Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I had an install before where the ont did not activate even though there was light. I was getting signal and the Mac address of the ont was put in and came up as successfully connected. The Pon light just kept blinking and another installer had the same issue in the same estate. Was this an issue with the olt or the ports got connected up to the wrong DPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
    Unless you have some extraordinary need...
    brianbruff wrote: »
    tnx for advise, have use cases.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I have signed up for FTTH: I just got a text from the ISP, saying to be available on next Tuesday morning for an "engineers visit".

I presume an Engineer from OpenEir. Is he coming to install it or just to inspect it and (hopefully) give the all-clear for an installation crew to come at a later date?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If no problems he will install it there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have signed up for FTTH: I just got a text from the ISP, saying to be available on next Tuesday morning for an "engineers visit".

I presume an Engineer from OpenEir. Is he coming to install it or just to inspect it and (hopefully) give the all-clear for an installation crew to come at a later date?
    I got mine installed this morning. It's KN who do the installs, around here anyway.

• Advertisement

Quick question. I just got my fibre installed. All is well, so far. The only issue is that I signed up for 300mb, but I'm "only" getting around 150mb at the moment. Is this normal when you first connect to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

blueser wrote: »
    Quick question. I just got my fibre installed. All is well, so far. The only issue is that I signed up for 300mb, but I'm "only" getting around 150mb at the moment. Is this normal when you first connect to the router?

Are you plugged into the router or on WiFi? If WiFi it could be the limit of your device or the channel you are connected to

Are you plugged into the router or on WiFi? If WiFi it could be the limit of your device or the channel you are connected to
    I'm on wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I'm on wifi

Try plugging the machine directly into the router and then check the speed.

Try plugging the machine directly into the router and then check the speed.
    I can't. There's no ethernet socket on my laptop.

• Advertisement

If you are using WiFi, make sure you are connecting to the routers 5 GHz access point, not the 2 GHz one. Your device might not have 5 GHz Wifi capability. The best way to tell the true speed is to connect to the router with a decent ethernet cable and the computer has to have a 1 GHz ethernet capability - many would only have 10/100 Mbps ethernet so would be incapable of showing a speed greater than 100 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I can't. There's no ethernet socket on my laptop.

Get a USB3 to Ethernet dongle then. And as others have said, make sure you're connected to 5 GHz.

If they both have the same network name, rename one of them, so that you can force your laptop to stay on 5 GHz. (or 2.4 GHz for that matter, when you need range)

Either way .. any provider will tell you to test on the cable, if you ring with a speed issue.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Are you on a macbook by any chance?

USB-C to Ethernet Adapter, uni USB Type-C to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter Cable [Thunderbolt 3 Compatible] for MacBook Pro, Dell XPS 13/15, Surface Book 2, Pixelbook and More - Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077KXY71Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YwU5Bb1K2S0J1

If it's a Macbook that has thunderbolt, you can get a dongle that will give you gigabit ethernet, but if it has thunderbolt, it will likely have 5 GHz WiFi also which should be good enough.

Marlow wrote: »
    Get a USB3 to Ethernet dongle then. And as others have said, make sure you're connected to 5 GHz.

If they both have the same network name, rename one of them, so that you can force your laptop to stay on 5 GHz. (or 2.4 GHz for that matter, when you need range)

Either way .. any provider will tell you to test on the cable, if you ring with a speed issue.

/M
    Thanks.

Just ran speedtest on my mobile and it's topping out at 156 mb.

What's your upload ? That'll be a better indicator.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    What's your upload ? That'll be a better indicator.

/M
    47.8. I just spoke to Eir's technical support and they said that the only guarantee of full speed is via ethernet, as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

See fiber has being laid some 3 mile already. Not bad since Wednesday. Over half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I have an install booked for next week and have a 40 metre duct running from a pole to the ETU. I hired a cobra reel this morning and it seems that the duct ends at the base of the wall below the ETU itself. I entered the duct at the pole and it appears that the reel is just pushing against the insulation foam between the blocks at the base of the wall.

I have cut away the "floor" of the ETU to confirm that there is no duct up to the ETU. The current phone line is just "loose" in the space between the outer block and the insulation foam as far down as I can shove my forearm.

Will the KN engineer have better equipment to get the cable into the ETU or is this going to be a problem and, if so, what should I do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you can't get thru the duct then highly likely the tech won't as well, have to see on the day but likely lots of debris blocking it

47.8. I just spoke to Eir's technical support and they said that the only guarantee of full speed is via ethernet, as you said.

The upload speed there is the giveaway, that you got the correct package delivered (150 Mbit would only be 30 Mbit up).

So yes .. your problem is more than likely wireless, not the broadband. And that's entirely your own issue.

/M

polaris68 wrote: »
    I have cut away the "floor" of the ETU to confirm that there is no duct up to the ETU. The current phone line is just "loose" in the space between the outer block and the insulation foam as far down as I can shove my forearm.

Will the KN engineer have better equipment to get the cable into the ETU or is this going to be a problem and, if so, what should I do?

That's what we call the dogleg at the etu
    Alot of frustrating fails there. You can hear the rod but less than a meter from the outside.
    You could try blow a ball of foam with twine through duct if there isn't a high rise of water in the middle.
    Otherwise you'll have to break ground at etu and get a short section of pipe. The kn engineer will do exactly what you did and then try from the etu end if he can't get it through either way he'll do a survey and hop in his van and you'll end up having to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

babi-hrse wrote: »
    That's what we call the dogleg at the etu
    Alot of frustrating fails there. You can hear the rod but less than a meter from the outside.
    You could try blow a ball of foam with twine through duct if there isn't a high rise of water in the middle.
    Otherwise you'll have to break ground at etu and get a short section of pipe. The kn engineer will do exactly what you did and then try from the etu end if he can't get it through either way he'll do a survey and hop in his van and you'll end up having to get it done.

Been at it for the last few hours and I end up digging down through the footpath at the base of the wall and the duct actually ended about 15cm from the wall with the phone line exiting into earth/debris, then up through a tiny hole under the cavity block and up into the ETU. I've cleared it all up now and have a duct with two opened ends and have opened a bigger hole under the cavity block.

Does the fibre optic cable "need" another duct or casing to protect it when it will leave the main duct and travels up into the ETU

It's entirely up to you but just to protect it id use a flexible bit of ducting leave it down there and let the install go ahead after it's finished you cover it up. Flexi duct a bit of the hose that feeds the wastewater from the washing machine should do. It doesn't have to be joined, sealed or anything like that it can just go out one into another it'll add a layer of air around it rather than have pointy gravel pressing up against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's a fairly good speed for wifi on mobile are you connected to 2.4 ghz wifi or 5 ghz?

Can you imagine all the people who ordered the special offer 1 gbit with SIRO who are using WIFI devices around the 50 mbit speed mark :)

Edit: You're probably using 5 ghz I think 2.4 ghz usually maxes out at 144 mbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tuxy wrote: »

Edit: You're probably using 5 ghz I think 2.4 ghz usually maxes out at 144 mbit.

Nah, .11N on 2.4 can manage 200+.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

just been reading up about wireless ac routers and the best ones have 4 antennas but to get maximum performance your device must have 4 antennas!

Smartphones: 1 antenna
    USB Adaptors: 1 or 2 antennas
    Tablets: 2 antennas
    Laptops: 2 antennas (occasionally 3 on desktop replacements)
    Desktops: 3 or 4 antennas

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/12/30/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-wifi-whats-the-difference/#393432023957

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ED E wrote: »
    Nah, .11N on 2.4 can manage 200+.

HT40? I don't think any of the routers come with that channel width set as default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Didn’t think they’d do installs on a Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement