Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Install done this morning and all up and running. Getting around 15ms ping, 200-250 down and 35-40 up (300/50 package). Although didn't get to play around much as I had to come in to work, and only got a few tests. Will suss it all out later.

Cheers to Martin/Airwire, very smooth process. Kept up to date at all times and quick responses to any mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Is a second router still the best way to spread the WiFi signal? It actually spreads pretty well in our house (better than I expected tbh) but I have had people asking me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

correction wrote: »
    Is a second router still the best way to spread the WiFi signal? It actually spreads pretty well in our house (better than I expected tbh) but I have had people asking me.

No you only want one router when people use a second router they disable all the router functions.

What you want is either a wireless access point connected over ethernet to the router(best option) or a wireless repeater(not as good but is the only option if you can't get an ethernet cable to a wireless access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

tuxy wrote: »
    No you only want one router when people use a second router they disable all the router functions.

What you want is either a wireless access point connected over ethernet to the router(best option) or a wireless repeater(not as good but is the only option if you can't get an ethernet cable to a wireless access point.

So this would be a decent bet?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WA801ND-Wireless-Access-Point/dp/B004UBU8IE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543926653&sr=8-3&keywords=wireless+access+point

You plug that into the router and put it where the WiFi is weakest?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Yep, but it's worth it to pay the few extra euro for the next one up if that's what your going for, especially with fibre. I got this one a few months ago and it's very reliable. Works over PoE as well which can work out well if you don't have a socket where you want to place it.

• Advertisement

I've not used that model so I can't say how good it is but yes if you can get an ethernet cable from the router to the weakspot and plug that in you should get a nice strong signal in that area.

daraghwal wrote: »
    Yep, but it's worth it to pay the few extra euro for the next one up if that's what your going for.

You would still probably only get about 100Mbit with most devices over wireless N.
    You would need one that supports AC if you want faster speeds.
    The AC access points are a good bit more expensive though so it depends on what speed you need over wireless.

I bought the Ubiquiti access point (AC). Havent set it up yet but plan on mounting on the ceiling as I can run the network cable easy enough upstairs. Nice size and being POE saves less cables.

chris_ie wrote: »
    I bought the Ubiquiti access point (AC). Havent set it up yet but plan on mounting on the ceiling as I can run the network cable easy enough upstairs. Nice size and being POE saves less cables.

Great choice, expensive but you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

At the price of the Ubiquity access point and if you have a Fritz!Box provided by your provider, you might as well get a 2nd Fritz!Box. (Airwire, 7530, 95 EUR, maybe a 10er shipping). That means not only extending the 2.4 GHz, but also the 5 GHz range.

They can do mesh over wireless or cable and you'd have the same SSID around the house with seamless handover. You can even have your phone hanging of either router, even the secondary.

/M

• Advertisement

Great choice, expensive but you get what you pay for.

Yeah, I'd looked at a few but a few on here, likely including yourself, pointed me in the direction of the Ubiquiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Thank Martin - and surprise, surprise my eircode shows its still unavailable to me ... worse than that. Whereas before it said "Coming Soon" on the airwire checker it actually says "Not Available" now :(

Thank Martin - and surprise, surprise my eircode shows its still unavailable to me ... worse than that. Whereas before it said "Coming Soon" on the airwire checker it actually says "Not Available" now :(

Why the sad face? He already explained how that can sometimes be a good sign

Jup .. it either means something is happening.

Or it means ... OE made a mess of the database again.

Another week might show a different picture.

/M

Why the sad face? He already explained how that can sometimes be a good sign

i dont get that - how can going from 'coming soon' to 'not avaiable' mean its better? - 'coming soon' to 'available' sounds more like it.

the sad face is not aimed at Martin .. its for my frustration.

Marlow wrote: »
    Jup .. it either means something is happening.

Or it means ... OE made a mess of the database again.

Another week might show a different picture.

/M

can I opt for "OE made a mess of the database again" please :)

i dont get that - how can going from 'coming soon' to 'not avaiable' mean its better? - 'coming soon' to 'available' sounds more like it.

the sad face is not aimed at Martin .. its for my frustration.

See Martins post here

chris_ie wrote: »
    See Martins post here

thanks, I will have a read of that - much better than me having to trawl back through posts, or try and remember cheers

thanks, I will have a read of that - much better than me having to trawl back through posts, or try and remember cheers

The post right after the one you quote was someone asking why eircodes now shows not available, the same as yours. Then in the following post Martin explains it.
    I'm honestly worried about your well being at this stage.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

There is something wrong with this weeks line data. That's the database we predict the role out from ("Available soon" etc.)

We've raised that issue with OpenEIR now and our database is reverted to last weeks file. The Prequalification file (APQ) is correct and from today.

• Advertisement

The post right after the one you quote was someone asking why eircodes now shows not available, the same as yours. Then in the following post Martin explains it.

Nah .. he never reads back and always jumps to conclusions. Doesn't matter if it has been explained 5 minutes earlier.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Nah .. he never reads back and always jumps to conclusions. Doesn't matter if it has been explained 5 minutes earlier.

/M

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to the early onset of dementia as he has claimed to be unable to remember most things.

i didnt see it - maybe I did not refresh the screen or something. Its not really a deal is it?

ooh I just checked and interestingly the vodafone checker says "Gigabit broadband is available at" my eircode now whereby it didnt say that yesterday! :)

https://www.vodafone.ie/home/gigabit-address-checker

ooh I just checked and interestingly the vodafone checker says "Gigabit broadband is available at" my eircode now whereby it didnt say that yesterday! :)

https://www.vodafone.ie/home/gigabit-address-checker

Just did the same for a neighbour. Checked this morning and it was coming soon on airwire, then went to not available when airwire updated it. On vodafone it's now coming up as available.

Edit: Just went back to not available on vodafone.

When Airwire showed 21st November for me, at the start of November VF was showing as available and Eir showed unavailable. So VF may be signing people up before its actually available. Airwires date was correct, I realise though that its not showing a date for you guys at the minute, likely due to what Martin mentioned.

Edit : Also clear your cache. I found that when the 21st came and after ordering from Airwire, eir still showed as not available. Clearing the cache then showed available.

daraghwal wrote: »
    Just did the same for a neighbour. Checked this morning and it was coming soon on airwire, then went to not available when airwire updated it. On vodafone it's now coming up as available.

Edit: Just went back to not available on vodafone.

I guess Vodafone also realised there was error on this weeks OE update file.

OK , I checked again on Vodafone eircode checker and it says available with my eircode - got in touch with 'chat' on the page and an advisor said can I have your eircode please - I gave it him .. then he said I'm sorry your eircode shows its not available , so I said I am looking at the web page now and it says it is available at my address and he said that just means your area is showing up as availble but your address / eircode its not available (???) - so then I said do you have any idea when it will be available then and when i can believe the vodafone eircode checker and he said i am sorry I do not have access to the rollout details ...

and that was that !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

OK , I checked again on Vodafone eircode checker and it says available with my eircode - got in touch with 'chat' on the page and an advisor said can I have your eircode please - I gave it him .. then he said I'm sorry your eircode shows its not available , so I said I am looking at the web page now and it says it is available at my address and he said that just means your area is showing up as availble but your address / eircode its not available (???) - so then I said do you have any idea when it will be available then and when i can believe the vodafone eircode checker and he said i am sorry I do not have access to the rollout details ...

and that was that !

Yeah they are as much in the dark as us i'd say. Just in an office checking a DB.

You'll need to grab one of the dudes getting out of openeir or kn vans floating around your area and ask them what the story is. As far as I'm concerned if those little black dp boxs aren't strapped to a few poles near you nathin is happening anytime soon. Even then it might be still a long wait.

• Advertisement

and that was that !

Sounds like it's just a mistake on OpenEir's side. Give it a week or two I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement