Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

_sheep wrote: »
    Have my install tomorrow morning at 9am, but airwire router hasn't come yet. I assume the KN engineer will install regardless and it isn't a requirement to have a router available to test with?

There is no need for the router to do the installation, but you might want to get in touch with us, as your router should have arrived today. Unless the parcel postman just left it in a window or somewhere else. It happens. We ship with An Post currently, but parcels get delivered seperately sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Why do the KN installers have Eirs router in their van but other providers have to use the postal service?

tuxy wrote: »
    Why do the KN installers have Eirs router in their van but other providers have to use the postal service?

It's an extra service you can buy of OpenEIR, but it hasn't been worthwhile for us to do. It would tie up massive stock levels of routers with KN, when we use other installers in SIRO and in our own network.

You need quite a big volume of installations before it becomes viable.

I see and you do have a selection of routers too so it wouldn't be practical to have them all ready with the KN guys.

I see and you do have a selection of routers too so it wouldn't be practical to have them all ready with the KN guys.

That is correct. We would probably have to limit ourselves to one model only.

Nevermind the extras like DECT phones etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Vodafone are some shower of cowboys. I am with Vodafone FTTC at the moment (11.5 Mb/sec). FTTH from Openeir is available since last week. I have phoned Vodafone 3 times over the last month, asking them about their FTTH offering (via Openeir), but their sales staff knew nothing about it. Each time they promised to call back, but never did.

So, I have signed up with a different provider and KN are calling tomorrow (Tuesday) to connect me.

And what has happened just now? A Vodafone rep has called to my door and offered me 150/30 for €25 per month for the first 6 months and €55 per month after that. And €7.50 per month for anytime landline calls within Ireland and to the UK. €100 installation fee. That is considerably cheaper than what I have signed up for, with the other provider.

I am within the cooling off period and the Vodafone rep advised me to cancel. But I won't.

I would gladly have gone with Airwire, but their phone package did not suit my particular needs. They told me I could get a different VOIP provider, but I didn't want the hassle of dealing with 2 outfits.

Anyway, what is done, is done. I will have a look around again, at the end of 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I just got my Airwire FTTH installation completed today. The KN guys were very obliging, the job was done in about 3 hours with no hiccups at all. I had a Vodafone rep call twice over the last number of weeks and I was aware their offering was cheaper, but I was more than happy to give the business to Airwire. Looking back at the last 20 years or so where I live, I started with dial up (56 Kbit/s), then ISDN in 2001 (128 Kbit/s), followed by DSL in 2005 (7Mbps or thereabouts) and now finally 130Mbps with potential for 1Gbps. Still getting used to windows updates downloading in about 1 minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Different levels of agreement with providers. Eir pretty much let kn do all their work bar carriers and ISDN's and faults through natural line degradation or acts of God.
    Sky supply their installers for modems and internal wiring, dish installation
    All kn are responsible for is the line. Kn don't get involved with anything else unless it's an eir customer or a Vodafone job with TV included.
    Basically eir will pay for whatever need doing in residential installations.

And as Martin said there's only so much that can fit in a van if gonna stock stuff needs to be just one type f2000 or hg659 can't accommodate tons of flavours in the back.

Having said that I've seen people start getting eir modems posted out to them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Darwin wrote: »
    I just got my Airwire FTTH installation completed today. The KN guys were very obliging, the job was done in about 3 hours with no hiccups at all. I had a Vodafone rep call twice over the last number of weeks and I was aware their offering was cheaper, but I was more than happy to give the business to Airwire. Looking back at the last 20 years or so where I live, I started with dial up (56 Kbit/s), then ISDN in 2001 (128 Kbit/s), followed by DSL in 2005 (7Mbps or thereabouts) and now finally 130Mbps with potential for 1Gbps. Still getting used to windows updates downloading in about 1 minute!

thats what I would be looking forward too - I will be going from (at times when its working OK) 11mbps fixed wireless to a 150mbps FTTH - so looking forward to it, cannot order it yet as its not available at my eircode address even though the DP's were put up in the summer ... but very soon I keep being told i will be able to order. - I repair computers for a living so I really will depend on it, yes same as, waiting for the updates to download are brutal on a slow speed.

Thats a fair amount of time especially as you say 'no hiccups at all' - if so straightforward job (clear ducts) only 1 drill hole in wall, drill holes to put ODP/ONT box up on the wall and DP strait outside the house and all hunky dory with the OLT at the exchange that could surely all be done wiithin an hour / hour and half ... whats the rest of the time used for? - did you give installer cup o tea and piece of home-made cake and chatted to him a lot whilst he was doing it? :D

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Different levels of agreement with providers. Eir pretty much let kn do all their work bar carriers and ISDN's and faults through natural line degradation or acts of God.
    Sky supply their installers for modems and internal wiring, dish installation
    All kn are responsible for is the line. Kn don't get involved with anything else unless it's an eir customer or a Vodafone job with TV included.
    Basically eir will pay for whatever need doing in residential installations.

And as Martin said there's only so much that can fit in a van if gonna stock stuff needs to be just one type f2000 or hg659 can't accommodate tons of flavours in the back.

Having said that I've seen people start getting eir modems posted out to them

can see the logic - but i quite like the idea of the installer having everything with him (/her - is there any woman installers? , am sure there is but I only hear about men when installers are mentioned) . so when he has screwed the ODP and ONT to the wall and the Modem/router so that I can go before he starts to leave "hold on a mo, can I just check it before you go please" then do a speed test on my phone or laptop and if it hovers around 150mbps download mark I can go "good man, thank you for doing that, buy yourself a beer on me" - but if it wildly registers way out i can go "can you check everything is working right with the install please because the speed test says 3mbps and the ping is 128ms ) :D

• Advertisement

Thats a fair amount of time especially as you say 'no hiccups at all' - if so straightforward job (clear ducts) only 1 drill hole in wall, drill holes to put ODP/ONT box up on the wall and DP strait outside the house and all hunky dory with the OLT at the exchange that could surely all be done wiithin an hour / hour and half ... whats the rest of the time used for? - did you give installer cup o tea and piece of home-made cake and chatted to him a lot whilst he was doing it? :D

Cable has to be attached at the DP, then possibly moved along a few poles to make it to the correct one for the duct. Overhead line can take time to get right and ensure it has correct tension and is secured at both sides.
    The cable can be awkward to feed through the the duct or wall. May have to run the drill through it a few times before you get there. Fibre may have to be spliced a few time to get an acceptable signal level. All straight forward things that wouldn't be considered hiccups because of how frequently they occur and will never prevent an install from happening. Every building is different.

can see the logic - but i quite like the idea of the installer having everything with him (/her - is there any woman installers? , am sure there is but I only hear about men when installers are mentioned) . so when he has screwed the ODP and ONT to the wall and the Modem/router so that I can go before he starts to leave "hold on a mo, can I just check it before you go please" then do a speed test on my phone or laptop and if it hovers around 150mbps download mark I can go "good man, thank you for doing that

Well these are women truck drivers so I would think so but I've yet to meet one.

You're going to rate his ability on how good the wifi RX rates are on your phone or laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yep .. he's just added a whole lot of unknown interference factors to the job there, that have NOTHING to do with broadband or the product.

/M

Well these are women truck drivers so I would think so but I've yet to meet one.

You're going to rate his ability on how good the wifi RX rates are on your phone or laptop?

no, I will plug my laptop hard wired on my laptop then through lan 1 ethernet socket on the router and test it :)

EDIT: - and before you ask , yes my laptop has a 10/100/1000 card in it

no, I will plug my laptop hard wired on my laptop then through lan 1 ethernet socket on the router and test it :)

It was only after I got FTTH that I realised many of my devices were using ancient cable so were only connected at 100Mbit(90Mbit real world speeds)
    High quality cat5e is a minimum.

It was only after I got FTTH that I realised many of my devices were using ancient cable so were only connected at 100Mbit(90Mbit real world speeds)
    High quality cat5e is a minimum.

yes true - even at 90mps out of 150mbps I will feel like i have one the lotto - fastest internet I have used so far is 50mbps at my daughters place in frenchpark co.mayo and that seemed blisteringly fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

yes true - even at 90mps out of 150mbps I will feel like i have one the lotto - fastest internet I have used so far is 50mbps at my daughters place in frenchpark co.mayo and that seemed blisteringly fast

It's been fantastic since i've had it installed. Coming from having a poor Imagine connection which suffered terribly with slow speeds every late afternoon/evening - it's like chalk and cheese.

htcumw.jpg

Mr Velo wrote: »
    It's been fantastic since i've had it installed. Coming from having a poor Imagine connection which suffered terribly with slow speeds every late afternoon/evening - it's like chalk and cheese.

htcumw.jpg

brilliant - its like "welcome to the 21st century!" isnt it?

mind you if i havent the router I could take the fly-lead ethernet from the ONT and plug it into my laptop and enable Vlan tag 10 on my laptop's LAN socket and do a speedtest like that without a router shouldnt i be able to whilst the engineer here just to test shouldnt I be able to?

It's unsecure but yes it would work. Please don't bother the poor tech too much though. If there is a strong light signal coming into the house his job is done and everything else is up to the ISP.
    They are very careful the signal is up to spec.

• Advertisement

It's unsecure but yes it would work. Please don't bother the poor tech too much though. If there is a strong light signal coming into the house his job is done and everything else is up to the ISP.
    They are very careful the signal is up to spec.

no, i wont bother him - I will let him get on with it ,

When i was having our FWA fitted to the house the engineer tested everything including the speed with his own laptop before he went, I suppose its different with the FTTH guys though , all they have to make sure that the light is there at the ONT is it and thats that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

no, i wont bother him - I will let him get on with it ,

When i was having our FWA fitted to the house the engineer tested everything including the speed with his own laptop before he went, I suppose its different with the FTTH guys though , all they have to make sure that the light is there at the ONT is it and thats that?

FWA guy is working for a company that sells directly to consumers.

FTTH guy is working for a wholesale company. If there is light and you don't have internet, problem is most probably with your retail supplier. (% probability depends on your retail provider)

theres another question I would like to ask there if i may - as far as what people have said its not visible light at the connector its in the invisible infra red spectrum if I have understood it right?

So is it a case that the light is either there or not there and cannot be in between (like if the light was weak or not as strong as it should be) if the light is not as strong as it should be then (say if there was a bend in the F/O cable or if the end of the cable had dust or fingerprint on it) would the end user have absolutely no service if the light was weaker than it should be or would the speed just reduce?

I presume when you say if there is light there he has done his job that he has a piece of equipment to measure the light for intensity etc ... yes? before he leaves /signs job off ?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108600768

Will work just fine at 1 gbit with the signal as low as -27dBm, OE's minimum tolerance is currently -18dBm

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108600768

Will work just fine at 1 gbit with the signal as low as -27dBm, OE's minimum tolerance is currently -18dBm

Many thanks. See I still have a way to go but soon after all this I shall be one of the ftth officiado's .... Maybe :) it's all a learning curve

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Many thanks. See I still have a way to go but soon after all this I shall be one of the ftth officiado's .... Maybe :) it's all a learning curve

So wait, you finally got FTTH?

Also is that a EEVBlog reference or am I just too drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I presume when you say if there is light there he has done his job that he has a piece of equipment to measure the light for intensity etc ... yes? before he leaves /signs job off ?

My installer came up to me and said “he was all done,was heading off and that he was getting a good 300mbps signal (correct as per my package) so all was good” so I’d guess they have a laptop or something to test the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Cable has to be attached at the DP, then possibly moved along a few poles to make it to the correct one for the duct. Overhead line can take time to get right and ensure it has correct tension and is secured at both sides.
    The cable can be awkward to feed through the the duct or wall. May have to run the drill through it a few times before you get there. Fibre may have to be spliced a few time to get an acceptable signal level. All straight forward things that wouldn't be considered hiccups because of how frequently they occur and will never prevent an install from happening. Every building is different.

Well it turned out their safety officer arrived on site and that held up the show a bit :D. We also had a line of trees that were somewhat in the way of the cable so it took a bit of adjustment to keep the line clear of them. The work in and around the house was done very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Our kitchen is at the other side of the ETU so if the installer drilled here, it would result in the the cable entering below a granite worktop. I'm trying to figure out possible routes the cable could then take. Will they drill through internal walls as part of the installation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The eir Talk To forum seems to have been closed.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1293

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement