Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

irishgeo wrote: »
    whats the standard way ftth comes into a house.

KN bring a fibre to your premise .. very much a phone line .. but it's a fibre cable. A ONT (Optical Network Termination) then gets mounted and that needs power.

From there you connect to your router using a Cat5e or Cat6 cable.

Both SIRO and OpenEIR FTTH use VLan 10 for the customer facing connection.

Some providers do IPoE, some do PPPoE and some offer either/or for authentication.

At least 8 providers offering FTTH on OpenEIR currently. At least 8 on SIRO also, but there differing from area to area.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Ftth finally available for me, but I have no ducting to the house and I don't want an overhead install as it will be too low coming into the house.
    What are my options for getting ducting? Are there any private contractors offering the service? I am based in Kildare.

Ftth finally available for me, but I have no ducting to the house and I don't want an overhead install as it will be too low coming into the house.
    What are my options for getting ducting? Are there any private contractors offering the service? I am based in Kildare.

KN has a service like that. I think TLI are doing it also. Or a local contractor/builder.

Ducting on private land is now unfortunately the property owners or builders problem. Changes in planning laws a few years back, but it means that any telecoms provider can use the ducting whereas before only Eircom could use ducting, that Eircom put in place .. even on private land.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just to point out that if you have no ducting and want to go for an overhead install it probably won't come in at the same point as your previous phone line. A small hole will be drilled in the exterior wall in the most convenient location. In my case I was very happy as the job done was very tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

pure Telecom have a green tick before the word 'line Rental' insinuating there is line rental on FTTH ... there's no line rental on FTTH is there?

https://www.puretelecom.ie/residential/fibre

• Advertisement

pure Telecom have a green tick before the word 'line Rental' insinuating there is line rental on FTTH ... there's no line rental on FTTH is there?

https://www.puretelecom.ie/residential/fibre

As such, there is line rental on any openeir line. In bundles it's included.

Because they are providing your phone service, they are mentioning that your line rental is included in the price.

And yes .. if you were to be provided with a phone line only using FTTH (which is an upcoming product) there would be line rental. It's just not spelled out at the moment, as Eir (retail) are bundling it all up.

It's an obsolete term for anyone, that orders standalone broadband. Broadband pricing generally includes everything.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Not in any of the major papers but bizarrely reported in Donegal Now, it appears Sky have made an appeal to the High Court over the recent decision by Comreg to equalise the connection and migration charges for open eir FTTH. Obviously this decision hurts Sky's business model but I believe the Comreg ruling is bad for all ISPs bar Eir retail.

https://www.donegalnow.com/news/sky-ireland-lodges-appeal-relation-broadband-market-review-concerns-impact-rural-ireland/262241

Edit:

Originally reported by the Times Ireland edition:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eirs-170-broadband-connection-fee-goes-to-court-in-battle-with-sky-ireland-5knbrfzf3

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

Long time lurker on this thread.

So after a long wait my property/eircode has been showing as FTTH available since 23/11/18 as per Airwire.

This made sense as my current satellite provider called on the same date to say they could now do FTTH - happy days. I did think it was strange though as never saw any lines being run on the poles right outside the house nor did I see any DP's up on the poles.

Either way OpenEir called, arranged installation. KN arrived - a confused technician who as I had suspected couldn't see any lines or DP's. Later get a response from @OpenEir that there was "a technical issue" with installation.

So how can they show an area as live but not have even run the lines? We've even had multiple providers calling trying to sell FTTH and I have to tell them that it is not actually here yet!

Now thankfully I have seen since Friday that a lot of poles on the road, have a role of white wire/piping tied up to them. Can I assume that these are fibre lines?

New user so I can't post links, images etc.

I'm hoping this means we are ever so closer to FTTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,070 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not in any of the major papers but bizarrely reported in Donegal Now, it appears Sky have made an appeal to the High Court over the recent decision by Comreg to equalise the connection and migration charges for open eir FTTH. Obviously this decision hurts Sky's business model but I believe the Comreg ruling is bad for all ISPs bar Eir retail.

https://www.donegalnow.com/news/sky-ireland-lodges-appeal-relation-broadband-market-review-concerns-impact-rural-ireland/262241

Edit:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eirs-170-broadband-connection-fee-goes-to-court-in-battle-with-sky-ireland-5knbrfzf3

No sympathy for Sky; another freeloader like Vodafone.

Long time lurker on this thread.

So after a long wait my property/eircode has been showing as FTTH available since 23/11/18 as per Airwire.

This made sense as my current satellite provider called on the same date to say they could now do FTTH - happy days. I did think it was strange though as never saw any lines being run on the poles right outside the house nor did I see any DP's up on the poles.

Either way OpenEir called, arranged installation. KN arrived - a confused technician who as I had suspected couldn't see any lines or DP's. Later get a response from @OpenEir that there was "a technical issue" with installation.

So how can they show an area as live but not have even run the lines? We've even had multiple providers calling trying to sell FTTH and I have to tell them that it is not actually here yet!

Now thankfully I have seen since Friday that a lot of poles on the road, have a role of white wire/piping tied up to them. Can I assume that these are fibre lines?

New user so I can't post links, images etc.

I'm hoping this means we are ever so closer to FTTH!

It was probably just an Eircode mix up.

The white piping is likely ducting for the fibre cable. It sounds like you are a few months away from going live if they are only at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Edit:

I would hope they succeed ...... not because I have any love for Sky, but because the new payments really hammer consumers choices.

I really don't understand how/why Comreg did not (apparently) consider this aspect.

I would hope they succeed ...... not because I have any love for Skype, but because the new payments really hammer consumers choices.

I really don't understand how/why Comreg did not (apparently) consider this aspect.

It will be interesting to see if Sky get any support from the other ISPs involved. I think it would make a more compelling case if another big player such as Vodafone got onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Airwire's checker has gone from "Not available" to "Available soon", good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Marlow wrote: »
    Both SIRO and OpenEIR FTTH use VLan 10 for the customer facing connection.

I assume you can use other VLAN's on the LAN as long as traffic is tagged with VLAN 10 when it egress' the network onto the internet?

I assume you can use other VLAN's on the LAN as long as traffic is tagged with VLAN 10 when it egress' the network onto the internet?

Yes.

The WAN has nothing to do with the LAN. Those are physically independant networks.

Whatever Vlan choices you make on the one side means nothing on the other side of the router.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Thanks chaps

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Racket wrote: »
    KN guy was out this morning to set it all up and put it on in here in Monaghan. Said that we seemed to be the first ones in the area that were getting connected, and joked that he hoped it was actually up and running when he went up the pole. Turns out he wasn't able to get anything from the pole, so it's been cancelled for now until OpenEir have things working properly for the area I guess. Hopefully can be sorted soon enough at this stage and the install isn't delayed too far into the future.

Just as a further to this, couple of KN lads were up the pole today at the black box for about 15-20 minutes. Don't know if this would have been the issue sorted, and even if it had been, I'm guessing it's a bit late for a pre-Christmas install? Hopefully things get sorted quite early on in the new year though.

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Airwire's checker has gone from "Not available" to "Available soon", good stuff.

sorry i could be bearer of bad news but I have been 'coming soon' for a couple of months now - (i'm might be a special case though .. and most will agree! :) )

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

sorry i could be bearer of bad news but I have been 'coming soon' for a couple of months now - (i'm might be a special case though .. and most will agree! :) )
    It makes sense that I'd be listed as soon, I've been tracking the physical progress towards me because I'm the very last house in the very last FTTH area this way, and the area before us that we needed to have the fibre on the poles before we can get it, now has it.

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    It makes sense that I'd be listed as soon, I've been tracking the physical progress towards me because I'm the very last house in the very last FTTH area this way, and the area before us that we needed to have the fibre on the poles before we can get it, now has it.

fibre and the DP's have been on our poles since around august .

I like the DM tweet I got back from OpenEir saying I would be able to place order in the first week of December.. thats been and gone and its still not available.

what a waiting game , it just doesnt seem to be any urgency on their behalf to finish off the FTTH job and get it up and running.

Surely the problem that is holding it up cannot be that big surely? - the cabinet has been VDSL live for the past month

• Registered Users Posts: 20,070 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

DP's went on the poles in late Feb. but fiber didn't become available until May. I gather there was a problem with blocked ducts in the village which caused a good bit of delay. So while you might think the DP's on poles would be the last thing to be done, that isn't necessarily the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

cnocbui wrote: »
    DP's went on the poles in late Feb. but fiber didn't become available until May. I gather there was a problem with blocked ducts in the village which caused a good bit of delay. So while you might think the DP's on poles would be the last thing to be done, that isn't necessarily the case.

No Dps on poles here - coming soon though - lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Can't seem to open the link Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's working find for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

tuxy wrote: »
    It's working find for me.

cheers tuxy

working fine for me now too, def wasn't earlier though.

I've asked Santa for a gift of making FTTH available to order at my address for early part of January 2019 - if is isn't then I will not believe in Santa any more....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've asked Santa for a gift of making FTTH available to order at my address for early part of January 2019 - if is isn't then I will not believe in Santa any more....

Sorry to break it to you but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

turbbo wrote: »
    No Dps on poles here - coming soon though - lol!
    The DPS only went on pole on 8th December. I'm going live on 9th Jan 2019. So there is hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement