Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fritzelly wrote: »
    Which blue area is he outside of?

I've no idea but they could be relying on fibrerollout or the DCCAE map neither of which are accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I've no idea but they could be relying on fibrerollout or the DCCAE map neither of which are accurate.

No no .. fibrerollout and openeir maps are down atm.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    No no .. fibrerollout and openeir maps are down atm.

/M

They are back up. It was a security cert issue.

They are back up. It was a security cert issue.

Hah... Good thing it didn't take them 10 years to fix that like with UG :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hah... Good thing it didn't take them 10 years to fix that like with UG :)

/M

LMAO You would think at this stage that no matter what reference you put in to it it would recognise the format of the reference and say hey I know what they are looking for - no, you have to remember which of the dozen links to click

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 The Wire

I've actually kidnapped the local pole erector and will only release him upon ze Eir lads throwing an aul cable 12 metres across the road to my pole (yes my pole, in my garden, on my land). Anyhoo, I'll keep you all informed of proceedings, unless you hear it on 6 one first! Disclaimer, this may or may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Not wishing to accuse you of stupidity but have you checked your friends Eircode on

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

Is seems unusual that their premises is passed but they cannot order. If that is the case they must have a long entrance leaving the premises far from the distribution point.

Yes entrance road is ~200 meters.
    Also, multi-mode fibre is limited to 300m. Bad choice.

Single mode, outdoor fibre is what you want for this job.

/M

I'm a network engineer. It's 200 meters and I'm donating the fiber, switches/router/APs and my fiber termination services as a birthday present :D
    Working with what I've got, so the options are the multimode (ducted) or an intermediate switch at the stables (which would allow the option of adding an AP down there (there is PoE on one of my spare small switches)).
    tuxy wrote: »
    Airwire have had some success at adding extra buildings in this situation I believe so try contacting them.As said the stable is not possible only a building with an Eircode will work, you may need to lay ducting from the road to your house. Usually a simple enough job but you have to pay for it.

Airwire's availability checker said no for my friend's eircode, but yes for the houses across the road and either side of the entrance gate. I'll contact them to see if they can help, they were going to be the preferred ISP anyway if we did get this running.

Just to clarify (using a google streetview image from 10 years ago), the pole on the left is providing FTTH service for the neighbor... and the pole on the right is inside my friend's entrance. That's their current copper line.

ZqTwvLP.png?2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Only people that can get the eircode added are OE but at 200m you are kinda pushing their boundaries
    And OE do not entertain anyone doing the middleman work, either they will do it themselves or it won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

fritzelly wrote: »
    Only people that can get the eircode added are OE but at 200m you are kinda pushing their boundaries
    And OE do not entertain anyone doing the middleman work, either they will do it themselves or it won't happen

Yeah its a real pain to get them to change an Eircode to another DP, so i'd say getting it enabled for fibre is damn near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

tuxy wrote: »
    Why wouldn't the installer take the few seconds to plug in the router?

Give me a single example of one of the major DSL ISPs supporting routers that they did not supply themselves, I've never heard of this happening. Every new customer gets a router from their ISP it's been like that since the first DSL connection in Ireland and it's still the same for FTTH.

IIRC Bt later Vodafone supported customers somewhat with Eircom Netopia routers back in the day.

Actually back in 2013 when I switched to Vodafone from Eircom with a Netopia router I had the choice to either buy a router or keep my own. Sales rep at the door ticked no router required box. The router Vodafone offered was a Huawei POS that would’ve cost €59.

They later sent one out of course to try fix what was obviously not the router but a major fault somewhere in the network. At least they didn’t charge me for it tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Miltiple antennae router 802.11ac mimo think does 600mpbs in response to andy.

The eir f2000 will do the grand on wired no issues.
    Wireless I have seen it range from 160mpbs to 60mpbs right next to the router obviously it depends on what the device can support and how many walls in the house. I know all of you know this but I'm just stating it for those who browse the page who don't i have to explain this quite often when I finish an installation as if the router does not give 1000mpbs over wireless I must have done something wrong and need to fix it.

In your expert opinion, is there anything the ISPs could be doing in the sales process to prepare the user for not being able to actually see the speed they have ordered?

i.e. due to WiFi bottleneck, slower devices, slower servers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

9726_9726 wrote: »
    In your expert opinion, is there anything the ISPs could be doing in the sales process to prepare the user for not being able to actually see the speed they have ordered?

Anyone who predominantly uses WIFI should be ordering the 150 Mbit package. Of course sales could ask them this and advise them on the limitations of WIFI but why would they want to down sell a package?
    I can't see marking wanting to highlight the downsides to their service either.

You may have noticed the big company's don't use the strategy of happy long term customers, it's all about locking people into an expensive contract for 12 - 24 months. They are big enough and have the marketing budget for this to be very profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cros13 wrote: »
    Yes entrance road is ~200 meters.

I'm a network engineer. It's 200 meters and I'm donating the fiber, switches/router/APs and my fiber termination services as a birthday present :D
    Working with what I've got, so the options are the multimode (ducted) or an intermediate switch at the stables (which would allow the option of adding an AP down there (there is PoE on one of my spare small switches)).

Airwire's availability checker said no for my friend's eircode, but yes for the houses across the road and either side of the entrance gate. I'll contact them to see if they can help, they were going to be the preferred ISP anyway if we did get this running.

Just to clarify (using a google streetview image from 10 years ago), the pole on the left is providing FTTH service for the neighbor... and the pole on the right is inside my friend's entrance. That's their current copper line.

It wouldn't surprise me if OE get too intransigent about this sort of situation, if some people were to resort to subterfuge - like asking a neighbour who doesn't know what the internet is, nor want it, if, for a suitable inducement, they would mind lending their house for a morning and having fibre installed. Of course after the KN van disappears up the road, the elves get to work and uninstall everything and move it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

cnocbui wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if OE get too intransigent about this sort of situation, if some people were to resort to subterfuge - like asking a neighbour who doesn't know what the internet is, nor want it, if, for a suitable inducement, they would mind lending their house for a morning and having fibre installed. Of course after the KN van disappears up the road, the elves get to work and uninstall everything and move it elsewhere.
    |You wouldn't even need to go the whole hog. Could you just run a cable which repeated the signal to another house, or just try a good WiFi connection. I'm surprised we're not reading more about people sharing one account.

KOR101 wrote: »
    |You wouldn't even need to go the whole hog. Could you just run a cable which repeated the signal to another house, or just try a good WiFi connection. I'm surprised we're not reading more about people sharing one account.

Too much hassle for a lot of people. Sure, there are people that don't get FTTH because they have to dig a duct or repair a duct in place.

Also, there's a liability issue, when sharing the IP. Nevermind, who is responsible for the bill.

Would you share your ESB meter/supply with one or two neighbors ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

plenty of ubiquiti kit could be utilised to give a ptp link under the right circumstances if neighbours (who talk to each other) are close and LOS is good to a determined individual

though, likely very minimal scenarios where a neighbour can get FTTH and a neighbour cannot..

FTTH stops just under a km from my location but I'm under a brow of a hill in the direction of where I would need to create a wireless link so would need to have at least one repeater and then to convince somebody or a business in the FTTH green zone to share or to get it installed which is where things get messy if you don't know somebody at all, which is where I am stumbling

in saying that years and years ago I managed to convince a business to get signed up to a fixed wireless service which in turn allowed me to get connected from their location when the isp installed repeaters

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As a consumer, with no industry knowledge, the only way that would suit me as a consumer, would be to have the router show in a display what the connected speed is.
    Rebooting the router should cause it to display anew.

No doubt it would also get rid of the need for support staff suggesting things to do to diagnose a possible wifi problem.

On the other hand maybe that info could be used against the provider :D

As a consumer, with no industry knowledge, the only way that would suit me as a consumer, would be to have the router show in a display what the connected speed is.
    Rebooting the router should cause it to display anew.

No doubt it would also get rid of the need for support staff suggesting things to do to diagnose a possible wifi problem.

On the other hand maybe that info could be used against the provider :D

The Ubiquiti ONTs actually do that. Though I am hesitant to bring third party ONTs into discussion!

https://www.ubnt.com/ufiber/ufiber-nano-g/

The Ubiquiti ONTs actually do that. Though I am hesitant to bring third party ONTs into discussion!

It would be great to see it on standard FTTH equipment.
    I really think it would reduce a heck of a lot of complaints about connection speed.

The issue with this is that is shows the current throughput. This, in my opinion, would actually cause a flood of support calls. People would be drawing say 15Mbps from three video streams and would call up saying, "I'm paying for a gig and only getting 15 meg!".

• Advertisement

The issue with this is that is shows the current throughput. This, in my opinion, would actually cause a flood of support calls. People would be drawing say 15Mbps from three video streams and would call up saying, "I'm paying for a gig and only getting 15 meg!".

True. I think as FTTH becomes more common the obsession with speedtests will hopefully wane. I think oscarBravo said it before but people don't have the same inclination to constantly measure their ESB voltage. It just works and people take it for granted.

True. I think as FTTH becomes more common the obsession with speedtests will hopefully wane. I think oscarBravo said it before but people don't have the same inclination to constantly measure their ESB voltage. It just works and people take it for granted.

There is a guarantee regarding voltage and frequency of the elec supply.

and yes I have had occasion to measure it in the past when I suspected it was not up to standard.

Broadband supply has never ever approached such a guarantee, nor been able to, whether xDSL or FWA, so people had to check themselves if a problem arose.

With FTTH that necessity for checking should reduce considerably, but not completely, as faults can occur and the result is not like an elec interruption where you can check with neighbours if their supply has also dropped and know if it is just your own supply or a more general fault.

So yes, IMO, an indication/display on the provider equipment, to show the connection speed would be a huge step forward.

I don't expect to see it in my lifetime :)

There is a guarantee regarding voltage and frequency of the elec supply.

and yes I have had occasion to measure it in the past when I suspected it was not up to standard.

Broadband supply has never ever approached such a guarantee, nor been able to, whether xDSL or FWA, so people had to check themselves if a problem arose.

With FTTH that necessity for checking should reduce considerably, but not completely, as faults can occur and the result is not like an elec interruption where you can check with neighbours if their supply has also dropped and know if it is just your own supply or a more general fault.

So yes, IMO, an indication/display on the provider equipment, to show the connection speed would be a huge step forward.

I don't expect to see it in my lifetime :)

The problem is, that most people are not network engineers (which is fine, of course), and have no idea how to test broadband supply properly. Like using speedtest.net over WiFi, for instance. This tests

- device
    - WiFi medium (channel/environment/activity of neighbours' networks at that moment if overlapping)
    - router CPU
    - broadband

You can't test four systems together and regard it as an empirical test of one of them.

Most people think WiFi is broadband and vice versa.

So maybe some kind of inbuilt test on a router would help. The only way to do this though would be to have an iPerf server inside every ISPs border for testing their network (not upstream) and for the CPE router to be powerful enough to run a TCP iPerf session. With say 20 parallel streams and display the result somewhere shiny for the user.

I can't see this ever happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The mind boggles - I just visited the Eir broadband page and it says:
    Fibre to the Home is not currently available at this address
    We checked V** ** **.

Is it perhaps that the fibre allocation for the eircode has been taken up - by me - so is showing as unavailable? Not very bright.

The problem is, that most people are not network engineers (which is fine, of course), and have no idea how to test broadband supply properly. Like using sleedtest.net over WiFi, for instance. This tests

- device
    - WiFi medium (channel/environment/activity of neighbours' networks at that moment if overlapping)
    - router CPU
    - broadband

You can't test four systems together and regard it as an impirical test of one of them.

Most people think WiFi is broadband and vice versa.

So maybe some kind of inbuilt test on a router would help. The only way to do this though would be to have an iPerf server inside every ISPs border for testing their network (not upstream) and for the CPE router to be powerful enough to run a TCP iPerf session. With say 20 parallel streams and display the result somewhere shiny for the user.

I can't see this ever happening.

A proactive ISP could try to deal with some company like Sam Knows. However that entails another device that requires power and Ethernet connection to the router.

https://www.samknows.com

Is it perhaps that the fibre allocation for the eircode has been taken up - by me - so is showing as unavailable? Not very bright.

That seems to be the case. Installed Eircodes show as unavailable.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The problem with an honest ISP managing expectations in this way is that their less scrupulous competitors will not. I've seen, for example, an ISP who quotes the speed shown in the APQ file for a VDSL connection lose the business to a competitor who bangs the "up to 100M" drum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I also check at it say it is available at my address. I'm using FTTH provided by Eir right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Eir database is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Anyone hear about or see the MedUX program? Promises £10 a month in Amazon vouchers for the low low price of pluging a random device into your networking and keeping it powered! (Sketchy as anything, but I figured i'd give it a shot)

I've just had mine turn up a week ago (MedUX field agent 2). The premise behind it is real time internet monitoring for statistics, but here are some things to note anyway.

You get a small white box with an 1G ethernet port, usb port and a power port. Popping open this box reveals a Wibrain branded all in one board. I've got the specs somewhere, i'll post them if anyone is interested, but the main thing is: This is a small Android board. So with the box lifted you can connect right into that HDMI port and find out whats going on.

It connects outbound to a spanish server via an OpenVPN connection and runs random tests like speedtest.net, amazon and netflix load times etc. Its running Android and has a little WiFi dongle plugged into a USB socket on one side of the board. The box also runs a HTTP server on port :8080 for the purposes of selecting a WiFi network for the device to connect to.

Lastly the unique ID is the mac address.

You can find out more about them here https://www.caseonit.com/ and https://uxers.caseonit.com/.

Here is a video of the device by some russian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9OEslB1rMM

Finally if you get one of these i'd recommend setting it up on an isolated network from your home network. Just for security. If you would like to be recommended for addition to the program you can message me or apply on their site. But i'll let you guys know how it goes.

Currently they are looking for these connections:
    Eir (FTTH and VDSL FTTC)
    Vodaphone
    Virgin
    Sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Hi guys,

Any need for me to drill through the external wall behind the ETU? The installer will do this drilling - correct? What about an internal wall?

What diameter is the cable and is it flexible - can it bend 90 degrees?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement