Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

fritzelly wrote: »
    Cheap enough from HK/China - if you prepare in advance! Could make for a nice little side business with the neighbours as well!

Could do that alright, few houses about would need the same done! Although they could be installed by the time it would land from china!
    babi-hrse wrote: »
    Borrow one of those Dyson fanless hairdryers and blow twine down through the middle of it might wend it's way through to the other side unless got shelf of water or blockage.

Can't access the other side to see if gets through. Idea behind the fish tape was to feed it through til it stopped and measure the distance that went through. Hopefully it'd match the distance to the ntp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

chris_ie wrote: »
    Could do that alright, few houses about would need the same done!

Know a few people who have done exactly that - remember the tech will spend all of 5 mins trying to get the fibre thru and return the order as failed due to blocked ducting. But a bit longer of wiggling it could clear it.
    A few quid for a beer and job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Anyone have 50m fish tape reel handy? Going to see if I can get duct checked before any install attempts. ETU to the ntp at the road is bout 45m or so roughly. No access points between the two. Reels are steep enough price wise so I'll see if I can hire/borrow one somewhere.

Gortlee hire, they have a handy wee 50M Cobra reel that's only 20 or so euro for a day.

I broke it last time I took it out, but they said they would fixed it. No more NWEWN/Bluebox Chris?? Give me a shout if you need a hand, did one in Newton there and had a look at a few others now!

Funny, just looking at our messages from 2015 talking about the NPB. Its actually gone backwards in the 3 years since then.

m99T wrote: »
    Gortlee hire, they have a handy wee 50M Cobra reel that's only 20 or so euro for a day.

I broke it last time I took it out, but they said they would fixed it. No more NWEWN/Bluebox Chris?? Give me a shout if you need a hand, did one in Newton there and had a look at a few others now!

Funny, just looking at our messages from 2015 talking about the NPB. Its actually gone backwards in the 3 years since then.

Nice one, I'll check with Gortlee, cheers. Yeah will be good to get away from the WISPs! Thankfully we didn't need to wait on the NBP and to think it seemed so promising initially... We're the second last house on the road open eir are passing, so got lucky.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Our available date has stayed as the 21st.

*tries not to get excited*

correction wrote: »
    Our available date has stayed as the 21st.

*tries not to get excited*

Still 21st here aswell. Need to get the duct checked soon then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Hi Martin,

Could you check a couple of Eircodes via PM for me, please? ;)

BandMember wrote: »
    Hi Martin,

Could you check a couple of Eircodes via PM for me, please? ;)

What exactly are you looking for ? I mean do they fail ? Or are you looking for an estimated roll-out date ?

What exactly are you looking for ? I mean do they fail ? Or are you looking for an estimated roll-out date ?

I've checked them for a couple of people who are looking to get signed up with a service, but your website tells me to contact you to see if anything is available (I'm guessing that it'll be VDSL, at best).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Looks like a company called Whiteknight cabling is putting posts up outside the house for rural FTTH. Once this is done, roughly how long does it take to commission? Appreciate there will be a lot of variables, but some real examples would be interesting.

Thanks

I've checked them for a couple of people who are looking to get signed up with a service, but your website tells me to contact you to see if anything is available (I'm guessing that it'll be VDSL, at best).

You can PM me those. They might be quite far from a cabinet though, if it gives you that message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Looks like a company called Whiteknight cabling is putting posts up outside the house for rural FTTH. Once this is done, roughly how long does it take to commission? Appreciate there will be a lot of variables, but some real examples would be interesting.

Thanks

If they are replacing poles that means you are at the very start of the process. Six months or more I'd imagine would be a reasonable timeframe.

You can PM me those. They might be quite far from a cabinet though, if it gives you that message.

Thanks Martin, PM sent.

Thanks Martin, PM sent.

Those are too far from the cabinet. If you type the eircodes in on the fibrerollout.ie map at https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ , you can see they are outside of the green shaded area.

OpenEIR were connecting people to VDSL at the maximum distance of 2km before the FTTH rollout, but it is impossible to enable homes that are outside of those green areas now.

ADSL tends to deliver faster speeds at those distances, if the exchange is ADSL2 enabled, but we don't offer the older type products.

Those are too far from the cabinet. If you type the eircodes in on the fibrerollout.ie map at https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ , you can see they are outside of the green shaded area.

OpenEIR were connecting people to VDSL at the maximum distance of 2km before the FTTH rollout, but it is impossible to enable homes that are outside of those green areas now.

ADSL tends to deliver faster speeds at those distances, if the exchange is ADSL2 enabled, but we don't offer the older type products.

Thanks for that response, pretty much what I expected - even though they are both less than 1 km from cabinet. They'll have to wait I guess...

Thanks for that response, pretty much what I expected - even though they are both less than 1 km from cabinet. They'll have to wait I guess...

You can measure in the fibrerollout map (at the top, calculate distance, then set 2 dots). They are 1.3 and 1.5km as the crow flies from the nearest cabinet. So the cable run (by road) will be longer.

Our check actually calculates that in. On the VDSL check, it will be:
    - green (Available) if you are within 500m of a cabinet.
    - orange (Maybe available) if you are within 1000m of a cabinet.
    - blue (Check with sales) if you are further than 1000m from a cabinet or we have no data.

If they are replacing poles that means you are at the very start of the process. Six months or more I'd imagine would be a reasonable timeframe.

Oh wow, ok - is that from your experience from your install I take it?

Good to know in any case. We've been on an 8Mb wimax connection from Wicklow BB for 4 years or so. I know we're on the FTTH list but happy to wait as long as I know it's coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Oh wow, ok - is that from your experience from your install I take it?

Good to know in any case. We've been on an 8Mb wimax connection from Wicklow BB for 4 years or so. I know we're on the FTTH list but happy to wait as long as I know it's coming!

It's from a general observing of the project. Each piece of work is done by separate teams so you'll find there could be gaps of weeks between each job being completed. They may have streamlined their procedures as the rollout has progressed but I would not be banking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's from a general observing of the project. Each piece of work is done by separate teams so you'll find there could be gaps of weeks between each job being completed. They may have streamlined their procedures as the rollout has progressed but I would not be banking on it.

There's always the vague factor of council licenses and planning, that delays things. If OpenEIR hits a snag, they'll send the teams elsewhere and it may take a while for them to come back.

They don't like having teams idle. Carolan Lennon actually pointed that out at the National Telecoms Stakeholder Forum.

/M

• Advertisement

Appreciate the insight - thanks very much!

They dug the hole over a week ago but abandoned the work due to "bad weather" and haven't been back since so i certainly won't be holding my breath!

So I think I'll be going Airwire after all. I can live without BT Sport and would rather pay the extra for a better service with better support. Plus the effort that Martin et. al go to keeping people informed on here speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Marlow wrote: »
    There's always the vague factor of council licenses and planning, that delays things. If OpenEIR hits a snag, they'll send the teams elsewhere and it may take a while for them to come back.

They don't like having teams idle. Carolan Lennon actually pointed that out at the National Telecoms Stakeholder Forum.

/M

Yeah I'd say they'll blame the delay on anybody but themselves - they tried that in my area and I found out the council hadn't blocked them in anyway.
    The internet officer(some councils have appointed them) from my area was very quick to point out that planning had already been given and he didn't know what they were talking about. It turned out they were just lying to cover their asses and apologised for the "miscommunication". :cool:

With an available date of tomorrow and an oder placed with Airwire does anyone know what I can expect next? Should I hear from Airwire regardless or do I need to contact them?

correction wrote: »
    With an available date of tomorrow and an oder placed with Airwire does anyone know what I can expect next? Should I hear from Airwire regardless or do I need to contact them?

We will be contacting you, once we have an installation date. No need to contact us. More than likely tomorrow. The installation then typically will go ahead 4-5 work days from there.

Your router will arrive by post a day or two before your installation.

Thank you Martin. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be stuck in a limbo of not knowing whats happening.

Time for me to pray for no problems and a successful install. :D

I’m assuming the KN lads would have a long fish reel for when no draw string is in place?

I’m assuming the KN lads would have a long fish reel for when no draw string is in place?

They do .. but it's not the good stuff. They often give up too easy. Best to have the draw-string in place if you want to avoid repeat visits.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    They do .. but it's not the good stuff. They often give up too easy. Best to have the draw-string in place if you want to avoid repeat visits.

/M

I’d prefer to but can’t put a draw string in as other end of duct is underground.

• Advertisement

I’d prefer to but can’t put a draw string in as other end of duct is underground.

Ah sure .. be grand ... up your way things tend to get sorted one or the other way .. ...

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement