Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

chris_ie wrote: »

You don't sound like you are happy to pay the install, so don't.

No, your right really I am not happy to pay the extortionate high fee for installation .. but do personally want faster broadband than I am getting at the moment. So what is your suggestion for that? - the problem is this .. as long as some people are prepared to pay 129eur /199eur /99eur with no questioning or quuibble or questioning how that particular figure has come about then companies will think 'people are prepared to pay that price' so then there is no room for competition and they wont lower the price for people who find that amount of money a big layout especially if others are prepared to pay that kind of money with no qualms .. hey if the companies think people will pay that kind of money that they might even be prepared to pay more! ... who knows in January 2019 it could go up to 250eur for installation - where do you drawer the line?

as far as I can see I cannot even find a company who are willing to spread the cost of the (say its 199eur installation fee) over the subscription term/contract and add it to the package price so say if its a 12 month contract @199eur installation that would be 23.88eur added to their subscription charge per mont - but at least it would enable the consumer to spread out / not cough up the 199.00eur in one lump sum at the beginning - why are ISP's not doing this/offering this .. why are they expecting people to take up FTTH and everyone to pull out over a hundred quid just like that (as I say, if you are well off or can stump up that immediately out of anywhere - fair enough fair play)

But there are also some people out there that yes would like to avail of up to date fibre broadband and the speed it has to offer. Some might want it for entertainment reasons, some might it because they are fed up with 3mbps download and constant disconnections and lags - what are you to deprive those who cannot stump up the full installation charge like that in one go then , just because some are not on the breadline and can stump up 199eur just like that?

OK, I can take everything posted by you as uninformed opinion.
    Fine.
    I have no problem once that has been clarified. ;)

of course - thats the way life works and always had . you get fed information and you think about it and you come to your own decision ... if not you start believing things like fake news is real etc... :)

Its not going to change my life in any way whatsover if you take everything I spout on boards as gospel or as a uninformed opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

No, your right really I am not happy to pay the extortionate high fee for installation .. but do personally want faster broadband than I am getting at the moment.

I personally want a new car but I'm not happy to pay for it. Doesn't mean they should lower the price. I just can't afford it.
    the problem is this .. as long as some people are prepared to pay 129eur /199eur /99eur with no questioning or quuibble or questioning how that particular figure has come about then companies will think 'people are prepared to pay that price'

If the price really was too high, many people wouldn't pay it. The fact they do tells you something. Again, no one is forcing anyone.
    as far as I can see I cannot even find a company who are willing to spread the cost of the (say its 199eur installation fee) over the subscription term/contract and add it to the package price so say if its a 12 month contract @199eur installation that would be 23.88eur added to their subscription charge per mont - but at least it would enable the consumer to spread out / not cough up the 199.00eur in one lump sum at the beginning - why are ISP's not doing this/offering this .. why are they expecting people to take up FTTH and everyone to pull out over a hundred quid just like that (as I say, if you are well off or can stump up that immediately out of anywhere - fair enough fair play)

The monthly fee would seem too high then and people would complain. Even if they didn't and someone asks them how much they pay monthly, to others it would seem too high and maybe put them off that company, not realising its subsidizing the install fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Prices are usually high for early adopters in all areas of technology.
    I was happy to pay the €100 install and would have paid a few hundred more if I needed to install a duct.
    You're right as of now 10 Mbit or so it fine for some people but unbearable for others.
    Andy just wait a few years, the price will eventually come down to a point that you will be happy with.

If the price really was too high, many people wouldn't pay it. The fact they do tells you something. Again, no one is forcing anyone.

come back with a more sensible comparison :)
    The monthly fee would seem too high then and people would complain. Even if they didn't and someone asks them how much they pay monthly, to others it would seem too high and maybe put them off that company, not realising its subsidizing the install fee.

its no concern of anyone else - as long as you realise that if you dont stump up the installation charge in one go at first that you know it will be spread out over the contract then everything is fine. You still end up paying the installation charge, the ISP get the fee for the installation charge (in the end) and you realise that you cannot get away without paying the installation charge but you are paying it on a plan over the length of the contract and have not had to stump up the full price in one go at the time of installation.

.. and the USP to other people is you say to them 'if you dont want to stump up the 129.00eur in one go this 'xxx ISP' - will let you pay it over a certain amount of time along with your subscription .. and then whoever your chatting to go 'oh , right thats good to know - i will contact them so and go with them then" ..

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Prices are usually high for early adopters in all areas of technology.
    I was happy to pay the €100 install and would have paid a few hundred more if I needed to install a duct.
    You're right as of now 10 Mbit or so it fine for some people but unbearable for others.
    Andy just wait a few years, the price will eventually come down to a point that you will be happy with.

that might be indeed what I will do , wait now until it comes down in price (mind you it could go up in price as well, its a gamble)

a couple of months ago I would have been ready to bite the hand off the eir rep when he said FTTH was available in the area (it wasnt by the way) and I would have even forgot the bad reviews eir get from their customers (especially on boards) - but now, too long waiting .. the spark has gone now with me, fed up waiting , cannot get overly excited than I once was and its too near christmas now been putting up with 12mbps FWA for nearly 2 years now but get by most of the time. would like video's to play sometimes without stoppin/buffering and have a better upload speed than 2mbps but as I sayits not life or death situation .

If thougjh it does become available in the 1st week of december to me where I live (thats a big if , I have been listening for ages that it will be ready to order. I will believe it when I see it with my own eyes in operation) - then if some ISP can offer free installation (looks like only westnet at the moment) or my existing FWA installs it for free so they can keep me as a customer (looks highly unlikely ) - then I suppose I shall just have to stay with what I have .

Whats that saying about you dont miss what you never had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

come back with a more sensible comparison :)

It wasn’t a comparison. If you were running a business and set a price on something that a lot of people were paying. Would you reduce the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The installation fee covers a new modem (the ISP doesnt get those for nothing) and the install cost of the KN guy running and splicing the cable. I'm sure those guys arent cheap to OpenEir.

How/why do you expect all that to be free? It has to be paid for one way or the other.

Your suggestion of adding it over a 18 month period is reasonable but why dont you just start saving yourself now and have it ready for when its available to you. You've clearly had time to do so as you knew it was coming to your area many months ago. I dont really see your issue.

It wasn’t a comparison. If you were running a business and set a price on something that a lot of people were paying. Would you reduce the price?

I do run a business - have done for years . Most people are happy to pay for my services and the price(s) I charge . But if they arent and its too expensive (think with their feet / wallet) then they have to facility to go to somewhere else cheaper which some do . I cannot blame them I am the same. If I think something is too expensive for what it is or cannot afford it I try somewhere else (and sometimes the amount of good quality / level of service might slip) but what choice have you got with FTTH installation if nearly every ISP is charging the same installations of between 129eur - 199eur - yes I suppose maybe the compertition is the level of car and how fast the installation got sorted . Like I think I read on here someone on the same street ordered from airwire and their neighbour ordered from somewhere else and airwire installed first when the other neibour was still waiting for theirs .

re Installation prices and no competition whatsover on it this is what I have find - please correct me if I am wrong :

Eir FTTH = 99.00 Eur plus 29.99 connection fee

Vodafone FTTH = 129.00 eur installation (dont know whether that includes connection fee?)

Airwire: 6 month contract = 199eur - 12month contract = 199.00 - 18month contract = 129eur (and add €5 PM for 6 months)

not sure of all the others but I would hazard a guess of betwwen 129-199eur installation fee (prices for new installation - IE no existing fibre running into the house)

only one I have found free installation and connection (if I have it right) is Westnet in Mayo .. but they dont do nationwide I dont think .

No competition the only plus you might get is a better level of service from one comapany than another one (re installation and term of contract you are with them for and how good/quickly they fix something if you FTTH fails in contract)

Now you imagine if someone like eir or vodafone came along and went "Special black friday deal on Fibre to the home (or whatever they call it) - Normal price 129.00 - get it installed now for only €50 (limited offer) and 49euro PM for 150mbps download- (phone so and so) and flashed this up on TV or newspaper ad .. you think how that might be enticing to someone even if they wasnt even thinking of getting it installed? - but no, its nearly all of them charging over a hundred euro to get installed (bar westnet - had to put that in or Paul would be on here going 'ahem!' :D ) -

But no, same ol installation fee and just competative on the packages or bunging in free tv or calls or whatever - no imagination. the competative of differnt priced packages are no good to anyone if you ahvent caught the customers in the first place with an attrcative installation fee so they take it up in the first place and its going to put them off, (the installation fee in the first place) - yes I know there will always be people prepared to pay 129eur or double and triple to get it installed (or they say) and i know that FTTH is relitively new to the Irish market and its early days - but if people are waiting for the price to come down and in the meantime have signed up for another way of getting their broadband , then that is another rake of FTTH customers that the ISP's that are offering FTTH to have gone off to some other way of getting broadband .

They (whoever is asking it) are saying or dissapointed about slow uptake of people ordering FTTH now its available, to the clean/unwashed or whoever .. do something about it - offer ridiculous installation charges to get them onboard ... treat them well so you have a subscriber for a very long time - even when the contract has run out then there might be a better uptake of FTTH by this time next year

Thats what I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Andy: any of the providers is charged 272.50 EUR plus VAT, when they supply a FTTH connection. That's OpenEIRs regulated price and can not be negotiated.

It consists of a 270 EUR installation charge (engineer visit) and a 2.50 EUR activation charge.

So, 309.29 EUR incl. VAT at 13.5% VAT is what the provider pays OpenEIR. Then add the cost for the router, which is another 50-80 EUR wholesale.

So any provider that charges you less than that is making a loss, when you sign up. And that money has to be got back somewhere. The provider is minimum 400 EUR out of pocket the day you get installed. You get a bargain with any of the providers you mentioned.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

I do run a business - have done for years . Most people are happy to pay for my services and the price(s) I charge . But if they arent and its too expensive (think with their feet / wallet) then they have to facility to go to somewhere else cheaper which some do . I cannot blame them I am the same. If I think something is too expensive for what it is or cannot afford it I try somewhere else (and sometimes the amount of good quality / level of service might slip) but what choice have you got with FTTH installation if nearly every ISP is charging the same installations of between 129eur - 199eur - yes I suppose maybe the compertition is the level of car and how fast the installation got sorted . Like I think I read on here someone on the same street ordered from airwire and their neighbour ordered from somewhere else and airwire installed first when the other neibour was still waiting for theirs .

re Installation prices and no competition whatsover on it this is what I have find - please correct me if I am wrong :

Eir FTTH = 99.00 Eur plus 29.99 connection fee

Vodafone FTTH = 129.00 eur installation (dont know whether that includes connection fee?)

Airwire: 6 month contract = 199eur - 12month contract = 199.00 - 18month contract = 129eur (and add €5 PM for 6 months)

not sure of all the others but I would hazard a guess of betwwen 129-199eur installation fee (prices for new installation - IE no existing fibre running into the house)

only one I have found free installation and connection (if I have it right) is Westnet in Mayo .. but they dont do nationwide I dont think .

No competition the only plus you might get is a better level of service from one comapany than another one (re installation and term of contract you are with them for and how good/quickly they fix something if you FTTH fails in contract)

Now you imagine if someone like eir or vodafone came along and went "Special black friday deal on Fibre to the home (or whatever they call it) - Normal price 129.00 - get it installed now for only €50 (limited offer) and 49euro PM for 150mbps download- (phone so and so) and flashed this up on TV or newspaper ad .. you think how that might be enticing to someone even if they wasnt even thinking of getting it installed? - but no, its nearly all of them charging over a hundred euro to get installed (bar westnet - had to put that in or Paul would be on here going 'ahem!' :D ) -

But no, same ol installation fee and just competative on the packages or bunging in free tv or calls or whatever - no imagination. the competative of differnt priced packages are no good to anyone if you ahvent caught the customers in the first place with an attrcative installation fee so they take it up in the first place and its going to put them off, (the installation fee in the first place) - yes I know there will always be people prepared to pay 129eur or double and triple to get it installed (or they say) and i know that FTTH is relitively new to the Irish market and its early days - but if people are waiting for the price to come down and in the meantime have signed up for another way of getting their broadband , then that is another rake of FTTH customers that the ISP's that are offering FTTH to have gone off to some other way of getting broadband .

They (whoever is asking it) are saying or dissapointed about slow uptake of people ordering FTTH now its available, to the clean/unwashed or whoever .. do something about it - offer ridiculous installation charges to get them onboard ... treat them well so you have a subscriber for a very long time - even when the contract has run out then there might be a better uptake of FTTH by this time next year

I would have paid x10 to move from 1mb to 300mb. For those who need internet it’s a life changing development.

Sure there are those that don’t realize the need for reliable fast internet speeds in the 21st century. Soon they will realize and appreciate the relative low cost of obtaining FTTH. Those (including myself) who have been very lucky to obtain this service are very very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Yo do remember that up to 6 months ago Eir were installing for free right? Uptake was still very low To I don’t think the installation cost is that big a barrier to take up compared to people
    A) not knowing what it is and that it’s available to them
    B) being confused with the use of the word “fibre” being used to describe non-fibre products and the term being ‘tainted’ by this.

Yo do remember that up to 6 months ago Eir were installing for free right? Uptake was still very low To I don’t think the installation cost is that big a barrier to take up compared to people
    A) not knowing what it is and that it’s available to them
    B) being confused with the use of the word “fibre” being used to describe non-fibre products and the term being ‘tainted’ by this.

Yes. And they had to stop doing the free installs, because it cost them 400 EUR for each installation and they were also giving people up to 200 EUR against breaking contract with their current provider.

That's loss of 600 EUR for every customer gained. If people then cancel within the cooling off period or move again after 12 months, then it's near impossible to make that money back.

The only reason, they made that money back was the up to 100 EUR extra charge per month, if you went over the 1TB allowance. When they removed that, the free installation disappeared. (1+1 anyone ?)

Westnet are making a whopping loss on their FTTH lines the first year. And they know that. But their motto is to deliver excellent broadband and excellent customer service with no hidden charges or limits, which should result in keeping their customers for well over the years contract.

However, that model is not sustainable for a regional Internet Provider on a national level. It would require a large amount of cash in the bank.

Each provider calculates out, what they can afford to loose. All of them loose or barely break even in the initial contract period at current pricing. The profits usually come from add-on products or other network revenue.

/M

Yo do remember that up to 6 months ago Eir were installing for free right? .....

no, admittedly I did not know that .. cool!

shame I missed out.

My heart really bleeds for them - it really does ... er OK , not really :) . My job as a consumer /end user is not to worry about how much a supplier is loosing and how much this is all costing to bring it to the masses - sorry! . (well certainly not the big players like eir etc who make huge profits on what they do ..)

I am a sympathetic to small local firms if they are loosing out hand and fist so much because they are trying to keep prices low and making a loss but have to pay OE or whoever it is they have to pay and then go bust .

... that leads me onto another thing now , it makes me think about this. What if you signed up with a small local outfit or not one of the big players and you sign up for 18 months or whatever and they go bust (which no-one is safe these day .. even big firms) even eir could go bust one day if they keep carrying on as they have been and some of the horror stories some of the people on boards and other groups have said how dire their service is and customer service is. - well yeah, anyway say if you sign up to a smaller ISP company and they go bust what happens? - are you without Internet or do they pass you onto another provider before they go under or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I would assume you just sign up with a new provider of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

are you without Internet or do they pass you onto another provider before they go under or what?

How is anyone supposed to know how a company will conduct their business if they are about to go broke?

All their internet connections drop. Because they obviously don't pay their bill to OpenEIR at that point. Unless somebody bails them out and buys their customer base and contracts.

You think, there's a big catch all. There can't be. Your contract is with the provider that you sign up to. End of story.

Every single provider is different. Even if your line stayed online, that wouldn't help you. Because What OpenEIR delivers is LAST MILE. Not Internet. There's a whole lot more to it.

And as for your notion not giving a d*** about what it costs to the provider. You are complaining about pricing and displaying a clear lack of reality. People here advise you on the reality, that is what it costs to bring you this premium service.

If you can't afford it, don't sign up to it.

/M

tuxy wrote: »
    I would assume you just sign up with a new provider of your choice.

yeah but if you are like getting the service from a particular place (I dont know how this all technically works) but if they owe (whoever it is a bill or something for the data or service or whatever it is) and they dont pay the bill and go under and their supplier cust the service to them - then the customers service must cut out or LOS or something yeah? - either way, theres got to be some disruption yes to the end user??

yeah but if you are like getting the service from a particular place (I dont know how this all technically works) but if they owe (whoever it is a bill or something for the data or service or whatever it is) and they dont pay the bill and go under and their supplier cust the service to them - then the customers service must cut out or LOS or something yeah? - either way, theres got to be some disruption yes to the end user??

Honestly ? You're asking questions and looking for guarantees here that nobody can answer in reality. Not even theoretically. If you want to know, start an ISP, get a wholesale contract from OpenEIR, then go bust and see what happens :)

/M

• Advertisement

Not discussing brain surgery here - what do you think will happen!

Marlow wrote: »
    ... If you can't afford it, don't sign up to it.

/M

if we all did that / if I did that .. we wouldnt have nothing

The amount of times I have bought a new mobile phone when I couldnt afford it. the amount of time I have signed up for something I couldnt afford ...

and some people buy new cars and cannot afford it. - some people take out mortgages on a property, some people sign up for the full sky packages with films and sport for what is it 80 quid a month or whatever it is .. and cannot afford it!

- it will never stop them from doing it

- it will never stop them from doing it

But that's a personal choice. An economically bad one, but still a personal choice. And the responsibility of the consumer who signs the contract/buys the product.

A choice that comes with consequences.

/M

Honestly ? You're asking questions and looking for guarantees here that nobody can answer in reality. Not even theoretically. If you want to know, start an ISP, get a wholesale contract from OpenEIR, then go bust and see what happens :)

/M

no ideas whatsover ?

Nothing put in place for if such a thing happened? - they dont even discuss this in house? what would happen in this eventuality???

Think I've wondered into the wrong thread - someone joining the ignore list

Nothing put in place for if such a thing happened? - they dont even discuss this in house? what would happen in this eventuality???

Nobody starts a business to go bust. Why would they discuss this ? Where is your common sense ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Anyone see Net1 doing the free FTTH installs? Must be a drive to get people on board with them.

m99T wrote: »
    Anyone see Net1 doing the free FTTH installs? Must be a drive to get people on board with them.

They have done this from day one. Again .. very limited area, the same as Westnet. And they don't offer the Gbit/s package.

Not feasable on a national level. But for those who can get it, a very good value product. 24 month contract though, if I recall correctly.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

They have done this from day one. Again .. very limited area, the same as Westnet. And they don't offer the Gbit/s package.

Not feasable on a national level. But for those who can get it, a very good value product. 24 month contract though, if I recall correctly.

/M

Shot a message off to John and Andrew when I saw to see if they are doing it as far as myself but as you said it's in that limited area, wasn't actually aware. Have a list of options for my own house, knowing full well I won't be getting it any time soon.

24 month contract is a big put off.

• Advertisement

They have to recoup their costs somehow but they are also relying on the local business for local people and know most people prefer that so a 2 year contract is probably not that off putting for the consumer, knowing if there is a problem its not some faceless entity at the end of the line.
    And remember contracts are only ever as good as what they say they will provide so if they are not living up to their end of the deal the contract is useless

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement