Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

daraghwal wrote: »
    Sounds like it's just a mistake on OpenEir's side. Give it a week or two I suppose.

it wouldnt be their first time back in august or sometime i cannot remember now when it was to be honest airwire listed it as available and i got excited, but it was not airwires fault because OE supply them with the list and it was OE at fault something to do with nodes or something , i dunno i dont get it but it was something like that - you would think someone in OE could check and double check before sending out these lists/details to the ISP's

turbbo wrote: »
    Yeah they are as much in the dark as us i'd say. Just in an office checking a DB.

You'll need to grab one of the dudes getting out of openeir or kn vans floating around your area and ask them what the story is. As far as I'm concerned if those little black dp boxs aren't strapped to a few poles near you nathin is happening anytime soon. Even then it might be still a long wait.

i havent seen the vans round for a while tbh - the dp's have been up since august here - the vans going around then were called diffusion - the bloke putting the cables and a dp in the underground chamber outside my house said 3 weeks lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sounds like your area is done. They will be working on other areas and also work has to be done at the exchange.

tuxy wrote: »
    Sounds like your area is done. They will be working on other areas and also work has to be done at the exchange.

thanks - yeah, more patience required ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ahahahahha

I can see, why Vodafones Eircode checker says: "yes" ....

They've gone the lazy way .... they have now build a database of Eircodes passed, but they only check the first 4 alphanumeric digits.

So you enter your eircode, they strip the last 3 digits of that and they basically match you on the routing code + 1 digit.

Now ... that's gotta be a sales nightmare. The amount of calls they're going to get for customers they can't serve has to be fairly large.

Essentially, the Vodafone checker has become useless. It's going to flag way too many positive that can't get a connection yet.

/M

• Advertisement

But isn't there no real order to Eircodes and similar ones can be hundreds of kilometres apart?

Vodafone challenging Eir for highest level of incompetence.
    This will lead to more frustrated customers and more questions wondering why uptake is low.

tuxy wrote: »
    But isn't there no real order to Eircodes and similar ones can be hundreds of kilometres apart?

Vodafone challenging Eir for highest level of incompetence.
    This will lead to more frustrated customers and more questions wondering why uptake is low.

No .. The first 3 digits of your Eircode are a routing code. That's a fairly confined area. You can see the boundaries on navi's map. I haven't looked much into the 4th digit. It's not hundreds of kilometers anyhow.

But they're certainly making a right mess for themselves with that approach.

Whichever developer came up with that approach should be shot .. hanged .. quartered .. burned .. and fed to the dogs .. not necessarily in that order.

Precise matching doesn't come into the picture though. They're going to get loads of calls. Lots of false positives. It's useless like that.

/M

its not even worth keeping an eye on the vodafone eircode checker page then so - what a balls up. the guy on chat didnt even say to me "would you like us to let you know when your house becomes available for FTTH" - he just asked "is there anything else i can help you with?"

You're spot on there Andy .. it's as useless as a third ***** like that.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,073 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Marlow wrote: »
    No .. The first 3 digits of your Eircode are a routing code. That's a fairly confined area. You can see the boundaries on navi's map. I haven't looked much into the 4th digit. It's not hundreds of kilometers anyhow.

But they're certainly making a right mess for themselves with that approach.

Whichever developer came up with that approach should be shot .. hanged .. quartered .. burned .. and fed to the dogs .. not necessarily in that order.

Precise matching doesn't come into the picture though. They're going to get loads of calls. Lots of false positives. It's useless like that.

/M

I was under the impression that Eircode is deliberately geographically obfuscated to make it a commercial product rather than use a geographically logical system that was free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

My elderly parents house in co Galway just went live this month, they have 6 months left on an eircom contract at €40 a month with calls included and 3.5MB download. After ringing up eir the equivalent ftth package is €75 a month on a new 12 month contract. It's not worth it for them with the 130 install fee also. They're going to wait until May when the contract is up and move. Another reason uptake may be low initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

The eircode system is probably one of the best things to have ever done.
    You wouldn't believe how some people try to give directions to their house. Some try to give directions to their district and they have the gall to get frustrated when your the one not understanding their way of finding their address.
    Address could be absolutely vague
    Meath clonee and that's it a phone number that doesn't ring and no way of finding the house at least with an eircode you get a door to knock on.
    None of this do ya know the area?
    Which direction ya coming from?
    Ya go down the road when you see a bad pothole you take the third left they'll be a cream house about a half a mile up then you'll come to a pair of oak trees hang a right go up two miles and you'll come to a bad bend I'm the third house up.

You could see a pothole and turn a mile before and spend the next five minutes wondering where the hell you are.

Additionally when someone says down the road and it's on a steep gradient I'm going to go down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Forgot to mention yesterday. The KN guy who did my install reckoned they are going back to the separate ODP ONT units again, i.e. not the cradle. Said the combined one I got was one of the last few he had.

Did you ask why?

Dont think he knew why, got interrupted when chatting then and didn't follow up.

Could be loads of things I guess. They may even introduce a new one that they managed to source at a lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭plodder

cnocbui wrote: »
    I was under the impression that Eircode is deliberately geographically obfuscated to make it a commercial product rather than use a geographically logical system that was free.
    The right most four characters of an Eircode are obfuscated. The only public part is the initial 3 character routing key which refers to an identifiable area. The size of those areas varies a lot. In the east of the country they are small enough (eg Dublin postal districts). In the West, they are quite large. So, different Eircodes with the same routing key could easily be tens of km apart. In some extreme cases, they might be 100 km, or slightly more.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was able to find two premises in H91 that are 156km apart by road without too much trouble.

Not that it matters - if it's true that they're checking using the routing key and the first random digit, that's a complete farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

An uncle of mine had an install date of today (Ariwire too) but the DP was not live so couldn't go ahead. Even more aware of how lucky I am now.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    if it's true that they're checking using the routing key and the first random digit, that's a complete farce.

I'll need to dig a bit deeper now, but the JSON they use to match client side only has 4 digit eircodes in it now. That applies both to OpenEIR and SIRO match.

And from the responses we say yesterday (like .. Andy is live, you know) ... there you go.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Noticed where I live in north east Cork, Knockraha, that KN Networks blew fibre into the ducting outside all the houses. But Fibre does not seem to be setup on the poles yet. Any idea of time line for this area. It was originally down as Q4 2018 but doubt that will happen now

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

correction wrote: »
    An uncle of mine had an install date of today (Ariwire too) but the DP was not live so couldn't go ahead. Even more aware of how lucky I am now.

Those issues usually get solved within a few days. It's just annoying, that there has to be a second visit. But we always keep a close eye on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Those issues usually get solved within a few days. It's just annoying, that there has to be a second visit. But we always keep a close eye on those.

I'll let him know but thankfully he wasn't as desperate for the day fiber finally arrives as I was. It's honestly a whole new life since we got it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Or two months in my case. Ordered April, May install but DO not live. July 25th finally got it installed

Or two months in my case. Ordered April, May install but DO not live. July 25th finally got it installed

Probably depends on how much the provider haunts OpenEIR.

/M

I'll need to dig a bit deeper now, but the JSON they use to match client side only has 4 digit eircodes in it now. That applies both to OpenEIR and SIRO match.

And from the responses we say yesterday (like .. Andy is live, you know) ... there you go.

/M

The full eircodes do seem to be listed, just grouped by first character, then by second and third character within those groups and finally the final 4 characters within that second group.
    {
        "Y": { //First char
            "14": [ //Next two chars
                {
                    "e": "A003" //Final 4 chars
                },

chris_ie wrote: »
    The full eircodes do seem to be listed, just grouped by first character, then by second and third character within those groups and finally the final 4 characters within that second group.

Seeing that now, yes. Didn't get to check the data thoroughly yesterday. I guess that's enough obfuscation to deter most from a bit of data mining.

/M

babi-hrse wrote: »
    The eircode system is probably one of the best things to have ever done.
    You wouldn't believe how some people try to give directions to their house. Some try to give directions to their district and they have the gall to get frustrated when your the one not understanding their way of finding their address.
    Address could be absolutely vague
    Meath clonee and that's it a phone number that doesn't ring and no way of finding the house at least with an eircode you get a door to knock on.
    None of this do ya know the area?
    Which direction ya coming from?
    Ya go down the road when you see a bad pothole you take the third left they'll be a cream house about a half a mile up then you'll come to a pair of oak trees hang a right go up two miles and you'll come to a bad bend I'm the third house up.

You could see a pothole and turn a mile before and spend the next five minutes wondering where the hell you are.

Additionally when someone says down the road and it's on a steep gradient I'm going to go down the road.

yes i think its one of the best things to happen too. so handy to put the eircode into maps or google and get an exact pinpoint. - i have used it loads since its come in , i find most people it helps them. of course the 'older' brigade (sorry to sound ageist) have a problem with it and still wont use it with things like "I dont use the internet" or "where do I put the eircode into" and would rather have the "turn right at the crossroads, look for big 2 storey house, thats Murrins , then follow the bor'een and theres a well on the left etc.. totally much more hassle and even more of a nightmare after dark! - I dont really know how we got on without it to be honest , especially in rural ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

derekbro wrote: »
    My elderly parents house in co Galway just went live this month, they have 6 months left on an eircom contract at €40 a month with calls included and 3.5MB download. After ringing up eir the equivalent ftth package is €75 a month on a new 12 month contract. It's not worth it for them with the 130 install fee also. They're going to wait until May when the contract is up and move. Another reason uptake may be low initially.

Give eir a call. I know that's a pain at the moment but I was eventually able to get through to them. I was in a contract already until next August. I was getting €61.99 per month for broadband and lowest tier landline (haven't a clue, the thing isn't even plugged in), plus the mobile which was €14.99 for 6 months then up to €19.99. Spoke to one fella in loyalty who was clueless. The "best price" he could give me was actually €10 more than the online and in-person price! Even after "doing his best", he could only knock a tenner off and he told me that there was no manager I could speak to who could do any better.

I gave them a call back at about half 5 (loyalty closes at 6) and one of the guys in sales said he could help me since I'd be unlikely to get through to loyalty at that time. After telling him the "offers" the first guy gave me, he said he could do 300Mb for €45.99 for 12 months and gigabit for €69.99 for 12 months. He also knocked the mobile down to €9.99 for the year. Also, I only had to pay the installation fee of €99.99. The rep told me since I'm already with eir, I didn't need to pay the €29.99 activation fee. You can get a better price, it just really depends on who you talk to. I can PM you the sales rep's name if you like, you can try and get a hold of him.

• Advertisement

Don't forget you have to wait until the bill comes in to see what deal you actually get as people are frequently overcharged after being offered a good rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement