Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

The 11th hour will soon be here. OE sent me a private message on Twitter in October saying I should be able to order FTTH for my house in this area on the first week of December - well intrigued to see what comes up Tuesday for me when I check

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The 11th hour will soon be here. OE sent me a private message on Twitter in October saying I should be able to order FTTH for my house in this area on the first week of December - well intrigued to see what comes up Tuesday for me when I check

That entirely depends on which provider you check and order with :) Vodafone seems to even be more out of date than Eir retail.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    That entirely depends on which provider you check and order with :) Vodafone seems to even be more out of date than Eir retail.

/M

yep i suppose so . my heart says go with Airwire because they get such a good reputation on here for both service and fast time from ordering to installation .... but my wallet dictates trying to get a free Install if I can - sorry to come across as cheapskate and believe me I wish I could just magic up 129 / 199 out of no-where but am not in a position to

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

KCross wrote: »
    Is your copper line coming into the house overhead or via duct? If duct, have you checked if its clear as that is how the fibre cable will be brought in.

Do you know where you want the new connection to be put inside the house and is it near a power outlet?

Its better to get ahead of these questions/issues before they come onsite to ensure you get a successful install, first time.

Good luck with it.

No duct so it will have to be overhead.

The place I want it has two outlets so that should be alright.

Hopefully smooth sailing from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Did anyone have any issues with KN failing an install as they needed an extra man? Heard a few stories about it but happened over a year ago. With us the chamber lid is a two man lift and job would be easier with two men due to pole->chamber->house route. I'll happily help out if allowed.

• Advertisement

chris_ie wrote: »
    Did anyone have any issues with KN failing an install as they needed an extra man? Heard a few stories about it but happened over a year ago. With us the chamber lid is a two man lift and job would be easier with two men due to pole->chamber->house route. I'll happily help out if allowed.

Generally they have more people in the area and then temporary get somebody to help. Occasionally it happens though.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Marlow wrote: »
    Generally they have more people in the area and then temporary get somebody to help. Occasionally it happens though.

/M

^ this was my experience.

I helped pull the cable through the duct. He gladly accepted my offer and called his colleague to say he didnt need him as the home owner was helping out.

I wanted to help as much as possible to ensure that if there were issues he'd help in kind with sorting it out.

It very much depends on who you get at the door, it seems. A neighbor got a less than helpful guy who refused to install where the owner wanted it stating he can only go 1.5m inside the house. Try to keep them on side is my advice and hope you get a decent individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Same kinda thing happened with me. I helped the KN guy pull the cable through the duct as it required someone to feed in the cable as well as pull. He did all the overhead stuff to the DP then said he had to disappear to help a colleague with a job and he'd be back.... He came back about 3 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Cheers lads. Yeah I've no issues helping, had to help the fella put the ropes in at the weekend aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Hi Andy,

Is your eircode coming up as available soon? I've been in that situation since end of August.

I might send OE a message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

rabwaygal wrote: »
    Hi Andy,

Is your eircode coming up as available soon? I've been in that situation since end of August.

Hi rabwaygal - are you checking that on OEs site or airwire. I see i'm getting a "available soon".
    OE told me it would be early next year before they roll out in my area - a lot later than september but better late than never. But if the coming soon isn't to be trusted either that would be seriously annoying.

Hi Andy,

Hello - yes , has been a long time coming up as 'coming soon' - for months in fact. - It took a load of direct twitter messages to OE before they finally said "sorry for the inconvenience , FTTH should be available to order at your premises in the 1st week of December" - but maybe they just said that to shut me up. - I shall see though . Wont believe it fully until it shows up and until I have the ONT fitted and working :rolleyes:

turbbo wrote: »
    Hi rabwaygal - are you checking that on OEs site or airwire. I see i'm getting a "available soon".
    OE told me it would be early next year before they roll out in my area - a lot later than september but better late than never. But if the coming soon isn't to be trusted either that would be seriously annoying.

I have been checking on both. OE says the second half of this year. Airwire says available soon.

Will see if the airwire update has any change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

I have been checking on both. OE says the second half of this year. Airwire says available soon.

Will see if the airwire update has any change

The airwire checker only updated to "available soon" for me last week.
    The OE checker always said second half 2018.
    Nothing happening on the poles near me -
    so I don't see much happening this month. Reckon it's gonna be well into next january before they get a finger out.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We are looking at improving the results on our checker with the predicted quarter for the rollout. That data should start to show mid/end next week, where we have it.

A good few exchanges have now been moved into Q1 2019. Especially seeing that a lot of other carriers freeze their networks during December.

turbbo wrote: »
    The airwire checker only updated to "available soon" for me last week.
    The OE checker always said second half 2018.
    Nothing happening on the poles near me -
    so I don't see much happening this month. Reckon it's gonna be well into next january before they get a finger out.

I think the airwire checker for me has said available soon since early October. DP boxes already up on the poles. Hopefully activation happens soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I see the eir Talk To forum is back.

https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I see the eir Talk To forum is back.

https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

It is indeed and back at the same old thing. Customer writes out a detailed explanation. Rep tells them to call 1901. Customer says they can't get through to 1901. Rep lies and says 1901 is unusually busy.

tuxy wrote: »
    It is indeed and back at the same old thing. Customer writes out a detailed explanation. Rep tells them to call 1901. Customer says they can't get through to 1901. Rep lies and says 1901 is unusually busy.

Yeah. "High volume of calls" instead of normal volume of calls with reduced volume of staff!

Yeah. "High volume of calls" instead of normal volume of calls with reduced volume of staff!

they should transfer all their support to Indian call centres ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Or you know, train in the in house staff before cutting off the out sourced centre.... mad idea

they should transfer all their support to Indian call centres ...

It is the Indians at fault for this mess.

I'd say thats going to cost them dearly bringing all their support back to Ireland isnt it?. I mean I am not being racist or anything , (more like realistic) , that the Indian call centres (regardless of the level of expertise) are cheaper to these companies thats why such a lot of companies like this in the technological/computer and communications sectors choose to outsource their customer call centres to India in the first place.

I'd say thats going to cost them dearly bringing all their support back to Ireland isnt it?.

Their support was in Ireland, but ran by an indian company. With chats, database techs, backend support etc ran from India.

It's cost them more than they can afford making that mistake in the first place. Nevermind bringing all of the support back in the fold.

It's one of the reasons, it's worse than ever with them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That's what the cowboys said :D

That's what the cowboys said :D

But they weren't that wrong. It's all a matter of perspective :p

/M

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

I'm after checking a few postcodes in my village that were "available soon" for last few weeks. Any I checked now are "Not available" for FTTH. We have DP's taped to poles for last 2 months or so.

leex wrote: »
    I'm after checking a few postcodes in my village that were "available soon" for last few weeks. Any I checked now are "Not available" for FTTH. We have DP's taped to poles for last 2 months or so.

That may not be a bad thing. OpenEIR index premises for FTTH during the build. When they get to the time, where the build goes live, they update the entire database for that area and merge the eircodes of the premises with their actual copper records.

It's not uncommon for their database being out of sync while they do that.

Our best guess is, that your premise actually could be listed in the next few weeks.

If you can PM me an eircode or two, I can check them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

leex wrote: »
    I'm after checking a few postcodes in my village that were "available soon" for last few weeks. Any I checked now are "Not available" for FTTH.

Same here. I've checked some others in the area that are definitely in the 300k & theirs have also changed to 'not available'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement