Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Interesting, I was just about add if I was ever to use it I would add it to a different subnet or vlan on my network but you have that covered.
    Plugging it into my f2000 that's segregated and only used for voip is also an option.
    I'm guessing it uses about 5 watts so you're down about 50 cent for the month as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

m99T wrote: »
    Anyone hear about or see the MedUX program? Promises £10 a month in Amazon vouchers for the low low price of pluging a random device into your networking and keeping it powered! (Sketchy as anything, but I figured i'd give it a shot)

I've just had mine turn up a week ago (MedUX field agent 2). The premise behind it is real time internet monitoring for statistics, but here are some things to note anyway.

You get a small white box with an 1G ethernet port, usb port and a power port. Popping open this box reveals a Wibrain branded all in one board. I've got the specs somewhere, i'll post them if anyone is interested, but the main thing is: This is a small Android board. So with the box lifted you can connect right into that HDMI port and find out whats going on.

It connects outbound to a spanish server via an OpenVPN connection and runs random tests like speedtest.net, amazon and netflix load times etc. Its running Android and has a little WiFi dongle plugged into a USB socket on one side of the board. The box also runs a HTTP server on port :8080 for the purposes of selecting a WiFi network for the device to connect to.

Lastly the unique ID is the mac address.

You can find out more about them here https://www.caseonit.com/ and https://uxers.caseonit.com/.

Here is a video of the device by some russian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9OEslB1rMM

Finally if you get one of these i'd recommend setting it up on an isolated network from your home network. Just for security. If you would like to be recommended for addition to the program you can message me or apply on their site. But i'll let you guys know how it goes.

Currently they are looking for these connections:
    Eir (FTTH and VDSL FTTC)
    Vodaphone
    Virgin
    Sky

No way should this be installed on your main network. Would totally need its own vlan/isolated network, with no routability to the main network.

There was an interesting talk at Web Summit from Avast about a hacker getting into an Edimax camera on a home LAN, then hopping from there to compromise smart lighting, which had GPS coordinates in the config file (from the phone's management app). The network gave away the names of the occupants from their iPhone hostnames. Then he hit the Sonos and used that to talk to Alexa and buy stuff. He then played creepy ransom messages, asking the occupants by name for bitcoin, while flashing their lights, turning off their heating and opening the front door!

The point was, that one weak device gets someone behind the firewall. This device you speak about actually invites someone in, with the red carpet out.

Be careful, folks!

The device will probably be able to tell it's on an isolated network. I wonder if they still pay up in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Marlow wrote: »
    44000761180_397b570aea_c.jpg44000761290_168a3ffdcb_c.jpg

Cradle opened.

If it's the Cat5e/Cat6 patch lead you refer to. No problem as you can see.

Mine actually runs back to the press from the ONT these days, where I have the switch etc.

/M

Fantastic, I've the fiber patch lead in place going to cabinet in coms room upstairs. That will allow me to run a cat6 patch cable the few inches into my unifi router. Router can do vlan etc so no bridging. Tnx for the pics!!

polaris68 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Any need for me to drill through the external wall behind the ETU? The installer will do this drilling - correct? What about an internal wall?

What diameter is the cable and is it flexible - can it bend 90 degrees?

I don't know the diameter but it's smaller than the old telephone line coming into my house.
    Probably best to let the installer do the drilling as that's part of their job. But he probably won't complain if you have it already done and he has no trouble feeding the cable in. If he has any trouble feeding the cable in he won't be happy though!
    It's flexible I don't think 90 degrees would be advisable but mine is close to 90 where it comes into the house.

• Advertisement

It's possibly a little different depending on which installer you get. Mine comes into the house just above the shirting. It's then run along the skirting held in place by cable tidy tacks. Goes into the ODP/ONT from there some cat 5 cable runs further along on the skirting to my router.
    It's a better looking job than the phone sockets I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

That seems to be the case. Installed Eircodes show as unavailable.

I believe the reasoning behind this is because there's only 1 fibre for one provisioned address
    Once it's in it cannot be ordered again you cannot get two fibre lines for one address. I get asked this quite often while installing fibre in a house and there's a office/granny flat out back garden. They ask can it get a fibre line too. Absolutely not. They can wire cat5 to it and swap the data coming out of the going out to there or plug in a port in their modem and set up another network out there shared off their houses internet connection. This usually starts a discussion on how to do it. Usually they end up asking do we do it. We don't then I tell them how to do it and I usually get a nixer weekend job to get it working for them. My own tools transport and equipment of course.

What about people wishing to switch provider? If it shows as not available on the ISPs page people can't order the switch online.

tuxy wrote: »
    What about people wishing to switch provider? If it shows as not available on the ISPs page people can't order the switch online.

I'd say these are all going to be headaches alright. Probably be one of these can do should work ok but computer says no so no.
    I've done installs for people who wanted ftth with sky and had sky modem and q box ended up ordering ftth with eir and just plugging their sky modem in and setting from DSL ppoe only to wan oe rebooted and it worked no issues. Got their sky ftth install but pay eir and have an f2000 they really didn't want

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

People switching provider won't be checking availability ;) and the system for switching provider is different than just ordering a new package. If they tried to order a new line into a residential property it would get rejected by OE

• Advertisement

I see so this https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ is for new installs only?
    Do Eir have an online system in place to order a switch over from a different ISP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

polaris68 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Any need for me to drill through the external wall behind the ETU? The installer will do this drilling - correct? What about an internal wall?

What diameter is the cable and is it flexible - can it bend 90 degrees?

The old cable they used was 5.3 x 2mm the new cable is 6mm diameter with a minimum bending radius of 60mm. A hard 90° bend is not recommended. Fibre does not like being bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I see so this https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ is for new installs only?
    Do Eir have an online system in place to order a switch over from a different ISP?

Yep, when ordering you state you are and it asks for your details UAN etc

The old cable they used was 5.3 x 2mm the new cable is 6mm diameter with a minimum bending radius of 60mm. A hard 90° bend is not recommended. Fibre does not like being bent.

It'll do it alright out of the Kevlar jacket you can bend it at a radius of 1cm ya don't wanna do many of them as each will loose some signal but it's not likely to bring it up to a unacceptable level of loss. Ya usually have to bend it 90 degrees after coming through the wall into the back of the cradle there's only a centimeter of depth inside to turn it from coming straight through to spiraling up and around inside.
    The cable is usually at -8db loss dp usually -12.5 - 13.5db by the time it gets in the house you usually only get 0.2db loss -18db loss is unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

9726_9726 wrote: »
    No way should this be installed on your main network. Would totally need its own vlan/isolated network, with no routability to the main network.

There was an interesting talk at Web Summit from Avast about a hacker getting into an Edimax camera on a home LAN, then hopping from there to compromise smart lighting, which had GPS coordinates in the config file (from the phone's management app). The network gave away the names of the occupants from their iPhone hostnames. Then he hit the Sonos and used that to talk to Alexa and buy stuff. He then played creepy ransom messages, asking the occupants by name for bitcoin, while flashing their lights, turning off their heating and opening the front door!

The point was, that one weak device gets someone behind the firewall. This device you speak about actually invites someone in, with the red carpet out.

Be careful, folks!

Yep 100% agree. This device actually has SSH, VNC and a VPN enabled right out of the box. I have it on a seperate network that's connected to a different WAN IP with severe restrictions. Is it worth all that for £10 a month? Nope. Is it worth it for £10 a month and a free, pretty powerful little android box that I can repurpose if the thing falls flat? In my opinion yes.

I saw that talk too! Was pretty funny if you ask me. Defcon had a talk a while back about something similar, i'll try dig it up. 100% worth a watch.

I wonder how locked down it is. Can I run my own software on it? Free mini computer :)

babi-hrse wrote: »
    It'll do it alright out of the Kevlar jacket you can bend it at a radius of 1cm ya don't wanna do many of them as each will loose some signal but it's not likely to bring it up to a unacceptable level of loss. Ya usually have to bend it 90 degrees after coming through the wall into the back of the cradle there's only a centimeter of depth inside to turn it from coming straight through to spiraling up and around inside.
    The cable is usually at -8db loss dp usually -12.5 - 13.5db by the time it gets in the house you usually only get 0.02db loss -18db loss is unacceptable

Is -18dBm specified by open eir because the ONT is specified as being sensitive down to -27dBm?

I wonder how locked down it is. Can I run my own software on it? Free mini computer :)

Its legit open as anything. Thats why I was excited, free raspberry pi but the specs are actually better.

Its got some Snapdragon ARM core, i'll find the specs as soon as I get a chance. HDMI Out, Two USB 2.0's, 1Gig Ethernet. Running android, but can be easily reformatted on post by the looks of things. Also is on a 16Gig SD card for some reason. And its FREE! Thats right a mere €0 a month. You can just sign up with a fake email, and a PO box, and they don't ask questions. You dont even need to prove you have FTTH to get it.

Nice!
    I need something to run a linux server so I guess I can get an arm distro on there.

Is -18dBm specified by open eir because the ONT is specified as being sensitive down to -27dBm?

Specified by oe
    Think it'll work ok on 150 300 but you will start having issues on 1000 if it's -18db or greater or maybe they just don't want shoddy splicing and that's what they told us to avoid us making creative bendy straws of the line. Basically if I get -18db on my light meter at the house. it's not good enough and have to fix it.
    If I get it at the dp it's an issue for oe to fix. Usually you can walk and see a kink bend, bend it straight and signal will improve but more often than not it's a bad splice on either end or you've been breathing on the tip of the patch lead. -48db is practically opaque you probably have a solid break. The light gets measured at 1550nm wavelenght

• Advertisement

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Specified by or
    Think it'll work ok on 150 300 but you will start having issues on 1000 if it's -18db or greater or maybe they just don't want shoddy splicing and that's what they told us to avoid us making creative bendy straws of the line. Basically if I get -18db on my light meter at the house. it's not good enough and have to fix it.
    If I get it at the dp it's an issue for oe to fix. Usually you can walk and see a kink bend, bend it straight and signal will improve but more often than not it's a bad splice on either end or you've been breathing on the tip of the patch lead. -48db is practically opaque you probably have a solid break. The light gets measured at 1550nm wavelenght

I've just realised it's because of the distances you are dealing with from exchanges. All the homes in this rollout are not that far from the exchange so if you are seeing -18dBm something is indeed wrong. I'm at 5Km from the exchange and at -14.4dBm and near the end of a line.

If they were to extend the rollout to 10 or 15Km from exchanges you would see a lowering of the acceptable minimum level. As I said the optics can go down to -27dBm.

Its got some Snapdragon ARM core, i'll find the specs as soon as I get a chance.

People on youtube were saying it's this
    https://www.odroid.co.uk/hardkernel-odroid-xu4?product_id=813
    and it sure does look like it but the odroid has a Samsung Exynos-5422
    Perhaps an older model.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That seems to be the case. Installed Eircodes show as unavailable.

I enter my eircode and get
    [SIZE="4"]Great News![/SIZE]
    Fibre to the Home is available at X11 Y1 Z2*

Yet I have had my fibre installed more than a month now.

Maybe this is because my phone line continues to be over the copper cable causing some mixup in eir's mess of a backend system?

*Not a valid eircode ;)

No I have it for a few months now and I'm on VOIP. Old phone line completely disabled and I also get the "Fibre to the Home is available at....."

I've just realised it's because of the distances you are dealing with from exchanges. All the homes in this rollout are not that far from the exchange so if you are seeing -18dBm something is indeed wrong. I'm at 5Km from the exchange and at -14.4dBm and near the end of a line.

If they were to extend the rollout to 10 or 15Km from exchanges you would see a lowering of the acceptable minimum level. As I said the optics can go down to -27dBm.

Now your telling me something new I wasn't told before. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

As a consumer, with no industry knowledge, the only way that would suit me as a consumer, would be to have the router show in a display what the connected speed is.
    Rebooting the router should cause it to display anew.

There's the Ubuiqity ONTs and then there's a whole bunch of Mikrotik routers and switches, that have a display.

Consumers want it .. sure .. but they don't want to pay for it. Also, a lot of ISPs will give you access to a traffic graph (if you ask), that shows your usage. Well, at least the tech savvy ones.

Odroid boards come in various variants. Some Snapdragon, some Exynos. Good little boards those. Found plenty of purposes for them. And they offered decent quad-core boards long before the Pie boards got there.

/M

Nope I can confirm that is exactly what is inside. I remembered the specs incorrectly.

So they pay you £10 a month and you get:

Samsung Exynos-5422
    2GByte LPDDR3 RAM
    Samsung S2MPS11
    eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage
    USB 3.0 Host x 2
    USB 2.0 Host x 1
    1Gig Ethernet
    UART Backdoor.

As well as a case, SD Card, Power adapter, AC WiFi USB Dongle and a Cat6 Patch cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Nope I can confirm that is exactly what is inside. I remembered the specs incorrectly.

The specification they state is probably of one of the older boards, which indeed were Snapdragon. They've then replaced it with the newer boards, but not updated their docs.

Very likely.

/M

Wow so they will just send you something worth about €100 retail and very few questions asked?
    I've signed up, so finger crossed they accept my application. It will be a very different device before it makes it on to my network so they can keep the £10 a month.

• Advertisement

I enter my eircode and get
    [SIZE="4"]Great News![/SIZE]
    Fibre to the Home is available at X11 Y1 Z2*

Yet I have had my fibre installed more than a month now.

Maybe this is because my phone line continues to be over the copper cable causing some mixup in eir's mess of a backend system?

*Not a valid eircode ;)

I vaguely remember someone mentioning before that the checker was saying not available despite having it installed.

I wonder is it a case of it only happening to non eir connections? Can someone on FTTH with Airwire, Digiweb, Westnet etc please check their Eircode on

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement