Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Marlow wrote: »
    Lately, the fibrerollout.ie map doesn't show map data anymore at certain zoom levels or it just takes a long time to load.

Anyone else seeing that problem ?

/M

I saw it earlier. I checked my browser console and it looked like a Google Maps API quota had been reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I saw it earlier. I checked my browser console and it looked like a Google Maps API quota had been reached.

Fibrerollout getting more busy then the ESB PowerCheck tool so. Their map went completely over quota during Ophelia.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Marlow wrote: »
    That is the sort of view you want to have though.

/M

They consawed the footpath in Bouladuff village a few weeks ago (council stupidly tarmaced over one of the ducts widening footpath) in preparation I assume.

They consawed the footpath in Bouladuff village a few weeks ago (council stupidly tarmaced over one of the ducts widening footpath) in preparation I assume.

Also here’s another foreign manhole cover Groupe Norinco (France). Nenagh Co Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

We've been working on a coverage check tool. The design is pretty basic currently.

FTTC data is patchy at best at the moment, as a lot of VDSL isn't coded by Eircode.

OpenEIR FTTH is spot on and updated weekly.

SIRO only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise and Sligo.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Hope it helps.

Hi Martin - looking at a friend's address which is on a rural FTTH road, but her house isn't marked on the map.

Putting her eircode into your tool it says FTTH is available, but on fibrerollout.ie when I enter the eircode and phone number it only offers 2mb ADSL. She's been told she can't get fibre because of the exchange her phoneline is connected to (which to me makes no sense, why would her copper line affect her ability to get fibre?) - any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

loyatemu wrote: »
    She's been told she can't get fibre because of the exchange her phoneline is connected to (which to me makes no sense, why would her copper line affect her ability to get fibre?) - any ideas?

Can you PM me her Eircode. I can maybe shed some more light into that.

We get 2 indiviual databases from OpenEIR on a weekly basis. The fibrerollout map is only updated every month or 2 months at the moment, as it seems.

There is a case, where she could be in one database, but not the other. This usually means, that she's not fully enabled yet, but she will be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Can you PM me her Eircode. I can maybe shed some more light into that.

We get 2 indiviual databases from OpenEIR on a weekly basis. The fibrerollout map is only updated every month or 2 months at the moment, as it seems.

There is a case, where she could be in one database, but not the other. This usually means, that she's not fully enabled yet, but she will be soon.

PM sent - thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

loyatemu wrote: »
    PM sent - thanks.

I've actually made some adjustments to the availability check this morning.

While her house isn't marked at all, it is in the database. So it looks like she'll be enabled together with the houses south of her. Her house really should have had a blue house logo. That's probably a glitch in the map data on fibrerollout.

She's definatly going to get enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Borrisoleigh (Nenagh side) today. Still haven’t started work on the Thurles side yet.

If thats on the main road out of Borrisoleigh to Nenagh and not up the backroad or anything, thats there a few weeks unfortunately, right as the snow hit.

Havent seen any activity recently except for the odd KN van at the exchange. Wondering were they scheduled to complete Borrisoleigh during the snow, and we just missed our slot now and they moved on with the rest of their schedule.

_sheep wrote: »
    If thats on the main road out of Borrisoleigh to Nenagh and not up the backroad or anything, thats there a few weeks unfortunately, right as the snow hit.

Havent seen any activity recently except for the odd KN van at the exchange. Wondering were they scheduled to complete Borrisoleigh during the snow, and we just missed our slot now and they moved on with the rest of their schedule.

Yes it’s on the R498. Seen them (KN) around the area and defusion around the Borrisoleigh area about 2 weeks ago near Ryan’s garage.

Can someone clarify why eir vision is not offered in ffth areas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can someone clarify why eir vision is not offered in ffth areas?

What are you talking about, of course it is

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Hi all,
    I live in Ballyvourney, Co Cork and in the area i live the fibre cable is ran and the boxes up. Other areas have had nothing done yet.
    The website states the the exchange will be live in the 2nd quarter and FTTH by the Autumn.
    I rang Eir and the girl on the phone thought at first it was live in my area by eircode but when she checked my number she realised not.
    I emailed openair in Jan and again in March and received no reply.
    At the moment the best connection i have is 5mb download but my contract with Sky will be expiring in Sept and wont want to renew with them (sky not doing FTTH).
    My suppose my question is anyone had the same experience im having?

Thanks

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

jod1983 wrote: »
    I rang Eir and the girl on the phone thought at first it was live in my area by eircode but when she checked my number she realised not.

I've come across that a few times. The problem is most likely that there are two entries for your home in their address database (ARD). The one for your phone line doesn't have an Eircode and so doesn't show as qualifying for FTTH.

You need to get the ARD entries merged so that your Eircode is matched to your phone number, and then you should be able to order. As to whether you can get anyone in eir to do it: good luck with that. You might be better off talking to a smaller operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I've come across that a few times. The problem is most likely that there are two entries for your home in their address database (ARD). The one for your phone line doesn't have an Eircode and so doesn't show as qualifying for FTTH.

You need to get the ARD entries merged so that your Eircode is matched to your phone number, and then you should be able to order. As to whether you can get anyone in eir to do it: good luck with that. You might be better off talking to a smaller operator.

Ya, dealing with Eir is not nice. Personally, i cant see it going live here for a long time!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The cost-cutting exercise is targeted at all grades of staff from workers in stores to managers, but excludes 1,100 of mainly field workers as the company continues to invest in its network, according to sources.

“Today’s announcement does not in any way impact on the Company’s ability to deliver on its recent contractual commitments in respect of our commercial rural rollout of [ broadband] fibre to the home to 300,000 homes and businesses,” the company statement said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/eir-to-cut-750-jobs-after-french-takeover-of-phone-company-1.3459576

L on pole Bouladuff village (Borrisoleigh exchange) work carried out just now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

KOR101 wrote: »
    The cost-cutting exercise is targeted at all grades of staff from workers in stores to managers, but excludes 1,100 of mainly field workers as the company continues to invest in its network, according to sources.

“Today’s announcement does not in any way impact on the Company’s ability to deliver on its recent contractual commitments in respect of our commercial rural rollout of [ broadband] fibre to the home to 300,000 homes and businesses,” the company statement said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/eir-to-cut-750-jobs-after-french-takeover-of-phone-company-1.3459576

this french takeover seems to be nothing but bad news all around. That's a lot of job losses. If this takeover happened years ago I doubt any of us rural folk would ever have gotten FTTH and Eir probably wouldn't have gone into the NBP bidding in the first place. This new french owner is all about cost savings and urban focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Gonzo wrote: »
    this french takeover seems to be nothing but bad news all around. That's a lot of job losses. If this takeover happened years ago I doubt any of us rural folk would ever have gotten FTTH and Eir probably wouldn't have gone into the NBP bidding in the first place. This new french owner is all about cost savings and urban focused.
    It’s seems like awful news for us rural folk :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did ye read the article? Field service is excluded. Its them and all the KNIS crew that are going to help rural residents.

Gonzo wrote: »

Private business is all about investing in areas where the return is greater, nothing to do with being part owned by a French company.
    Taking on the NBP was just a ploy to have infrastructure in place to effectively stop anyone else gaining a major foothold in the market

Though makes you wonder if you can manage to cut a third of what I imagine to be mainly administration jobs and probably a lot of managerial jobs without any detriment to your company why wasn't it done a long time ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

fritzelly wrote: »
    Private business is all about investing in areas where the return is greater, nothing to do with being part owned by a French company.
    Taking on the NBP was just a ploy to have infrastructure in place to effectively stop anyone else gaining a major foothold in the market

Though makes you wonder if you can manage to cut a third of what I imagine to be mainly administration jobs and probably a lot of managerial jobs without any detriment to your company why wasn't it done a long time ago

If their customer support gets any worse it will be non-existent.
    Maybe they should cut that out altogether!

If their customer support gets any worse it will be non-existent.
    Maybe they should cut that out altogether!

All outsourced so not affected by this
    I wouldn't be blaming the guys on the phone so much - poorly trained, poorly paid, bad hours etc

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cencglob

Sorry to jump in as a newbie with such a basic question;

We've just have the FTTH installed around us recently (before that we we only had a wimp type option) the eir site says we can get the 1Gps speed. Great! not so great is reading all the issues on the various threads here, and I'm not to excited to have to worry about a 1Tb transfer allowance.

Virgin or other providers don't seem to be offering services on the fibre connection, it looks like eir are the only choice.
    Will this be a long term situation, do eir own all rights and o not have to re-sell, or could it be expected that other providers will soon appear offering other contracts using eir's fibre.

many thanks

cencglob wrote: »

We've just have the FTTH installed around us recently (before that we we only had a wimp type option) the eir site says we can get the 1Gps speed. Great! not so great is reading all the issues on the various threads here, and I'm not to excited to have to worry about a 1Tb transfer allowance.

Virgin or other providers don't seem to be offering services on the fibre connection, it looks like eir are the only choice.
    Will this be a long term situation, do eir own all rights and o not have to re-sell, or could it be expected that other providers will soon appear offering other contracts using eir's fibre.

many thanks

Anyone can resell the FTTH - you just may be limited on your choice depending on your location.
    Virgin will never use it - they have their own network
    Lots of horror stories here, but lots of happy customers as well, even here in this thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106660233&postcount=10487

When people are happy they generally don't go around forums saying how great the service is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

many thanks

The list of ISPs providing the service is here (circular green house icons):

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

It would be up to yourself to do the maths to see which provider is offering the best value. I'm with eir myself and have had no issues.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Anyone can resell the FTTH - you just may be limited on your choice depending on your location.
    Virgin will never use it - they have their own network
    Lots of horror stories here, but lots of happy customers as well, even here in this thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106660233&postcount=10487

When people are happy they generally don't go around forums saying how great the service is.

Thanks,

I'm a senior on another forum website where a product is the subject of the forum, and I get the newbie negative posts shock effect. I guess I was bias because I'm already pulling my hair out with them just trying to get a copy of the contract or full T&C's to review. So I appreciate what you say is the case that it's a tiny minority whom I seen on here complaining.

Now waiting for a another provider to arrive, or waste a day driving 1hr 15 to the nearest eir store to read something they refuse to email me. :pac:

Thanks for the reassurance :)

The list of ISPs providing the service is here (circular green house icons):

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

It would be up to yourself to do the maths to see which provider is offering the best value. I'm with eir myself and have had no issues.

Super thanks...how'd I miss that before...

Lots of checking to be done :D

Thanks,

I'm a senior on another forum website where a product is the subject of the forum, and I get the newbie negative posts shock effect. I guess I was bias because I'm already pulling my hair out with them just trying to get a copy of the contract or full T&C's to review. So I appreciate what you say is the case that it's a tiny minority whom I seen on here complaining.

Now waiting for a another provider to arrive, or waste a day driving 1hr 15 to the nearest eir store to read something they refuse to email me. :pac:

Thanks for the reassurance :)

Easiest thing is to phone through to sales (and hope you get someone nice on the phone), end of the day all you need to know is the contract length, terms of the contract (i.e. what are you paying etc) and cancellation policy - everything else is stuff people never read anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Super thanks...how'd I miss that before...

Lots of checking to be done :D

There's 8 providers offering OpenEIR FTTH at the moment in that list. But some may not offer it everywhere.

But you certainly aren't confined or forced to buy of Eir retail.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

AidenL wrote: »
    That right there is an issue. If you PM me your Eircode, I can have a looksie, what it should be for your address.

I just want to thank @Airwire:MartinL for his excellent investigative work on my behalf.

Shows the benefit of the smaller local providers, I’d highly recommend supporting the smaller guys for excellent service.

I couldn’t agree more.......I’m also with airwire and I have to say that it’s a different experience calling up and talking to someone that owns the network, has a personal investment in you as a customer and can address what you want vs calling a call centre and talking to a teenager that hasn’t a clue what you’re talking about.......they provided me with a very personalised service and regular updates on progress, a pleasure to deal with. It’s great to be able to just ping them with stupid questions and get an intelligent knowledgable response........ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement