Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

chris_ie wrote: »
    The full eircodes do seem to be listed, just grouped by first character, then by second and third character within those groups and finally the final 4 characters within that second group.

Yep. Complete eircodes were there, so I don't know what went wrong with their check.

Obviously they've obfuscated the file now for both the reasons of limiting data mining and it also makes the file quite a bit smaller.

I still wouldn't want to access their check on a slow connection. Those files are still large enough.

Either way .. I've already converted them back to usable format.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,072 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

tuxy wrote: »
    Don't forget you have to wait until the bill comes in to see what deal you actually get as people are frequently overcharged after being offered a good rate.

Clearly you need to record all phone conversations 'for training and quality purposes'.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Clearly you need to record all phone conversations 'for training and quality purposes'.

That's a must anyhow.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Still take hours and months to sort it out in many cases even if you have proof. How much is your time worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

Don't forget you have to wait until the bill comes in to see what deal you actually get as people are frequently overcharged after being offered a good rate.

Bill just came in today. Looks fine now but I'll be sure to keep on top of it as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Ironic that just before Niel bought the company, their customer support and tech support were getting better. Best in a number of years. I left them and Meteor in 2012 swearing to never look back.

When transferred, In-house CC will have teething problems for months to come no doubt. It’ll be two years before everything goes back to normal.

An advantage of in-house CC is the ability for the agent to telemarketing. “There I’ve fixed the fault blah blah, did you know you can get s9 for €xx on 24 month contract saving €xx”

Vodafone (mobile) ring up out of the blue every few months offering deals to me. Normally some good deals to be had. I got my upgrade 3 months early during the summer, same contract nothing changed. Here’s a good one. Vodafone gave an ex girlfriend a horrid yellow Nokia Lumia 1020 on PAYG for free one time. An Post delivered it and a PAYG sim came with it :D it was meant to bill pay.

They’ve finally fixed my eir too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Im afraid the poor CC is in their DNA, its not going to change.

Even more so now its back in house, there is a sense of civil servant self entitlement feel like they can lie to customers without any repercussions, they must be trained in how to just grind the customers down till they just accept it.

I moved from them last week, had been a customer for over 20 years, to airwire and the difference is night and day wrt customer service. I will gladfully pay a premium for that.

I will be persuading as many people i know to move from Eir, when it hits them in the financials and a few hundred lay offs, they might start listening to the customer.

I am still awaiting the disaster that will be my final bill with them, gave them the required 30 days notice and they send me a bill for line rental for december...idiots from the top down imo.

Must take my blood pressure meds now...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Guys, just wondering if anyone else has had a bad experience trying to sign up for Eir FTTH? I can't believe how incompetent they are!

The story is, a rep called to our house and we struck a deal. Then I got an email with the prices but it was €15 higher than what we agreed. I called them up to find out what was going on only to find out the account was terminated! They couldn't tell me why, unbelievable. So I started a new account online with a different rep. Then I got two letters about two different direct debits. I called later to find out why and they couldn't find the new account. Luckily I had taken note of the account number and when I gave them that, they told me they had no details of what I'd signed up for and no record of any direct debit even though I had all the numbers. So I said I was going elsewhere but she said she'd have to transfer me to another department to cancel the account. I said I wasn't prepared to wait another hour because of their mistakes and hung up. NEVER again! :mad:

All fairly standard stuff from Eir I'm afraid. Sorry to hear it happened yet again, it will take some time to sort out unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

KN guy was out this morning to set it all up and put it on in here in Monaghan. Said that we seemed to be the first ones in the area that were getting connected, and joked that he hoped it was actually up and running when he went up the pole. Turns out he wasn't able to get anything from the pole, so it's been cancelled for now until OpenEir have things working properly for the area I guess. Hopefully can be sorted soon enough at this stage and the install isn't delayed too far into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Racket wrote: »
    so it's been cancelled for now until OpenEir have things working properly for the area I guess.

An order actually doesn't get cancelled at that stage. It stays open and is escalated with OpenEIR to be fixed.

There is no action needed by the customer.

OpenEIR has to rectify this in a timely manner, as there is an order pending.

Distribution point not live, too me 2 months for that to be resolved which seems to be the max amount it usually takes and can be sorted much sooner depending on the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

kelly1 wrote: »
    Guys, just wondering if anyone else has had a bad experience trying to sign up for Eir FTTH? I can't believe how incompetent they are!

The story is, a rep called to our house and we struck a deal. Then I got an email with the prices but it was €15 higher than what we agreed. I called them up to find out what was going on only to find out the account was terminated! They couldn't tell me why, unbelievable. So I started a new account online with a different rep. Then I got two letters about two different direct debits. I called later to find out why and they couldn't find the new account. Luckily I had taken note of the account number and when I gave them that, they told me they had no details of what I'd signed up for and no record of any direct debit even though I had all the numbers. So I said I was going elsewhere but she said she'd have to transfer me to another department to cancel the account. I said I wasn't prepared to wait another hour because of their mistakes and hung up. NEVER again! :mad:

Hate to say it but you'll probably have to call them back to confirm your cancellation or else be prepared to either
    1) Have direct debits taken for a service you didn't get
    2) Get hassling emails asking for that money for months.

Distribution point not live, too me 2 months for that to be resolved which seems to be the max amount it usually takes and can be sorted much sooner depending on the problem.

If it's an isolated distribution point, it can take that long.

The clusters that went live in Monaghan the last 2 weeks have been an ongoing issue. So there is an entire area up there, that wasn't ready. That short of situation should be fixed fairly quickly. We also have issues in Esker, Co. Offaly, Charleville, Co. Mayo, Menlough, Co. Galway and in Wexford. OpenEIR is not quite as ready, as they had assumed.

These issues are not isolated.

Neighbours 150 metres up the road further along the line had it a month before me.
    They had to replace my DP and it took them two months to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

The clusters that went live in Monaghan the last 2 weeks have been an ongoing issue. So there is an entire area up there, that wasn't ready. That short of situation should be fixed fairly quickly. We also have issues in Esker, Co. Offaly, Charleville, Co. Mayo, Menlough, Co. Galway and in Wexford. OpenEIR is not quite as ready, as they had assumed.

These issues are not isolated.

Do you mind me asking what areas in Wexford are having issues?

daraghwal wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what areas in Wexford are having issues?

New deployments in the New Ross area at the moment. Some installations are failing. These are all issue we raise with OpenEIR, when we notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jem2018

KN guy was out this morning to set it all up and put it on in here in Monaghan. Said that we seemed to be the first ones in the area that were getting connected, and joked that he hoped it was actually up and running when he went up the pole. Turns out he wasn't able to get anything from the pole, so it's been cancelled for now until OpenEir have things working properly for the area I guess. Hopefully can be sorted soon enough at this stage and the install isn't delayed too far into the future.

Eircode here outside Dundalk went live for FTTH last week, allegedly. KN installation failed yesterday. No DP here. Lovely length of fibre cable lying in the ditch since August.

Openeir are a shower of jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

oleras wrote: »
    ...Must take my blood pressure meds now...:pac:

haha - i wonder how many strokes these days can be attributed to companies and their customer 'care' services these days?

i find most times when i have high blood pressure (and yes I am on meds that are supposed to help) its not to do with overweight, or not enough exercise, or cholesterol as the doctors would call it, its a lot of the time to do with insubordinace of CC teams, companies, and other people and situations that appear like right PITA situations .. am sure if those people and situations were all taken out of the equation and life went a lot smoother BP medication could be reduced greatly!

from what i read there could be big delays if roads have to closed partially or totally to fix a problem because it has to go to a councils roads department and that is were big delays can arise from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

from what i read there could be big delays if roads have to closed partially or totally to fix a problem because it has to go to a councils roads department and that is were big delays can arise from

Yep there was a job out in Kildare and the road was partially closed off an lad from eir in suit. Management of some discription pulled up and was asking me was there signal as it had issues for a few weeks with fails due to no light it was his job to check on the crews fixing the splitters.
    It's nice to actually see someone with actual power to do anything in eir taking a proper look at the network to see it being resolved. Asked him a few questions about areas stuck in limbo with orders. He genuinely had no idea and wanted me to forward any areas with issues.
    I'm sorry I lost the bit of paper with his details.

jem2018 wrote: »
    Eircode here outside Dundalk went live for FTTH last week, allegedly. KN installation failed yesterday. No DP here. Lovely length of fibre cable lying in the ditch since August.

Openeir are a shower of jokers.

In Esker there are DPs on the poles .. but they forgot to string the fiber along :)

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    In Esker there are DPs on the poles .. but they forgot to string the fiber along :)

/M

maybe they are the new wireless DP's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,072 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Marlow wrote: »

/M

It's the thought, that counts.

I’ve been looking at the Vodafone FTTH Checker using http://webalert.me/ over the last few days to see what is happening with it. I used an Eircode that I know is not live yet, but is due to be live in the coming weeks (available soon on Airwire, DPs on poles on some parts of the road, Openeir say 2nd 1/2 2018). I got some interesting results.

Tuesday 15.30 Great News! Gigabit Broadband is available at ...
    Tuesday 16.00 Gigabit Broadband is not available at ... yet
    Wednesday 19.00 Great News! Gigabit Broadband is available at ...
    Thursday 1.00 Gigabit Broadband is not available at ... yet
    Thursday 19.30 Great News! Gigabit Broadband is available at ...
    Friday 2.00 Gigabit Broadband is not available at ... yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

I’ve been looking at the Vodafone FTTH Checker using http://webalert.me/ over the last few days to see what is happening with it. I used an Eircode that I know is not live yet, but is due to be live in the coming weeks (available soon on Airwire, DPs on poles on some parts of the road, Openeir say 2nd 1/2 2018). I got some interesting results.

Binary data!:D

I use an alerter called https://www.changedetection.com/

and it would be a pretty good idea to use that to alert me when pages change on airwire / eir checker / vodafone and others but I am not sure how I could do that because when I put my eircode into those pages the address bar on the browser stays the same

and it would be a pretty good idea to use that to alert me when pages change on airwire / eir checker / vodafone and others but I am not sure how I could do that because when I put my eircode into those pages the address bar on the browser stays the same

That service probably can't do php requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

and it would be a pretty good idea to use that to alert me when pages change on airwire / eir checker / vodafone and others ...

Its the databases that you need to watch and, to be fair, every time airwire update their database Martin posts it on here.

So....seeing as Airwire seem to be the most accurate being subbed to this thread does what you're looking for :pac::D:D

• Advertisement

That's why I use the webalert.me app. It is able to do that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement