Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cencglob

I'd love to buy form the smaller re-seller for those exact reasons, and to be supporting a business where my money gets back into our economy quicker, however from having a look through the resellers, most don't sell the 1Gps package.
    So an other dumb question if someone does not mind;
    From what I can see eir have a 1TB per month download limit (I'm assuming this is a transfer limit with upload quotas included)..

Do they actually charge more for going over, or just hold a right to charge and in reality they don't, or do they throttle?

many thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

cencglob wrote: »
    I'd love to buy form the smaller re-seller for those exact reasons, and to be supporting a business where my money gets back into our economy quicker, however from having a look through the resellers, most don't sell the 1Gps package.
    So an other dumb question if someone does not mind;
    From what I can see eir have a 1TB per month download limit (I'm assuming this is a transfer limit with upload quotas included)..

Do they actually charge more for going over, or just hold a right to charge and in reality they don't, or do they throttle?

many thanks again.

Eir has the following terms for going over 1TB: "eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month" .. Reference here: https://www.eir.ie/support/broadband/broadband-usage-allowance/ ... not easy found, but it's clearly documented. And they do charge you automatically without warning.

As for the other providers not offering the 1 Gbit/s package: I wouldn't go by the website. They will most likely offer it, but you'll have to ring them to get the pricing, if it's not on their website. Pure Telecom, Digiweb and Airwire have the pricing for the 1 Gbit/s package on their website.

/M

Digiweb also have a 1TB limit. Not easy to find either.

Go to the individual package (like https://www.digiweb.ie/product/ultrafast-1000/ ), then click on "Additional Information". But they just reserve the right to disconnect/cancel your sub, if you exceed it more than once. Won't charge you.

I haven't found special terms on Pure Telecoms "Unlimited" policy.

Airwire clearly defines their limits, throttles when you hit them and allows you to buy a top up.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Wrote to Airwire at 08:30 this morning re transferring from Eir.
    Got a reply at 10:30 hrs. Thats customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thomond9112

Hi everyone - long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm living just outside Mallow (just off main Limerick road) and I've noticed the black distribution boxes going up in the last few days near to my house (they're not out as far as me yet, but making good progress!)

I have checked the Eircode checker this week on Eir.ie, and it says FTTH is available to order (I think they might have just done that for all of Mallow though, we are the last rural route to be done).

What I'm wondering is when do I actually go ahead with an order, since the eircode checker isn't much of an indicator in my case? Do I order once I see a Black DP on a pole near my home? Or is there more that needs to happen after that?

TL;DR - At what stage in the rollout process should I place my order? Thanks in advance :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi everyone - long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm living just outside Mallow (just off main Limerick road) and I've noticed the black distribution boxes going up in the last few days near to my house (they're not out as far as me yet, but making good progress!)

I have checked the Eircode checker this week on Eir.ie, and it says FTTH is available to order (I think they might have just done that for all of Mallow though, we are the last rural route to be done).

What I'm wondering is when do I actually go ahead with an order, since the eircode checker isn't much of an indicator in my case? Do I order once I see a Black DP on a pole near my home? Or is there more that needs to happen after that?

TL;DR - At what stage in the rollout process should I place my order? Thanks in advance :-)

They (eir) seem to presell the service before it is actually live. My Eircode was showing available for about a month before the product was live. You could order now but obviously you will not get an install date until the physical infrastructure is in place outside your home. Mallow is showing as a live exchange for 310 premises so once you see the distribution point you should be ready to get an installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

L on pole Bouladuff village (Borrisoleigh exchange) work carried out just now.

Couple of KN and unbranded white vans working together on various parts of Borrisoleigh today, looks like we might still be on track to get it soon.

They (eir) seem to presell the service before it is actually live. My Eircode was showing available for about a month before the product was live.

They seem to presell houses, once they're about to go live, even though they can't place the order with OpenEIR yet and then just batch-order the lines as they go live.

Sometimes they miss that date and then it takes ages to get your connection.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Update Bouladuff. Was also stopped by an unmarked Garda car taking this photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

School behind so you can see how they'd say hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

ED E wrote: »
    School behind so you can see how they'd say hello.

Mistaken identity I think. When I turned around literally without saying a single word he said it was alright in an apologetic tone and just turned around. Would loved to have explained to him what was going on with FTTH lol. I know my fiancée is sick of me stalking poles. There’s poles behind my house KN are working on. Will try to get a few pictures of it.

They (eir) seem to presell the service before it is actually live. My Eircode was showing available for about a month before the product was live. You could order now but obviously you will not get an install date until the physical infrastructure is in place outside your home. Mallow is showing as a live exchange for 310 premises so once you see the distribution point you should be ready to get an installation.

Thanks a million for getting back - I'm thinking the same as you to be honest...

Just one other question. On the day of the install (whenever that might be), how do they get the fiber cable into your home from the ETU?
    When Eir installed the copper phone line a few months back (just after moving into new build), they used a pre-existing cable the builder had put in...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thanks a million for getting back - I'm thinking the same as you to be honest...

Just one other question. On the day of the install (whenever that might be), how do they get the fiber cable into your home from the ETU?
    When Eir installed the copper phone line a few months back (just after moving into new build), they used a pre-existing cable the builder had put in...

They use the existing ducting for your copper cable

fritzelly wrote: »
    They use the existing ducting for your copper cable

Thanks, but what I was more refering to was how they get the fibre cable from ETU at the side of the house to the hall (ie where my power source is for the ONT)? The builder had fed through a copper cable before, but obviously that doesn't help for FTTH...

Also, just came home to see the DP Boxes on the poles near my house! And they say Friday the 13th is unlucky!

Thanks, but what I was more refering to was how they get the fibre cable from ETU at the side of the house to the hall (ie where my power source is for the ONT)? The builder had fed through a copper cable before, but obviously that doesn't help for FTTH...

Also, just came home to see the DP Boxes on the poles near my house! And they say Friday the 13th is unlucky!

Will depend on your setup - fed thru to where ever your existing phone socket is or maybe skip the ETU and go a different route if it makes access easier - all depends.
    But there is a limit to how much work they will do

Thinking of one story where the sockets etc were in the hall but the only way to get it where the tv was, was going around the door frame, along the skirting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

I pinged eir chat on Tuesday and manage to order with an install date of 8th May. Got a call from a guy from KN today. They were in the area doing some prep work, mainly enabling phone lines, it seems. They checked the duct with a cobra while they were at it and pulled the fibre through since it was clear. Should be a lot less hassle now that the ground work is done. I hope.

I pinged eir chat on Tuesday and manage to order with an install date of 8th May. Got a call from a guy from KN today. They were in the area doing some prep work, mainly enabling phone lines, it seems. They checked the duct with a cobra while they were at it and pulled the fibre through since it was clear. Should be a lot less hassle now that the ground work is done. I hope.

Still many things that can go wrong still - your duct blocked, DP not active, your strand with no signal...
    Hope for the best but expect the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

fritzelly wrote: »
    Still many things that can go wrong still - your duct blocked, DP not active, your strand with no signal...
    Hope for the best but expect the worst

Im pretty sure the duct is not blocked as they managed to pull the fibre cable through it into the hallway, but the rest is in the laps of eir, so who knows.

Im pretty sure the duct is not blocked as they managed to pull the fibre cable through it into the hallway, but the rest is in the laps of eir, so who knows.

Ahh right, wasnt sure what you meant with that - good of 'em to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Our real -third time lucky- Eir rep called to our business address and with a big smile on his face said we could get FTTH. He was told about the whole debacle we went through and suggested we get on to Comreg about a technique known as 'Slamming' which apparently Eir already had to pay fines over and we could be compensated since we ended up back in a 24 month contract with vodafone to try clean up their mess.

Anyone know if this is worth doing?

We were coerced into sending emails stating we had been referred by friends to these other reps etc. a lot more to the story but that's the bit that slamming concerns, if that's what it's called.

Currently waiting to get out of our contract at the home address with vodafone to go with Airwire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

Installed Eir FTTH yesterday, near Newtownmtkennedy, Painless process after I had the conduits installed which involved digging up the garden. KN installer was friendly and efficient and had the new kit up and running in under 2 hours. I changed the SSid's etc of the wireless network and all is going fine with speeds very close to advertised I was checking the wireless coverage today using wifi analyzer on my phone and noticed that another
    2.4 network was being broadcast from my F2000 router using the SSID "eir wifi". This does not show up anywhere in the management panels for the router. This is definitely coming from my router, not from a neighbour as the nearest is 100 metres away. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

badaj0z wrote: »
    Installed Eir FTTH yesterday, near Newtownmtkennedy, Painless process after I had the conduits installed which involved digging up the garden. KN installer was friendly and efficient and had the new kit up and running in under 2 hours. I changed the SSid's etc of the wireless network and all is going fine with speeds very close to advertised I was checking the wireless coverage today using wifi analyzer on my phone and noticed that another
    2.4 network was being broadcast from my F2000 router using the SSID "eir wifi". This does not show up anywhere in the management panels for the router. This is definitely coming from my router, not from a neighbour as the nearest is 100 metres away. Any ideas?

Could be the “guest network” but I’ll let the experts advise properly.

What speed you go for?

I’m on 300mb. @all would I see much difference dropping to 150mb to save c.€120/year. By any standard 150mb is a super speed in think. Family of 6/with Teenagers/heavy wi fi use/ 4 screen Netflix often running together. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

The guest network is not enabled. I suspect that it is there to be part of a public network similar to the one set up by BT in the UK. I have gone for the 150MBs package to begin with and will see how it goes. Big contrast to the 8Mbs I had for the last 3 years. I understand that streaming a 4K film uses 28Mbs so 4 screens in use together will not stress the system.

badaj0z wrote: »

https://www.eir.ie/eirwifi/

This explains it. All eir routers broadcast it by default. If you are registered it enables you to connect to any "eir WiFi" network nationwide. You can disable the broadcast in your my.eir.ie account.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Do you mean any Eir customer who had a login could pull up outside in a car and use the Eir network at the house owners expense?

What about the 1TB usage cap???

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do you mean any Eir customer who had a login could pull up outside in a car and use the Eir network at the house owners expense?

What about the 1TB usage cap???

It is limited to 3Mbps down, 1Mbps up and usage does not count against the cap AFAIK.

Their traffic runs parallel to your traffic but its kept totally separate. Doesnt count against your FUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

so in that case... if anyone has ip cameras etc that constantly upload .. stick them on the guest network :D

so in that case... if anyone has ip cameras etc that constantly upload .. stick them on the guest network :D

With VM it would have to be your neighbours guest network, think the same ACLs are there for Eir too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

not sure like this the idea of this eir wifi, no im sure i dont!
    guess it won't be an issue as i'll be using my ubiquiti equiptment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement