Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Oh wow, ok - is that from your experience from your install I take it?

Good to know in any case. We've been on an 8Mb wimax connection from Wicklow BB for 4 years or so. I know we're on the FTTH list but happy to wait as long as I know it's coming!

poles on my exchange were done in march
    they have just finished the underground fiber runs last week

i'm back to stalking poles waiting for the black boxes to appear

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Was at home today and next thing theres three lads in the street and a mini digger on the footpath. Im like wtf. Anyway lads needed to put some of the ducting in from a pole in my lawn just inside the fence and run it to a chamber a meter away. Topping lads left all back perfect with grass seed.
    Fiber is on the way. ðŸ‘

Was at home today and next thing theres three lads in the street and a mini digger on the footpath. Im like wtf. Anyway lads needed to put some of the ducting in from a pole in my lawn just inside the fence and run it to a chamber a meter away. Topping lads left all back perfect with grass seed.
    Fiber is on the way. ðŸ‘

Anybody abal to delete the double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Anybody abal to delete the double post.

You could always do it yourself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Hehe. Click edit post. Then delete.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

brianbruff wrote: »
    poles on my exchange were done in march
    they have just finished the underground fiber runs last week

i'm back to stalking poles waiting for the black boxes to appear

March! Ouch! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

chris_ie wrote: »
    I’d prefer to but can’t put a draw string in as other end of duct is underground.

Is it in a manhole? Spade will lift it. Havn't come across one that's locked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

m99T wrote: »
    Is it in a manhole? Spade will lift it. Havn't come across one that's locked yet.

Nah it's one of those heavy steel type ones in the middle of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Guys whats the deal getting fibre installed if your not a Eir customer. I am with Vodafone and am ringing them every few weeks with no progress where as some of my neighbors with Eir are getting KN to setup the broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Guys whats the deal getting fibre installed if your not a Eir customer. I am with Vodafone and am ringing them every few weeks with no progress where as some of my neighbors with Eir are getting KN to setup the broadband.

https://www.vodafone.ie/home/gigabit-address-checker?icmp=gigaplancta

should tell you if Vodafone is available in your area.

Also, there are at least 7 other providers, that can: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057927096

With Vodafone, they don't seem to be too pushed, if you're already a customer. A lot of people seem to have found it difficult to get them to upgrade you unless you pay more than what you're already paying. At least, when you're in contract.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Also, there are at least 7 other providers, that can: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057927096

With Vodafone, they don't seem to be too pushed, if you're already a customer. A lot of people seem to have found it difficult to get them to upgrade you unless you pay more than what you're already paying. At least, when you're in contract.

/M

Ya that was my gut feeling. Going to have to come up with a plan b. sadly I took out a 18 month contract with em.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Work has been started in Carnew, many white tubes are deployed already...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Work also going on around Charleville. Spoke to the guys outside the house yesterday & they said there's a big push on at the moment. Once they ran the ducting in Abbeyfeale, another team were straight on behind running the fibre.

Just an update from vodafone. As mentioned by Marlow they would not budge about installing fiber to my home unless i upgraded my package and payed a 100 euro install fee.
    The 3 package speed were 150,300,1000 i went for speed 300 with a cost of 25 for first 6 months and 65 after. Only now will they sent out someone to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Just an update from vodafone. As mentioned by Marlow they would not budge about installing fiber to my home unless i upgraded my package and payed a 100 euro install fee.
    The 3 package speed were 150,300,1000 i went for speed 300 with a cost of 25 for first 6 months and 65 after. Only now will they sent out someone to install.

I asked their chat about the install fee and the phone bundle price (for a neighbour - I'm with Digiweb). As you said, it was 100 Euro to install. What surprised me was the poor offering of the phone bundle on top. It wasn't clear if the phone is included in the 6 months as they just cut and pasted in the below (twice) in reply to me asking if the phone was included in the discount price for the first 6 months.

>>>>Paste from the chat

There are two phone options.

The first option would be just unlimited local and national minutes, this will be for €5 a month extra after the first 6 months.

The second option would be unlimited local and national along with Irish mobile minutes and this will be for €15 a month after the first 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

jgbyr wrote: »
    Work also going on around Charleville. Spoke to the guys outside the house yesterday & they said there's a big push on at the moment. Once they ran the ducting in Abbeyfeale, another team were straight on behind running the fibre.

Yeah there's a push on right into next year - I contacted openeir earlier in the year and they promised no later than september - now they say it'll be early next year - I don't believe a word from them for many years and it has stood me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Got my date from Airwire today. Next Tuesday the 27th, much quicker than I expected.

Hopefully it can be done on day one. I have no idea how it all works really, the DP closest to us is 3 poles down the road. I'm hoping they'll string it across to the pole opposite our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Three poles away - really? Hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

fritzelly wrote: »
    Three poles away - really? Hmmm

Are you trying to say that could be a bit of stretch there?
    ;)

I just had a look at their installation process video. When they say you need neighbors permission to bring it across a pole on private property, what level of permission do they need? We would have no problem getting permission but in what form.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

correction wrote: »
    I just had a look at their installation process video. When they say you need neighbors permission to bring it across a pole on private property, what level of permission do they need? We would have no problem getting permission but in what form.

A written note should suffice or them to be home on the day.
    It's more just if someone pulls up and goes what the f*** are you doing in my garden. The installer can say I'm installing a line for them next door they said they had permission.

As for trying to use someone's house as an anchor point that can get by if it was a copper line but it's not likely to fly for fibre. It can cause greif if neighbour is a family member then sells house and someone else moves in and goes what's this doing on my house and chops it off. Because it leaves open eir in a situation where they have to repair the line and restore service but there's no poles or the only accessable route is no longer a route which leads to one of those in-limbo fault situations that noone knows who's to take responsibility.
    Copper is not so strict as you can always cut and crimp or get an electrician to bury a section of cable and reconnect.
    But I digress.
    Written permission or verbal on the day for passing it over property most times the installer doesn't need their permission only if it's going to be right across their bedroom window as an obvious intrusion on their space.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

much quicker than I expected.

Would have been earlier, but there were some complications with a few clusters, that needed an extra day to get rectified before we could place orders.

Just had someone at the door from Vodafone looking to sign us up to fibre. Had to tell him he was too late.

That's the first I've seen or heard of fibre here beyond me following this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Just had someone at the door from Vodafone looking to sign us up to fibre. Had to tell him he was too late.

That's the first I've seen or heard of fibre here beyond me following this thread.

Yeah, there is very little awareness. There has been a few posts on here regarding people who've had access to fiber for a year or more and didnt realise.

I was talking to a neighbour a few days back and got on to the topic of internet and he said he was looking at getting broadband but speeds were terrible. Explained the whole situation to him as he was unaware of the fiber and its hanging off the pole in his garden.

Then they wonder why there is such little uptake. I'm a bit surprised that some companies dont take the list of eircodes in a newly enabled area and send flyers out. Junk mail is a pain and maybe theres a reason for not doing it but it would be one way, instead of the sales people to the door.

Imagine is getting pretty popular around where I am so the killing thing is I bet people will have gotten into 24 month contracts with Imagine unaware that fibre would ever be available.

I'm with Imagine currently and the contract expires in December so this was timed very nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I wonder if the naming of VDSL as fibre has anything to do with it. People will hear the word fibre again and think they already have it.

tuxy wrote: »
    I wonder if the naming of VDSL as fibre has anything to do with it. People will hear the word fibre again and think they already have it.

That's why Vodafone is now marketing it as Gigabit broadband .. even when you buy 150 or 300 Mbit/s.

Because they've exhausted and tainted the fibre name.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Marlow wrote: »
    That's why Vodafone is now marketing it as Gigabit broadband .. even when you buy 150 or 300 Mbit/s.

Because they've exhausted and tainted the fibre name.

And now they're tainting "gigabit". Wonderful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement