Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I vaguely remember someone mentioning before that the checker was saying not available despite having it installed.

I wonder is it a case of it only happening to non eir connections? Can someone on FTTH with Airwire, Digiweb, Westnet etc please check their Eircode on

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

It shows mine available on eircode but not on phone number, I’m with Airwire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

AidenL wrote: »

Ah well there goes that theory then. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You can order more than one line to an eircode without problems (in UG that is).

What happens here, is that the Eircode check probably checks against the APQ. No phone numbers in that.

And the phone number checker checks against the CLI list and tells you no.

If your phone number not is with Eir, then they have no reference to where it is. So that'll fail anyhow. No matter what.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

AidenL wrote: »

That makes sense if your phone line is now deactivated. They use phone numbers for DSL orders and Eircodes for FTTH right?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Marlow wrote: »
    The specification they state is probably of one of the older boards, which indeed were Snapdragon. They've then replaced it with the newer boards, but not updated their docs.

Very likely.

/M

Yep looks like you're right. They have always been pretty unprofessional.
    tuxy wrote: »
    Wow so they will just send you something worth about €100 retail and very few questions asked?
    I've signed up, so finger crossed they accept my application. It will be a very different device before it makes it on to my network so they can keep the £10 a month.

Conversation went like this:

1) Applied via Facebook Advert
    - Info requested: Name, Email, Phone #, ISP, Package, Router Model, Amazon Account email, Address, City, TV Bundle.
    2) Got email from 'Carlo' regarding address confirmation
    - In this email he CC'd 100 people
    - He asked me to confirm my house number. Not knowing this is Ireland and we don't like house numbers.
    3) Got email confirming shipment
    4) Got FedEX email confirming shipment arrival date
    5) Got Package within 5 days

No verification whatsoever. This is the Deep Packet Inspection of the device:

DEElpwe.png

• Advertisement

You can order more than one line to an eircode without problems (in UG that is).

What happens here, is that the Eircode check probably checks against the APQ. No phone numbers in that.

And the phone number checker checks against the CLI list and tells you no.

If your phone number not is with Eir, then they have no reference to where it is. So that'll fail anyhow. No matter what.

/M

But why are some Eircodes like cnocbui's, who has the service installed, failing the Eircode check? I'm nearly sure I remember someone else posting similar a few week back also.

But why are some Eircodes like cnocbui's, who has the service installed, failing the Eircode check? I'm nearly sure I remember someone else posting similar a few week back also.

3500+ FTTH lines can only be ordered via ard-keys (OEs older indexing system used for ADSL/VDSL and phone lines on launched exchanges). OpenEIR doesn't have the Eircodes for them.

Nevermind the ones, where they've matched Ard-keys and Eircodes wrong. Hell, there are 3 FTTH lines on Inis More and 1 on Inis Main. Supposedly on Kildare and Tullow exchanges :) My office used to be 2 roads up according to their eircode/ard-key match from where it actually is . Until I got that fixed.

/M

Oh .. and part of them fixing these wrongly mismatched Eircodes, sometimes they delist the eircode entirely. And then that FTTH line can only be ordered by ard-key. (if you can find it)

/M

cnocbui did you have any issues ordering with your Eircode?

Here is the other poster I was talking about where everyone who had been installed was showing up as "no ports available"

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108180184&postcount=3614

"no ports available"

If that's "no ports available" on the airwire checker, then the DP could be full (all 4 ports). That's per DP. Doesn't matter with the cluster.

And OpenEIR won't allow the engineers to connect to a DP further away.

It can obviously also be build problems.

I've seen this in Calverstown, Co. Kildare .. but also in other places. Went live .. first FTTH connections went in, then the whole area was flagged "No ports available". My best guess was capacity.

3 weeks later, the VDSL DSLAM in Calverstown went live and with it more capacity, so the ports became available again.

/M

• Advertisement

If that's "no ports available" on the airwire checker, then the DP could be full (all 4 ports). That's per DP. Doesn't matter with the cluster.

It can obviously also be build problems.

I've seen this in Calverstown, Co. Kildare .. but also in other places. Went live .. first FTTH connections went in, then the whole area was flagged "No ports available". My best guess was capacity.

3 weeks later, the VDSL DSLAM in Calverstown went live and with it more capacity, so the ports became available again.

/M

I don't think that is the case here. The poster said there was very low take up in the area, only two drops from his DP and he had been installed for nearly a year so not a build issue. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

/M

You can get connected to a DP further away, it's very very rare and only where there is spare ports that have no immediate use

I don't think that is the case here. The poster said there was very low take up in the area, only two drops from his DP and he had been installed for nearly a year so not a build issue. Strange.

Capacity so. Just last week OpenEIR delisted 100+ premises near Sligo from the APQ that weren't ready for order yet. The explanation was capacity issues.

/M

Capacity so. Just last week OpenEIR delisted 100+ premises near Sligo from the APQ that weren't ready for order yet. The explanation was capacity issues.

/M

I don't get what you mean by capacity. They already have the service and their Eircode is being refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

m99T wrote: »

No verification whatsoever. This is the Deep Packet Inspection of the device:

DEElpwe.png

So this is a sniff of traffic to/from this box, not your own traffic?

So this is being used as a proxy, by the look of it. What if it's pushing kiddyp*** through your IP?

I don't get what you mean by capacity. They already have the service and their Eircode is being refused.

Basically, if they don't have enough bandwidth at the exchange to accomodate the traffic that would be generated by more lines, as it's getting contended already, they just de-list the whole bunch.

It's like those old ADSL1 DSLAMs that only have 24 Mbit/s total. Just that in the case with FTTH they took a sort of sensible approach and stopped installing more customers instead of contending the crap out of the exchange.

Sure .. they have met their obligation and passed the premises. They'll get back to it, when they get time. :)

It could also be faulty ports on the OLT for that sake.

/M

9726_9726 wrote: »
    So this is a sniff of traffic to/from this box, not your own traffic?

So this is being used as a proxy, by the look of it. What if it's pushing kiddyp*** through your IP?

Yep, thats what the box is doing. Not my own traffic.

I've been keeping a pretty good eye on it. What the machine is doing looks fairly appropriate (Macro'd speed testing etc) and the traffic matches that. I also have confirmed with 2 major ISP's that this company is legit and is used simply for real time traffic monitoring across the network.

But in the case that it was doing something like that, its a real company employed by the ISP's themselves so there would be recourse to any claim.

Its not a proxy either. The device is running as a 'virtual client' and pushing info back to the main server.

Basically, if they don't have enough bandwidth at the exchange to accomodate the traffic that would be generated by more lines, as it's getting contended already, they just de-list the whole bunch.

It's like those old ADSL1 DSLAMs that only have 24 Mbit/s total. Just that in the case with FTTH they took a sort of sensible approach and stopped installing more customers.

Sure .. they have met their obligation and passed the premises. They'll get back to it, when they get time. :)

/M

That's highly unlikely to be the case in the instances I'm talking about. The checker was passing Eircodes of premises in the exchange area that had no service so that renders your theory incorrect.

I suspect it is some database issue but without having a list of Eircodes affected it would be impossible to know if there is any common denominator.

I also think that you are doing open eir a disservice insinuating that they are launching exchanges with insufficient backhaul.

Yep, thats what the box is doing. Not my own traffic.

Do you have it long enough to know how much bandwidth it might use in a 30 day period?

I suspect it is some database issue but without having a list of Eircodes affected it would be impossible to know if there is any common denominator.

That's not unlikely either.
    I also think that you are doing open eir a disservice insinuating that they are launching exchanges with insufficient backhaul.

It's been a real pain, but the actual cause of a lot of premises being pushed back. Some of it is also down to network faults, where replacement hardware is needed. Or gear that arrived faulty. OpenEIR is planning the bandwidth they need. But they don't seem to have a quick turnaround on re-adjusting, when things don't work out. And it takes them months to source spares.

If you ever order a NGN circuit from them: it can take 3-12 months for a 10gig circuit ... if you're lucky. Any of the other carriers will have you guaranteed up and running in 2-6 months at the most, typically 3. With OE 3 months is lucky.

Last December, they managed to deliver 2 x 10gig circuits in 2 different parts of the country without the SFP+ module facing the customer. On the same day !! And you can't order a 10gig circuit without specifying the optical interface in UG. UG will refuse the order. This is NGN stuff. Things that cost 5 digits plus per year. Nevermind the mess they do on consumer circuits.

So .. no .. i'm not insinuating. It's just the way it is. OE have build their network real thin with very little wiggle room. They have lots and lots of spare fibre, but it isn't lit.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

It's like those old ADSL1 DSLAMs that only have 24 Mbit/s total. Just that in the case with FTTH they took a sort of sensible approach and stopped installing more customers instead of contending the crap out of the exchange.

It could also be faulty ports on the OLT for that sake.

/M

A neighboring house without FTTH can order it, someone with a FTTH connection already, cannot.

No ports available comes up.

Went through this with Airwire when i was ordering from them last month.

Only a few more weeks of handing $$ to Eir thank Jebus.

Do you have it long enough to know how much bandwidth it might use in a 30 day period?

Yep, I can do that for ya! But only on the 150Mb/s package

Uptime: 225 Hours (9d 9h)
    Download: 95.8 GB
    Upload: 32.2 GB

Adv Download: 0.96mb/s
    Adv Upload: 0.32mb/s

30 Days (Estimated):

Download: 311.04 GB
    Upload: 105.5 GB

Yep, I can do that for ya! But only on the 150Mb/s package

Uptime: 225 Hours (9d 9h)
    Download: 95.8 GB
    Upload: 32.2 GB

Adv Download: 0.96mb/s
    Adv Upload: 0.32mb/s

30 Days (Estimated):

Download: 311.04 GB
    Upload: 105.5 GB

That, Sir, would spread you real thin on a 1 TB cap. .. You'd be out of 30% of what you have .. Pretty wasteful.

/M

That, Sir, would spread you real thin on a 1 TB cap. .. You'd be out of 30% of what you have .. Pretty wasteful.

/M

Oh yeah 100%, luckily this connection doesn't have the 1TB cap otherwise it would be a real no-no to monitoring.

/M

Exactly what I was thinking and now I'm sure it's just going to be a nice linux service for me.
    Do they warn you about the high bandwidth usage?

Exactly what I was thinking and now I'm sure it's just going to be a nice linux service for me.

Nope no warning whatsoever. I'm sure some unsuspecting user has got it not knowing about their cap and gone over it with this device.

Eir ?... Not that I know of. They just bill you .. 2 months later.

/M

Eir ?... Not that I know of. They just bill you .. 2 months later.

/M

No I was talking about Medux. And yes no warnings from Eir.
    Lots of people across Europe are on 300MB caps, I think they could be in for a nasty surprise.

No I was talking about Medux. And yes no warnings from Eir.
    Lots of people across Europe are on 300MB caps, I think they could be in for a nasty surprise.

I've been working with advanced mesh networks for years. The noise floor on those, depending on the size of the network, varies from 300 kbit/s to 2 Mbit/s.

If you're on an old ADSL1 line, that's an absulote no go.

This however is nonsense. The cost to operators and networks just to having to accomodate to run speedtests and bandwidth tests it's pure and utter insanity, when a service like that reaches several 100GB/month.

300GB+ is basically a 1-2 Mbit/s noisefloor. More like 2 Mbit/s. That's before you transmit any traffic. And it's also upload.

/M

• Advertisement

Agreed, I don't like anything about it. All I can do is take the the free odroid and hope I contribute to their downfall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement