Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

_sheep wrote: »
    Only for hes stuck in a landline/mobile contract they would have lost his business, bet thats true for thousands of people at the moment....

Bundles are evil. You may think you save money. But at the end of the day, you don't. (Hassle/Work/Troubles can also be summed up in money)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

_sheep wrote: »
    Mate has had to re-order his fiber after spending hours on hold trying to find out what was going on, so hes starting the whole process again - would be funny if it wasn't such a common occurrence from what i read. Only for hes stuck in a landline/mobile contract they would have lost his business, bet thats true for thousands of people at the moment....

Your mate who ordered through eir and got an initial scheduled install date before you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

chris_ie wrote: »
    Your mate who ordered through eir and got an initial scheduled install date before you?

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

So, is eir installing FTTH as a priority if people order from eir?

The installers are not told, what provider they're installing for. They don't know. Also, Eir doesn't install anything. OpenEIR instructs KN to do the installation.

Eir is retail .. and treated the same as every other provider. The only difference being, that installers carry routers for Eir and Vodafone, but not most others. And that's down to special agreements.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I ordered from Airwire, mate ordered from eir. Eir got the order in first, infact the guy in the shop took the order 3 days before the airwire checker said it was available to order.

The day it was available to order (Wednesday) my mate got the call first thing that morning with an install date for Monday AM. I didnt hear anything until Thursday from Airwire, they said there was a problem they needed to resolve with the order before they placed it, i then got an install date for Tuesday AM.

Monday AM my mate gets a calls to say there is a problem to do with his eircode and someone will be in contact. Me (next door) gets a fully completed install the next day as scheduled.

Mate spends days and hours trying to get eir on the phone to get a new install date. Gets told there is a problem on the system and they setup a new order for him, still waiting on a new install date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

The longer it is before I can order the more I'm edging towards Airwire. I could do without BT Sport, I can still switch the mobiles to eir separately, whenever they get past the crisis they're in at the moment, and still get use of the eir wifi calling as its not tied to the eir broadband. Will work out an extra €190 over the 12 months going with Airwire but less chance of having any hassle.

Got word from our current ISP (Fastcom FWA) today by email who said FTTH should be sorted out in our area and ready to order on Monday (19th that is then) I think open eir originally told me in a twitter DM it would be first week in December - I have asked them how much installation & connection charge , got a feeling it will be standard 130eur or whatever it is these days . Sort of hoping because we have been customers of theirs for so many years on FWA they might do a special deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Marlow wrote: »
    The installers are not told, what provider they're installing for. They don't know. Also, Eir doesn't install anything. OpenEIR instructs KN to do the installation.

Eir is retail .. and treated the same as every other provider. The only difference being, that installers carry routers for Eir and Vodafone, but not most others. And that's down to special agreements.

/M
    Yep; KN did my install.

Got word from our current ISP (Fastcom FWA) today by email who said FTTH should be sorted out in our area and ready to order on Monday (19th that is then) I think open eir originally told me in a twitter DM it would be first week in December - I have asked them how much installation & connection charge , got a feeling it will be standard 130eur or whatever it is these days . Sort of hoping because we have been customers of theirs for so many years on FWA they might do a special deal.

Monday the 19th they say ? That's funny .. because the current APQ won't be updated until the 20th and as per the list currently available, you're obviously not.

I wonder, who they talked to ? Santa ?

I have heard of single premises being added mid-week after an APQ has been released, but never a whole bunch of 100+

Unless they got their info the wrong way around and it's 19.12., which makes perfectly sense .. because that's a Wednesday .. a lot of the RFO dates fall on a Wednesday, it seems. That's at least a pattern that has emerged from looking at the release dates over the last 2 years.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Open eir mainly fix faults while farming all the installs out to kn in some cases they do installs themselves. I have come across a couple of fibre installs that were not done by kn. Maybe they're gearing up to start doing ftth installs just training their apprentices up they have taken alot on in recent years. Kn could be the workforce they use until they retire off the old crews.
    Maybe it's just cheaper to farm out the installs.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Open eir mainly fix faults while farming all the installs out to kn in some cases they do installs themselves. I have come across a couple of fibre installs that were not done by kn. Maybe they're gearing up to start doing ftth installs just training their apprentices up they have taken alot on in recent years. Kn could be the workforce they use until they retire off the old crews.
    Maybe it's just cheaper to farm out the installs.

Rumors with some of the KN guys, that I've dealt with, is that it looks like most will be working for OpenEIR directly next year. Obviously it's too pricey for them outsourcing it.

The owner change and the plans to do Urban FTTH from mid next year can then have completely reversed all of that again.

/M

Monday the 19th they say ? That's funny .. because the current APQ won't be updated until the 20th and as per the list currently available, you're obviously not.

I have heard of single premises being added mid-week after an APQ has been released, but never a whole bunch of 100+

Unless they got their info the wrong way around and it's 19.12., which makes perfectly sense .. because that's a Wednesday .. a lot of the RFO dates fall on a Wednesday, it seems. That's at least a pattern that has emerged from looking at the release dates over the last 2 years.

/M

ah right - well thanks for raining on my parade anyway :)

- when it happens it will happen I suppose ... could be worse and it could be 1998 and replying to this by Dial-Up 56k ...

we had Defusion Utility Services along with open eir doing installs of our DP's in the summer in our area, thought it unusual it wasnt KN working with OE because I had never seen this Defusion crowd before

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

we had Defusion Utility Services along with open eir doing installs of our DP's in the summer in our area, thought it unusual it wasnt KN working with OE because I had never seen this Defusion crowd before

KN also sub contract

fritzelly wrote: »
    KN also sub contract

ah right so OE sub-contracts to KN and then KN could Sub-Contract to whoever if they want/need to?

ah right so OE sub-contracts to KN and then KN could Sub-Contract to whoever if they want/need to?

Yep defusion fuse the ribbon splices in do ports to the fibres on the overhead cable feeding the area.
    If there is a break in service in the area due to a tree pulling network down defusion would be the chaps to reconnect and re'fuse connections together.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Yep defusion fuse the ribbon splices in do ports to the fibres on the overhead cable feeding the area.
    If there is a break in service in the area due to a tree pulling network down defusion would be the chaps to reconnect and re'fuse connections together.

ah right thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Defusion is based in Cloghan Co Offaly

Defusion is based in Cloghan Co Offaly

aye .. and??? :)

• Advertisement

/M

- just got word back they were talking about FTTC being available to order on monday :rolleyes:

the way it is with our FWA we are getting 11mbps and with FTTC we would get 7mbps because of the distance of the cabinets away from our house so i wont be able going down that route .

They have no dates / idea when they can supply FTTH to us ... :(

Rumors with some of the KN guys, that I've dealt with, is that it looks like most will be working for OpenEIR directly next year. Obviously it's too pricey for them outsourcing it.

The owner change and the plans to do Urban FTTH from mid next year can then have completely reversed all of that again.

/M

I haven't heard anything like that but both have been bought by the same company. But as I understand nothing on the ground changes.

There was a buzz about urban ftth rollout but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

- just got word back they were talking about FTTC being available to order on monday :rolleyes:

the way it is with our FWA we are getting 11mbps and with FTTC we would get 7mbps because of the distance of the cabinets away from our house so i wont be able going down that route .

They have no dates / idea when they can supply FTTH to us ... :(

'A watched pot, never boils'

VDSL. Calling that Fibre is as wrong as calling Imagines service "fibre powered".

So your fixed wireless provider also should be reported to the ASAI .. not that they do anything about that. FTTC is copper, not fibre.

Anyhow .. told ya :p That VDSL/FTTC was coming has been visible on the Airwire checker for weeks.

/M

VDSL. Calling that Fibre is as wrong as calling Imagines service "fibre powered".

So your fixed wireless provider also should be reported to the ASAI .. not that they do anything about that. FTTC is copper, not fibre.

Anyhow .. told ya :p That VDSL/FTTC was coming has been visible on the Airwire checker for weeks.

/M

you indeed were right

they would most probably be able to cover themselves by saying that its fibre powered to the cabinet if they were reported could they not? so not technically 'totally' fibre but 'bits of it'

you indeed were right

they would most probably be able to cover themselves by saying that its fibre powered to the cabinet if they were reported could they not? so not technically 'totally' fibre but 'bits of it'

By that definition even your current connection from them is fibre. Because it ends on fibre in Sligo town or maybe even before that.

/M

you indeed were right

End of the day most people don't care what it's called as long as they are getting decent BB
    Many people call BB wifi - that's as far as their understanding of the technologies extends.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Many people call BB wifi - that's as far as their understanding of the technologies extends.

You mean the wifi that gets imported from China and that always is in short supply ?

/M

By that definition even your current connection from them is fibre. Because it ends on fibre in Sligo town or maybe even before that.

/M

wow - imagine that, I have been on fibre all this time and I didn't even realise :D

• Advertisement

You mean the wifi that gets imported from China and that always is in short supply ?

/M

Duty and import taxes - that's why it's so expensive and takes so long to get it here.
    If only people realised what it takes to get it here in the first place :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement