Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Actually blueser if your router supports VHT80 I'd recommend trying that to see if you get better speeds on 5ghz. It could also make the connection unstable so just switch back if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Miltiple antennae router 802.11ac mimo think does 600mpbs in response to andy.

The eir f2000 will do the grand on wired no issues.
    Wireless I have seen it range from 160mpbs to 60mpbs right next to the router obviously it depends on what the device can support and how many walls in the house. I know all of you know this but I'm just stating it for those who browse the page who don't i have to explain this quite often when I finish an installation as if the router does not give 1000mpbs over wireless I must have done something wrong and need to fix it.

chris_ie wrote: »
    Didn’t think they’d do installs on a Saturday.

They do. But these are usually in the blind the customer may be contacted during the Saturday and asked listen you have an install sheduled for Tuesday but there's a tech in the area and he can do it today if your available in the next hour or so. If it doesn't suit you will have your Tuesday appointment. Sometimes it suits them sometimes it doesn't it's literally about a hours notice if they're home grand at the very least if there's something wrong with their site a survey will be done and they can attempt to rectify it rather than having taken a days annual leave off for 20minutes of a visit to have a blocked duct.

The f2000 is 3x3 mimo on 5ghz and 2x2 on 2.4 right?
    Does it support using wider channel width?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭blueser

chris_ie wrote: »
    Didn’t think they’d do installs on a Saturday.
    I was originally scheduled for next tuesday afternoon (that was arranged last thursday). Then on Friday, I got a phone call from OpenEir saying that a KN technician was available sometime today if I were interested. Of course, I jumped at it. He was here for around 2 hours. Apparently, a couple of installs had had to be put back, leaving him available. He did an excellent job. I'm getting 212mb download and 48mb upload via WiFi this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭blueser

tuxy wrote: »
    Actually blueser if your router supports VHT80 I'd recommend trying that to see if you get better speeds on 5ghz. It could also make the connection unstable so just switch back if it does.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It supports 80MHz in 5GHz. I've seen speeds of 255Mb on an iPhone 8 on the F2000 on 5GHz (300Mb connection).

Although if there are other 5GHz networks around using such a wide channel width is not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

20 or 20/40Mhz on 2.4Ghz

20, 20/40 or 80Mhz on 5Ghz

blueser wrote: »
    I was originally scheduled for next tuesday afternoon (that was arranged last thursday). Then on Friday, I got a phone call from OpenEir saying that a KN technician was available sometime today if I were interested. Of course, I jumped at it. He was here for around 2 hours. Apparently, a couple of installs had had to be put back, leaving him available. He did an excellent job. I'm getting 212mb download and 48mb upload via WiFi this evening.

I'm glad you got sorted if it was summer I'd suggest you'd use the Tuesday off to watch Netflix in the back garden with a couple of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Fritz!Box 7590 is 4x4 and supports 160MHz wide channels on 5 GHz :) .
    HT40? I don't think any of the routers come with that channel width set as default.

Fritz!Box does. Occupies 40 MHz default on 2.4 GHz and 80 MHz default on 5 GHz. Channel 12-13 on 2.4 and 160 MHz channel-width on 5 GHz have to specifically enabled in the configuration to work.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Fritz!Box 7590 is 4x4 and supports 160MHz wide channels on 5 GHz :) .

Fritz!Box does. Occupies 40 MHz default on 2.4 GHz and 80 MHz default on 5 GHz.

/M

Whatever about rural areas where there is some separation between homes, in urban areas surely using 80 and 160MHz channels is going to cause issues. The spectrum isn't there to support multiple high speed connections.

Nice, the Fritz!Box really is a nice step up from the junk Eir and Vodafone use.

Nice, the Fritz!Box really is a nice step up from the junk Eir and Vodafone use.

The Imagine LTE router I used came with 80MHz enabled as default on 5GHz. It's irresponsible in my opinion.

Whatever about rural areas where there is some separation between homes, in urban areas surely using 80 and 160MHz channels is going to cause issues. The spectrum isn't there to support multiple high speed connections.

With 802.11a and g, that was a problem, where you enabled 40 MHz and then it was 40 MHz all the time (turbo-mode).

With 802.11n and onwards, the extra bandwidth gets turned on demand and if there is no interference issue. So the way it works is, that it starts out at 20 MHz and only adds the extra bandwidth as you ramp up your consistent usage.

Also, in 2.4 GHz .. absolutely. It's a jungle. 13 channels, that overlap with each other (20 MHz wide, 5 MHz spacing). So only 3 non-overlapping channels.

In 5 GHz: no problem. 19 channels (20 MHz wide, 20 MHz spacing) and less distance due to double wavelength at only twice the power over 2.4 GHz.

/M

That's a good point even 80 uses up a large portion of the available spectrum never mind 160. It's not really something I think about as the only time I can ever detect anther access point is when someone parks their car near by and it has WIFI or if someone walks past with the WIFI hotspot turned on in their phone settings.

That's a good point even 80 uses up a large portion of the available spectrum never mind 160. It's not really something I think about as the only time I can ever detect anther access point is when someone parks their car near by and it has WIFI or if someone walks past with the WIFI hotspot turned on in their phone settings.

The thing is, it doesn't. It only uses the extra 20 MHz chunks when you request them (on demand) and if there is no interference. On idle or low usage, it only occupies 20 MHz (1 channel).

That's the beauty of 802.11n and onwards.

/M

The thing is, it doesn't. It only uses the extra 20 MHz chunks when you request them (on demand) and if there is no interference. On idle or low usage, it only occupies 20 MHz (1 channel).

That's the beauty of 802.11n and onwards.

/M
    40MHz channels on 5GHz are well supported and increase bandwidth. You just need to plan the channel use not to cause overlaps. Even if the original channel plan is perfect, DFS may cause unexpected channel switches causing overlaps. If you have a quiet environment and your devices support them, you may use 80MHz channels. One example of consideration is the fact that the lowest 80MHz will cover all non-DFS channels. If you want to use the wider channels you have to live with DFS restrictions. Don’t use 160MHz channels except for point-to-point or other special cases.

https://metis.fi/en/2018/02/5ghz-channels/

That article is 802.11g/802.11a thinking, where you allocated the channels constant. (turbo-mode).

When 802.11n came around, i always hated it for long distance links. Because you didn't have the option to force twice the channel bandwidth to get more speed (wasteful build .. i know).

The thing with 802.11n is, that if you don't have enough quality in one channel to at least achieve 75-80% capacity, it won't trigger the next 20 MHz.

So at sh*t signal or long distance, it never happens.

/M

Do you think it's better to use DFS channels if trying 80mhz-160mhz in an urban area? You won't be having a negative impact on your neighbours wifi and if radar needs the channels you're the one that loses connection and are the one that has to live with the downside of using such wide channels.

Do you think it's better to use DFS channels if trying 80mhz-160mhz in an urban area? You won't be having a negative impact on your neighbours wifi and if radar needs the channels you're the one that loses connection and are the one that has to live with the downside of using such wide channels.

The band from 5500-5700 is classified for outdoor usage. Higher power levels, too. So your chances of getting interference on that band is high.

Also, the extension to 80 MHz can happen in any direction. So you just pick your main channel and it expands in either one or both directions as it needs.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Nothing .. and it's even tidier these days ... The cradle is the ODP.

45042802534_cdf472e50b_b.jpg

So all that sits on the wall is that cradle having all the ODP components and then the ONT sitting inside that.

/M

:-(
    i'm relying on the old setup, have a 15m fibre patch cable already running from just inside back door to the comms room upstairs.

can they still be separated in this configuration?

brianbruff wrote: »
    :-(
    i'm relying on the old setup, have a 15m fibre patch cable already running from just inside back door to the comms room upstairs.

can they still be separated in this configuration?

Yes they can. They are connected to each other in the exact same way inside the cradle. You'd just have an empty cradle.

/M

44000761180_397b570aea_c.jpg44000761290_168a3ffdcb_c.jpg

Cradle opened.

If it's the Cat5e/Cat6 patch lead you refer to. No problem as you can see.

Mine actually runs back to the press from the ONT these days, where I have the switch etc.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Hi,

I have a friend with a house in Waterford, rural FTTH is passing the entrance to their house, house across the road has FTTH and their phone line crosses the road from the pole with the neighbor's splitter (to a pole on their land).

They have a stable near the gate power could be pulled from. If I setup a weatherproof cabinet with power and CAT6 or my own multi-mode fiber to the house, what are the chances of getting Eir to install an ONT & the router in the cabinet?

Since the eircode is just 20 meters outside the blue service area could that eircode be used to order? If that's not an option can we apply for an eircode assignment for the cabinet (which would be well inside the blue service area)?
    Or would it be worth contacting the local eir engineer and discussing the dilemma over a pint or two?

In the absence of other options the neighbor would be willing to accomodate a 2nd connection if it's possible to do that, but we don't want to impose on them if there's another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not entirely sure I'm following what you are asking
    At 20m email fibrepower@openeir.ie and ask to be added - if there is spare capacity in the DP then a good chance you will be added
    But they will only install into a premises, not at some random building, shed etc. Eircodes are only assigned to occupied buildings, offices, apartments etc - you would never get an eircode e.g. for a shed.
    Every connection has to be connected to the DP so not sure what you mean about sharing a connection.

Airwire have had some success at adding extra buildings in this situation I believe so try contacting them.As said the stable is not possible only a building with an Eircode will work, you may need to lay ducting from the road to your house. Usually a simple enough job but you have to pay for it.

Also, multi-mode fibre is limited to 300m. Bad choice.

Single mode, outdoor fibre is what you want for this job.

/M

cros13 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a friend with a house in Waterford, rural FTTH is passing the entrance to their house, house across the road has FTTH and their phone line crosses the road from the pole with the neighbor's splitter (to a pole on their land).

They have a stable near the gate power could be pulled from. If I setup a weatherproof cabinet with power and CAT6 or my own multi-mode fiber to the house, what are the chances of getting Eir to install an ONT & the router in the cabinet?

Since the eircode is just 20 meters outside the blue service area could that eircode be used to order? If that's not an option can we apply for an eircode assignment for the cabinet (which would be well inside the blue service area)?
    Or would it be worth contacting the local eir engineer and discussing the dilemma over a pint or two?

In the absence of other options the neighbor would be willing to accomodate a 2nd connection if it's possible to do that, but we don't want to impose on them if there's another option.

Not wishing to accuse you of stupidity but have you checked your friends Eircode on

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

Is seems unusual that their premises is passed but they cannot order. If that is the case they must have a long entrance leaving the premises far from the distribution point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not wishing to accuse you of stupidity but have you checked your friends Eircode on

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

Is seems unusual that their premises is passed but they cannot order. If that is the case they must have a long entrance leaving the premises far from the distribution point.

Which blue area is he outside of?

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Which blue area is he outside of?

He can only be referring to the DCCAE map. I'm working on an alternative public map now :)

The fibrerollout and openeir maps have been on blink since somebody made a mess of their Google API integration a week ago. No response from OpenEIR on the issue either.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement