Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Has anyone ever seen these things before. When I say anyone I'm probably expecting (edE Navi and Marlow specifically to possibly have an idea what it is)
    Some point to point telephone system mounted on telegraph poles? The customers said they were useless some eir trial equipment that was trialed and failed now lies obselete. Is on private grounds so I'd assume the owner of the place said no unsightly telephone lines streaking across the idyllic landscape so opted for what was probably sold as bleeding edge at the time and now is the only infrastructure there as noone knows how to manage or deal with it.
    Again that's my thought process on it anyone have a name for this system or know anything about it. It's the first time I've even seen a system like this implemented by eir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen these things before. When I say anyone I'm probably expecting (edE Navi and Marlow specifically to possibly have an idea what it is)
    Some point to point telephone system mounted on telegraph poles? The customers said they were useless some eir trial equipment that was trialed and failed now lies obselete. Is on private grounds so I'd assume the owner of the place said no unsightly telephone lines streaking across the idyllic landscape so opted for what was probably sold as bleeding edge at the time and now is the only infrastructure there as noone knows how to manage or deal with it.
    Again that's my thought process on it anyone have a name for this system or know anything about it. It's the first time I've even seen a system like this implemented by eir.

I've no idea. Never seen anything like it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

12 x analog wireless phone lines ? :) . .. the type that won't do more than 9600 baud dial-up .. if at all ... that looks like a nasty hack for somebody trying to get something that resembles a partial PRI without the data capability.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Had 2 installation dates .The 2 failed. Last one was a blocked ducting on the road.
    Had the civils come and sort it. Great lads , unblocked ducting and ran all the cable. Really sound lads as well.
    Thought thats it I'm sorted. Boy that was the easy part. Rang Eir to bring it on and give me an installation date now I'm all ready.
    Jesus what a nightmare. 4 hours on the phone, cut off a few times waited for almost 2 hours .
    Finally got through but I can't get an installation date because Open Eir haven't put it up on the system yet. So they gave me number for Open Eir .
    Girl there tell me its all put through and they have to wait for installation date from Eir. So ring Eir again ,office closed so onto web chat. Another hour passes and then he tells me to ring 1901.
    Sick sh*t of them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If civils were only out today then that won't feed back into the system til tomorrow (sometimes they update after the job but not usually, but thats relying on someone in OE to change it to reschedule allowed)

• Advertisement

codie wrote: »
    Had 2 installation dates .The 2 failed. Last one was a blocked ducting on the road.
    Had the civils come and sort it. Great lads , unblocked ducting and ran all the cable. Really sound lads as well.
    Thought thats it I'm sorted. Boy that was the easy part. Rang Eir to bring it on and give me an installation date now I'm all ready.
    Jesus what a nightmare. 4 hours on the phone, cut off a few times waited for almost 2 hours .
    Finally got through but I can't get an installation date because Open Eir haven't put it up on the system yet. So they gave me number for Open Eir .
    Girl there tell me its all put through and they have to wait for installation date from Eir. So ring Eir again ,office closed so onto web chat. Another hour passes and then he tells me to ring 1901.
    Sick sh*t of them

Try ringing kn directly If they have your appointment you won't have to go through eir.

Try ringing kn directly If they have your appointment you won't have to go through eir.

Rang them but they can't do anything until Eir requests them to do installation

fritzelly wrote: »
    If civils were only out today then that won't feed back into the system til tomorrow (sometimes they update after the job but not usually, but thats relying on someone in OE to change it to reschedule allowed)

One is saying it is updated the other is saying it isn't. Had it fixed couple of days ago so imagine it would all of gone through

Aye . civils team reports back to OpenEIR, job clears in the system, provider is requested re-schedule (4 works days to allow for that) .. KN goes out and re-attends.

And every system change takes 24 hours ... OpenEIRs systems are ancient. Nothing can be done in an hour.

So civils to OpenEIR ..... wait for 8am system update for it to show in Eir ...and then Eirs own systems may add more delays ... Eir then reschedules with you, but has to leave 4 work days notice. KN may or may not pull the job forward then.

/M

Oh .. and the disconnect after 2 hours is normal for most mobile system. I end up in a 4-8 hour conference call sometimes.

I have to dial back in every 2 hours. On the button. It's an automatic disconnect.

So if you rang 1901 from a mobile .. that's that right there.

/M

• Advertisement

One is saying it is updated the other is saying it isn't. Had it fixed couple of days ago so imagine it would all of gone through

Happens often enough, doesn't get fed back or gets fed back and gets missed so your order stays in limbo. Only way is to get on to eir so they can get on to OE to get it checked and if you're lucky a few days later you can make an appointment, or OE play hard ball and the best thing to do is cancel the order and reorder.

Marlow wrote: »
    12 x analog wireless phone lines ? :) . .. the type that won't do more than 9600 baud dial-up .. if at all ... that looks like a nasty hack for somebody trying to get something that resembles a partial PRI without the data capability.

/M

These things were feeding a block of private houses on the grounds of a resort each one of those transmitter/receivers had a coax cable running to a house the cable was coiled on on the ground in places showing no upkeep I'd say it was put up out there in the late 80s or 90s

Would I be right in saying you wouldn't want this pointed anywhere near your attic in LOS

Happens often enough, doesn't get fed back or gets fed back and gets missed so your order stays in limbo. Only way is to get on to eir so they can get on to OE to get it checked and if you're lucky a few days later you can make an appointment, or OE play hard ball and the best thing to do is cancel the order and reorder.

Cancelling isn't easy ,near impossible

best thing to do is cancel the order and reorder.

Sometimes I think that's the intentional approach to keep the metrics look good.
    These things were feeding a block of private houses on the grounds of a resort each one of those transmitter/receivers had a coax cable running to a house the cable was coiled on on the ground in places showing no upkeep I'd say it was put up out there in the late 80s or 90s

Would I be right in saying you wouldn't want this pointed anywhere near your attic in LOS

Those are wireless phone lines so. Just the standard stuff they used. Low frequency. Nothing to worry about. But probably quite a bit of power on them, when active. I mean the old stuff .. not the GSM stuff. 12 lines ..

I found an ard-id this weekend that has no less than 120 analog lines .. and 2 USO (also analog). That should make for a fair bit of heat :)

/M

Cancelling isn't easy ,near impossible

Only through myeir .. if you've kept the email with the UAN number ... or .... ringing the cancellation .. now that's extra fun .. if you think the wait on the queue you were in was long ... that one is even longer.

/M

Only through myeir .. if you've kept the email with the UAN number ... or .... ringing the cancellation .. now that's extra fun .. if you think the wait on the queue you were in was long ... that one is even longer.

/M

Really need to call the connection center as loyalty are for active accounts and they will likely just pass it over to them

Think rest of the customer care are gone in the next 10 days so expect the wait time to increase and and the sense of someone knowing what you are calling about going drastically down

Phrase of the day
    We haven't got poor customer service, we are just under staffed.
    Had a good laugh at that one

They sometimes do cancel and restart a customer's order as Marlow says makes it look better instead of showing long lead times. But when it's on the back of work to be done getting an order cancelled can prolong things.
    I've had jobs that fail for too far request a pole to be placed. Customer rings after a few days just trying to find out what the story with the pole is... I end up meeting them 2 months later and say what happened there's no pole yet?
    They said:
    ...the provider said ok were just gonna cancel this order cos it looks a bit messy and start you off on a fresh one. This means the civils request I sent in for open eir to place a pole which was attached to the service order went in the bin with the old order that got deleted. Which means I have to do another survey for a pole request.
    This has happened to some.
    There's been orders that only show as second attempt whereas the customer said they've lost count of how many people they've seen and have about 6 text messages all with different service order numbers

They sometimes do cancel and restart a customer's order as Marlow says makes it look better instead of showing long lead times.

Actually most of the time its because someone fecked up the order e.g. couldn't even get the address correct or incapable of checking did they say M or N for the eircode (or just make it up to get a sale)
    Do say only go for the cancel/reprovide if you are 100% sure nothing else is left to do (never failed yet to get it installed a few days later)

or incapable of checking did they say M or N for the eircode (or just make it up to get a sale)

This there ... right there .. do you know, how many invalid eircodes, that never ever have existed, are in the OE database ? A LOT !!

It's not that hard. OpenEIR (and Eir) have an eircode license .. they have to, because that's what the FTTH system build on.

Real time check of the eircode in the order entry system. Job done ...

And then eircode validation in OE .. when orders come in and before the APQ gets pushed to providers. None .. I kid you not.

But hey .. that's rocket science right there. It's funny that other providers manage to do it.

/M

• Advertisement

Wholesale customer care and eir don't have access to eircode.ie for checking eircodes (well not beyond the 15 free uses lol)
    OE are looking at getting the licence - not sure how their internal systems work but that is a seperate licencing issue

Wholesale customer care and eir don't have access to eircode.ie for checking eircodes (well not beyond the 15 free uses lol)
    OE are looking at getting the licence - not sure how their internal systems work but that is a seperate licencing issue

Erhmm ... they have to have a license. Sure, they're making every wholesale partner get a license, too.

Also, they couldn't have done any of the mapping for FTTH without the eircode license. Because you don't get the eircode/gps relation without a full ECAD license.

So .. somebody in there is sitting on a license.

And as for Eir staff .. even if it's using eircode.ie .. ever heard of using the anonymous mode of the browser ? eircode.ie 15 per day limit is cookie based :) .. clear cookie .. get another 15 goes. There are ZERO excuses not to get this right. Even on the cheap.

/M

They may have a licence for the data but not for user access - trying to make sense of their licencing arrangements!
    I was speaking to the boss in OE customer care and she told me they were looking at getting a licence for access - so I don't know.

They may have a licence for the data but not for user access - trying to make sense of their licencing arrangements!
    I was speaking to the boss in OE customer care and she told me they were looking at getting a licence for access - so I don't know.

License for infinite users is 30k/year. There's a lot of saving to be had for
    a big company like Eircom Plc having that. And that's raw data you can process and combine with your own data across the board.

I mean .. that can't be a big budget decision in that scope there.

/M

And that's raw data you can process and combine with your own data across the board.

/M

That's funny

That's funny

My statement ... or the fact that OE hasn't copped on to that ? :p

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Anyone have 50m fish tape reel handy? Going to see if I can get duct checked before any install attempts. ETU to the ntp at the road is bout 45m or so roughly. No access points between the two. Reels are steep enough price wise so I'll see if I can hire/borrow one somewhere.

Cheap enough from HK/China - if you prepare in advance! Could make for a nice little side business with the neighbours as well!

chris_ie wrote: »
    Anyone have 50m fish tape reel handy? Going to see if I can get duct checked before any install attempts. ETU to the ntp at the road is bout 45m or so roughly. No access points between the two. Reels are steep enough price wise so I'll see if I can hire/borrow one somewhere.

Borrow one of those Dyson fanless hairdryers and blow twine down through the middle of it might wend it's way through to the other side unless got shelf of water or blockage.

• Advertisement

Borrow one of those Dyson fanless hairdryers and blow twine down through the middle of it might wend it's way through to the other side unless got shelf of water or blockage.

Unless it's new ducting and you wanna get a drawstring in place it's not recommended - could end up with a worse blockage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement