligations on them to fix it but from what you say there were no live connections on it.

Someone said they recently started using stronger cable. My install was before this with different cable.

There is a steelwire in that earlier flimsy cable. It should be alright.
    The whole section of broken cable will likely have to be replaced and spliced into the DPs (black boxes). It's probably a few hours work. They are so busy with other areas though I would not hold your breath. If it were a live cable that had come down there would be regulatory obligations on them to fix it but from what you say there were no live connections on it.

There's also the issue, that a license from the council is needed to fix it, which may delay things are nobody was connected to the DP yet.

/M

Does anyone else who went for an overhead install get anxiety when they look out the window and see this?

1b7036755135455a2e56d925f246fe6c.png

that seem a long distance to have OH fibre from pole to gable

50 metres is the max officially allowed by openeir. In my case I suspect they made an exception and it's more like 60 metres.

50 metres is the max officially allowed by openeir. In my case I suspect they made an exception and it's more like 60 metres.

true - it does look more than 50 meters in that photo for sure

They don't actually measure it so it's more of a guideline, it's up to the field tech to make the call on if the install is viable. The cable is also going under some power cables and it was also up to the same tech to decide if that was safe or not.
    Some of the others that called were not happy with everything but the last guy decided he wanted to get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 gofree

There is a steelwire in that earlier flimsy cable. It should be alright.

There's also the issue, that a license from the council is needed to fix it, which may delay things are nobody was connected to the DP yet.

/M

Thanks for the replies will keep the pressure on them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

That looks like a 60m overhead drop alright but nobody was gonna go through the bother of requesting a pole for a spacing of 10m
    The steel wire will hold up. I dunno why everyone is calling the old cable flimsy I think the new Kevlar wire is flimsy.
    The steel wire fibre yes if rubbing continuously against something could chew through the thick jacket (but that's a fierce amount of mechanical weathering)
    The new cable is even softer. It has a 1/4mm thick Kevlar jacket with two braided string fused inside the Kevlar. If it bends sharply it could kink and crack the fibre inside. Not entirely likely but far more likely to occur than with the old overhead cable.
    Is that overhead fibre lower than the power line wouldn't be exactly to standard if the wind whips the fibre with steel at the power lines and creates a light show possibly melting the soffit and fascia board

They don't actually measure it so it's more of a guideline, it's up to the field tech to make the call on if the install is viable. The cable is also going under some power cables and it was also up to the same tech to decide if that was safe or not.
    Some of the others that called were not happy with everything but the last guy decided he wanted to get paid.

They have measurements in the database, which are a desktop exercise. They aren't accurate. But if those figures are over 50m, then it's a no go. Otherwise it's up to the installer.

/M

They have measurements in the database, which are a desktop exercise. They aren't accurate. But if those figures are over 50m, then it's a no go. Otherwise it's up to the installer.

/M

I'd have no issues with a fibre drop at 60m as it's lighter and stronger with a copper drop it's heavy and will stretch and sag lower. You don't want to be thinking of a cable strung along the side of a road catching on a trucks upward exhaust in weeks after stringing it.
    There are guidelines about power lines that would be more of an issue with this install. For unshielded power lines 600mm below. For parallel power lines I think it's 1.3m below for high tension 3m below.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Is that overhead fibre lower than the power line wouldn't be exactly to standard if the wind whips the fibre with steel at the power lines and creates a light show possibly melting the soffit and fascia board

Yeah the dual power lines you see in the picture runs above the fibre line.

Yeah the dual power lines you see in the picture runs above the fibre line.

Did he bring it down a bit.

Bring it down by adding slack to the fibre line? There is a good bit of slack.

It's all the slack that makes it go all over the place in stormy weather and has me worried but it's held up fine so far.

It's all the slack that makes it go all over the place in stormy weather and has me worried but it's held up fine so far.

That's the part Id be worried about can it touch the power lines. When it blows. Can the fibre hit the power lines. As for wind stretching the fibre I wouldn't worry about that it's light and very strong.the armid yarn is so hard to cut with a shears that it needs to be cut with an extremely sharp heavy duty scissors. Steel cutting pliers aren't up to it and take several snips to cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

cnocbui wrote: »
    Unless you have some extraordinary need, there is no point in paying more for 1 Gbps. Very few bits of the internet can feed you at that speed, and most can't even match the the basic 150 Mbps basic package rate.

tnx for advise, have use cases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement