Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

They have a lot of customer loyality. They also provide a service on Jet technology (same as BBNet and Airwire) and they probably have one of the biggest Jet coverages in Ireland with 50 Mbit/s and more speeds.

A lot of their coverage area didn't even get ADSL1.

Plus they're probably one of the oldest regional ISPs around. In business since 2003. Operating both north and south of the border, which also is quite unique.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

m99T wrote: »
    Anyone see Net1 doing the free FTTH installs? Must be a drive to get people on board with them.

no, i didnt but thanks for the heads up

no, i didnt but thanks for the heads up

If you read back in this thread .. I've mentioned it to you before ... you didn't like it because of contract length and the 55 EUR price tag. Memory is lacking and we're back in circles.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    If you read back in this thread .. I've mentioned it to you before ... you didn't like it because of contract length and the 55 EUR price tag. Memory is lacking and we're back in circles.

/M

yes, I do beg your pardon that my memory is not as good as it once used to be (could happen to you one day too) . No I dont remember

anyway how long ago was that , my views most probably have changed .

24 months not too much of a worry if they are a good reliable company and if the broadband is reliable and stable and fixed price with no price hikes in the 24months , and i think I am paying 50eur a month already with my present FWA.

whats the problem now? - am I not allowed to change my mind on something?

by the way 1st net do say on their webpage "speeds up to 1gbps" .... so they must do a 1 gig package

am I not allowed to change my mind on something?

Of course you are. And if they connect you and you go for their Ultimate package you even get a most excellent TV package.

/M

• Advertisement

any idea what their 'area' is - because they want you to phone a number with your eircode on their website - I couldnt see what areas they do

any idea what their 'area' is - because they want you to phone a number with your eircode on their website - I couldnt see what areas they do

Louth, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Northern Ireland for fixed wireless and Jet. Probably some more areas, I'm forgetting. They have a coverage map on their website. For fibre, you'll have to fill out the form and get a yay or nay. They are working on a better check.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Andy,

I've been in this game a long, long, time. The only providers I've known of over the years that I can recall going bust were a bunch of the satellite guys. MediaSat (Eircom subbies), Niall Quinn's crowd, Avonline... Sat crowds seem to fail, to a man.

Regional providers... Keep on keeping on. I've worked with or dealt with all sides of the industry over the last 15+ years, from many of the data centres, tier 1s, fibre networks, tower companies, WISPs,, hosting companies, Openeir, wireless vendors, cellcos, etc. Every year or two, something/someone new comes out, who will supposedly dominate and cause all and sundry to "go bust". It never happens. The good providers keep evolving. The best ones have diversified to not be only operating in the "Intervention Area", to do more B2B, to do other services. They will prevail.

From a customer perspective, just sign up with who you reckon will treat you with respect and value your business. Not, who will keep you on hold for 4 hours while they try to type your sh!t into 5 CRMs. Statistically, your nice local, attentive provider is not likely to go bust, and if they did, you won't be paying your monthlies going forward anyway. Support local!

The State is not going to wind up an industry in one go by rolling out "the" broadband. There will remain a vibrant entrepreneurial element who will always bring something to the table. I've seen it over and over. I know of one regional provider that I've consulted for that had 280 homes in a valley on board with FWA (a small part of their overall business). Eir FTTH came in and in 10 months, they lost 16 customers to it. So you are spot on regarding a real majority of people being apathetic to FTTH. That's not going to be a popular opinion on here, though, in the filter bubble, Andy. I've seen real data, first hand though and apathy is a real obstacle to FTTH rollout.

In time, of course, more will come onboard but one network will never ever get close to 100% take-up. 30% in 5 years would be a real achievement. There will always be competition and a tiered market, also need for diversity links for businesses.

As for the install fee for FTTH, I value your input as a consumer. Marlow is correct though, in that there is a €400 hit for a provider on day 0 with a customer. That is hard to avoid. Maybe Sky will be the one who can afford to amortise the install. Disastrously for them, though, a new regulation will soon come into place that will thwart their usual strategy of launching on a wholesale platform one contract term in... i.e. getting the first provider to pay the install cost, then churning customers.

I have to say, in general, Andy, you seem to piss off a lot of the guys here, but lads - this is a different perspective from the typical filter bubble here. I'm going out on a limb to say that, we know Andy is coming from an outside/consumer perspective, so let's acknowledge that and take it on board. He is adding something from that angle and he is trying and learning. Any internet forum is a place that has noobs and heads mixing. Don't be Comic Book Guy.

Louth, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Northern Ireland for fixed wireless and Jet. Probably some more areas, I'm forgetting. They have a coverage map on their website. For fibre, you'll have to fill out the form and get a yay or nay. They are working on a better check.

/M

ah right - many thanks

People are not apathetic to FTTH.

They do realise 2 things:
    - what they can afford.
    - what provider treats them like a customer and values their business.

And that's something that can't be beat.

The NBS (which Three won) took 3 types of customers: those that had no other choice, those who wanted a cheaper deal and those who thought it was better.

The ones who though it was better than their regional providers were back to their respective regional providers within months.

Those who wanted a better deal were back to their respective regional providers when Three jacked up the pricing after the 260M were used up.

Those who had no other choice may still be on Three.

/M

• Advertisement

9726_9726 wrote: »
    I've been in this game a long, long, time. The only providers I've known of over the years that I can recall going bust were a bunch of the satellite guys. MediaSat (Eircom subbies), Niall Quinn's crowd, Avonline... Sat crowds seem to fail, to a man.

Ice Broadband .. but they tried .. hard .. they were just not good at certain things needed to run a business.

Last Mile .... I won't even go there. But you know what I mean.

Beyond that .. yes ... regional providers don't just disappear or go bust. The majority of them have build their business on good service, local integrity, common sense and a model that is affordable.

A good few have diversified and it has been a great benefit to them. Just to mention a few: Wireless Connect, Westnet, Net1, Lightnet, Fastcom, Carnsore Broadband, BBNet, Airwire and a lot more.

There are over 80 Internet Providers in Ireland. Some of which a lot of consumers never have heard about, but who provide an essential service that nobody else can provide.

/M

Andy,

Regional providers... Keep on keeping on. I've worked with or dealt with all sides of the industry over the last 15+ years, from many of the data centres, tier 1s, fibre networks, tower companies, WISPs,, hosting companies, Openeir, wireless vendors, cellcos, etc. Every year or two, something/someone new comes out, who will supposedly dominate and cause all and sundry to "go bust". It never happens. The good providers keep evolving. The best ones have diversified to not be only operating in the "Intervention Area", to do more B2B, to do other services. They will prevail.

From a customer perspective, just sign up with who you reckon will treat you with respect and value your business. Not, who will keep you on hold for 4 hours while they try to type your sh!t into 5 CRMs. Statistically, your nice local, attentive provider is not likely to go bust, and if they did, you won't be paying your monthlies going forward anyway. Support local!

The State is not going to wind up an industry in one go by rolling out "the" broadband. There will remain a vibrant entrepreneurial element who will always bring something to the table. I've seen it over and over. I know of one regional provider that I've consulted for that had 280 homes in a valley on board with FWA (a small part of their overall business). Eir FTTH came in and in 10 months, they lost 16 customers to it. So you are spot on regarding a real majority of people being apathetic to FTTH. That's not going to be a popular opinion on here, though, in the filter bubble, Andy. I've seen real data, first hand though and apathy is a real obstacle to FTTH rollout.

In time, of course, more will come onboard but one network will never ever get close to 100% take-up. 30% in 5 years would be a real achievement. There will always be competition and a tiered market, also need for diversity links for businesses.

As for the install fee for FTTH, I value your input as a consumer. Marlow is correct though, in that there is a €400 hit for a provider on day 0 with a customer. That is hard to avoid. Maybe Sky will be the one who can afford to amortise the install. Disastrously for them, though, a new regulation will soon come into place that will thwart their usual strategy of launching on a wholesale platform one contract term in... i.e. getting the first provider to pay the install cost, then churning customers.

I have to say, in general, Andy, you seem to piss off a lot of the guys here, but lads - this is a different perspective from the typical filter bubble here. I'm going out on a limb to say that, we know Andy is coming from an outside/consumer perspective, so let's acknowledge that and take it on board. He is adding something from that angle and he is trying and learning. Any internet forum is a place that has noobs and heads mixing. Don't be Comic Book Guy.

thanks fort that.

and thanks for realising that I dont intend on pee'ng off people. As you say most of the time I come from an un-educted different angle and I am just learning. I know it can be frustrating. I am in the business over the years of repairing desktop PC's and Laptops and I get people over the years trying to tell me what is wrong with their laptops etc (even though they have left it into me for repair and couldnt repair it themselves) but as infuriating and annoying as it is I just have to bite my tongue, hear them out (and maybe agree with them to appease them , whilst thinking 'you havent got the foggiest on what you are talking about'). As infuriating as it is I am never rude to them - plus of course things you cannot pick up on boards like this is facial expressions and sometimes get your views across the same way as you can face to face in real life with someone so sometimes things get lost in translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I understood that the majority of posters here are consumers.
    Some of us are absolutely clueless.

Do you consider it strange that you chose to pick one out for mention?
    or is it that only one seems "to piss off a lot of the guys here"?

I might well be mistaken, but I did not think this was a thread limited to those 'in the business'.

I might well be mistaken, but I did not think this was a thread limited to those 'in the business'.

Actually .. This thread is a good mix of consumers, people in the know and people in the business.

And then there's those with short term memory :p Pun intended.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

I'm back with good news, thankfully. I got a call back from the same agent yesterday, letting me know that the merge was finished and that I should be alright to order.

I rang up eir loyalty and the guy I spoke to, while very nice, was giving me useless offers. The prices he offered me, even after knocking €10, were the exact same as the online and in person price. Useless.

I did call back later and got through to another guy who was way more helpful. He eventually offered me 300Mb for €45.99 for 12 months which I was happy with. I also noticed that I had been overcharged on my mobile (supposed to be €14.99 for 6 months, then increasing to €19.99 but I was charged €19.99 from the start) and he dropped the mobile to €9.99 for the 12 months.

Very happy overall. I got my install date which is next Tuesday. Definitely looking forward to that. Thanks a million for all of the help I got here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

bcross12 wrote: »
    I'm back with good news, thankfully. I got a call back from the same agent yesterday, letting me know that the merge was finished and that I should be alright to order.

I rang up eir loyalty and the guy I spoke to, while very nice, was giving me useless offers. The prices he offered me, even after knocking €10, were the exact same as the online and in person price. Useless.

I did call back later and got through to another guy who was way more helpful. He eventually offered me 300Mb for €45.99 for 12 months which I was happy with. I also noticed that I had been overcharged on my mobile (supposed to be €14.99 for 6 months, then increasing to €19.99 but I was charged €19.99 from the start) and he dropped the mobile to €9.99 for the 12 months.

Very happy overall. I got my install date which is next Tuesday. Definitely looking forward to that. Thanks a million for all of the help I got here!

Is your copper line coming into the house overhead or via duct? If duct, have you checked if its clear as that is how the fibre cable will be brought in.

Do you know where you want the new connection to be put inside the house and is it near a power outlet?

Its better to get ahead of these questions/issues before they come onsite to ensure you get a successful install, first time.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Eir will enter 2019 with 1.9m homes and businesses connected to fibre and a €1bn plan to deepen the fibre and mobile footprint. This includes a 335,000 rural FTTH footprint by June.

Last year, Eir signed a commitment with the Irish Government to serve 300,000 premises with FTTH, removing them from the National Broadband Plan’s (NBP) original intervention footprint. Lennon disputes speculation that this led to other telcos walking away from the NBP. “I think it is fair to say that Eir got a good deal to spend €250m of its own money. It was unsubsidised and all the risk was taken by ourselves. At the end of September, 228,000 families, farmers and businesses in that footprint have had access to high-speed fibre broadband, and it will be 335,000 by June.”

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-ceo-carolan-lennon-interview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

We are also trialling fixed wireless access (FWA) over 5G and we’ve identified four sites in Mayo and Meath.”

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-ceo-carolan-lennon-interview

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If they have any customers left by then
    Also over half of the staff they are hiring are leaving pretty sharpish.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Eir will enter 2019 with 1.9m homes and businesses connected to fibre

Now .. that there is a blatant lie.

That would assume 100% take-up of what they've rolled out. Nevermind that a whole bunch of VDSL is sub 30M.

Passed != Connected.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

They did say had access. There are lots of areas with access to it and no safe way to get it to the premises. Then there are those who are told what they need to do and insist it's on the provider to get it to them on their own property.
    (The latter is a rare few but they do exist)
    There are some parts of the country it's so boggy once it gets put in the ducts practically fill themselves back up.
    There's an area that has ftth that I know of and it's been sat there dormant while the providers seem to think VDSL is available but not ftth where in reality the opposite is true.
    Then there's another area where fibre has been put in but there's no way to actually get it into finished buildings which have a cabinet less than 100meters away.
    This makes me wonder how the urban rollout is supposed to work. If it's all new houses they're nodding at that was happening anyway.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    This makes me wonder how the urban rollout is supposed to work. If it's all new houses they're nodding at that was happening anyway.

Don't even get me started. SIRO have been very inventive to get this done.

/M

Don't even get me started. SIRO have been very inventive to get this done.

/M

Soffit and fascia job stringing it along across houses. That's awful messy and there's enough trouble with neighbours not getting on. It may be the only way though.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Soffit and fascia job stringing it along across houses. That's awful messy and there's enough trouble with neighbours not getting on. It may be the only way though.

It's the same situation for Virgin. And yes, it doesn't work everywhere.

But I've seen places, where you have semi-detached premises and they've done surface retractable. One neighbor doesn't sign the wayleave, then they still serve the other from the neighboring house. Just takes a bit longer to get that premise listed due to civils.

We have had a few of these examples in Ennis and Limerick. In Sligo it went the other way though. There is a whole street that didn't get enabled because ducting nor overhead was possible and there wasn't sufficient people signing the wayleave to install a surface retractable solution.

And to be honest: OpenEIR has done the same for decades with the copper. The DPs are also often mounted on the front surface of buildings. Often at 1st floor level.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR VDSL cabinets on our FTTH/FTTC availability check today.

A new cabinet was launched in Bweeng this month.

December will see new cabinets going live in Ballyboden, Swords, Bawnboy near Cavan, Ballymakeera near Macroom, Ballynaboola/Wexford, Churchill near Letterkenny, Kilkee and Stradbally/Waterford.

These updates are for VDSL only.

Our availability check can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Finally sorted for install now. Install scheduled for Tuesday. Had a fella out this morning who put rope in from house to chamber and also chamber to the pole where the DP is as there wasn’t one, just small roll of fiber which wouldn’t have reached house.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

While I was away for a few weeks, OpenEir decided to connect literally half the parish to FTTH and had been working on my road 7 days a week for weeks, until yesterday when I arrived home so had no chance of talking to them.

The M11 motorway is going by my house and I think it could be a blessing in disguise in terms of broadband. The start of the duct which goes under the bridge of the motorway starts at my gateway. I am hopeful that it is a DP as a neighbour said there are "a load of wires in it". I have attached an artists impression a picture showing where I am, where the fibre is and where it is soon to go live.

My nearest neighbour on my side of the road at the far side of the motorway is live (previously 2nd Half 2018 Also). My nearest neighbour at the exchange side of the motorway is available soon while I am part of the NBP... I and a few neighbours can't get it due to our distance from the road. I am about 80 metres from the pole pictured.

Does anyone here know who should I contact in an effort to get FTTH (fibrepower? DCCAE? Eir Retail? Pure Telecom (current landline provider)? and what are my chances? The other two neighbours on the road are further than me from the road without the direct line of sight that I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

daraghwal wrote: »
    While I was away for a few weeks, OpenEir decided to connect literally half the parish to FTTH and had been working on my road 7 days a week for weeks, until yesterday when I arrived home so had no chance of talking to them.

The M11 motorway is going by my house and I think it could be a blessing in disguise in terms of broadband. The start of the duct which goes under the bridge of the motorway starts at my gateway. I am hopeful that it is a DP as a neighbour said there are "a load of wires in it". I have attached an artists impression a picture showing where I am, where the fibre is and where it is soon to go live.

My nearest neighbour on my side of the road at the far side of the motorway is live (previously 2nd Half 2018 Also). My nearest neighbour at the exchange side of the motorway is available soon while I am part of the NBP... I and a few neighbours can't get it due to our distance from the road. I am about 80 metres from the pole pictured.

Does anyone here know who should I contact in an effort to get FTTH (fibrepower? DCCAE? Eir Retail? Pure Telecom (current landline provider)? and what are my chances? The other two neighbours on the road are further than me from the road without the direct line of sight that I have.

If you haven't been included in their list of premises then I'm afraid there is not much you can do.

However the picture you describe is somewhat confusing. The premises to the left of the motorway, closest to the exchange, are "Available Soon" while the premises to the right of the exchange are live. Are you sure the two sets of premises are being served by the same exchange? It would be quite unusual for premises close to the exchange not to be live while those further out are. I tried to find the area on the map but could not locate it.

The "Available Soon" is I guess from the Airwire checker. Martin will be able to confirm but believe that result comes from a list of premises that have been pre-indexed for FTTH. Your premises is not on this list but there is a chance (however small) that you could be included when open eir publish the list of Eircodes that have been passed (the APQ file).

Until the area goes live there is not much you can do but wait and hope you've been included.

There's no cabinet nearby is there?!
    maybe there's a cabinet they plan to upgrade would explain the reason for leaving your side out?

• Advertisement

What is the process of a port changing between providers on VDSL.
    Say someone is with sky then changes to eir.
    A couple of times it's happened that the port would be left the broadband would be running the port changes ownership on the open eir portal the modem does a reboot after getting some kind of packet from the network. It goes through post and synchs up then internet light comes on multicast VoIP ect. It's been the case if the old providers modem was plugged in that does the whole reboot then when the new providers modem goes in it just synchs up and does not actually connect to the internet.
    Does the provider send some kind of ICMP SNMP or some such out network wide to ping the router on the end and send configuration data every 20 minutes. What I'm asking is what's happening in the background sight unseen.

Forgive me if I'm just tossing protocols around but I'm trying to figure is there some layer 5 upwards thing that happens that allows the router to connect to the providers service.
    It's quite embarrassing when one goes to put in a Vodafone TV and modem on a customer who's changed over from another provider and it's using the same port. The TV service won't start because the port hasn't migrated over and the customer on the end thinks it's your fault that the network end hasn't caught up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement