Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭plodder

It will be interesting to see if Sky get any support from the other ISPs involved. I think it would make a more compelling case if another big player such as Vodafone got onboard.
    Regardless I'd say they must have a good chance. The charges have to bear some relationship to the level of actual work involved and there is no comparison between an initial connection and switching retailer.

Maybe Eir argued that they were losing out from customers who signed up with them and then switched during the cooling off period. But, that was a problem with Eir's business model, not anything to do with how the charges system should be structured. Sounds like a major mistake by Comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

plodder wrote: »
    Regardless I'd say they must have a good chance. The charges have to bear some relationship to the level of actual work involved and there is no comparison between an initial connection and switching retailer.

Maybe Eir argued that they were losing out from customers who signed up with them and then switched during the cooling off period. But, that was a problem with Eir's business model, not anything to do with how the charges system should be structured. Sounds like a major mistake by Comreg.

I don't think it is anything to do with eir. They were proposing a completely different reimbursement model, that would have been more equitable in my opinion.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107996404#post107996404

As far as I can see this is all on Comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

givecredit wrote: »
    The DPS only went on pole on 8th December. I'm going live on 9th Jan 2019. So there is hope.

Hope you're right - still no dps on the poles though on the 19th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sky now offer FTTH with OpenEir
    It seems that the setup fee is €100 even if you already have a line installed.

So while they are objecting to the new connection and migration charges their current pricing model seems to be based off of those changes going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    Sky now offer FTTH with OpenEir
    It seems that the setup fee is €100 even if you already have a line installed.

So while they are objecting to the new connection and migration charges their current pricing model seems to be based off of those changes going ahead.

when you say 'line' do you mean telephone line as in PSTN/POTS/copper ? - as that would be FTTC

or are you using the word 'line' as in even if you have fibre (fiber) cable running to the door of your house (or even ONT in place from another supplier) they will still charge the €100 fee if you go with them ?

• Advertisement

Edit: Looks like I got this wrong

€50 one-off cost if you answer yes to already having FTTH installed

de90c1cb38e0bf9f9c78d079eb1f450d.png

€200 one-off cost if you don't have it installed

744324a7b913c9466e2249aa1e420458.png

This is the popup you get when you click terms and condition in both cases.
    98e4847b37f618bb5a54bb9a08e42124.png

So now I'm confused as the combined one off cost and setup charge seem excessive.
    €50 one-off cost if you already have ftth and €99 setup hidden in the terms and conditions
    €200 one-off cost and €99 setup hidden in the terms and conditions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I won't be going anywhere near Sky Fibre Ultra.

after the 12 months is up they are the most expensive FTTH provider in the country for the 150/350 packages.

Their FUP is written like an April Fools joke, to be 'fair'.

then there's the hidden set up fees after the once off cost.

Why would anyone go for this when there are providers already offering a completely uncapped product with better modems for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I've seen someone sign up for eir get up and running tried to bridge their sky q modem with eir's f2000 before giving up and just sticking the sky q modem in worked without any issue.pays eir for BB uses sky infrastructure. He was coming from ADSL connection. Didn't know the q boxes worked over dmt ADSL but there ya go.
    The short of it is even if a provider won't let you sign up with them you likely will just be able to use their equipment if you have it to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Gonzo wrote: »
    I won't be going anywhere near Sky Fibre Ultra.

after the 12 months is up they are the most expensive FTTH provider in the country for the 150/350 packages.

Their FUP is written like an April Fools joke, to be 'fair'.

then there's the hidden set up fees after the once off cost.

Why would anyone go for this when there are providers already offering a completely uncapped product with better modems for cheaper.
    They seem to just want to inch their way into this sector of the market. Very slow to launch and now an uncompetitive product. They are probably just positioning themselves for when/if the NBP and Eir's urban rollout delivers a bigger market.

Or maybe the majors are just very wary of the cost of the 'real' rural customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Is that Sky 350Mb/s a new FTTH profile now available? Thought it was 150/300/1000?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

MBSnr wrote: »
    Is that Sky 350Mb/s a new FTTH profile now available? Thought it was 150/300/1000?

seems odd alright, OpenEir just have 150/300 and 1000, unless they are thinking of changing/adding new profiles.

It looks like they made a mistake and are showing the SIRO speed profiles.

The extra fee is now showing as Installation and set-up fees from with price change to €60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Sorry, off topic, but would like to wish all on this thread a Happy Christmas & New Year. To those who have already received ftth, enjoy it over the festive period :). To the rest of us, hopefully santa will grant our wish :)

got so excited a minute ago because I saw a KN van outside my house , orange lights flashing on van and one man up a pole (yeah I know, isnt it sad getting excited at seeing a KN van outside your house) - anyway asked the man on the ground "is this for FTTH, are you checking to see if there is a light at the DP?" - anyway turns out they were just installing a new POTS/PSTN copper phone line for someone in the area no more no less - shame. No, didnt know anything about the FTTH or when it will go live "different department/people- we only do the copper work" keep contacting open eir he said thats all you can do.

That was that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

1TB cap with Sky Fibre Ultra
    Sky Fibre Ultra has a limit (or usage cap) on the amount of data you can download in any month (1TB/ Terabyte). Your usage must not exceed that monthly cap. Usage caps may be updated from time to time. The first time you go over the usage cap Sky can write to you. The alert will let you know what will happen if you go over the cap again. If you continue to exceed the usage cap we may suspend or terminate your services.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With the risk they'd keep their word, avoid avoid avoid. Everyone else saw the lunacy in 1Gb/s with 1TB cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Guys have the KN workers gone on Xmas holidays, I ask this to people who have seen them working in their area. I was down for second half of 2018, they were in the general area about half a mile from me putting up the wire and a few new poles. I stopped about 1.5 weeks ago and asked one of the installers if I would be going live soon, the guys said maybe in the first 2 weeks of January. I was chuffed but then over the next few days they just disappeared. I'm thinking now he meant they'd be putting up the wires in my locality in the first few weeks of January. Just sad to see they has disappeared off the face of the earth around my area. I know it's close to Xmas now but they went well over a week ago.

Gone on hols or left my area out for the foreseeable future do you reckon ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Guys have the KN workers gone on Xmas holidays, I ask this to people who have seen them working in their area. I was down for second half of 2018, they were in the general area about half a mile from me putting up the wire and a few new poles. I stopped about 1.5 weeks ago and asked one of the installers if I would be going live soon, the guys said maybe in the first 2 weeks of January. I was chuffed but then over the next few days they just disappeared. I'm thinking now he meant they'd be putting up the wires in my locality in the first few weeks of January. Just sad to see they has disappeared off the face of the earth around my area. I know it's close to Xmas now but they went well over a week ago.

Gone on hols or left my area out for the foreseeable future do you reckon ?

Thanks

Neither.

Different crews do different parts of the install scheme, and move about to where they are required.
    A different crew will do the next stage ..... when allocated to them and they are free.

Openeir determine the priority so there is no means of knowing when any crew will turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Neither.

Different crews do different parts of the install scheme, and move about to where they are required.
    A different crew will do the next stage ..... when allocated to them and they are free.

Openeir determine the priority so there is no means of knowing when any crew will turn up.

I hear you. But the guys were literally swarming all over the local area. One of the actual KN vans were having a look at my road, then all at once they all disappeared.

But yes I'll just have to hope in the early new year they return.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

tuxy wrote: »
    It looks like they made a mistake and are showing the SIRO speed profiles.

The extra fee is now showing as Installation and set-up fees from with price change to €60

Maybe this allows them to sell both eir & siro on one package as its 'up to 350'.
    So if its on SIRO line, customer gets 350, on Openeir line, customer gets '300'.

the alternative would be to sell it as a 300 package but then customers on the SIRO line get 350.
    This way, people on openeir infrastructure can be fooled into thinking they can get a higher package from SKY than they could Eir...

• Advertisement

The Sky reps on the talk to forum seem to be suggesting that the info about FTTH from their site is only a guideline for speed and price. You have to make contact to get the exact info.
    Seems fairly incompetent if they can't give accurate info based on eircode.

Hmmm Sky are very reluctant to give out any pricing details on the talk to forum. They will only talk about it in private messages, very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Ordered my Fibre to the Home connection this morning from Eir. I Feel like a child waiting on Santa to arrive. Great feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Looks like Thursday is finally gonna be the big day. Seems our whole road hadn't been lit until this past Monday, as the KN guy said he'd been installing a decent amount of premises around the area in the past two weeks, but it was just our road with the issues. Two of our neighbours got installed today though, one of which was run from the pole we'll be connected to, so hopefully now a good end to 2018 and can move on from the 6/.3 speed of the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

givecredit wrote: »
    Ordered my Fibre to the Home connection this morning from Eir. I Feel like a child waiting on Santa to arrive. Great feeling!

Have you taken note in this thread of the topic of ducting, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

cnocbui wrote: »
    Have you taken note in this thread of the topic of ducting, etc?
    Yes. Thanks. All in place.

Racket wrote: »
    Looks like Thursday is finally gonna be the big day. ...

they are installing on Christmas week are they?? - that be unusual wouldnt it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

they are installing on Christmas week are they?? - that be unusual wouldnt it be?

It's not a bank holiday. Lot of people would be back to work Thursday/ Friday. Not everyone will take full week off work.

I've seen a few tweets complaining that their broadband is down and there are no engineers available until the 27th so it looks like the KN guys are back to work that day.

• Advertisement

OK , I stand corrected then . I can understand emergency crews over Christmas period getting peoples phone lines reconnected say if there was a storm and phone lines down ... But I would not have had them Down for ftth installs on the Christmas week to be honest . I'm surprised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement