Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The eir Talk To forum seems to have been closed.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1293

:D

I wonder if they will close the Chat also.

That should complete the shutdown of customer communication paths, as it is near impossible to get through on 1901, and no email addy available either.

I thought eir were supposed to be a communications operator? :rolleyes:

Ah, just remembered, there is the option of snail mail of course .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

polaris68 wrote: »
    Our kitchen is at the other side of the ETU so if the installer drilled here, it would result in the the cable entering below a granite worktop. I'm trying to figure out possible routes the cable could then take. Will they drill through internal walls as part of the installation?

Yes, they will drill through internal walls. Our kitchen was also the other side of the ETU, and we had two double sockets nearby, so it was the easiest place to put the modem and the other bits. The signal is on the weak side upstairs, but I kept my old router but will plug it into a powerline adapter and use it as an access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

polaris68 wrote: »
    Will they drill through internal walls as part of the installation?

Pretty much no, internal wiring would be your responsibility.
    They will in general install the other side of the etu, but if you have ducting in place they will follow that.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The OpenEIR chat has already been closed. Just saying. Just a matter of time before they do that on Eir retail also.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Still down for the 21st and have already ordered with Airwire.

It's the hope that kills. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That should complete the shutdown of customer communication paths, as it is near impossible to get through on 1901, and no email addy available either.

I thought eir were supposed to be a communications operator? :rolleyes:

Ah, just remembered, there is the option of snail mail of course .....

You only have to continue with your contract with them if they provide the service being paid for. If they make it too difficult to inform them of problems that is giving people an out from their contracts, I would have thought.

My installer came up to me and said “he was all done,was heading off and that he was getting a good 300mbps signal (correct as per my package) so all was good” so I’d guess they have a laptop or something to test the speed.

My installer used a device resembling a large multimeter to test the cable signal with. Pretty sure he said it was -6 db which sounds about 3 orders of magnitude better than my copper DSL was. He had to re-do the termination of the cable as it wasn't working as the end of the fibre probably didn't shear clean and true the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

cnocbui wrote: »
    My installer used a device resembling a large multimeter to test the cable signal with. Pretty sure he said it was -6 db which sounds about 3 orders of magnitude better than my copper DSL was. He had to re-do the termination of the cable as it wasn't working as the end of the fibre probably didn't shear clean and true the first time.

It definitely wasn't -6dBm as the ONT will be overloaded with a power greater than -8dBm and will not function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

The poll that the DP is on seems a little too far down from out house to string it overhead. Is it possible they could bring it from the DP to the poll just opposite our house and then bring it overhead from there? I've got no idea how this ducting/underground thing works at all tbh.

• Advertisement

correction wrote: »
    The poll that the DP is on seems a little too far down from out house to string it overhead. Is it possible they could bring it from the DP to the poll just opposite our house and then bring it overhead from there? I've got no idea how this ducting/underground thing works at all tbh.

Yes. It doesn't have to go direct from the pole the DP is on. They can use the intermediate poles.

Temporarily apparently. They must have made the reps redundant and new ones are undergoing generic response training.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057928726

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

That's impossible it doesn't even come off the pole at any less than -11db at a push. You sure he didn't say -16db?
    Anyway dB isn't a measure of your speed or anything like that it just means it's done right it's not like someone who gets -13db has something to brag about over someone who gets -16db. The same service comes through

babi-hrse wrote: »
    That's impossible the cable is -8db on its own. You sure he didn't say -16db?
    Anyway dB isn't a measure of your speed or anything like that it just means it's done right it's not like someone who gets -13db has something to brag about over someone who gets -16db. The same service comes through

It's not the cable which has an attenuation of ~ 0.35dB per Km. The main attenuation is from the splitters, a 1:4 is about 6dB and a 1:8 is about 9dB. As you said it's impossible a signal could reach a premises at -6dBm coming through two split levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

reports of eir vans and engineers swamped our village today ... well OK most probably not swamped .

Maybe , just maybe they are putting the finishing touches just for me so I can get to order FTTH finally

Some people in the village have been having awful trouble with service (or non existence of service) who are with eir (ADSL & recently connected to the FTTC thats just become live) - I have been telling them that its most probably teething problems because the cabinet has only gone fibre live and that they are sorting out the cabinets as well as finishing off FTTH so there is bound to be some disruptions to the services at the moment - I am presuming thats what it is and thats why people on facebook in our area are saying "eir is down again for us , how is it for everyone else in the village?"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My installer was not happy with the tests he did on first connection, and re-did the connection of the fibre, also.

I admit to not taking any real interest in the piece of test equipment he used.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    That's impossible it doesn't even come off the pole at any less than -11db at a push. You sure he didn't say -16db?

Yes it was probably 16 I heard. I have known what db are for at least 4 decades.

I do get that the speed isn't likely signal strength dependent in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

nice one - i'm still not available to order according to the check but thats not your fault Martin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Good riddance. Everyone please thank https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057928726 Niamh for getting rid of it.

m99T wrote: »
    Good riddance. Everyone please thank https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057928726 Niamh for getting rid of it.

There is no chance Boards closed it. It's too important a revenue stream for them. It's only a temporary closure anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

It's not the cable which has an attenuation of ~ 0.35dB per Km. The main attenuation is from the splitters, a 1:4 is about 6dB and a 1:8 is about 9dB. As you said it's impossible a signal could reach a premises at -6dBm coming through two split levels.

Yeah no I realised that and edited my post or at least I think I edited my post it's -8db off my signal generator another tool entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Id have to say well done to Airwire and this proves the quality of their connection.

Im on the 300/50 connection now, and here's what Im getting....no short changing there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There is no chance Boards closed it. It's too important a revenue stream for them. It's only a temporary closure anyway.

I contacted Niamh as I was confused about what was happening as there was no announcement yesterday, the forum just closed around 4pm.
    Boards had hoped that it would only be for a few days but it would seem it will be longer than that. I'd say Eir are trying to decide if they will keep it as it's possibly lost them potential customers.

tuxy wrote: »
    I contacted Niamh as I was confused about what was happening as there was no announcement yesterday, the forum just closed around 4pm.
    Boards had hoped that it would only be for a few days but it would seem it will be longer than that. I'd say Eir are trying to decide if they will keep it as it's possibly lost them potential customers.

They shut their own community forum on the 17th of August mentioning Boards as a means of contact. It'll be bad form if they close another outlet just a few months later.

https://www.eir.ie/communityretirement/

True perhaps it will only be closed until they have finished bringing everything back in house and everyone is trained in. It's going to be a few months though. It was clear they didn't have the staff levels to run 1901 which probably has a higher priority than the boards forum.

Funny how it was closed less than 4 hours after I made this post, maybe Eir do listen after all.
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057928382

True perhaps it will only be closed until they have finished bringing everything back in house and everyone is trained in. It's going to be a few months though. It was clear they didn't have the staff levels to run 1901 which probably has a higher priority than the boards forum.

Funny how it was closed less than 4 hours after I made this post, maybe Eir do listen after all.
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057928382

@eircare on Twitter is still active and they are being hammered about call wait times on that. I don't know if this handover in customer care is going worse than planned but it has been terrible for the brand's reputation which wasn't great to begin with.

I wonder if it will actually have a big impact on their long term profit margins. As I said before the level of contempt shown to customers has gone beyond that of the other major players(who also have a poor reputation)
    It would seem their strategy is to undercut everyone with an introductory offer for new customers, this will be backed by a massive advertising campaign. Hope that only a few people will leave after the 12 month contract. Lose more people as time goes on from poor customer service and offers from competitors.
    Then back to step one, undercut everyone again, rope people back into 12 month contracts, more adverts everywhere thanks to the large marketing budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

_sheep wrote: »
    So today 7/11/18 ordering is live for me and my mate who are in houses side by side. He went with eir and me with airwire. He got his appointment this morning from Eir that his install will be Monday AM 12/11/18 and I'm still waiting for notification.

Had my install today as planned, im getting as close to the 1000/100 as overheads will allow. A few times fast.com has reported a connection of 1.2 or 1.3gbps....

I thought my router hadn't arrived in time from airwire, turns out a neighbor had signed for the delivery. I emailed airwire support (outside of business hours) and got an instant reply of the tracking number, knew which door to knock on.

My friend next door that had ordered from Eir, who had his install date before mine still doesn't have his. Someone called him the morning of his install to say there was a problem with his order (eircode or something) and he would get a call later in the week when it was resolved.

Airwire found an issue with mine as well but had it resolved before they gave me an install date, I'm guessing my friend next door needed the same fix but Eir didnt pick it up as quick?

Either way, mighty impressed with airwire.

Nice one! You're probably getting the max speed gigabit ethernet is capable of. Fast.com isn't very accurate as those speeds are not possible over gigabit lan.

I hope your friend has lots of free time as the 1901 wait time is now up to 2 hours

https://twitter.com/msgflynn/status/1062425630745288704

• Advertisement

Nice one! You're probably getting the max speed gigabit ethernet is capable of. Fast.com isn't very accurate as those speeds are not possible over gigabit lan.

I hope your friend has lots of free time as the 1901 wait time is now up to 2 hours

I wonder what the record time for being on hold is? I managed two one hour calls myself recently and it looks like I'll have to call again in the next few days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement