Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well it might make sense to go with Eir in that case. The main problem is if you ever have to call Eir's customer support. Up to you if you want to take that risk. I too found the f2000 to be ok once I had added my own WIFI access point. I've since replaced it completly at this stage which is even better again but not really necessary to receive good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

We will agree to disagree, but I do wish you would stop implying that I said ALL providers.

The import of your posts is that it is all the customers fault for not being tech savvy and sticking to habits long ingrained.

No. It doesn't matter who is at fault here. I've done support in all of EMEA and for over 20 years. And the attitude of entitlement and blaming the ISP for problems without doing any troubleshooting is the worst in Ireland. Overall.

The problem is when it's the rule, rather than the exception. In most other places that behavior is the exception, rather than the rule.

It has to do with how people treat each other. And with multiple providers around, you have the choice of picking one, where the support department actually gives a darn.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I'd have no issue replacing the router if it turned out to be an issue. Not ideal but not a big issue. Unlikely I'll be using the wireless on it anyway as I've got a Ubiquiti access point for upstairs and will be adding one in the sitting room also (different room to where the fiber will enter).

chris_ie wrote: »
    I'd have no issue replacing the router if it turned out to be an issue. Not ideal but not a big issue. Unlikely I'll be using the wireless on it anyway as I've got a Ubiquiti access point for upstairs and will be adding one in the sitting room also (different room to where the fiber will enter).

Should work well as I too was using Ubiquiti access points with the f2000 and was happy enough with that combo. You will need to use the f2000 if you get moved to VOIP though but maybe the WIFI calling would mean you won't be using VOIP from the F2000.
    Go over to the talk to Eir forum, it's a **** show. I know most telecommunications companies have this issue with customer support but Eir's problems are far beyond that. And then like I said it's up to you if you want to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There is a narrative here that the F2000 is junk and should be avoided. I have not found that to be the case. It has been rock solid for me. The eir service is top notch as long as you don't have to contact their dysfunctional customer support department which you should not have to.

I find the lack of a 'phone book' to be a huge negative.
    In addition the 'speed dial' which might substitute for the phone book is severly limited both in quantity of entries and its behaviour ..... incapable of calling SIP URIs.

Admittedly if those functions are not required then the F2000 has behaved itself very well here.
    tuxy wrote: »
    BT sport is a joke unless you have a set top box. The web version does not support any modern browser(chrome,firefox,edge) you have to use older insecure browsers that are no longer updated.
    WIFI calling may be useful but there are many VOIP services you could use as an alternative. All providers have the same access to the open eir network so eir don't have better coverage.

In addition, the eir sports app for Android does apparently (I have not seen it) work on some devices but not on others (any I have here).
    There is no information from eir to help a customer purchase a functioning device.
    Yes I tried to get help before I purchased such devices, but the eir app will not work on either of them despite they apparently complying with the eir requirements.

No doubt the two biggest hurdles with eir sport is the requirement to use either a proprietary Sky STB or else (on a PC) a browser that can use Silverlight.

eir have no intention of changing either apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What exactly are the symptoms that requires rebooting? Wired or wireless connections? Have you checked the router logs for any messages?

You lose internet connection and the ability to even access the router via admin. It seems to degrade prior to freezing as my son monitors packets and has complained several times - usually shortly before it freezes - that it looses a lot. After the second boot he was testing and said it went 30 pings without registering a response, which equated to roughly 30 seconds.

I haven't checked the logs myself. I asked my son to and he said they are useless.

I've had many routers that have those symptoms but the f2000 is not one of them. I'm sure Eir would send you a new one if you can manage to get through to 1901.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

cnocbui wrote: »
    You loose internet connection and the ability to even access the router via admin. It seems to degrade prior to freezing as my son monitors packets and has complained several times - usually shortly before it freezes - that it looses a lot. After the second boot he was testing and said it went 30 pings without registering a response, which equated to roughly 30 seconds.

I haven't checked the logs myself. I asked my son to and he said they are useless.

Are you directly connected to the router by Ethernet (not powerline networking)?

It sounds like your son is constantly pinging the router if he is able to ascertain that it is losing packets and freezing. It would be worth ensuring that whatever ping monitoring he is doing is not overloading the router, an accidental DOS if you will.

Are you directly connected to the router by Ethernet (not powerline networking)?

It sounds like your son is constantly pinging the router if he is able to ascertain that it is losing packets and freezing. It would be worth ensuring that whatever ping monitoring he is doing is not overloading the router, an accidental DOS if you will.

My son is connected directly to the router via ethernet through a Rasberrry pi he uses for traffic management for all his stuff. I use WiFi mostly on 5 GHz and it's good enough for my purposes. I'm not sure it's the router he's pinging and I doubt he is doing it constantly. He's very bright and has a degree in IT and wouldn't be DOSing himself. I might ask him to be more specific next time I catch him when he's conscious.

I've had many routers that have those symptoms but the f2000 is not one of them. I'm sure Eir would send you a new one if you can manage to get through to 1901.

Thanks, I might try them on Boards and see what they say.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Thanks, I might try them on Boards and see what they say.

Good luck with that, all they have been doing at the moment is telling everyone to call 1901 which has a wait time of 40-60 mins. And even at that stage you may be passed around to different departments or hung up on.

Good luck with that, all they have been doing at the moment is telling everyone to call 1901 which has a wait time of 40-60 mins. And even at that stage you may be passed around to different departments or hung up on.

I wonder will bringing the support back in house make any difference.

It will make the difference that there will be people available to answer phones and emails again. Anymore than that would be a complete guess with no info to go on. The fact that they have lied about what happening is not a good sign though.

Here's the lie
    https://www.eir.ie/support/latest-updates/call-waiting-times-web-chat-availability-00008/

Why lie when the real story is being reported publicly in the papers?

I had the misfortune of having to call them this morning. An hour wait to get to speak to the correct person. At the end I asked the guy about the wait times. He said a lot of his colleagues had been made redundant, he will be soon, yet the calls volumes are the same as ever. I actually feel sorry for the staff, it's an invidious position they have been put in by management. New staff are apparently undergoing training but it is unclear when they will come on stream.

The service will probably improve with the in-house staff but the reputational damage they are doing to the brand is unfortunate.

I had the misfortune of having to call them this morning. An hour wait to get to speak to the correct person. At the end I asked the guy about the wait times. He said a lot of his colleagues had been made redundant, he will be soon, yet the calls volumes are the same as ever. I actually feel sorry for the staff, it's an invidious position they have been put in by management. New staff are apparently undergoing training but it is unclear when they will come on stream.
    Me too I do feel sorry for the staff working in understaffed positions is highly stressful. Any idea on why Eir might lie about experiencing an unusually large number of calls. This sounds bad no matter how you spin it, explaining that they are restructuring in order to improve service is not only the truth but sounds much better.
    Also they must know their customers can read about whats going on in the papers.

explaining that they are restructuring in order to improve service is not only the truth but sounds much better.
    Also they must know their customers can read about whats going on in the papers.

They basically fired HLS (or whatever their indian callcenter-provider is called) without having the new call-centers up, running and staff trained.

Looks like another managerial budget decision.

/M

Me too I do feel sorry for the staff working in understaffed positions is highly stressful. Any idea on why Eir might lie about experiencing an unusually large number of calls. This sounds bad no matter how you spin it, explaining that they are restructuring in order to improve service is not only the truth but sounds much better.

I've no idea why they've gone with that line. I'd agree with you that actually telling the truth would have been the better policy.

I've no idea why they've gone with that line. I'd agree with you that actually telling the truth would have been the better policy.

I'd actually understand the lie if the truth was not being reported publicly. It really shows a a level of extreme contempt for customers. They could have used the restructuring story and used some half truths and it wouldn't have sounded so bad.

Vodafone now have an Eircode checker up. I have checked a few live rural open eir FTTH Eircodes and they are all passing.

Current pricing is:

150Mb €25 for 6 months, €55 thereafter

300Mb €25 for 6 months, €65 thereafter

1Gb €25 for 6 months, €90 thereafter

No mention of contract length or installation charges.

https://www.vodafone.ie/home/gigabit-address-checker

Vodafone now have an Eircode checker up. I have checked a few live rural open eir FTTH Eircodes and they are all passing.

It's 18 months contracts with Vodafone. And yes, they increased their coverage from about 93k to the entire rollout about a week ago or so.

/M

• Advertisement

Current pricing is:

150Mb €25 for 6 months, €55 thereafter

300Mb €25 for 6 months, €65 thereafter

1Gb €25 for 6 months, €90 thereafter

No mention of contract length or installation charges.

https://www.vodafone.ie/home/gigabit-address-checker

I show as available on their checker. Airwire has me down as available from 21 Nov. Vodafone likely trying to get a jump on other providers and get early orders.

I show as available on their checker. Airwire has me down as available from 21 Nov. Vodafone likely trying to get a jump on other providers and get early orders.

No. They've just done the same as Eir and ignored the ready-for-order date.

They can't pass the order to OpenEIR before the date that is mentioned on the Airwire checker. Airwire will also take your order before then, they just make it clear, that your line isn't ready before then.

It'll be also interesting, how often Vodafone is going to update that. Their SIRO data on that checker is currently from end of August. The checker tests for both SIRO and OpenEIR in one go.

/M

Yeah probably similar to what eir retail do. They'll take pre-orders for upcoming launches. I assume you're passing in the eir check also?

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

Yeah probably similar to what eir retail do. They'll take pre-orders for upcoming launches. I assume you're passing in the eir check also?

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

No the eir checker fails.

No the eir checker fails.

That's a bit strange alright. As Marlow said the Airwire check is the most informative as it actually gives the proposed Ready For Order date.

That's a bit strange alright. As Marlow said the Airwire check is the most informative as it actually gives the proposed Ready For Order date.

Yeah that's what I've been going off. Although a few on here has said that eir wouldn't let them order the day before they were due to go live, so maybe they aren't taking pre-orders whereas Vodafone are.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Yes we can all agree on that.

True, but not only an education issue.

It is a matter of providing to the customer, the required details, in an easily accessible manner.

Of course the customer does not believe what they are told.
    Read the threads on boards to see why!
    Lies, lies and damned lies is what have been told to customers over the years.

It is long past the time for providers to take responsibility for what has been going on for many years.

If you could provide some links to this mystical equipment that will show this data, maybe I can recommend it to some providers I know.

Regarding ethical providers (of which there are a few) having to put up with users pre-conceptions from when they were mistreated by crappy providers in the past (and literally being called liars on the phone), what do you suggest the new, ethical provider does, to erase the sins of their predecessor? Other than tell the truth? Which they do and get crap because the old provider didn't?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

9726_9726 wrote: »
    If you could provide some links to this mystical equipment that will show this data, maybe I can recommend it to some providers I know.

That is the providers job, not the job of some unknown entity on boards!
    Regarding ethical providers (of which there are a few) having to put up with users pre-conceptions from when they were mistreated by crappy providers in the past (and literally being called liars on the phone), what do you suggest the new, ethical provider does, to erase the sins of their predecessor? Other than tell the truth? Which they do and get crap because the old provider didn't?!

I already made a suggestion in that post - dunno why you didn't quote it. :confused:
    Do you have a suggestion which might work? or better again which would work much better than any I or other customers might come up with?

They will continue to get 'crap' until they show they can be believed.
    Having someone with no responsibility on the end of a phone or chat is not going to do it.
    Those methods of communication have been soiled by those 'predecessors' (who still exist and continue to operate in that low manner).

If those ethical providers (yes I agree they do exist) really want to separate themselves from what has gone before, they will find a way.
    It is their business so it is up to them to improve their communications with prospective and existing customers.

Hopefully they will find a way as it would make things much better for all, not least themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Try plugging the machine directly into the router and then check the speed.
    Just dug out a battered old laptop that just about runs. BUT.... it has an ethernet port, something my current one doesn't have (waiting on a USB ethernet adapter). Anyway; I ran speedtest on the old relic (the laptop, not me!) and got....

7793864177.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Have my install tomorrow morning at 9am, but airwire router hasn't come yet. I assume the KN engineer will install regardless and it isn't a requirement to have a router available to test with?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement