Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fritzelly wrote: »
    But talk to many rural homes and LL is the only means of communication as mobiles don't work or you get half a conversation

Mobile coverage for voice is actually exceptional in Ireland. Try Scotland ! :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Absolutely dreadful day here today, not much hope of being set up I'd imagine. They are giving it to brighten up from 12 onwards though so I won't give up all hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Q3 2018 figures are in from the DCCAE. According to the contract the target for Q3 was 44000 to bring the total to 258000. In reality they passed 34032 to bring the total to 209216.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

The NBP map has been updated with the passed premises.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

I have some positive news anyway. I called 1800 303 733 and got through after a minute or so. I explained my situation to the agent, and mentioned merging the ARD key and eircode. She confirmed that it was an issue with the eircode, that she'd send off for them to be merged, and that she'd call me back as soon as she knew more. She definitely knew a lot more and was more clued in than anyone else I spoke to in the last two weeks so hopefully I'll be able to order soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

sounds like you got a diamond in the rough, generally, most companies have these people, able to make things happen as it should be, not afraid to go-to a different department to get something done

usually end up moving on though for bigger and better things :p

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Signed up with Airwire last week after FTTH finally became available here and not really getting anywhere with other companies, so Airwire felt a fine deal to go for.

Today though, Eir sales guy started going round to get people to sign up for fibre. Called to the house but told him we had already signed up last week elsewhere. He belittled my choice, offering me what was a worse bundle that what I said we needed, and saying that 300Mbps was the best they could do. I mentioned that we went for the full gigabit in our choice, before he said "What's a gigabit?" before shuffling his papers for a few seconds and finding the 1000Mbps package. He got really tetchy when I wasn't budging on the kinda bundle we needed, so one last put down of acting like we're crazy, and trying to paint a doomsday scenario of if we leave Eir, it'll leave us with little chance of getting problems sorted because "it's Eir's line" around the area.

Pretty much matches my experience and troubles with Eir CS for 4-5 years of a variety of problems, but I was still quite taken aback by the attacks dealt out just for knowing the details of his packages and having already sorted ordering it in.

Racket wrote: »
    Signed up with Airwire last week after FTTH finally became available here and not really getting anywhere with other companies, so Airwire felt a fine deal to go for.

Today though, Eir sales guy started going round to get people to sign up for fibre. Called to the house but told him we had already signed up last week elsewhere. He belittled my choice, offering me what was a worse bundle that what I said we needed, and saying that 300Mbps was the best they could do. I mentioned that we went for the full gigabit in our choice, before he said "What's a gigabit?" before shuffling his papers for a few seconds and finding the 1000Mbps package. He got really tetchy when I wasn't budging on the kinda bundle we needed, so one last put down of acting like we're crazy, and trying to paint a doomsday scenario of if we leave Eir, it'll leave us with little chance of getting problems sorted because "it's Eir's line" around the area.

Pretty much matches my experience and troubles with Eir CS for 4-5 years of a variety of problems, but I was still quite taken aback by the attacks dealt out just for knowing the details of his packages and having already sorted ordering it in.

These arseholes should be reported but unfortunately there seems to be no oversight of their shoddy practices. Imagine the crap they are peddling to the uninformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sales guys are self employed so will try anything for a sale

Racket wrote: »
    it'll leave us with little chance of getting problems sorted because "it's Eir's line" around the area.

He is actually wrong there. Eir is the retail arm of Eircom PLC. OpenEIR is the company running the network, the wholesale arm of Eircom PLC, that owns the lines. Eir retail does not.

So the infrastructure and lines belong to OpenEIR. Any provider using OpenEIR as the last mile has the same access to ordering, operating and fixing OpenEIR lines. That includes Eir retail.

And at the end of the day, there is also a lot difference in the service. Because from the exchange and onwards our customers are on our network, which has nearly nothing to do with OpenEIRs infrastructure. We primarily use ESB Telecoms, CIE (via BT) and eNet for our network across the country. Also the internet connectivity when traffic leaves our network is complete different. That part is all infrastructure owned or leased and operated by ourselves.

Right now, there are massive issues with the lines that went ready for order on 21.11., as many of these have been indexed wrongly and it takes a few days to sort this out with OpenEIR.

Business must be difficult, if a sales guy has resort to that sort of tactics to get business.

• Advertisement

That may be. But it taints the name of the company they represent.

As a business owner or being responsible for the public eye of a brand, I would have none of it and sack people like that.

/M

Why are they driving eir branded vans and cars?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

He is actually wrong there.

He's not wrong; he's lying. And it's not even unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I am so immensely happy and it's now really sinking in how lucky we are to be apart of this roll out. A big thanks to Airwire and everyone in this thread who are so quick to help others out even when the questions are on the dimmer side. :D

7834086514.png

correction wrote: »
    I am so immensely happy and it's now really sinking in how lucky we are to be apart of this roll out. A big thanks to Airwire and everyone in this thread who are so quick to help others out even when the questions are on the dimmer side. :D

You need a faster PC now. Also, Firefox works best with Ooklas speedtest. Chrome and Internet Explorer can give odd results.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

He is actually wrong there. Eir is the retail arm of Eircom PLC. OpenEIR is the company running the network, the wholesale arm of Eircom PLC, that owns the lines. Eir retail does not.

So the infrastructure and lines belong to OpenEIR. Any provider using OpenEIR as the last mile has the same access to ordering, operating and fixing OpenEIR lines. That includes Eir retail.

I brought up OpenEir to him after he mentioned Eir running the lines, in return getting a rather unamused spouting of "What do you mean OpenEir own/run the lines?!" before he was still ending the conversation acting like we were doomed with any technical issues.

I really wish I had remembered to bring up our month without a landline at the start of this year, with the wire to the pole hanging broken at the side of the house, and taking an entire month of phone calls just to get someone to even look at the broken wire, laying in half, to confirm that it was indeed broken.

Irony in the end that he talked himself out of any possible sales conversation as I told him I was willing to listen to any offers, but he didn't seem to want to take the time after I corrected him bluffs and would rather talk about stuff that had nothing to do with any install, contract, bundle or even reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

And at the end of the day, there is also a lot difference in the service. Because from the exchange and onwards our customers are on our network, which has nearly nothing to do with OpenEIRs infrastructure. We primarily use ESB Telecoms, CIE (via BT) and eNet for our network across the country. Also the internet connectivity when traffic leaves our network is complete different. That part is all infrastructure owned or leased and operated by ourselves.

Right now, there are massive issues with the lines that went ready for order on 21.11., as many of these have been indexed wrongly and it takes a few days to sort this out with OpenEIR.

Business must be difficult, if a sales guy has resort to that sort of tactics to get business.

Any insight as to latency to main internet exchanges on this setup vs openEir?
    No easy answer to this question I expect?

P.s. airwire line checker has gone to "available soon" for me.. more progress :-)

brianbruff wrote: »
    Any insight as to latency to main internet exchanges on this setup vs openEir?
    No easy answer to this question I expect?

Not actual figures, but I can give some examples. We buy 10 Gbit/s circuits from OpenEIR (these can be got in 1, 10 and 100 Gbit/s. 100 Gbit/s is only available in 2 places in Dublin). We place these strategically around the country, preferable as near to the exchanges where we have the majority of our customers.

If we were to rely on OpenEIR to bring the traffic of our customers all the way to lets say Dublin and take the connection there, we don't know what sort of bandwidth OpenEIR have (total) between us and the customer. The nearer to the exchange we pick up the traffic, the more control we have and can calculate the bandwidth that we actually need. Also, if we only had our interconnects in one place, every problem in that location would cause us issues.

In our network, we know the exact capacity that we have, as that either is dark fiber or uncontended wavelengths.

So if OpenEIR have a problem in lets say Dublin, we can shift customer circuits that we normally terminate there to Athlone or Portlaoise, terminate them there and mediate the problem. This is something that can be done in minutes.

So any problem they have don't necessarily affect us.

It's similar with our SIRO products. SIRO don't have a national network. They only provide the last mile. So we expanded our fiber ring between Dublin and Galway to bring us into the locations, that we cover. And we can bring the traffic either way depending on network issue or capacity.

We have currently 5 geographical locations, where we interconnect with OpenEIR and 6 with SIRO across Ireland.

This setup helps us providing as low latency and good quality as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

There's a main fiber run that goes through our village (FTTC, but not down for FTTH) to connect another smaller village which is on the Rural roll out scheme. In last couple of months, they also added some DPs.

I was doing my weekly check online and saw some good news for a neighbour (less than 50m from the DP) but not ourselves as we are 500m from it, down a boreen from it.

I checked a couple houses also very close to DPs on the route, one is good for it and the other no but it is less than 30m from it so guess that should change soon.

So my $64,000 question is, can I hang onto any shred of hope to get FTTH from Eir or do I need to wait for NBP?

Clare is a funny spot. So it would important to know, what village.

The reason, I'm saying that is because if you take Ennis .. there are nearly 1700 premises in Ennis town, that can get OpenEIR FTTH and SIRO !! Both at the same time. Ennis was one of the electronic age (or whatever the project was called) towns, with the local MAN awarded to BT. This is pre the MANs that eNet manage.

SIRO also has announced, that on top of that they already cover Ennis and Shannon, they will also cover Clarecastle and Sixmilebridge sooner than later.

/M

• Advertisement

Kilfenora, we are just off the main from between the village and Lemenagh cross, the fiber run is going to Carron. Kilfenora does not appear on here for FTTH.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

I saw recently that there were an additonal 30k premises added to the inital 300k, I presume low lying fruit like the houses on our main road are in this add on. I'm hoping we are but I think I'm kidding myself.

Marlow wrote: »
    Clare is a funny spot. So it would important to know, what village.

The reason, I'm saying that is because if you take Ennis .. there are nearly 1700 premises in Ennis town, that can get OpenEIR FTTH and SIRO !!

SIRO also has announced, that on top that they already cover Ennis and Shannon, they will also cover Clarecastle and Sixmilebridge sooner than later.

/M

At 500m you are living on a hope and a prayer unless there are others, but if you are in the NBP they shouldn't even be touching you

funnyname wrote: »
    Kilfenora, we are just off the main from between the village and Lemenagh cross, the fiber run is going to Carron. Kilfenora does not appear on here for FTTH.

46030410062_98ede9dbf5_b.jpg

Nothing in the current and up to date rollout. I checked upcoming premises, too. Nothing there yet.

The yellow group in Kilfenora are all VDSL. Anything out towards Lemenagh (green markers) is FTTH.

/M

Cheers Marlow, which site did you get that screenshot from?

Cheers Marlow, which site did you get that screenshot from?

Hehehe .. it's an internal tool, I have access to. Based on the APQ data, that OpenEIR publishes every week with a bit "extra" refined data. Sorry, no public access.

/M

Nice

So do you reckon more houses will come online along that route?

Marlow wrote: »
    Hehehe .. it's an internal tool, I have access to. Based on the APQ data, that OpenEIR publishes every week with a bit "extra" refined data. Sorry, no public access.

/M

Nice

So do you reckon more houses will come online along that route?

Not within the next 1-2 months. But there may very well be a chance. The 30k extra premises are existing rollouts that have been extended outwards and inwards (into VDSL territory). Ballyshannon was good example of that.

Your best bet is to check back on the Airwire checker in the first 2 weeks of December. That's when OpenEIR seem to push the bigger chunks of their rollout. And then again start of January.

Check premises along that route, that haven't been covered so far and see if more come online. Even if they're flagged available soon. That a 3-6 month indicator (not always, but often).

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

sorry to answer late but quite a frw posts back there was a discussion as to why there were 2 strands in the fibre cable , the general conclusion that one is only ever used and that once the old 2 fibre rolls are depleted the newer fibre cable with just 1 strand will be used , well I dont know where I read about it (it might not have even been about the Irish system, it might have been somewhere else) but what i read was that with 2 strands it was possible that if one strand got damaged or broke somewhere in the cable then the other strand could be used and just swapped over at the ETU and the DP (or DP to the OLT) and carry on working rather than taking out the whole cable and replacing it (which makes sense I suppose) but no chance of doing that once the cables with 1 fiber strand start coming into circulation

No, just no Andy

• Advertisement

That has never been done in OpenEIRs network. If the cable from the DP to the premise is damaged, it gets replaced. End-to-end.

The engineers have been instructed the never use the orange strand.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement