Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

tuxy wrote: »
    That service probably can't do php requests.
    Its the databases that you need to watch and, to be fair, every time airwire update their database Martin posts it on here.

It's a HTTP POST, that a such a checker would need to support.

Our check tool can also be queried by direct link. https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/XXXXXXX

Replace XXXXXXX with your eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Diffusion utility services installed this on pole opposite my house today. How long more in your opinion before I see decent broadband to my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,070 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If they can ever manage to get the pole vertical, 2 to 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It's a HTTP POST, that a such a checker would need to support.

Our check tool can also be queried by direct link. https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/XXXXXXX

Replace XXXXXXX with your eircode.

thanks that's handy

givecredit wrote: »
    Diffusion utility services installed this on pole opposite my house today. How long more in your opinion before I see decent broadband to my home.

Diffusion installed DP's to our poles in august - its now December and still no service - sorry to be there bearer of bad news ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

Happy to say that I got connected. The guy from KN showed up on Tuesday and went to install it overhead (expected that as I have no duct). He told me he couldn't complete the work because the pole he needed to access is surrounded by a tall ditch and that he'd be back on Thursday or Friday with a hoist. My grandmother's installation was scheduled for the same day and she got connected without any issues.

I got a call from KN on Thursday confirming that they'd be back on Friday with a hoist to complete the installation. He was there for about 2 hours total and installed it without a hitch this time. I wanted it in the hallway so he brought the fibre in the gable end, through the attic, and then down through the ceiling to the hallway. I thought this was a bit odd as I know on OpenEir's site it says they never install in attics but it seemed this KN engineer didn't mind.

Delighted overall. Getting a steady 285 down and 48 up wired, with a ping of 4-6ms. Big improvement from a very unreliable 10 down (more like 5-9 down) and well under 1 up. I used to always get constant ping spikes, well over 100ms, sometimes even in the thousands. I'm using Google Wifi and it's excellent. I get fantastic coverage everywhere and very solid speeds (I'm getting near the 300 on wifi but it does dip due to nature of wifi and when there's a lot of devices on the network). I've seen people online discussing connecting Google Wifi directly to the ONT on the plusnet forums but I had no luck getting that working yet. Has anyone else here tried that?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bcross12 wrote: »
    Has anyone else here tried that?

Incompatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

bcross12 wrote: »
    I've seen people online discussing connecting Google Wifi directly to the ONT on the plusnet forums but I had no luck getting that working yet. Has anyone else here tried that?

No support for vlan tagging with Google WIFI, you might be thinking of the Netgear ORBI

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

tuxy wrote: »
    No support for vlan tagging with Google WIFI, you might be thinking of the Netgear ORBI

Cheers for the info! It's not a big deal for me, I was more so just curious. I have two Google Wifi points and I'm very happy with them so I've no need to swap to the Orbi.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/Google-WiFI-with-FTTP-and-Hub-One/td-p/1496009

This is the post I was looking at :)

UK ISP, UK system.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    UK ISP, UK system.

UK vs Irsh FTTH system - is any one better system over the other - or do they both excel in their own ways?

and on the same kind of question - any advantages to using a system which has to have Wlan setting over a system that dont need it?
    - and I wonder why there just isnt there an international standard that countries can adhere to when it comes to fibre broadband , why does there have to be different systems for different countries?

There is a standard, 802.1Q. Its old, established and supported by many.

Google are suffering from bay area syndrome, same thing often happens with Apple etc. Around there most high speed connections are provided by way of a cable modem, those systems don't tend to tag frames so its not something their engineers really consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys my area is supposed to getting Eir Fibre

VMVZkXM.png

V4BGK40.png

I like to keep an eye on developments and it's always has the same status of 2nd half of this year.

It's November now and I live near the exchange and there's no work on it yet.

Slightly worrying.

sigh it's early December now and still no changes on https://fibrerollout.ie

Sill showing
    "Broadband is not currently available at your address. However your address is on open eir’s rural fibre rollout programme offering speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the second half of 2018."

Guys is there any contact email I send an email to and hopefully get some answers on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

As far as I know fibrerollout.ie hasn't been updated since around May

No one can tell you when it will be available til about 4 weeks prior to the live date when everyone gets the data like Airwire and there is an actual date given by OE (tho that can be pushed out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Headshot wrote: »
    sigh it's early December now and still no changes on https://fibrerollout.ie

Sill showing
    "Broadband is not currently available at your address. However your address is on open eir’s rural fibre rollout programme offering speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the second half of 2018."

Guys is there any contact email I send an email to and hopefully get some answers on this.

fibrerollout has not been updated since May and can be considered abandoned. Perhaps some of the ISPs posting here will be able to help you but the best indication is work taking place in your area. open eir have said the project will not be finished until mid 2019 so the build in your area may have been pushed back.

open eir can be contacted on fibrepower@openeir.ie or @openeir on Twitter.

Golden, Tipperary has been moved into Q1/2019, I'm afraid. The data there seems out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There a source for anything current

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Varik wrote: »
    There a source for anything current

The providers have a document, but nothing that can be accessed public. Airwire are looking into adding extra info.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Golden, Tipperary has been moved into Q1/2019, I'm afraid. The data there seems out of date.

Would "Available soon" on the airwire site mean Q1/2019? I'm guessing it does at this late stage in mid December. No work going on in the area in question either.

• Advertisement

thanks Martin.

and yet again peep's its still 'coming soon' to my eircode. I cannot really envisage it becoming available to me this side of Christmas now the way it is looking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Just checked here. It's telling me available 9th January 2019. How reliable is this?

givecredit wrote: »
    Just checked here. It's telling me available 9th January 2019. How reliable is this?

Ish.

If there are no complications in your area, the providers will be able to order from that date.

So there's a good chance that you can have a connection mid January.

Those dates are provided by OpenEIR.

/M

so, the local eir rep called on me tonight out of the blue - knocked on the door. He hasnt been around for months. Nice lad but tried to get me interested in signing up for the fibre to the cabinet VDSL which is live - I said no I would only be getting 7 down and 1 up - no, he said we have tested up here and its 24mbps down (its 1.5km from the cabinet so I shouldnt think so) - any way I had to say to him that no, I am gonna hold out for 150mbps FTTH which hopefully will be active soon and that it would be silly to sign up for VDSL when (I hope) FTTH is just around the corner for me - he understood and didnt push it and went on his way.

Where are you, FOTS are only doing FTTH so that sounds a bit suspicious

fritzelly wrote: »

He's outside Sligo. Some sales guys are trying to sell whatever they can.

Selling FTTC at 1km+ is silly though.

/M

Nice lad
    he said we have tested up here and its 24mbps down (its 1.5km from the cabinet so I shouldnt think so)
    he understood and didnt push it and went on his way.

Nice lad
    Lies about speed
    As soon as he knew he was wasting his time went on his way to catch out some vulnerable people to trap them in a 1 year contract with the company from hell.

FOTS are supposed to be doing ftth sales only but they are total feckers, so many stories

fritzelly wrote: »

what is this FOTS though speaketh of? :)

is it sweary language?

but yeah I said to him I doubt if it would be 24mbps up hear a kilometer and half away but he disputed it and said it was. - I'd have to see it first hand to believe it and i doubt i will see it. People in my area only have ADSL or FWA or are waiting for the FTTH to become live same as me

EDIT: oh yeah I think there is a 4G / LTE service here as well. Think imagine are pushing it

• Advertisement

I'm almost exactly 1.5km from my exchange by road, not sure about cable length but signal strenght to the modem would suggest that cable was about that length too.
    I had ADSL at 15 Mbit, Eir tried to get me to "upgrade" to 12 Mbit VDSL a few times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement