Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Anyone manage to transfer from Eir rural Fibre (one of the 300,000) to Vodafone?. What speed are you getting and how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

garroff wrote: »
    Anyone manage to transfer from Eir rural Fibre (one of the 300,000) to Vodafone?. What speed are you getting and how much?

Vodafone dont sell rural fibre, just SIRO

Spoke to a Vodafone rep yesterday. He assured me that Vodafone can give me 60Mbps Fibre broadband VIA my existing Eir installed fibre network.!!!!
    I pressed him on this, knowing the relationship between Siro and Vodafone and he was adamant that Vodafone will use my existing Eir fibre installation to give me 60Mbps fibre BB.

As with all questions on Fibre BB there seems to be no clarity on ANY issue.

If he is correct, surely, someone has done this?????

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Spoke to a Vodafone rep yesterday. He assured me that Vodafone can give me 60Mbps Fibre broadband VIA my existing Eir installed fibre network.!!!!
    I pressed him on this, knowing the relationship between Siro and Vodafone and he was adamant that Vodafone will use my existing Eir fibre installation to give me 60Mbps fibre BB.

He's trying to get a sale off you and get you on VDSL (copper). Which people call "fibre" cause Eir. Why not go with one of the independents, like Airwire? Or Digiweb or Pure....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That's because he's clueless. The 60 Mbit/s is a dead giveaway.

Sales reps really need to stop marketing FTTC (aka VDSL) as fiber.

With Eir:
    eFiber is NOT fiber.
    eir Fiber Extreme is fiber.

With Vodafone:
    Vodafone Simply Broadband is NOT fiber.
    Vodafone Gigabit Broadband is fiber and only available on SIRO.

And no, you can not migrate from eir Fiber Extreme to Vodafone Simply Broadband. One is fiber and the other is copper.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Vodafone currently can't offer any services over OpenEir's FTTH Network. The service the sales agent is trying to sell you is from a completely different standard of broadband operated from a cabinet called FTTC which is a mixed copper and fibre solution. FTTH is 100% fibre network so no copper based FTTC services are available from it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The Vodafone agent is perhaps getting confused between the two due to a mix up on Vodafone's checker. A while back they were planning to offer their FTTH services on OpenEir's FTTH Network but decided not to in the end due to OpenEir's charges.

When that was going on their checkers were starting to pass Eir customers saying speeds up to 1000 meg are available. Now when I put in my own line number the Vodafone website tries to sell me Vodafone's FTTC plans, that I am passing for 100 down and 20 up. I can even order their TV services. The previous message that up to 1000 meg is available is now gone.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Many thanks for the clarifications.
    BB sales is the snake oil of our age.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

So how long after an exchange goes live can Fibre be ordered ?

My exchange had a live date of April 11th .

I'm getting different answers depending on which site I try .

According to - https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ it's not available.

According to the Airwire checker it'll be available on May 9th .

According to Digiweb , it's available . ( I'm assuming they just go by the estimated live date ? )

The map at http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ , still says "estimated live date is April 11th " , my house is blue on the map .
    I'm guessing that'll change when the map gets updated next .

After years of waiting for decent broadband it's so tantalizingly close , and I'm just getting impatient :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Fibrerollout map wasn't updated since end March.

Airwire, Digiweb and Eir retail work of the same dataset.

Eir probably hasn't updated their database yet. Digiweb ignores the "ready for order" date and takes your order now, places it later.

The date on Airwires checker is the actual live date for your Eircode as per OpenEir database. Operators can't place an order before that.

/M

Marlow wrote: »

Eir probably hasn't updated their database yet. Digiweb ignores the "ready for order" date and takes your order now, places it later.

The date on Airwires checker is the actual live date for your Eircode as per OpenEir database. Operators can't place an order before that.

/M

So I'll be able to order on May 9th ?

How long from ordering to installation usually ?
    Days / weeks ?

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

ninja 12 wrote: »
    So I'll be able to order on May 9th ?

How long from ordering to installation usually ?
    Days / weeks ?

OpenEIR won't allow us to place the order before the "RFO" date. (That's "ready for order"). And we have to give them 5 workdays advance notice on any order.

So the earliest, that you could have FTTH is the 15 or 16.05.2018.

That's the same for any of the OpenEIR wholesales partners. What they tell you in advance is a different story.

Marlow wrote: »

/M
    OpenEIR won't allow us to place the order before the "RFO" date. (That's "ready for order"). And we have to give them 5 workdays advance notice on any order.

So the earliest, that you could have FTTH is the 15 or 16.05.2018.

That's the same for any of the OpenEIR wholesales partners. What they tell you in advance is a different story.

Thanks for the info :)

Only 4 more weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Not yet. Vodafone will eventually have to strike a deal with open eir or face obliteration in most of urban/rural Ireland in years to come. I can’t see Siro serving 300k areas in 5 years time. Their already far behind schedule in large urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info :)

Only 4 more weeks :D

I would try and order it now. My area goes live 2nd May, but i was able to order last week via eir chat. Router arrived Thursday, 3 KN guys showed up Friday, got the phone line re-enabled and the fibre pulled from the road to inside the house. So my biggest concern about a blocked duct is dealt with. I will still have to wait until my install date of 8th may, but the ground work is done, so i hope for no more major delays.

Not yet. Vodafone will eventually have to strike a deal with open eir or face obliteration in most of urban/rural Ireland in years to come. I can’t see Siro serving 300k areas in 5 years time. Their already far behind schedule in large urban areas.

same could be said about Sky. Our area was full of Vodafone and Sky broadband plans but most have now switched from copper to FTTH and all moved their phone and broadband to Eir.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I would try and order it now. My area goes live 2nd May, but i was able to order last week via eir chat. Router arrived Thursday, 3 KN guys showed up Friday, got the phone line re-enabled and the fibre pulled from the road to inside the house. So my biggest concern about a blocked duct is dealt with. I will still have to wait until my install date of 8th may, but the ground work is done, so i hope for no more major delays.

That's interesting. I wonder how an operator other than eir would go about getting a KN crew on site to pre-pull fibre in advance of the RFO date?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's interesting. I wonder how an operator other than eir would go about getting a KN crew on site to pre-pull fibre in advance of the RFO date?

All published via UG. If Eir sales can see it everyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

If eir give them a terrible wholesale price they might never sell eir FTTH

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    All published via UG. If Eir sales can see it everyone can.

What UG order type can an operator use to send a KN crew out to pull fibre in advance of the RFO date?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

Anyone know how strict they are on not running cable through the attic?
    We have a pole on the road with the copper coming across the garden and into the attic through the fascia/soffit.
    From there it runs across the attic and dropped down behind the TV in the living room.

I'm really failing to see where they would install the fibre termination box if they wont use the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

What UG order type can an operator use to send a KN crew out to pull fibre in advance of the RFO date?

Just to clarify, they were there to enable the phone line as eir were insisting on it getting re-enabled prior to the fibre install. I asked if they could check the duct as i was sure it would be blocked. When the duct rod hit the underside of the floor in the hall, i got the drill out a got them access to pull the fibre in. The guy gave me his number to ping him when the install comes up, as it will be an easy job for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Geimhreadh wrote: »
    Anyone know how strict they are on not running cable through the attic?
    We have a pole on the road with the copper coming across the garden and into the attic through the fascia/soffit.
    From there it runs across the attic and dropped down behind the TV in the living room.

I'm really failing to see where they would install the fibre termination box if they wont use the attic.

They won't go anywhere near the attic - so you better think about where they could run the cable inside the house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Fibre Bouladuff

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

fritzelly wrote: »
    They won't go anywhere near the attic - so you better think about where they could run the cable inside the house

What if I install some trunking where they don't need to go into the attic just run the cable through where I need it to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Geimhreadh wrote: »
    What if I install some trunking where they don't need to go into the attic just run the cable through where I need it to go?

Some installers will be more accommodating than others. In my experience the more preparation that you have done for them the happier they will be. Although if you get somebody who is a stickler for rules you may be out of luck.

Edit:
    Even the no attics rule may now be doubtful. Bored Accountant posted last month saying KN told him they will go into attics.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106457760&postcount=10335

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Still in all their literature about no attic installations - probably the other guy thinking get the job done and get paid if it was an easy install. Probably more to do with people expecting them to start drilling and feeding the cable through cavities etc and wasting too much time on an install
    If you've got the ducting in place that he can just throw it through then it just makes his job easier

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its getting as far as KNN FLMs its already accepting orders but maybe appointments for that area don't start until the 2nd and the posters understanding of the going live date and when it was RFO aren't one and the same.

KNN have a history of calling end users for early visits to suit their own manpower availability (even if that screws with software cascades on the ISPs side).

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    If its getting as far as KNN FLMs its already accepting orders but maybe appointments for that area don't start until the 2nd and the posters understanding of the going live date and when it was RFO aren't one and the same.
    See above. It wasn't an early fibre install per se, just a helpful KN crew on a bogus "you need copper for fibre" eir installation.
    KNN have a history of calling end users for early visits to suit their own manpower availability (even if that screws with software cascades on the ISPs side).
    Not to mention calling on the original installation date for orders that have been rescheduled and reporting "customer not ready" which bollixes up the whole process.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement